Don't believe I've seen this discussed, but will fighters make challenges to other fighters? If so will they challenge someone that may be a free agent or in another promotion? I think this would be interesting as the fans would get behind it, and would make for a high dollar fight.

Extending the question... With the tangible statistic of interest in a match, will there be a visual clue to rivalries? Can rivalries develop if, say, interest in a match is high and the fighters had previously fought a couple times? Can being an owner "force" a rivalry (i.e. a storyline like in TEW), or would any such rivalry exist only by booking correctly? Perhaps rivals can challenge each other after a particularly close match? And forgive me if there are no such things as the usual concept of a rivalry in MMA... I have absolutely ZERO knowledge in the sport. You could tell me that fighters routinely fight blindfolded and I'd believe you. ;) Actually... there doesn't happen to be an MMA For Dummies site out there, is there?

[QUOTE=PyroFalkon;301068]Extending the question... With the tangible statistic of interest in a match, will there be a visual clue to rivalries? Can rivalries develop if, say, interest in a match is high and the fighters had previously fought a couple times? Can being an owner "force" a rivalry (i.e. a storyline like in TEW), or would any such rivalry exist only by booking correctly? Perhaps rivals can challenge each other after a particularly close match? And forgive me if there are no such things as the usual concept of a rivalry in MMA... I have absolutely ZERO knowledge in the sport. You could tell me that fighters routinely fight blindfolded and I'd believe you. ;) Actually... there doesn't happen to be an MMA For Dummies site out there, is there?[/QUOTE] Well, I can't speak on behalf of the game but you can get a lot of rivalry in MMA. There has been many Sakuraba Vs The Gracie family, Baroni Vs Shamrock, The Shamrocks Vs The Gracies in the early days, Shamrock Vs Frye, De Lucia Vs Bas just to name a few. The majority of the fighters tend to stay respectable but you will get one or two that are real arguments such as Frye Shamrock and Bas DeLucia.

[QUOTE=PyroFalkon;301068]Extending the question... With the tangible statistic of interest in a match, will there be a visual clue to rivalries? Can rivalries develop if, say, interest in a match is high and the fighters had previously fought a couple times? Can being an owner "force" a rivalry (i.e. a storyline like in TEW), or would any such rivalry exist only by booking correctly? Perhaps rivals can challenge each other after a particularly close match? And forgive me if there are no such things as the usual concept of a rivalry in MMA... I have absolutely ZERO knowledge in the sport. You could tell me that fighters routinely fight blindfolded and I'd believe you. ;) Actually... there doesn't happen to be an MMA For Dummies site out there, is there?[/QUOTE] Haha.. no, unfortunately there is no MMA for dummies. But, I did do an article a while ago to explain the basics of MMA. Um.. Pancrase's Early Shows.. UFC's first 10 Shows.. Watch PRIDE Decade. Though it leaves out Mirko vs Fedor. :confused: Try and find some Shooto. IFL is a novel concept with some pretty good fights. :D Elite XC / Strike Force is good to catch now, they look like they're coming up. Cage Rage has had some good fighters pass through. Notably for me Melvin Manhoef. Depends on what you want to learn, do you want to learn about the History of MMA, or do you want to learn about what they're doing in the fight?

I suppose a bit of both... although the fight itself (or rather, its rules and such) interest me more than famous matches. Like with boxing, before I played TBCB, I had seen only a couple bouts and never knew any additional rules beyond "punch the holy hell out of your opponent." I had to learn what "hitting on the break" was, for example. One of these days I should probably catch a UFC broadcast or something...

[QUOTE=BlizzardVeers;301106]Haha.. no, unfortunately there is no MMA for dummies. But, I did do an article a while ago to explain the basics of MMA. [/QUOTE] Actually [url=http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Ultimate-Fighting/dp/1592576559/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-8355023-0057208?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192644603&sr=8-1]there is...[/url] Although I can't vouch for the Zuffa revisionism that probably made it to that book.

Archived