Arlie, I know it will be smaller in version one, but I was wondering what your thought process was in roster size? One thing I love about college football is the fact that each team has 85 scholarship players and a handful on walk-ons. I like looking at the cornerback situation at a school and see 6-7 corners there. I like the fact that most schools have 4-5 QB's. I think it is one think that make college football unique and different from the NFL. Therefore why is roster size limited in BBCF? In a text based game I would assume all that would have to happen for roster sizes to be 85+ would simply be to generate enough players for each school. Therefore I am simply wondering why is roster size limited to less than real life? Thanks Scott P.S. I am in AZ, so the beta testing can begin :)

The main reason is data storage. BBCF will store season and career stats for every player to ever get a passing attempt, rushing attempt, reception, tackle, ... I set the scholarship limit at around 66 (roster limit at 75) to err on the safe side from a performance and stability standpoint. If the game ends up progressing well with few performance or storage issues, there's good chance I could up the limits in a future version.

Arlie, What happens after recruiting if I exceed my roster limit? Will I be allowed to cut players from my roster? What will happen to those players? In NCAA 2006 they just disappear. How will you work it with the database? If a program like USC has to cut some three star recruits will another program be able to get them?

[QUOTE]The main reason is data storage. BBCF will store season and career stats for every player to ever get a passing attempt, rushing attempt, reception, tackle, ... [/QUOTE] Perhaps a solution would be to allow us to choose what info to archive. To be honest if I was running a dynasty I would be inclined to only want to know my entire team history, the leaders from each season as well as the all-time leaders at the other schools. I wouldnt need to know who was the 3rd leading receiver at UTEP in 2009. I would rather have the room be there for expanded rosters.

This would then entail having to code AI to handle several different roster sizes, change the number of necessary recruits, etc. To correspond with the button. The leaderboards themselves are likely not stored, just the stats for all of the players. While it's not an impossible thing to do, it's probably not something for the first version of the game.

Archived