Wii or X-Box 360?

flamebrain

My return to studentdom is finally paying off in the shape of student loan goodness. :D First up is a DS Lite but, after that, I feel like a new console. Trouble is, I don't know which one to go for. PS3 has priced itself out of my consideration which leaves Wii and 360. The 360 is around £150 more than the Wii and the games are more expensive but, if I get my money's worth from it all's good. I'm not huge on FPS games and that is putting me off Microsoft's offering since so many games seem to be in that mould, but Wii doesn't seem to have a lot of "long" games. Anyone know which platform is going to have the most RPGs in the vein of FF and Suikoden? I'm just worried I drop a few hundred for an expensive paperweight rather than a console I play often! :o Would anyone care to tell me which they went for and why?

If you have friends that can play games in the same room as you, Wii any day of the week, if you will play it more single player, 360 any day of the week. I had both and to be honest, i never played the Wii single player, well i played resident evil for about 2 hours. The wii was brilliant with me and my friends but because we always met at his, i left the wii at his for 6 months as i never played it alone, so in the end he ended up buying it off me for £250. The 360 i do play alone and on Live (Rainbow 6 Vegas, Splinter Cell, Halo 3, Gears, Forza and FIFA 08) and i love it, its the second best console i've ever owned (behind the N64).

They are both great choices. However, 360 has more single player options, and Wii is more of a party system. Wii has great multiplayer games like Wario Ware and Mario Party and Wii Sports. If you're looking for single player, the best game that comes to mind is Twilight Princess if you like the Zelda games. Also, the virtual console is awesome! Overall, the system hasn't reached its potential yet and needs something great (SSBB in February should do it...). 360 has more and better story based games. If you like RPG's (or even if you don't), I strongly recommend The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. Although clearly an RPG, it doesn't feel like one. There is too much to describe, but I'd put it in my top 5 games ever for sure. Also, the arcade has some awesome stuff (GET GEOMETRY WARS! FIRST THING! Also, Uno is surprisingly fun...). Custom Soundtracks and streaming video and audio from your PC is a great feature. Also, the marketplace would run Blockbuster out of the movie rental business if it got more titles and the time restrictions weren't as dumb. TV shows and everything else on the Market is great as well... Right now, I'd go with 360, but I'd say the Wii is nearly as good. Both good investments.

How old are you? 15-26, 360. Older, Wii. My reasoning: Older gamers will be much more appreciative of the classics you can buy via Nintendo's online store than the ones available through the 360. Do you have a PC for gaming? If so, Wii. If not, PC. My reasoning: You can do Halo, Orange Box, Shadowrun, etc, on the PC. But the PC can't do the kinds of controls the Wii can. Do you do your multiplayer gaming online or face to face? Online, 360. Face to face, Wii. Do you have a DS already? If so, hey, get the Wii. I heard they're setting it up to download demos for the DS soon.

I'd say the 360 especially as finally the good stuff is starting to come out. I've already pre-ordered Smackdown vs Raw, Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed, and if these sound interesting to you then your choice should be a no brainer. Have you ever played with the eye-toy on ps2? If that's your kinda thing go for a Wii. It's all family orientated stuff - yeah sure there are games like Call Of Duty but they don't translate well to either the Wii's control or it's image and feels like a tacked on cash-in. It all depends on what floats you boat. Personally I'm getting a Wii after Xmas so I can play some safe family friendly games with my son as he's getting to an age where he wants to play computers and I don't want him playing Gears Of War (which is another good reason to get a 360 - especially online).

[QUOTE=WrestleManiac;308394]I'd say the 360 especially as finally the good stuff is starting to come out. I've already pre-ordered Smackdown vs Raw, [B]Mass Effect[/B] and Assassin's Creed, and if these sound interesting to you then your choice should be a no brainer. Have you ever played with the eye-toy on ps2? If that's your kinda thing go for a Wii. It's all family orientated stuff - yeah sure there are games like Call Of Duty but they don't translate well to either the Wii's control or it's image and feels like a tacked on cash-in. It all depends on what floats you boat. Personally I'm getting a Wii after Xmas so I can play some safe family friendly games with my son as he's getting to an age where he wants to play computers and I don't want him playing Gears Of War (which is another good reason to get a 360 - especially online).[/QUOTE] Once more, boiled down for emphasis: [QUOTE=WrestleManiac;308394][B]Mass Effect[/B][/QUOTE] It's still a month away, but if it's 10% as good as it looks those two words alone justify buying a 360.

