Gregory's Angels

Late October, 2005. Vancouver, BC ---------------------------------- The phone rang. I looked up at the clock as I rose from the couch, and knew instantly who was on the other end of the line. Only one person called at this time of night. "Hello Joanne." Joanne Rodriguez is my girlfriend. We met at the airport in Vancouver, BC. I was flying to Japan for business (I work in marketing for the Canadian arm of a Japanese electronics company that is based in a city of which I can't pronounce the name), but the plane was delayed because of a last minute weather warning. While waiting in the airport bar, I ran into a beautiful Latino bombshell, and struck up a conversation. It turned out that, not only were we on the same flight, we were seated next to each other on the plane. By the time the weather cleared enough for us to take off, we had sparked the chemistry; by the time the plane touched down in Tokyo, I'd joined the Mile High Club. That was just over two years ago, and I still couldn't believe how lucky she was to have found me. "Hi, dear. How's everything going tonight?" "Smashing, dah-ling," I said, throwing out my best Sean Connery. "I was just watching a bit of the news. How was the show tonight?" "Great! They finally let me team up with Raven again." "Well, it's about time Catherine realized how good you two are together." "Don't worry, she won't be heading the Booking Team for much longer." "Oh? Is someone new coming in?" My interest was thoroughly peaked by this point. Catherine Quine had been Anne Stardust's tag partner for years. Certainly there hadn't been a falling out between them. "Yes, and I think you'll like Anne's choice." "Why do you say that, Jo?" "Because we're going to see a lot of your ideas implemented in the near future. All those ideas you keep talking about for bringing AAA from the North West, and out into the world, are going to be given a chance." "What do you mean 'my ideas'?" I got the feeling that she was saying more than I was hearing. "You really are dense, you know that? I talked to Cathy about all your ideas, and she loved them. In her own words, her strengths lie in getting a crowd going, not finding a crowd to watch. Tonight, she and Anne came to speak to me, and said that they'd like to bring someone in to put these ideas into action. I told them that I knew just the man for the job." She paused for a moment, letting the information sink in. "Jo, you didn't." "I did. Congratulations, hunny. You're my new boss." My head was spinning too fast to think, let alone say something above a faint gargling sound. My features were frozen in place, and time stood still. My mind raced to try to catch up to this new development, but it was fighting a losing battle, and I knew it. Mercifully, my Angel saved me. "It's Thursday night. Drive down here tomorrow, after work, and we'll talk more. Then, on Saturday, we can go to see Anne. Does that sound good?" I nodded, as that was the most advanced form of communication that my brain was capable of at that moment. It took me a few seconds to remember that nodding didn't do anything over the phone, and stuttered out a "yes". With that, we said our good nights, and got off the phone. I still couldn't believe what had just happened, but one thing I was sure of: Tomorrow would be the longest day of work EVER.

This is my first time writing a Dynasty, and I wanted to try something a bit different. I'm playing in Freestyle mode, with Greg McNeish as a worker under Lifetime contract to AAA. That worker and Joanne Rodriguez have a Dating relationship, and that will be the basis of the diary. I'll be documenting my game, but also the relationship, and how it effects the business. I'm not sure how well this will work, but one thing's for sure: This is going to be different.

