Question on Nationality

Quick question about Nationalities. Is it meant to be coutry of origin, or what the wrestlers family history is. For example, Rey Misterio Jr. was born in the US, but says he's Mexican. Similarly, Homicide born in the US, says he's Puerto Rican.

Yeah, I agree with that one. Cause, you see someone, say Rey Mysterio, as Mexican, or American.. depending on your view. The data I'm editing for me, I changed people to either their heritage, or where they were born. i.e. if they were born in Canada, they're Canadian, but, also, if they are known as being, let's say, French, but weren't born there.. I changed that as well.

[quote=Richyg;428486]Technically with nationality you can lay claim to be either of your country of birth, your parent's or your grandparent's nationality. Therefore, it can be whatever you want...[/quote] That's the definition with regards international sport. In terms of nationality law, it'd depend what nation(s) they hold citizenship with.

I'd say Rey was a hispanic American. Same for Chavo Jr. Although if the Race field wasn't in the game I'd put him down as Mexican.. which is odd, but hey... Both of them have a strong claim to being added as a Mexican, but I feel that since they were born in America, have lived and worked in America most of their lives, they're Americans of Mexican descent (the latter of which is indicated by the Hispanic racial bit). Heritage does play a part in Nationality, don't get me wrong (although this really isn't an arguement you want to have with a Cornishman :p), but people who call themselves Irish because their mother's great great great great great Grandfather's pet dog was an Irish Setter piss me off. If you have to go back further than, say, three or four generations to find a single person in your family who isn't of your born nationality, then forget about it. If you go back far enough, 'American' doesn't even exist the way it's used today. :p

[QUOTE=Jennie Bomb;428505]That's the definition with regards international sport. In terms of nationality law, it'd depend what nation(s) they hold citizenship with.[/QUOTE] True... its a simplified definition i think :) Gaining citizenship is a different story... something like spending 3 years in a country right? then you gain nationality? ---------- I mean using the heritage route, I personally lay slaim to three nationalities. Welsh (Born), Irish (Great Grandmother [mother's side]), English (Great Grandmother [father's side]) I choose welsh cus thats where i was born, raised and most of my family have lived for the past century.

Depends on the country. It's five in America, and five in the UK (3 if you're married to a British citizen). Edit: I thought Welsh citizenship depended on whether your surname is Jones, Jenkins or Williams; failing that it comes down to the number of L's in your name doesn't it? :D

[quote=Richyg;428519]True... its a simplified definition i think :) Gaining citizenship is a different story... something like spending 3 years in a country right? then you gain nationality? ---------- I mean using the heritage route, I personally lay slaim to three nationalities. Welsh (Born), Irish (Great Grandmother [mother's side]), English (Great Grandmother [father's side]) I choose welsh cus thats where i was born, raised and most of my family have lived for the past century.[/quote] It depends on the particular nationality laws of each country.

Archived