Son of a Legend - The Dustin Rhodes Story

My legal name is Virgil Runnells III son of Virgil Runnells II better know as the 'American Dream' Dusty Rhodes. Out of respect for my father and in the hope of continuing his legacy for another generation, as I begin my professional wrestling career, I will be know as, Dustin Rhodes. Although the popularity of my father will greatly assist me in obtaining my initial contract, I will work everyday to make my own name in the business that is professional wrestling. Today is the last day of April 1983. I just turned 17 at the begining of this month, but due to my father instilling his work ethic in I have just graduated from high school an entire year early. While college is an option, and the road many of my friends will be taking, I will be pursuing my professional wrestling dreams. While my dad did teach me a lot of what he knows, he would not allow to wrestle for any of the local promotions until I had graduated high school, so I have yet to perform in my first match. That will soon change. Tomorrow...I start making phone calls.

Current Status Im going to use this to keep all the stats and popularity up to date. I will update them at the end of each game month. I'll also use this to keep the current contracts information updated as well. [B][U]May 1983[/U][/B] [B]Overall W-L-D[/B] 0-0-0 [B]Contracts[/B] *None* [B]Finances[/B] Cash:$5000 [B][U]Skills[/U][/B] Skills May 1983 [B][U]Popularity[/U][/B] Pop May 1983

[B][U]Monday Week 1 May 1983[/U][/B] I rolled out of bed at six this morning to prepare for the day that will start the rest of my life. I convinced my dad to accompany me while making a visit to see Eddie Graham the owner of Championship Wrestling from Florida (CWF). My dad is the head booker their and my best-friend Barry Windham is also a member of the roster but that doesn't guarantee me a spot on the roster. We arrived at Mr. Graham's office right at eight and were in the meeting for about an hour. I believe all went well but I wont be informed until tomorrow what Mr. Graham thought. After leaving CWF headquarters at around nine I headed straight home and began calling some other promotions here in the Southeast. I didnt have any luck contacting any of them. I suppose they were either out of the office or in the training center with their workers. I did leave messages for Jerry Lawler, the head booker of CWA, Ole Anderson, head booker of GCW and also Ron and Robert the Fuller brothers of SECW. Hopefully I will hear something from them soon. Tomorrow would be the best so I wont have to wait and wonder for too much longer.

[B][U]Tuesday Week 1 May 1983[/U][/B] Well I went out last night with my friends for one last good night of drinking before I start my career as a pro wrestler. Unfortunately this has caused me to be a little hung over and I slept through all my morning phone calls. Fortunately there were four messages on the answering machine when I did get out of bed. When I checked the machine things didn't start well. Georgia Championship Wrestling head booker Ole Anderson had called to tell me that he didn't believe I was well known enough to be a useful member of their roster at this time. The next message was a much happier moment. Jerry Jarrett himself, owner of CWA, had called to offer me an eight month verbal contract with his company. At this point I was absolutely estatic and called Jerry back immediately to accept his offer. It was a short conversation and Jerry said I would discuss more with Jerry Lawler when I made my first appearance for them. The third message was from Eddie Graham. He simply asked me to call him back so I did immediately. Eddie told me that I had undoubtedly on my own earned a spot on his roster, but did say that normally he would only offer an eight month contract to someone with equal skills and popularity but because of the relationships I have within the company he is going to offer me a full year verbal contract. I of course immediately accepted. The final message on my phone was from Ron Fuller at SECW. I tried to call Ron back but instead got ahold of his brother Robert. Robert said he and Ron had talked it over and agreed an eight month verbal contract would be the best for what they wished to use me for. I again agreed. Wow...one day in to my pro wrestling career and I had just signed three contracts. Well I'm off to get rid of this hangover. I have my first match tonight. Mr. Graham told me I would debut tonight.

First Match [B][U]Tues Week 1 May 1983[/U][/B] I arrived at the arena a few hours early thinking I could talk with some familiar faces and lower my anxiety about putting on my first match. Problem was when I got there I was so nervous that even though I knew everyone in the locker room I couldnt even talk. I went and sat is a corner of the locker room and kept all my thoughts and words to myself. My Dad came over just to give me a good luck pat on the back and went on his way. He had his own match to get ready for. Finally it was time for me to go out there. On my way out of the locker room my best friend Barry Windham. He told me good luck and sent me on my way out into the arena. It was time. [CENTER]------------------------- [B][U]CWF: The Endless Beach Tour[/U][/B] Location: South East Attendance: 2,854 [U]Florida Tag Team Title Match[/U] Kevin Sullivan & Dusty Rhodes defeat Superstar Billy Graham & Bobby Duncam [U]Florida Heavyweight Title Match[/U] The Purple Haze defeats Scott McGhee Barry Windham defeats Black Hart [U]Florida Brass Knuckles Title Match[/U] Blackjack Mulligan defeats Mike Davis to retain [U]Florida Television Title Match[/U] Bob Roop defeates Ron Bass Dustin Rhodes vs. Jack Hart Match Purse: $500 Black Hart defeats Dustin Rhodes by sumbission with a Boston Crab at 4:00 Match Rating: F B. Brian Blair defeats Lex Luger -------------------------[/CENTER] After this match I've already started doubting this career decision. I suppose everyones got to start somewhere but coming back to the locker room to chants of, "You suck," sure a confidence killer. Oh well. Im going out drinking with my friends. That will take my mind off things.

