WWF: Power Struggle

January 1, 1998

RAW

Live from Silver Spurs Arena in Kissimmee, Florida in front of 9,288 people.

Jim Ross: Good evening folks and welcome to RAW. At last night’s In Your House, we saw Kane win the right to be the last man to enter the Royal Rumble. Here are some highlights from that six man elimination match, as well as highlights from last night’s other matches.

A video recap of In Your House plays.

Jim Ross: Last night we also saw Ahmed Johnson win the vacant Intercontinental Title, and then join the Nation. Next up we will see one of Ahmed’s fellow Nation members take on Vader.

Kama Mustafa w/ D’Lo Brown vs. Vader

Nothing too interesting happens in our opening match. D’Lo behaves himself and stays out of the action. Vader powerbombs Kama to end the match.

Winner: Vader

[7:32] [C]

After the match, Justin “Hawk” Bradshaw walks out to the stage.

JHB: Vader, last night you beat me fair and square, within the rules. This got me thinking: If I can’t beat somebody fair and square, then why not cheat and win? The old Justin “Hawk” Bradshaw may not have done that, but as of last night Justin Hawk is dead. Long live Bradshaw. And Vader, you name the place and Bradshaw will beat you. By any means necessary.

Al Snow vs. Blackjack Windham

A back and forth bout ends when Al Snow hits the Snow Plow. The fans were not interested in this match.

Winner: Al Snow

[5:42] [E]

Jim Ross: Here comes Faarooq accompanied by the newest member of the Nation, Ahmed Johnson.

Faarooq w/ Ahmed Johnson vs. Owen Hart

The match alternates between a Faarooq-led power game, and an Owen-led technical game. Faarooq eventually picks Owen up for the Dominator, when the crowd erupts. Faarooq drops Owen to see what’s going on. He turns around and sees The Rock brawling with Ahmed on the outside. As Faarooq watches, Owen comes behind him and rolls him up for the pin. Owen slides out of the ring before Faarooq gets up.

Winner: Owen Hart

[11:07] [b-]

Faarooq: You see Rock? This is why we had to remove you from the Nation. You always stick your nose where it doesn’t belong. If not for you I would have just beaten Owen Hart. Since you decided to interfere, tonight you will face Ahmed for his Intercontinental Title.

With Faarooq still in the ring, the owner comes out.

Owner: Hold it. I’m in charge here, not you. But I do like that idea. Tonight The Rock will challenge Ahmed. Yes. I like that. And why don’t we have a special guest referee? How about….Faarooq!!

The owner leaves.

Jerry Lawler: I don’t think this owner’s got too much going on in that head of his.

Jeff Jarrett walks to the ring.

Jarrett: Last night was the first man eliminated from the main event, at the hands of Triple H and Shawn Michaels. This proves that it takes more than one man to beat me. Let’s test this theory. Anybody in the back can come face me now. If I get beat, I will give the winner my guitar as a gift.

*glass shatters*

Stone Cold Steve Austin: You know Jeff, I wasn’t in the elimination match. If I had been, you would have found out what it felt like to be eliminated by one person. Let’s give it a try right now.

Jeff Jarrett vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

Austin slides in the ring and pummels Jarrett all over the ring. Jarrett struggles to get in any offense against the Rattlesnake. Stone Cold puts an end to the match with a stunner.

Winner: Stone Cold Steve Austin

[11:40]

After the bell rings, Austin gets some beer and goes up on each turnbuckle to celebrate with the fans. As he comes down from the last corner of the ring, Jarrett smashes a guitar over his head.

Jarrett: There’s your gift.

Intercontinental Title Match

Ahmed Johnson © vs. The Rock

Special Guest Referee: Faarooq

Obviously, Ahmed and Faarooq gang up on The Rock for most of the match. The Rock does a good job of staying in it, but cannot fight off both men. Faarooq hits him with a Dominator and then makes a quick count as Ahmed covers.

