Japan! - A bit late :(

I am about 3 months late now, from when I spoke to Adam about some ideas, to posting them now :( I have forgotten what we spoke about, but have finally come up with some ideas/suggestions. ==Dojos== Dojos in Japan have begun to work a different way in the last few years. Most dojos have some sought of affiliation to a group, whether it is a pro-wrestling group actually owning the dojo (New Japan Dojo, All Japan Dojo etc.), or if a promotion has ceased to exist on a large scale, but still has it's own gym (BattlARTS Gym, U-Filecamp.com). These dojos produce talent who are affiliated with either that promotion or that gym, and if there is no home promotion associated with the gym, then they will freelance (while being recognised as coming from that gym). There have also been a wave of privately owned dojos being opened. The biggest and most known of these is the Kensuke Office, which is owned and run by Kensuke Sasaki and his wife, Akira Hokuto. Another big dojo which focuses on non-affiliated training is the Hamaguchi Dojo, where it is a beginner to the wrestling world, and is always a high credential to have on your resume when looking to enter a bigger promotion dojo. Another is the Sakaguchi Dojo, which runs non-affiliated with others. ==Working Agreements== The borrowing of workers seems to still be quite lacklustre to how it works in the real world. I realise that coding problems might be a case, but never-the-less, some ideas. Usually, depending on the worker, a promotion can strike up a deal with a worker aswell as the company that person works for to utilize that worker on their shows, much in the same way as a regular roster member. They are still affiliated with their home promotion, but either they are good friends with the owner, or have been sent out on a 'learning excursion' but are able to work in the other promotion like a regular roster member, being paid a fee as always. Good examples of this are: - Big Boss MA-G-MA performed in the Best of the Super Juniors in 2005 (I believe), staying for the entire tour, aswell as being affiliated with Osaka Pro. - Ryuji Hijikata works for BattlARTS as a regular rostered member, but is affiliated with All Japan Pro-Wrestling. This is the case for plenty of other wrestlers. Mitsuya Nagai does this regularly, aswell as Munenori Sawa. A possibly new contract, allowing wrestlers in smaller companies to be affiliated with that company, but still being able to work for some other companies on short term basis' (or possibly longer depending). Another problem was the whole swap for swap deal. While this is in place to stop people utilising an abundance of big talent from other companies, there are instances where a wrestler for a big promotion will be friends with someone from a smaller promotion (Jushin Liger/Super Delfin example), where the major wrestler will be more then willing to work spot shows for the smaller promotion. Being able to offer big money to other promotions and maybe some incentives to get certain wrestlers (even bookers and champions) would be quite realistic. ==Touring== Being able to setup touring schedules more realistically, where you can have a tour for 2 weeks, then 2 weeks off (with possibility of some stand-alone shows), then while you can have a couple of months off each year, still be able to hold a couple of stand alone shows during those months. It is very unrealistic to have 1 show each week as a 'tour' then take 2 complete months off. Anyone else have ideas for Japan? Any thoughts? Adam? ==Advance Booking== When I say Advance Booking, I don't mean matches, I mean advance booking of places. Being able to say where you are going for a tour, or where you are holding a big show could not only add to the realism, but certain places will draw more fans, and the like. Another idea with buildings is having a 'Home Base'. Some promotions will only work certain areas, or in the case of Osaka Pro actually have their own building (New Delfin Arena) where they run weekly shows.

[QUOTE=Lukiep8;361702] Another idea with buildings is having a 'Home Base'. Some promotions will only work certain areas, or in the case of Osaka Pro actually have their own building (New Delfin Arena) where they run weekly shows.[/QUOTE] TNA has Universal, and SHIMMER has the Eagles Club. But this can be simulated by running at the same venue in the booking screen for every event.

The flexible use of AI worker agreements would be a very nice addition to the game. A 'home base' imo isn't really anything crucial. You can create that yourself and it's just a textual difference actually. Advance Booking a place or venue would seem a realistic and easily implementable idea too.

I agree with your sentiments regarding the way the talent trade function is unrealistic towards real-life Japan. However, the only way I really see it happening in-game would be perhaps as it relates to tournaments, and the amount of prestige those tournaments have. For instance, the PGHW Elite Series is one of the biggest singles tournaments in Japan, if not THE biggest. Therefore, it would be more realistic for workers outside of the company to actually WANT to appear as a participant in the tournament. This is similar to a few years back when Jun Akinyama of NOAH took part in the NJPW G-1 Climax (although there are other countless examples of this taking place - I'm just naming a specific one). Now while there are ways around this in-game (talent trades, short term contracts, etc.) they tend to only apply to lower level workers, or those without company loyalty. For instance, if I wanted to have Kikkawa in the PGHW Elite Series as a special attraction, there's really no way to do that, even if you've played the game long enough for him to be on a PPA contract with INSPIRE (due to him being the owner, he isn't available for talent trades, and since he is loyal to INSPIRE, he won't negotiate even a short-term deal). I feel this is an unrealistic depiction, as even recently Keiji Mutoh competed on an NJPW show despite being the owner of AJPW. However, as far as getting around this fact, I have no ideas. It would be something to think about though, and I'd love to see some reworking of it in '08.