Late October, 2005. Vancouver, BC ---------------------------------- I had been right about one thing, at least: It had been the longest day of work I'd ever had. I tried to focus on the assignment at hand, but my mind refused to come out of the clouds, as all I could think of were the Angels. I'm not a particularily religious man, though. The Angels I'm refering to don't have wings, and their certainly not "good Catholics". No, my Angels are of an entirely different nature; my Angels are wrestlers in the Angel Athletic Association. After minutes which felt like hours, and hours that felt like days, my work-day ended, as did life as I've always known it. After heading home to quickly pack for the weekend (including my best suit), I hopped into my car, and headed towards the American border, and my future. *************************** Late October, 2005. Seattle, Washington ---------------------------------- I arrived at Joanne's apartment a couple hours later, but with no clearer picture of what I was getting myself into. Perhaps I should say, 'what Joanne was getting me into'. Still, it was an intriguing prospective. I'd always been a wrestling fan, and I had been brooding about AAA since meeting Jo two years ago. She opened the door with a big smile, and a strong embrace. "Hey there, big boy." "Boy? Who you trying to fool, sister?" That earned me a punch on the shoulder. With most girlfriends, that isn't a particularily noteworthy thing, but this is a woman who makes her living as a wrestler; she packs a punch. Not that I'd ever tell her that, though. I sat down in my usual spot on the couch, as Joanne disappeared into her kitchen, which like the rest of the apartment, was far from impressive. Hardly the type of environment most people think of when they picture a pro athlete. Fame and fortune hadn't touched the life of this young lady, but if our conversation the previous night was any indication, I would soon have a hand in changing that. Jo returned with two glasses of red wine, imported from my native Ontario, and sat down beside me. As we turned to face each other, her long legs briefly brushed against mine, as a mischievous smile played across her lips. "How was work, honey?" she asked as nonchalantly as one could. I stared into her eyes for a moment, appalled by how she was enjoying my current state. "Not bad, I suppose, unless you factor in that it felt like a decade, and was as pleasant as becoming roadkill." "I suppose you're looking for an explanation, then?" "One would be nice." Joanne spent the next hour explaning to me in more detail what had transpired between herself, Catherine Quine, and Anne Stardust. She told me of Catherine's interest in the storylines and booking suggestions that I'd shared with Jo over the years. She relayed Anne's reaction to the marketing ideas that Jo told her about. All in all, she painted a picture of a company that was not only interested in my ideas, but was willing to put complete faith in my ability to bring those ideas to fruition. "So, what do you think?" I remained frozen for a few seconds, contemplating my response. This would be a dream come true, but hardly seemed like the best career move. I was secure in my job, making good money; not great money, but still good. My apartment was certainly a lot nicer than Jo's. "I think... that I need another drink," I finally answered. I was about as resolute as I could get right then. Joanne took my glass, and disappeared back into the kitchen, which gave me time to think. Unfortunately, thinking wasn't much of an option at the moment. I just didn't seem to be able to focus on anything clearly. Jo returned, but her hands were empty. Gone were the glasses, with nothing in their place. She strode to where I was sitting, and stood in front of me, looking down. "I can tell that you're not in the talking mood right now. That's fine, but you'd better make sure you're better able to communicate tomorrow. We're meeting Anne at 9 o'clock." I nodded, but remained silent. She was right: I wasn't in the mood to talk. Joanne reached down, and grabbed my hand. She then pulled me up to stand in before her. "It's been a long week, hasn't it?" With that, she kissed me passionately. The rest of the evening is best kept unexplained, but rest assured that I rested quite well that night. Funny how women can drag you through Hell, but make it seem like the best trip you've ever taken. That's my Angel.

I awoke the next morning to find the other side of the bed vacant. Blinking a few times, I was able to make out light streaming out from under the bathroom door. Checking the clock, I saw that it was 7:28. That would leave me with an hour and a half to get to Anne Stardust's office downtown. Rising from the bed, I stood stretching for a few seconds, trying to get the blood flowing. As I began to move, the bathroom door opened, and Joanne emerged with a towel wrapped around her head. Someday I would ask her how she got it to stay up there, but now was not the time. "Morning, Jo." "Good Morning, Greg. How are you feeling today?" It was a good question, with many answers. I was anxious, nervous, confused, and in desperate need of a shower. None of those answers seemed appropriate, however. "Excited... and hungry." She laughed at that, instantly bringing me further into waking. "I