Winner: Ahmed Johnson, making defense number 1

[7:16] [C+]

We are taken to the backstage area where Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Road Dogg, Billy Gunn, and Chyna are waiting. Shawn challenges Mankind and Ken Shamrock to a match against himself and Triple H.

The owner again appears on the stage.

Owner: Shawn, you guys just don’t listen. I’m the one in charge here. You can’t just make a match yourself. It has to go through me first. I do like your idea, but let’s twist it up a bit. We will have Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Mankind, and Ken Shamrock appear tonight, as well as the embattled brothers Kane and The Undertaker.

*crowd pops*

Owner: Hey, you don’t even know what I’m going to say. Tonight, Kane will take on…

*crowd: The Undertaker!*

Owner: Ken Shamrock! And Shawn Michaels and Triple H will take on Mankind and The Undertaker. Enjoy the show.

Kane w/ Paul Bearer vs. Ken Shamrock

Even Shamrock’s best is not enough to take out Kane. After some back and forth action, he gets Kane down on the mat. Shamrock goes for the ankle lock, but Kane rolls over and puts a big boot to Shamrock’s chest. With Shamrock reeling, Kane gives him a big chokeslam followed by a tombstone.

Winner: Kane

[10:48]

Owner: Very nice. I forgot to mention earlier: For the next match, Chyna is barred from appearing at ringside. I want to see a legitimate contest out there.

Mankind and The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels and Triple H

Before the match has even begun, it is clear that there is a big difference between the two teams. Shawn Michaels and Triple H are best friends, while Mankind and The Undertaker despise each other. This lack of trust comes into play during the match. The Undertaker tries to tag in Mankind, but Mankind drops off the apron, hanging Taker out to dry. Triple H pulls The Undertaker back to DX’s corner, where he and Michaels continue the assault. The Undertaker makes a bit of a comeback, fighting off Michaels and then walking up to Mankind in the corner. The two glare at each other, then Mankind tags himself in. He runs of Michaels and then knocks Triple H off the apron. The referee walks to the side of the ring and yells for Triple H to get back in. While the ref’s back is turned, The Undertaker comes in, presumably to help Mankind. Instead, he grabs Mankind for a chokeslam. He releases, and chokeslams Michaels instead. Mankind then shoves The Undertaker, and then the two argue. Triple H gets back on the apron, then the referee yells at The Undertaker to get out of the ring. The ref walks Taker back to his corner, allowing Triple H to get in the ring and Pedigree Mankind. He pulls Michaels on top of Mankind and then runs back to the apron. The referee turns back around just in time to make the count.

Winner: Shawn Michaels and Triple H

[17:53]

Michaels and Triple H exit the ring, but Mankind and The Undertaker are still inside it, arguing. They continue to argue, when the lights go out. Kane’s music then plays. The lights come back on and Kane is standing in the ring, looking down at Mankind and The Undertaker, who are down and out in the ring. The camera fades away.

Final Rating: B-

The World Wrestling Federation has risen to Global size.

RAW

Live from Calihan Hall in Detroit, Michigan in front of 9,413 people.

RAW begins with a highlight video from last week’s tag team match that pitted Shawn Michaels and Triple H against Mankind and The Undertaker. The video ends after showing the argument between Mankind and The Undertaker. After the video, The Undertaker makes a dramatic entrance.

After the extended entrance, The Undertaker rants about Mankind. He demands a match with Mankind tonight.

Mankind comes out and declines The Undertaker’s offer, but he has an offer of his own: Mankind vs. The Undertaker. Tonight. In a steel cage. The Undertaker accepts.

Goldust w/ Luna vs. Vader

Goldust sets the tone by coming to the ring wearing a gold Vader mask. This does not impress Vader, who powers over Goldust impressively. Goldust can hardly get a punch in against the Mastodon.

Winner: Vader

[6:34] [C]

A camera takes us outside the arena. A limousine pulls up, and out walk DX.

Light Heavyweight Championship Match

Brian Christopher vs. Flash Funk ©

Flash takes Christopher to school, teaching him what it takes to be a WWF belt holder.

