Real player names

I wonder if it would be possible to take FAIRDALE KINGS or Blacklover's real roster names for NCAA 2006 and create a file to be used in Bowlbound? It would be interesting to see if we would be able to import/export a file like that. Any thoughts on some thing like this?

Any type of import/utility like that would have to be done by a third party. Might it be possible to do directly, perhaps (although I doubt it's all that easy)... and it would be pretty time consuming to do a complete roster set just from transcribing the work of others (and then figuring how the ratings translate to BB ratings).

Scott, Great points. I understand it would be a third party utility. I am no computer guru but I wanted to throw it out there for some one who was so they could down load those roster files to see if they would be able to at least export the real names and numbers of the players out of those files. If we were able to do that part if it is possible, than we would only have to worry about incorporating the 2006 ratings in to the BB ratings which we haven't seen yet and import that info in to BB. A real roster file would be a nice touch and all we would have to do is the conversion to BB ratings. [QUOTE=Scott Vibert]Any type of import/utility like that would have to be done by a third party. Might it be possible to do directly, perhaps (although I doubt it's all that easy)... and it would be pretty time consuming to do a complete roster set just from transcribing the work of others (and then figuring how the ratings translate to BB ratings).[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Danny Drickman]slingblade you wouldn't prefer that development time be spent on making the game better?[/QUOTE] I don't know Danny. One could say that all that time working on making the game better and not working on a fake real roster set didn't help TPF all that much. :D

[QUOTE=Arlie Rahn]The problem with investing a great deal of time and doing rosters for 119 teams is that they are all gone in 4-5 years and replaced with fake guys.[/QUOTE] How are the rosters currently constructed then for the teams when you set them up? Is their going to be a fair amount of great players on small teams because of that?

Arlie is it a random Fictional generator? so the names and ratings are always different when starting a new Fictional Universe? Jim for Front office football makes a real roster and changes the name and teams to fake names to protect the innocent. but then he lets someone else have the real roster set and team names for them to make available for everyone else. i hope you can do the same too for Bowl Bound.

The universe is completely fictional and different each time you start the game. Rather then spending time trying to figure out ratings for 75 players for each of 119 teams, we figured development time was better spent elsewhere. (FWIW this is the same approach that TCY takes to its initial rosters as well)

[QUOTE=Scott Vibert]The universe is completely fictional and different each time you start the game. Rather then spending time trying to figure out ratings for 75 players for each of 119 teams, we figured development time was better spent elsewhere. (FWIW this is the same approach that TCY takes to its initial rosters as well)[/QUOTE] I couldn't agree more. A real roster in a college sports game just really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

If the ability is allowed in the game to make a real roster set then I am CONSIDERING doing it. Just wanted to let Arlie and Co. know that at least one person would be willing to put in the required effort if the capacity is there to do it in the game and there is some kind of reasonable scale info for how the ratings translate to real-life performance. Some may not think it makes a lot of sense but I believe that the immersion factor is helped GREATLY by starting off with true to life rosters. If not then I'll live with it. :).

The best thing to do is part out the responsiblity to different people that are very familiar with a particular conference. For example, I could do the Big 12 because I could follow it so closely. Someone else could do the SEC North, SEC South, ACC, Big 10, Pac 10, etc..and then put all the pieces together. That way the most I have to do is 12 teams, but until we understand BBCF's rating structure, that all will be a moot point.

[QUOTE=Arlie Rahn]The problem with investing a great deal of time and doing rosters for 119 teams is that they are all gone in 4-5 years and replaced with fake guys.[/QUOTE] Well see, that depends on why and how you play. I like taking a significant amount of time with each year, and letting the drama build, adding to the immersion factor. Others like to get through years quickly. For example on the TDCB boards I was known as the only one who would play out all the games for just this reason, while many others liked to sim. That's fine, but really it loses a lot for me because you don't build any kind of emotional connection to your players. So 4-5 years is a significant amount of time for me, even if it might not be for everyone. The big question I need to know from the devs plz is this: Will there be support for a roster file if someone so chooses? If there isn't, would it be possible to create a game, then edit the players and distribute the roster that way? If so, can you switch the user team in BBCF like the functionality that was added to do so in TDCB? Because if the answer to all of these questions is no, then its not worth my time to seriously pursue the project of making a roster. If it IS possible, however, I'd like to do it -- even if some in the community may think it not worth the effort.

[QUOTE=Danny Drickman]slingblade you wouldn't prefer that development time be spent on making the game better?[/QUOTE] Damn straight. I prefer the fake names anyway, especially with a college game, where there's complete turnover in four years ... so much effort to create a complete roster set that you can only play for four seasons.

Archived