[QUOTE=Blackman;362334]The flexible use of AI worker agreements would be a very nice addition to the game. A 'home base' imo isn't really anything crucial. You can create that yourself and it's just a textual difference actually. Advance Booking a place or venue would seem a realistic and easily implementable idea too.[/QUOTE] However, I could see a "home base" being immune to overuse when it comes to wrestling events. Or does making the location a wrestling hotbed do this as well?

[QUOTE=hrdcoresidebrns;362386]Therefore, it would be more realistic for workers outside of the company to actually WANT to appear as a participant in the tournament.[/QUOTE] Right now, that would be a pointless addition. The game pretty much used the most irrelevant workers to compete in that tournament. Lower midcarders are always a part of it, and the top contenders don't even participate in it. They can start by fixing the AI so the best of the company do participate, and then we can start askin' for other stars to be in it as well. @ fool inc: that might be a true point. But on a weekly basis I don't really think it makes such difference.

[QUOTE=Michael Wayne;361719]TNA has Universal, and SHIMMER has the Eagles Club. But this can be simulated by running at the same venue in the booking screen for every event.[/QUOTE] Yea but when you dont play as TNA, and they start holding Impact in Oregon and Colorado, its not that realistic...

[QUOTE=Michael Wayne;361719]TNA has Universal, and SHIMMER has the Eagles Club. But this can be simulated by running at the same venue in the booking screen for every event.[/QUOTE] Essentially true I guess. But this is a point I'd put under the immersion factor. When you aren't playing a company noted for having a home base and they stray away it can be one of those "Hey wait a minute" deals that draw you out of the game universe a bit. May not be the most pressing matter in the world game wise. But I can definitely see why folks why see value in having this.