Winner: Flash Funk, making defense number one

[5:50] [E]

Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Road Dogg, Billy Gunn, and Chyna make their way to the ring.

Shawn: Hey owner, I need to talk to you. It has been four weeks since you stole my world title. We still don’t have a champion. I have an idea for a new champion. I am a three time World Heavyweight Champion, so I can wait. But my friend Triple H deserves it.

Triple H looks as shocked as the rest of us.

Just then, the owner walks out.

Owner: I’ve heard enough out of you two. All you two need to worry about is meeting my demands.

Triple H: We’ll meet your demands if you tell us your name.

Owner: Michael Hickenbottom

Shawn gives him a strange look.

Owner: Alright, I’m joking. You can call me Jim Dean.

Triple H laughs.

Triple H: The sausage man????? Ahahahahaha

Shawn: Okay Mr. Sausage, what do you think about my proposal?

Mr. Sausage: Taking that into consideration, along with the Mankind/Undertaker challenge from earlier. I have decided on tonight’s matches. I will be back later tonight to announce them.

Shawn, Triple H, and Chyna exit, leaving Road Dogg and Billy Gunn in the ring. The New Age Outlaws get on the mic and taunt the crowd. After a short while of taunting, Ahmed Johnson and D’Lo Brown run to the ring and serve the NAO with a beatdown.

DOA vs. The Legion of Doom

With two experience teams going at it, this match is a good one. LOD always seem to take the upper hand, and finishing things off with the Doomsday Device.

Winner: Legion of Doom

[6:54] [D-]

The New Age Outlaws storm into Mr. Sausage’s office, demanding a match against The Nation.

Sausage: You know guys, you aren’t the only ones with a vendetta against The Nation. The Rock has also had issues with them. Yes, I like this idea. Tonight we will see you two and The Rock take on Ahmed, D’Lo, and Kama.

Bradshaw vs. Owen Hart

The first match of the new and improved Bradshaw is a great one. The competitors go back and forth for most of the match. Bradshaw’s power prevents Owen from getting his technical game going. Bradshaw goes for a big clothesline but Owen ducks, making Bradshaw’s neck get snapped back by the top rope. Owen then applies the sharpshooter for the win.

[9:51] [b-]

As Owen celebrates his victory, Bradshaw goes on the attack. He pounds and slams Owen repeatedly, until Owen is knocked out.

Bradshaw: Like I said: By any means necessary.

After Owen gets helped out of the ring by the head trainer, Mr. Dean struts out.

Sausage: I’ve made my decision on tonight’s matches. We have a match agreed upon by Mankind and The Undertaker, as well as a title demand from Triple H. The former is slated to take place inside a steel cage. Now, to let everyone know that I’m in charge, I am changing things around. First, our wannabe champion Triple H will face…

*crowd yells various names*

Sausage: The Undertaker in a steel cage!!!!!

*crowd cheers*

Sausage: And when you’re talking about The Undertaker, Kane can’t be far behind. So let’s have Mankind against Kane in that same cage!

*crowd cheers*

Sausage: Next up is the six man tag match. Why don’t we put a stipulation on it? If The Nation wins, a tag team of Nation members will get a Tag Title shot next week on RAW!

Before the commercial break, we see The Rock approach The New Age Outlaws backstage.

The Rock: Listen up. I don’t know you, I don’t appreciate you, and I damn sure don’t like you. But tonight we’re facing my ex-buddies. So you two better not let me down.

Ahmed Johnson, D’Lo Brown, and Kama Mustafa vs. The Rock and The New Age Outlaws

The Outlaws do not let The Rock down, as they keep up the offense against The Nation. The Rock and Ahmed get tagged in at the same time, leading to Ahmed getting Rock Bottomed. D’Lo and Kama run in to help, but The Outlaws take care of them. This allows The Rock to make the cover for the win.

