Some 'Fuzzy' Ratings, Coach/GM personalities & Plea for a Good Manual

Ok, I know that the ratings in pretty much any Text Sim are 'fuzzy' to the extent that they may not be 100% (or even anywhere close to) accurate, depending on things like the ratings for scouts and coaches in scouting and development. What I'm looking for is something 'below the surface'. We all know there are some players that practice great but suck on the field, and vice versa. There are players who are workaholics, others who aren't. There are players who are great leaders on the field and those that take plays off, etc. Some quarterbacks can't manage a play clock while others always know the situation and make plays accordingly. What would be cool is if these things were in ratings that can never be actually seen, but could show up in E-mails from your staff, things like: "Hey, Player X has been showing up to practice an hour early to catch balls from the backup quarterback." or "Player Y busted his butt on a couple of plays. One in particular, he was pancaked at the start of the play, but got up, hustled down the field and was the guy who made the tackle that saved a touchdown." or "Player Z really lit into the other members of the offensive line after they gave up their second sack in the first quarter. It seemed to help since they didn't give up a sack for the rest of the game." These types of reports should be possible for any player, but should happen more often for players who are exceptionally high or low at the hidden ratings. --------------------------------------------------- The second part of the subject regards personalities for coaches and GMs. Examples might be a coach who is rigid in what plays he calls no matter the personnel, while another coach might be more flexible and able to tailor his gameplan to the roster. A coach might be a horrible time manager (at the end of a half or game), like calling more trick plays than the usual coach, etc. GMs could differ based on how they like to build a team (veteran free agents or through the draft; character vs talent; offense vs defense; running vs passing; need in the draft vs best available player; measureables vs production; current ability vs ceiling). ---------------------------------------------------- The third part here is... PLEASE don't leave it up to the player to guess how various ratings/choices affect an aspect of the game. Every screen should be described in the manual along with every choice or rating and what its importance in the game is. In BBCF, the interactions between budgeting for scouting areas and positions, your scouting service, and the scouting ratings of your coaches is very unclear because of a pretty skimpy manual. These sims are complex. The manual should explain everything the user needs to know about the game (I realize good manuals are very much an exception these days). ----------------------------------------------------- And a P.S.... Any word on how this project is coming along? :)

Hey Gambler, Love all the ideas. Would really add alot to the game exp. Was also wondering how the game was coming along. We really need it for the up coming season. Any later than that would not be acceptable in my book. It would be 4 years since TPF came & died a quick death. I know the College game seems to be a good one but it's just not my cup of tea. Never liked College ball. Tried the demo & still don't like it. Looking forward to the Pro game. I still play TPF. I have a lot of faith in Arlie that he will deliver a great Pro game. I just don't want to wait beyond 2008. Galleyfan:)

• 5 weeks later...
[QUOTE=gambler1650;429822] The third part here is... PLEASE don't leave it up to the player to guess how various ratings/choices affect an aspect of the game. Every screen should be described in the manual along with every choice or rating and what its importance in the game is. In BBCF, the interactions between budgeting for scouting areas and positions, your scouting service, and the scouting ratings of your coaches is very unclear because of a pretty skimpy manual. These sims are complex. The manual should explain everything the user needs to know about the game (I realize good manuals are very much an exception these days)[/QUOTE] All good points, but the third one, the one above, is my big thing. Games these days almost always lack a good manual. I miss the days, when games like FBPro had a nice hefty manual that covered the game in good depth.

Archived