• 4 weeks later...
[QUOTE=Lukiep8;361702] ==Dojos== There have also been a wave of privately owned dojos being opened. The biggest and most known of these is the Kensuke Office, which is owned and run by Kensuke Sasaki and his wife, Akira Hokuto. Another big dojo which focuses on non-affiliated training is the Hamaguchi Dojo, where it is a beginner to the wrestling world, and is always a high credential to have on your resume when looking to enter a bigger promotion dojo. Another is the Sakaguchi Dojo, which runs non-affiliated with others.[/quote] So would this mean an additional stat? Like a training stat to go under their [b]Business[/b] stat so it could mean how likely they are to open a gym, be a trainer in the gym (say an in-game Best Friend or Loyal To starts up a gym, they would join on as a trainer), or be able to financially/business-wise support a gym? [quote]==Advance Booking== When I say Advance Booking, I don't mean matches, I mean advance booking of places. Being able to say where you are going for a tour, or where you are holding a big show could not only add to the realism, but certain places will draw more fans, and the like. Another idea with buildings is having a 'Home Base'. Some promotions will only work certain areas, or in the case of Osaka Pro actually have their own building (New Delfin Arena) where they run weekly shows.[/QUOTE] This idea I LOVE. I remember in an older EW (one of the EWDs) you could also own a arena. It's kind of odd at the moment when you name a venue the "PCW Arena" and XGW ends up running a show there. I think with this feature you should also have an extra way for a company to make money by [i]renting out[/i] their venue to other companies or even assisting a friend who owns a company and allowing them to run there. [B]=Venue Prestige=[/B] Even though a venue can be big, it can still be "unpopular" by wrestling fans. So have where certain matches or shows can improve the prestige of a venue--much like the ECW Arena, Hammerstein Ballroom, Korakuen Hall, etc. It could be "Venue Rep" as well as the building could go from dump, slum, bingo hall, indy heaven, wrestling hotbed, to wrestling mecca...not exactly those names, but something similar. [B]=Joint Shows=[/B] That said, I'd like to see something with joint-shows. Probably have where the two sides (or three) propose matches and you can go back and forth agreeing or disagreeing. It'd work similar to the contract agreements for workers where they accept the deal or what. Another way to do this is for both sides to list workers they want on this joint-show and the conditions of booking be read out as is most things in TEW. Of course this could be an issue due to extra coding and changing things. [B]=Championship Belts Defended Elsewhere=[/B] In Japan, belts--on occassion--can be defended in another promotion. If a promotion owns the belt (ie, it was created by the promotion and not inherited like some of the junior belts floating about Japan now) have where the belt can be won in another promotion if the parent promotion OKs it. If there is an existing trust (ARGH! [i]Another[/i] small feature for promotion agreements :mad: ) or benefiting existance between the promotion--or considering the owner's behaviour (either one will work) then they are least likely to screw you over. [i]However[/i], you have the choice to put a fee on the belt--an amount the company will have to pay either up front to get the belt. A deposit if you will. If the belt comes back to your company, you return the deposit, OR screw them over (oh yeah). If you don't have their deposit, they keep your belt. [B]=Promotion Alliances=[/B] In Japan, there really isn't a big alliance type thing unless you count GPWA, but I've been thinking of this since playing the more recent updates of real world data that a simple promotion alliance would be cool for alliances like NWA. How would it work? Extremely simple, apply the same idea of putting workers into a stable. Certain promotions go into the alliance (ie NWA) and have a slider that shows the bond of the promotions within the alliance overall. Like Promotion A and Promotion B might already have a working agreement whereas Promotion C is at war with Promotion A...how does this effect the other promotions? Will the SUPER SHOW go off without a problem? Will C or B pull out of the alliance? Also, you can set the head promotion and at the end of the year decide a new head (or keep the original) based on that promotion's performance. Who had the best run that year? Another cool thing would be to set a belt as a either a promotion only belt [i]or[/i] an alliance belt. The belt can be changed whenever depending on if the alliance decides to declare a promotion only belt the main belt or just to create a new one (putting in cash on it maybe?) If new alliances could pop up, have a side data base just for possible names. It doesn't have to be an actual description or anything. Have where other promotions can apply for membership, but you won't know the exact conditions of the membership [i]unless[/i] you're the head promotion. ...oh and you can be booted from the alliance for being an isolationist. Lots of ideas, but I honestly think the ability to own a venue, belts defended elsewhere, and joint shows are the likely ones to make it...at least in a future game. Is it more micro managing? Of course, but it adds to the world quite a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
Nice to see you on here SWIFT-e-cakes. I am getting incredibly good at this late idea thing :) [B]== TELEVISION IN JAPAN ==[/B] I am a bit surprised with myself, that I have not mentioned this earlier, as this is one of the most frustrating things I have to work around when playing TEW. Firstly, in Japan, you will very rarely get a live show unless it is shown on PPV. But I will have to go into this in sections. -WEEKLY TELEVISION- Weekly Television Pro-wrestling shows in Japan differ to their American counter-parts. Firstly, it is usually a recap show with maybe a handful of clips of a specific show (or two) and usually one or two of the bigger matches shown in near full. Sometimes just one lengthy match. Usually when a tour schedule is released (or just general schedule) the promotion will specify when they are taping on a particular tour. This doesn't mean that all of it will be shown on the weekly television show, but instead that some parts of a show will be shown usually over a couple of weeks if not more. New Japan, for instance, has several weekly spots. Their TV-Asahi spot on National TV which only runs around 30mins a week, and their Fighting TV! Samurai Spot. They also have a handful of other minor ones. For weekly TV, they will usually have a tour: NJPW @ Korakuen Hall (BS Asahi) NJPW @ Osaka Prefectural Gym #2 (FTS!) NJPW @ Kyoto City Gymnasium NJPW @ Blah blah NJPW @ Aichi (Near Live BS Asahi / FTS!) As you can see, they split up their designated timeslots over a couple of shows. In the first instance, the first show will be shown over the next few weeks on their major station show. The second one, once again, over the next couple of weeks, the show will be on Fighting TV! Samurai. In the last instance, (I will ignore near live for now), parts of the show will be shown 'repeat' on Samurai. [B]== MONTHLY RECAP SHOW ==[/B] Some promotions (Dragon Gate was a great example, but now it's weekly) would have one show a month on a specific channel. Dragon Gate had their Infinity show on GAORA Sports which went 2 hours, once a month (with replays). Several of their shows would be designated as tapings, and usually only 1 or 2 matches from the shows would air in clipped format, usually covering the major storylines. [B]== NEAR LIVE/LIVE/NON PPV ==[/B] Near Live is a big thing in Japan. Usually before a big event of some nature that won't be a PPV, the company will get a specific time slot close to their event where the show will take place on. For instance, New Japan is running a tour opener in Korakuen Hall, and it will shown Near Live at 12am that night. The show will generally only run for 2 hours, and thus, matches will be clipped, one or two might not make it to air or will be JIP (Joined In Progress), and other things will be cut. Usually it is a quick edit job to get it down to a formula. Like a delayed telecast. Live works in the similar fashion, but usually gets a lengthier timeslot and sometimes the show might be joined in progress, skipping some of the undercard matches. In some rare instances, only the last two matches or so will be shown live. [B]== PPV ==[/B] PPV is quite readily available for most promotions in Japan. In fact, DDT, when it was still only drawing 100 fans a show, would run a weekly PPV television show instead of having a designated time slot on a channel. Bigger promotions will have their shows on PPV, and the entire event spanning 3-4 hours will be shown. I think that covers most of it. It is very rare to have a 'weekly' taping of a show. Even Dramatic Dream Team who do a weekly TV show, usually have tapings three times a month (2 small shows, and 1 big show) that will be spanned out anywhere from 4 weeks of TV to 6 weeks.

Archived