Winner: The Rock and The New Age Outlaws

[8:52] [C-]

Steel Cage Match

Kane w/ Paul Bearer vs. Mankind

Mankind uses reckless abandon to knock Kane off his game. Twice Mankind attempts to climb out of the cage, only to have Kane pull him back down to the mat. After Mankind’s second fall, Kane chokeslams, then tombstones him. With Paul Bearer’s help, Kane opens the cage door and walks out.

[12:44] [b-]

Steel Cage Match

Triple H w/ Chyna and Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker

In contrast to the first cage match, this match is not very close at all. The Undertaker destroys Triple H, then looks for his exit. He opens the cage door and steps out, only to have Chyna slam the door on his head. The Undertaker goes down, giving Triple H time to get up. He tries for the pedigree, but gets backdropped by The Undertaker. Shawn and Chyna go through the door and into the ring to try to keep The Undertaker from getting out. As they get in, Stone Cold Steve Austin runs out and pulls Shawn out of the ring. The two brawl on the outside, while The Undertaker chokeslams Chyna on the inside. He picks up Triple H for one last tombstone, and walks through the door.

Winner: The Undertaker

[19:56] [b-]

The camera follows The Undertaker as he walks up the ramp and into the back. A few moments later he comes flying out of the back, with blood covering his face. Kane’s music then plays as RAW comes to a close.

Disclaimer: No names used in this diary reflect my own name. ;)

RAW

Live from Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey in front of 9,595 people.

Jim Ross: Good evening folks. Tonight we’re going to have a match that will allow one of our lesser known superstars to enter the Royal Rumble. That’s right, tonight you will see a ten man battle royal. The winner of this match gets a spot in the Rumble. Next week will be another 10 man battle royal. You’ve got to respect our new owner giving an opportunity to these guys.

The owner comes out.

Jim Dean: Everyone needs to remember that I’m the boss. Tonight I am going to remind every single person in this arena of just that. So, to start: Ahmed Johnson, you will defend your Intercontinental Title against Billy Gunn right now, without any ringside helpers.

The owner leaves.

Intercontinental Title Match

Ahmed Johnson © vs. Billy Gunn

A good match is won with a powerbomb from Ahmed.

Winner: Ahmed Johnson, making defense number 2

[9:59] [C]

The owner reappears.

Dean: Next up is our Royal Rumble qualifying battle royal. I have already selected 28 of the 30 competitors who will take part in the Rumble. First off, all of our current title-holders will be included. That means Blackman and Funk can rest easy. The final two Rumble spots will be awarded to the winners of two qualifying battle royals. One will happen right now, the other will happen one week from now. Tonight's match will feature the RAW debut of Rikishi Fatu. Enjoy the show.

Battle Royal For Royal Rumble Spot

Rikishi Fatu vs. Marc Mero vs. Taka Michinoku vs. 8-Ball vs. Savio Vega vs. Henry O. Godwinn vs. Flash Flanagan vs. Bob Holly vs. Super Loco vs. Bart Gunn

Rikishi looks great, eliminating 6 of the other 9 competitors. The final four is Rikishi, Marc Mero, Henry O. Godwinn, and Bob Holly. Rikishi eliminates Holly while Godwinn knocks out Mero. Rikishi then knocks out Henry O.

Winner: Rikishi Fatu

[9:38] [D-]

Blackjack Windham vs. Goldust

Goldust makes Windham look bad.

Winner: Goldust

[6:32] [D+]

Again the owner comes out.

Dean: Since tonight is my night…actually every Monday night is my night. But since tonight is my night, I feel we should settle a few scores. Next up is D’Lo against The Rock.

D’Lo Brown vs. The Rock

The Rock is matched by D’Lo for most of the contest. D’Lo tries for The Lo Down, but The Rock moves, picks D’Lo up, and nails a Rock Bottom.

Winner: The Rock

[9:39] [C+]

Dean: Shamrock/Road Dogg, right now.

Ken Shamrock vs. Road Dogg

Shamrock mauls Road Dogg throughout. The ankle lock makes Road Dogg tap out.