can't do much about the excitement, but the hunger I can handle. You hit the bathroom, and I'll get some breakfast ready." Now that was a plan I could live with. Having finished with the "Three 'S's of Male Hygenics" (shower, **** & shave), I was drawn to the kitchen by the smell of coffee. Joanne had cooked up bacon & eggs; she certainly knew what a guy wanted to wake up to. We ate breakfast together, talking about music and history. Anything to keep my mind off the meeting ahead of me. With that, I put on my suit and we climbed in my car. **************** The AAA office isn't much to look at. Anne leased a 2nd floor unit in a small office building on the outskerts of the downtown core. I parked the car, and we walked inside. Anne's receptionist greeted us as we entered the office, and asked us to have a seat in the small reception area. She then disappeared through a door. Moments later, she returned with the owner of the company and its current head booker. I'd met Anne Stardust and Catherine Quine before, but we'd never conversed much. Nothing more than pleasantries at the company Christmas party the previous year, but it was a starting point. After greetings had been exchanged, we moved to Anne's office, where Joanne and I sat on one side of the desk, Catherine and Anne on the other. There was a brief period of silence before Anne spoke up. "Joanne has told us a lot about you. She says you've got a lot of ideas about how AAA should be run, and how we can break out of the North West. Do you think you could outline a few of your ideas for me?" Where to begin? Ever since meeting Jo, two years ago, I'd been following AAA. In that time, I'd talked to her countless times about everything from marketing, merchandising, and territorial expansion, to pushes, gimmicks, storylines, and champions. What should I say now to get the ball rolling? Thankfully, my experience dealing with clients helped me mask my discomfort, and I was able to come off better prepared than I was. "Well Ms. Stardust, the first thing I'd recommend is that you start running weekly shows. You've got the roster, the finances, and the audience to pull that off." Catherine spoke up. "If we ran shows that often, people would get sick of them, and wouldn't come out. There are only so many places around here to go." "Quite true, Catherine; this isn't exactly the most populous area of the country. However, you've got the fanbase here to hold at least two, and possibly three shows a month in AAA's home area. With the fourth show every month, I'd recommend expanding into neighbouring markets. You'll make enough money in this area to cover the costs of running a show elsewhere. After a few good shows in a neighbouring region, you'll start to see an overall profit, as the shows outside of the North West will become less and less of a financial burden over time." Quine and Stardust exchanged a glance that I wasn't able to read. I could see why they had been such a great pair in the ring. They looked back at me, and Anne spoke. "Go on." "As far as booking goes," my eyes locked with Catherine's, "I feel that we need to start developing long-term stories and feuds. If we're going to bill ourselves as Women's Entertainment, then we need to make that the focus of our shows. Over the past couple years, you guys have put on some spectacular matches, and there have been great interviews and promos, but there's a lot more to Entertainment than girls talking on a microphone, then beating the hell out of each other. I've got a few ideas kicking around for long-term storylines, that I think will be a wonderful jumping-off point for future development." More questions followed, which I answered in turn. It wasn't the greatest interview of my life, but I could tell that these ladies were impressed. It occured to me through this talk that they'd never consulted with someone other than a wrestler about booking. My perspective was brand new to them, and it showed. After an hour of intense conversation, Anne silenced everyone with a wave of her hand. She leaned forward, and looked me dead in the eyes, saying, "I think it's clear that my company would be better off with you in it. If you want the job, it's yours." A soft yelp escaped from Joanne's lips, which she stiffled swiftly. My reaction was much different, however. For the first time, I seriously considered what my future would be like, based on how I answered this offer. On the one hand, wrestling was a passion of mine, and working for AAA would allow Joanne and I to spend a lot more time together. On the other hand, I already had a good job, with a salary and a pension. Only a fool would leave that sort of position, and I knew it. "Before I answer you, I have to ask about compensation." "Well, I'd like to bring you in on a full-time basis, so you'd have to quit your current job. How much are you making there?" "60 K, Canadian." Without batting an eye, Anne responded calmly, "I'll match that, but in American dollars. $60,000 per year." Wow. That certainly took me by surprise. I did not expect that kind of financial outlay from a company this size. Turning to face Joanne, she met my gaze, and gave me a broad smile. Yes, I could definitely go for seeing more of this kid. Turning back to Anne, I slowly extended my right hand. "Ms. Stardust, you've got your man."