[B][U]Saturday Week 1 May 1983[/U][/B] [CENTER]------------------------- [B][U]SECW[/U][/B] Location: South East Attendance: 324 [U]Southeasten Tag Team Title Match[/U] Olympia & Zhukov defeat Lucas and Bullet Bob Randy Ross and The Tonga Kid Time Limit Draw Dustin Rhodes vs. Jacques Rougeau Purse: $1125 Jacques Rougeau wins via submission with the Boston Crab at 7:50 Match Rating: D Norvell and Ferris vs Falk and Harris ends in a no contst [U]United States Junior Heavyweight Title Match[/U] Steve Armstrong defeats Scott Armstrong -------------------------[/CENTER] Well my first two matches have now ended via submission to the Boston Crab. At least this match went a little longer and was more accepted by the crowd. I still was damn near exhausted about half way into the thing. I definetly need to worry about improving my stamina. I think that will be the main focus of my training for the next month or so.

[B][U]Monday Week 2 May 1983[/U][/B] [CENTER]------------------------- [B][U]CWA at the Mid-South Coliseum[/U][/B] [CENTER]Location: South East Attendance: 2598[/CENTER] [U]AWA Southern Tag Team Title Match[/U] The Fabulous Ones defeat The Rock and Roll Express to retain [U]AWA International Title Match[/U] Jerry Lawler defeats Austin Idol to retain Lanny Poffo and Randy Savage vs. Spoiler & Dustin Rhodes Purse: $1250 Rating: F Larry Poffo makes Spolier tap at 6:00 with the Boston Crab[/CENTER] [U][CENTER]CWA Mid-American Heavyweight Title Match[/CENTER][/U] [CENTER]Koko B. Ware defeats Rick Rude to retain Dutch Mantell defeats Terry Taylor Bill Dundee defeats Bobby Fulton Phil Hickerson defeated Troy Graham Norvell Austin defeated The Colossus of Death -------------------------[/CENTER] This was thee biggest waste of time ever. I travelled all the way to this show to stand on the ring apron for six minutes while that loser Spoiler lost the match. (PS: I dont kow what it is with the Boston Crab, but it must be one nasty move. Note to self: Start using Boston Crab.)

[B][U]Tuesday Week 2 May 1983[/U][/B] [CENTER]------------------------- [B][U]CWF: The Endless Beach Tour[/U][/B] Location: South East Attendance: 2896 [U]Florida Tag Team Title Match[/U] Kevin Sullivan & Dusty Rhodes defeat Barry Windham & Black Jack Mulligan to retain [U]Florida Heavyweight Title Match[/U] The Purple Haze defeats Bob Roop to retain Mike Graham defeats Ron bass Adrian Street defeats Mike Rotundo Angelo Mosca defeats Dustin Rhodes Purse: $500 Match Rating: D Angelo wins with a Piledriver at 6:40 Duncam & Superstar Graham defeat Armstrong & Allen Black Bart defeats Scott McGhee B. Brian Blair defeats -------------------------[/CENTER]

[B][U]Saturday Week 2 May 1983[/U][/B] [CENTER]------------------------- [B][U]Southeastern Championship Wrestling[/U][/B] Location: New England Attendance: 62 Jimmy Golden defeats Mr. Olympia Boris Zhukov defeats Ken Lucas Super Olympia & Tonga defeat Jacques & Dustin Rhodes Purse: $1125 Match Rating: B- Super Olympia pins Dustin Rhodes with a Gordbuster at 24:00 [B][U]Southeastern Brass Knuckles Championship[/U][/B] Pat Rose defeats Steve Armstrong Rick Gibson defeats Tony Falk -------------------------[/CENTER] I really enjoyed this match. This really put my energy level up. Even though I still lost this was thee best match I've been involved in yet. The crowd, although small, was even chanting my name. This was great. I cant wait to go back to New England. I really enjoyed it up there. I also cant wait to get in the ring again. This has really helped my motivation. Hearing a crowd chant you name puts a jolt into your system and greatly improves your attitude.

Archived