Winner: Ken Shamrock

[9:06] [b-]

Dean: Lately Degeneration-X has been annoying me. Shawn and Hunter, you two think you’re the top superstars in this company? Let’s see how well you work together against the Legion of Doom.

Legion of Doom vs. Triple H and Shawn Michaels

LOD use teamwork to keep DX down. The explosiveness of Michaels turns the momentum in DX’s favor. He hits sweet chin music on both Road Warriors, then makes the cover.

Winner: Triple H and Shawn Michaels

[7:57] [b-]

Dean: Very nice, very nice. You guys impress me. For our last match, I could have gone several ways. We could have a World Heavyweight Title match. We could have Owen Hart take on Jeff Jarrett. We could have The Undertaker take on Kane. I could take on Stone Cold Steve Austin. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. I have decided on a tag match. Jeff Jarrett and Kane against Owen Hart and The Undertaker. Let’s let them work out their differences in the ring.

Jeff Jarrett and Kane vs. Owen Hart and The Undertaker

The match mainly consists of Jeff Jarrett fighting The Undertaker, and Owen Hart fighting Kane. The feuds don’t get much of a chance to be resolved. The match ends with Kane tombstoning Owen Hart. After the match Kane and The Undertaker square off, until all the officials from the back come out and stop the brawling.

Winner: Jeff Jarrett and Kane

[15:04] [b-]

Dean: Again, very nice. I love when families come together and appreciate each other. That’s all for tonight. Remember that we’re less than two weeks away from the Royal Rumble. Until next week, enjoy the show.

Final Rating: C- Need more storylines.

WWF falls to Cult.

RAW

Live from The Palestra in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in front of 10,000 people.

Jim Ross: Good evening folks, we are less than a week away from the Royal Rumble. Our new owner tells us that this Rumble will be one of the most important ones ever. What he means by that, nobody knows.

Faarooq vs. Vader

Faarooq wins with a dominator.

Winner: Faarooq

[7:50] [C+]

After the match, Faarooq grabs a microphone.

Faarooq: Hey Rock, I’ve got an idea. Remember how you and the Outlaws beat my guys a couple weeks ago? Well I think the people want to see that matchup again. But this time, if my guys can win, I get a shot at you at the Rumble in a match of my choosing.

Battle Royal For Royal Rumble Spot

Al Snow vs. Blackjack Windhamvs. Miguel Perez Jr vs. Phinias I. Godwinn vs. Scott Taylor vs. Skull

Miguel Perez Jr went first, then Scott Taylor, then Phinias, then Windham, and finally Skull. Al Snow only eliminated Scott Taylor and Skull.

Winner: Al Snow

[9:40] [D]

Bradshaw and Goldust vs. Legion of Doom

While Bradshaw distracts the referee, Goldust kicks RW Hawk in the crotch and then makes the cover when the ref turns back around.

Winner: Bradshaw and Goldust

[7:23] [D+]

Bradshaw gets on the mic.

Bradshaw: Vader, I watched you get beat by Faarooq earlier tonight. By the way, I like that Faarooq guy. Anyhow, I’d like to be beat you at the Rumble. If we don’t hear from you, we’ll assume you agree to the match.

Bradshaw leaves, and the owner makes his first appearance.

Jim Dean: I want to see two of our biggest superstars face each other. Mabel and Taker, let’s go.

Mabel vs. The Undertaker

The match ends when The Undertaker is somehow able to chokeslam Mabel. Despite only being lifted a few inches off the ground, the massive Mabel goes down hard and is pinned.

[5:49] [C+]

Six Man Tag Rematch

Ahmed Johnson, D’Lo Brown, and Kama Mustafa vs. The Rock and The New Age Outlaws

Just like the first time around, The Rock hits Ahmed with a rock bottom, but Faarooq runs in before he can make the cover. D’Lo and Kama take out the referee, allowing Faarooq to interfere. It’s almost like they planned it that way. Faarooq hits the dominator on The Rock, then knocks the Outlaws out of the ring. D’Lo helps the referee up just in time for Kama to make the pin.