I like the ideas you've laid out for this diary so far. I've seen a lot of beginnings to diaries that all seem to be pretty generic but this one is definitely different. And has given me a small idea myself for my own diary too. I'll be staying tuned in to see how Greg's Angels turn out (if only you were alled Charlie :)) Derek B :)

Thanks guys. I can't wait to dive into the action, but I'm still waiting for my ELicense code. I don't have a credit card, so I ordered by mail. That was a week ago, and the post office told me it would take "5-8 days to arrive". I'm almost shaking with anticipation. In the meantime, I've got a couple more posts to write up for the first month. I find that it takes me longer to write things up in this style than it does to actually play the game. Comments like yours make it all worthwhile. Thanks again. Cheers!

Monday, Week 1, December 2005. Seattle, WA --------------------------------------------- A month had past since that fateful day in Anne Stardust's office. I'd given notice to my former employer, and ended the lease at my Vancouver apartment. Joanne and I had spent a couple days looking around Seattle, and found a delightful apartment in the north end of the city. It was a small step up from my last place, but it was Jo that was ecstatic. She'd been living in sparse conditions for a third of her 26 years, and couldn't contain her joy at our new place. This marked a whole new beginning for Joanne and I; no longer would this be a long distance relationship. While the movers did their thing, I started making the first phone calls of my booking career. I'll tell you about the changes I hoped to make after showing you what we started with, roster-wise. *********************************** Main Event: Faces: Helen Wheels: A charismatic 33-year old technician. Currently working a Straight Edge gimmick (badly), she's also a manager with NOTBPW in Canada. She's especially hardy, and resistant to injury. Catherine Quine: Drop-dead gorgeous, she's a great high flyer that also has some tech skills. She's under Written contract, and the former Head Booker of AAA. Ultra-charismatic. Teamed with Anne Stardust in "The Angels", prior to Anne's retirement. Heels: Suzue Katayama: A Japanese brawler, she used to team with Wanda Fish as "Glorious Power", until they both reached the Main Event, and dropped out of the tag division. She only speaks passable English, but isn't much of a talker in her native tongue anyway. Black Widow: Leader of "The Darkness", she's an all right brawler, who's risen through the ranks on the back of her charisma, not her skill. Still, she's not a liability in the ring, as she's got a firm grasp of the basics. Wanda Fish: A great all rounder, with a great look, and superb entertainment skills, she's the total package. She's capable of putting on a great match with anyone, and would even make a good Road Agent. She's the current AAA Femme Fatale champion. Upper Midcard: Faces: Joanne Rodriguez: One of the safest workers in the world, she has all the tools to be a superstar. She has an uncanny knack of getting people to shut up and listen, but needs a little work on what comes out of her mouth. She occasionally teams with Raven Nightfall as "The Dream Team", and also puts in time with 5SSW in Japan. In case you haven't been paying attention, she's my girlfriend. Michelle Brendon: The older of "The Brendon Sisters", she's a capable all arounder, with great performance skills. Outside the ring, she doesn't bring a lot to the table. Golden Delicious: Australian by birth, she came to America to be trained by Catherine Quine. She's a rapidly improving high flyer. Jessica Bunny (real name: Serena Sutton): Another high flyer with an upside, she's one half of the AAA Tag Team champion "Good Lookin Bunny". Her gimmick includes carrying a stuffed rabbit everywhere she goes, which I'm told is adorable. Candy Floss: Young high flyer who still needs some work. Unfortunately, her popularity has gotten ahead of her in-ring development, leaving her as a liability in the uppercard. Her hair sure is pink, though. Heels: Cherry Bomb: The current AAA Top Contender's champion, she's great at playing a psycho, and cuts great promos. On top of that, she's a top performer in the ring. All that, and she's just 29. Vixxen: A member of "The Darkness", and one-half of "Wild Times", she's a good technician, and is a consistent performer. Without some work on the microphone, she may struggle to jump into the Main Event. Devil's Daughter: The other half of "Wild Times", and also a member of "The Darkness", she's a full decade younger than Vixxen, at 23. A capable all-rounder, her inexperience shows when not paired with a strong opponent. She's not likely to