[QUOTE=infinitywpi;308441]In order for a game to justify buying a system, it needs to be $310-460 worth of game.[/QUOTE] Rock Band? :D If you have even a passing interest in music, get Guitar Hero III (Which is on both the 360 and Wii, as well as the PS2) and Rock Band (360 and PS2). If you've played a Guitar Hero game, you probably think it's awesome. Rock Band is Guitar Hero, Karaoke Revolution, BeatMania, and... Bass... in one game. You can play with 4 instruments at a time in any combination of offline and online multiplayer. (2 online, 2 offline; 3 offline, 1 online; etc.) Also, every instrument but bass has it's on campaign mode, and there's a 4 part campaign. It's kinda like 5 games, 5 games, 5 games, 5 games, 5 games in one! (Sucka...)

I would say PS3 over any of them just because .. its not out that far of range its only about $100 more than the 360 and has had way less problems than 360 .. like me for instance I have no luck with 360's I bought one it got the red ring of death i brought it back to where i bought it they said they couldnt refund the money cuz it was like 4 months after i got it and said i had to talk to Microsoft so I called Microsoft they said it was my fault for not following the instructions by keeping it in a well ventilated area ... which isnt the case cuz my friend leaves his on 24/7 next to his TV, PS2, and Wii all of them are on. So I said forget since I'm getting screwed out of all of this I opened it up and tried to fix it myself which I couldnt figure out what was even wrong with it so my friend who always takes systems apart bought it off me for $50. then I went out bought another one.. same ****ing thing happens... so I called Microsoft again they said once again I didnt follow the instructions. it was about 3 months after i bought the second one.. and yeah I hate 360 .. it was fun but too much bull**** around it.

[QUOTE=Tyler Gadzinski;308881]I would say PS3 over any of them just because .. its not out that far of range its only about $100 more than the 360 and has had way less problems than 360 .. like me for instance I have no luck with 360's I bought one it got the red ring of death i brought it back to where i bought it they said they couldnt refund the money cuz it was like 4 months after i got it and said i had to talk to Microsoft so I called Microsoft they said it was my fault for not following the instructions by keeping it in a well ventilated area ... which isnt the case cuz my friend leaves his on 24/7 next to his TV, PS2, and Wii all of them are on. So I said forget since I'm getting screwed out of all of this I opened it up and tried to fix it myself which I couldnt figure out what was even wrong with it so my friend who always takes systems apart bought it off me for $50. then I went out bought another one.. same ****ing thing happens... so I called Microsoft again they said once again I didnt follow the instructions. it was about 3 months after i bought the second one.. and yeah I hate 360 .. it was fun but too much bull**** around it.[/QUOTE] Wow... y'know, it's strange how different people can have such different experiences with a console. I [i]did[/i] get the red ring of death after two years or so with my 360... but despite the fact that my warranty was expired, Microsoft was nice enough to replace it free of charge. Got it back the other day, actually! A piece of advice though: if you want a console repaired (especially when the company has extended all warranties to cover the problem, as with the RRoD), it's probably not a great idea to open up the case and mess around with the hardware yourself. :p But seriously dude... PS3? $100 extra for a console that boasts a grand total of [b]0[/b] games worth playing? Maybe once FFXIII comes out and there's a marquee title to consider I'll change my tune... but at the moment the PS3 is more like a $500 DVD player than a gaming system from where I'm standing.

360- has so many great game. xbox live is awsome on so many leavels. I have both a wii and 360 and the wii is gathering dust.... I like to be able to relax and play games not have to twist my arms to move. wii sports is awsome for a party game but 360 have many more games.

for PS3 you can play any PS2 and playstation games on it and they have Resistance Fall of Man which is great... Untold Legends Dark Kingdom which is a great RPG.. 360 has a bunch more great games and yes it cheaper but I just don't like the system due to personal experiance.. and i didnt open the system until after they told me they cant replace it. the second one that I still have they wont replace for some reason and I haven't opened it yet.. do you need to send the receipt in with your 360 to get a new one cuz I dont have the receipt any more so that could be a problem.

Tyler... I don't know what it's like in America but over here in UK Microsoft were named and shamed on watchdog (a tv show that looks out for consumer rights). As a result of the widespread problem you described, Microsoft extended it warrenties to 3 years. Saying that, however, one of my mates has gone through 6 xbox's (and he confesses to not looking after them properly), the first one went about 6 months past it's warrenty and xbox replaced it without receipts or confirmation or anything. They just took it off him and two weeks later gave him a new one. With his other 5 they didn't ask him for proof, either. Maybe you just lack the charm to woo the operator ;)

Archived