Winner: Ahmed Johnson, D’Lo Brown, and Kama Mustafa

[9:03] [C-]

Faarooq: Well Rock, I guess it’s you and me this Sunday. I’ll make the announcement regarding the type of match right now. You and me, this Sunday, in a last man standing match.

The owner again enters.

Dean: Our final two matches tonight will be Mankind against Shawn Michaels, and Jeff Jarrett against Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Mankind vs. Shawn Michaels

Mankind battles hard against Shawn, but eventually gets a sweet chin music for his troubles. Surprisingly, Triple H and Chyna do not interfere.

Winner: Shawn Michaels

[15:50] [b+]

Jeff Jarrett vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

In another long match, Jarrett is pinned after the stunner.

[21:26] [A]

The owner comes out to make one last set of announcements. He is carrying a briefcase.

Dean: I have a few closing remarks to make. First, I would like to announce the card for this Sunday’s Royal Rumble. I like the challenges I’ve heard tonight, so aside from the Rumble itself, we will see Bradshaw take on Vader and we will see Faarooq against The Rock in a last man standing match. I am now declaring that we will see Jeff Jarrett take on Owen Hart. I’d like to see who will come out on top in that ugly feud. We will see Steve Blackman defend his European title against Savio Vega. Also taking place will be Mankind against Goldust, to see which freak is the sickest. The final match will be Stone Cold Steve Austin against Triple H.

Dean: And now, for the big announcement...

Dean: As you have probably heard, this year’s Royal Rumble match will be the most important one in history. But up until now, none of you know why. Well, after the Rumble, there is going to be a 16 man, double elimination tournament. This winner of this tournament will win the contents of this briefcase, which will not be revealed until the culmination of this tournament, in eight weeks at Wrestlemania!!!

Dean: Now, what does this have to do with the Royal Rumble? The winner of the Rumble gets a guaranteed spot in the tournament!! The other 15 spots will be chosen by me. After the Rumble match, I will come out to congratulate the winner and to announce the other 15 competitors who will take part in the tournament. Thank you and goodnight!

Jim Ross: I wonder what could be in that briefcase.

Jerry Lawler: It’s the World Title belt, JR.

JR: I don’t know King, I have a feeling it’s something else entirely…

Final Rating: B

Royal Rumble prediction card:

Royal Rumble match, for spot in tournament

Bradshaw vs. Vader

Faarooq vs. The Rock in a last man standing match

Jeff Jarrett vs. Owen Hart

European Title Match:

Savio Vega vs. Steve Blackman

Steve Austin vs. Triple H

Goldust vs. Mankind

Royal Rumble

Live from Miller Park in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in front of 49,588 people.

Goldust vs. Mankind

Goldust misses a kick to Mankind’s groin, turns around, and is greeted with a double arm DDT.

Winner: Mankind

[15:44]

WWF European Title Match

Savio Vega vs. “The Lethal Weapon” Steve Blackman

Vega taps out during a guillotine choke.

Winner: Steve Blackman, making defense number 3

[6:59][D]

Bradshaw vs. Vader

Bradshaw gives Vader a taste of his own medicine, winning with a power bomb.

Winner: Bradshaw

[14:03][C]

Jeff Jarrett vs. Owen Hart

At the end of a tough match, Jarrett taps out to a sharpshooter.

[17:34][b-]

Last Man Standing Match

Faarooq vs. The Rock

This match was dominated by The Rock, who wielded a chair for most of it. Faarooq takes a ton of shots with it, but always makes the ten count. He eventually gets control of the chair and gives The Rock two shots to the head. He picks The Rock up and delivers a dominator on top of the chair. The Rock does not get up.

Winner: Faarooq

[12:08][b-]

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Triple H

The epic battle is interrupted when the owner walks to ringside, holding the mystery briefcase he first showed us on RAW. This distracts Austin, who nearly gets a pedigree. He manages to get out and gives Triple H a stunner. After the match he gives the owner an earful, removing any theories that the two are in cahoots.