break out of the Tag division any time soon, as she's also completely devoid of charisma. Midcard: Faces: Wendy Anderson: Training under Catherine Quine, this 20-year old already shows some promise in the ring, and looks great in angles. Unfortunately, it's only her look that's great when not in a match. She definitely shows the potential to go far, though. Katherine Goodlooks: One-half of "Good Lookin Bunny", the AAA Tag Team champions, she already has a lot of ability in and out of the ring at 21 years of age. She's a capable technician, who, once she understands the psychology of a match, will be a top performer for years to come. She's also got a fair amount of charisma. Heels: Miss Mexico: Good with submission moves, and adequite in the air, she's quite dull with a microphone. A very consistent performer. Helen Bach: At 42 years of age, she knows how to build a good match. Unfortunately, she doesn't have the skill to actually compete in one. Gorgon: A monster of a woman, at 24 she already has all the tools to compete in the ring. Teamed with a fast-talking manager, she'll go far. Lower Midcard: Faces: Raven Nightfall: Occasionally teaming with Joanne Rodriguez as "The Dream Team", she's got charisma and talent, and is one of the few women who can work well as a Face and a Heel. She's going to be a star someday. Sara Marie York: At 20, she's got the makings of a champion. Capable of putting on a good match with a techician or a flyer, she's a valuable asset, even at such a young age. Missy Masterson: She's still quite green at 22, and has a lot of room to get better. If her wrestling career doesn't pan out, she could easily become a top manager in one of the big North American companies. Tracy Brendon: The younger of "The Brendon Sisters", she is the perfect compliment to Michelle. Whereas Michelle is a great in-ring performer, but dull, Tracy is ultra-charismatic, but needs carried during matches. This duo is sticking together until retirement. Heels: None Openers: Faces: None Heels: Helen Earth: Weak in the ring, and boring out of it, at 28, she's not likely to ever hold down a job with a wrestling promotion. Maybe she can help with costumes and makeup.... Christina Charisma: Like the name suggests, she's great on the microphone. Unfortunately, she looks like a man. She's a great technician for a rookie, though, so she'll always have a job in the undercard. Tsuki Kawamata: An average performer, she looks good, but is terrible on the mic. Not that you'd understand it anyway, because she only speaks Japanese. She teams up with Joanne Rodriguez as "Culture Shock" in Japan. She and Suzue Katayama keep each other company in the locker room, and I'm a little curious as to what they talk about. Enhancement Talent: Faces: Ellie May Walton: She's big for a woman, and looks impressive, but is otherwise uninspired outside the ring. Inside, she needs some polishing, but shows promise as a brawler who can mix it up on the mat as well. Best of all, she works cheap; REAL cheap. Heels: None Non-Wrestlers: Jim Lou Freebush: Our regular Announcer, he also calls matches for USPW. That's good, because otherwise he'd be unemployed tomorrow. Farrah Hesketh: A former star with AAA, she was put out of commission with a knee injury. Now, she works as either one of our Colour Commentators, or as a referee. Unfortunately, she can't do both at once. She's expensive, but extremely talented, not to mention smokin' hot. Anne Stardust: The owner, and also our biggest star. She retired earlier this year when 25 years of injuries caught up to her, but continues on as a Colour Commentator. Greg McNeish: That would be me. I'm the Head Booker, and will also be taking over as lead Announcer from Jim Lou Freebush. I'll also be playing an Authority Figure gimmick on-screen, as Anne has expressed that she'd like to stay away from that position for the time being. *********************************** There were a couple people that I'd already pegged for firing, but we also had some holes to plug. First off, Helen Earth, Helen Bach, and Jim Lou Freebush were given their walking papers. Next, we'd have to make a decision regarding Farrah Hesketh. She was too expensive to keep as a Referee, and with myself and Anne Stardust taking on the Announcing duties, that left her with a Managerial role. She was extremely qualified, but came with a hefty pricetag. This would take some serious thought. In the meantime, I began the hunt for a new (ie. "cheaper") referee, as well a few managers, as we had none (with the possible exception of Farrah). This wouldn't be easy. --------------------------------------------- OOC: My E-License finally arrived yesterday. Hurray! Now I have to remind myself what I was doing.

Archived