Star rating system

mistaken

This maybe a dumb request that is totally unfeasible, but I am going to throw it out there anyway. 1) Could Star ratings be tied to number of posts, time on the boards or Mod allowed. Something to cut down on the number of random 1 stars that seem to get thrown out there. 2) Could a users profile show their average star rating. (that is the average of all the star ratings they have handed out) So we might be able to see who the bad apples are and turn off their privileges? 3) Can a request be made to either clear all star ratings from a thread, or else when setting up the thread, remove the ability to rate it, to avoid drive by's in general? 4) Could a time limit be placed, say 48 hours, so that posters who typically produce real 1 star threads have time to earn the label before the people that dislike them label their latest attempt with out giving it a change? I understand that all 4 point are probably coding issues and are not feasible, but you never know if you don't ask. [SIZE="1"] (and thank you to every one who rates this thread with one star :p you are only helping my cause) jk[/SIZE]

This topic comes around fairly often. Personally, if GDS is going to use some sort of rating system, I'd rather see a user 'reputation' where the rating of posts is either positive or negative and the user can then see who has rated which of their posts as either. It's used on some forums, but tbh I think it's probably more hassle/trouble than it's worth, although it does generally make it easy to see individuals who contribute little to GDS other than negativity or aggression towards other or certain users. At the moment, the star system has no redeeming features whatsoever. It can quite happily be ignored, but then what's the point in keeping it really? It's fluff that I'd hardly miss if the whole thing was just scrapped.

In the dog pound this is true, but in the diary threads, this can be a great way of deciding out of the many diaries which is worth taking a look at. and in general a 4-5 star diary with 100 posts is good and 2-3 star diary with a 100 posts is just ok. but I hate to see writers who have just started saddled with two - three 1 star ratings, when they haven't even posted a show yet. As to Astil, yeah capitalization gets fixed in editing, and I did not edit the post I am sorry.

Archived