[25:52][A]

Before the main event, the owner gets on the mic.

Jim Dean: I can verify that the order of entrance in the following match was created randomly, with the exception of the number 30 slot which Kane won at In Your House[/]. Al Snow and Rikishi Fatu won spots in the match. I have selected the other 27 participants. After the match I will announce the participants in the tournament for this briefcase. Enjoy.

The Royal Rumble Match

Entrant 1: The Undertaker

Entrant 2: Road Warrior Animal

In ring: The Undertaker, Road Warrior Animal

The two go at it, but Taker can’t get RW Animal over the top before the next person comes out…

Entrant 3: Ken Shamrock

In ring: The Undertaker, Road Warrior Animal, Ken Shamrock

Shamrock goes right after The Undertaker, allowing RW Animal to remain in the ring perhaps longer than he should have.

Entrant 4: European Champion Steve Blackman

In ring: The Undertaker, Road Warrior Animal, Ken Shamrock, Steve Blackman

The Lethal Weapon makes the mistake of getting in between Shamrock and The Undertaker. In an impressive display of strength, The Undertaker tosses Blackman out of the ring for our first elimination.

Entrant 5: Kama Mustafa

In ring: The Undertaker, Road Warrior Animal, Ken Shamrock, Kama Mustafa

Kama replicates Blackman’s mistake, but this time is eliminated by Shamrock. Shamrock then knocks RW Animal out of the ring.

Entrant 6: Steve Austin

Entrant 7: Triple H

Entrant 8: Flash Funk

In ring: The Undertaker, Ken Shamrock, Steve Austin, Triple H, Flash Funk

The obvious weak link in the ring, Flash Funk, is quickly eliminated by Steve Austin.

Entrant 9: Brian Christopher

In ring: The Undertaker, Ken Shamrock, Steve Austin, Triple H, Brian Christopher

At the same time Shamrock has Brian Christopher hanging on for dear life, Triple H has The Undertaker in the same position. At virtually the same time, Christopher and Taker touch the ground.

Entrant 10: Mankind

Entrant 11: The Rock

Entrant 12: D’Lo Brown

In ring: Ken Shamrock, Steve Austin, Triple H, Mankind, The Rock, D’Lo Brown

As D’Lo enters the ring, his ex-friend The Rock promptly throws him out.

Entrant 13: Intercontinental Champion Ahmed Johnson

In ring: Ken Shamrock, Steve Austin, Triple H, Mankind, The Rock, Ahmed Johnson

The Rock tries to do to Ahmed what he did to D’Lo, put Ahmed avoids going over the top. As The Rock goes down, Mankind comes to help him up. Ahmed grabs the vulnerable Mankind and uses his strength to throw him over and out.

Entrant 14: Goldust

Entrant 15: Road Warrior Hawk

Entrant 16: Al Snow

Entrant 17: Thrasher

In ring: Ken Shamrock, Steve Austin, Triple H, The Rock, Ahmed Johnson, Goldust, Road Warrior Hawk, Al Snow, Thrasher

The ring starts to get crowded now. Goldust quickly knocks out RW Hawk. As Goldust celebrates, Al Snow shoves him out. Gaining momentum from the crowd, Snow also eliminates Thrasher.

Entrant 18: Road Dogg

Entrant 19: Shawn Michaels

In ring: Ken Shamrock, Steve Austin, Triple H, The Rock, Ahmed Johnson, Al Snow, Road Dogg, Shawn Michaels

DX members Road Dogg and Shawn Michaels work together, Road Dogg helping Michaels eliminate the feisty Shamrock.

Entrant 20: Bradshaw

Entrant 21: Mabel

In ring: Steve Austin, Triple H, The Rock, Ahmed Johnson, Al Snow, Road Dogg, Shawn Michaels, Bradshaw, Mabel

The Rock finally gets his hands on Ahmed Johnson, delivering a Rock Bottom before tossing out Ahmed.

