Third match when one fighter is up 2-0

I have noticed that if one fighter has beat another twice, there never seems to be any interest in a third fight. In real life most of the time this would of course be true, but I don't think it should be so absolute .. case in point Gabriel Gallego is 23-2 for me, with his only losses coming against Gordon Idle somehow. Two years after their last match with Gallego again champ there is only low interest in a rematch .. which double sucks as my welterweight division is pretty weak.

How were the first two fights? Were they pretty close overall or was it akin to Shamrock/Ortiz or Franklin/Silva? Just curious because I wonder if it even matters how the first two fights went to the 3rd or if it just automatically lowers the interest in the 3rd. If you have a couple fights that were real barnburners and the same guy fell short both times I don't see why a third wouldn't be hyped, especially in your case, that's a good storyline..great champ who has one opponent he just can't figure out.

Mugur Boc had two wins over Aleksander Ivanov. Aleksander Ivanov was the only decent competitor at Heavyweight. They both went on long win streaks but the fans were never interested in a third match. It's even that way if the guy is champ. I had Elgar have two wins over Leon Banks and Leon Banks was a long reining champ and Elgar was going on a tear but the fans weren't interested in a third match. It RL it's happened a lot at the smaller shows. I can't imagine it happening at the big show ever again aside from maybe Quinton Jackson and Chuck Liddell. Even though LHW is so stacked, they're both extremely charismatic and quite exciting or higher. So even though the hype might be lower than other potential matchups. I'm guessing in WMMA it would be around Above Average, the matchup would be about 5 stars so it would be worth.

I think the only case where such matches would actually make sense is when the guy who lost the first two bouts holds a title the other one (who is also on a winning streak) wants. In that scenario one could argue that the champion can't legitimately be the king of his division as long as there is someone running around who's got two straight victories over him. Dunno if the game would build up interest to such a match. If it doesn't, maybe it should. But in general I am very, very happy with the way interests build in the game. Feels very natural and realistic to me.

[QUOTE=Nachtfalter;363117]I think the only case where such matches would actually make sense is when the guy who lost the first two bouts holds a title the other one (who is also on a winning streak) wants. In that scenario one could argue that the champion can't legitimately be the king of his division as long as there is someone running around who's got two straight victories over him. Dunno if the game would build up interest to such a match. If it doesn't, maybe it should. But in general I am very, very happy with the way interests build in the game. Feels very natural and realistic to me.[/QUOTE] Agree

Archived