Entrant 22: Vader

In ring: Steve Austin, Triple H, The Rock, Al Snow, Road Dogg, Shawn Michaels, Bradshaw, Mabel, Vader

The participants allow Bradshaw and Vader to brawl in the middle of the ring, reviving the intensity from their match earlier in the night. Meanwhile, the still alive members of DX try to lift Mabel to no avail.

Entrant 23: Billy Gunn

In ring: Steve Austin, Triple H, The Rock, Al Snow, Road Dogg, Shawn Michaels, Bradshaw, Mabel, Vader, Billy Gunn

While the other members try to lift Mabel, they miss the fact that one of their own has just entered. Before they realize it, Al Snow knocks Billy over the ropes and onto the floor. At the same time, Bradshaw is able to clothesline Vader out of the ring.

In ring: Steve Austin, Triple H, The Rock, Al Snow, Road Dogg, Shawn Michaels, Bradshaw, Mabel

Entrant 24: Jeff Jarrett

Entrant 25: Rikishi Fatu

In ring: Steve Austin, Triple H, The Rock, Al Snow, Road Dogg, Shawn Michaels, Bradshaw, Mabel, Jeff Jarrett, Rikishi Fatu

As DX finally give up on eliminating Mabel, Rikishi runs to Mabel and slams into him, sending them both over the top.

Entrant 26: Chyna

In ring: Steve Austin, Triple H, The Rock, Al Snow, Road Dogg, Shawn Michaels, Bradshaw, Jeff Jarrett, Chyna

The competitors are shocked as Chyna runs down the ramp and slides in the ring. Triple H and Road Dogg whip Al Snow toward her, and she slams him hard on the mat. She then picks him up and throws him out.

Entrant 27: Faarooq

In ring: Steve Austin, Triple H, The Rock, Road Dogg, Shawn Michaels, Bradshaw, Jeff Jarrett, Chyna, Faarooq

As Faarooq runs toward The Rock, the members of DX pounce on him. He is able to fight them all off, and even manages to send Road Dogg over the top. He then clashes with The Rock, in a rematch from their last man standing contest earlier in the night. This time, The Rock comes out on top, tossing Faarooq from the ring.

Entrant 28: Owen Hart

In ring: Steve Austin, Triple H, The Rock, Shawn Michaels, Bradshaw, Jeff Jarrett, Chyna, Owen Hart

When Owen slides in the ring, he is immediately greeted with a low blow from Chyna. Surprisingly, Owen does not flinch. He reaches into his pants and pulls out a plastic cup. He then whips Chyna over the top.

Entrant 29: Mosh

In ring: Steve Austin, Triple H, The Rock, Shawn Michaels, Bradshaw, Jeff Jarrett, Owen Hart, Mosh

The feuding Owen Hart and Jeff Jarrett battle in the ring, until Owen is able to knock Jarrett out.

Soon after, the lights go off…

Entrant 30: Kane

In ring: Steve Austin, Triple H, The Rock, Shawn Michaels, Bradshaw, Owen Hart, Mosh, Kane

As Kane slowly walks toward the ring, the participants inside the ring stand in awe of the big red machine. Almost on cue, Steve Austin charges Shawn Michaels, and Owen Hart charges The Rock. Michaels and The Rock are eliminated, ending up right in front of Kane. Kane gives them a double chokeslam on the outside for good measure.

In ring: Steve Austin, Triple H, Bradshaw, Owen Hart, Mosh, Kane

Kane gets in, and immediately throws out Mosh.

In ring: Steve Austin, Triple H, Bradshaw, Owen Hart, Kane

Triple H and Austin battle on the ropes. Kane has evidently seen enough, and sends them both out with a double clothesline.

In ring: Bradshaw, Owen Hart, Kane

Kane them turns to Owen. He chokeslams him, and then slowly picks him up and tosses him out.

In ring: Bradshaw, Kane

Before Kane can turn around, Bradshaw hits him with a huge clothesline, sending Kane toppling over the top rope. We have a winner!! Bradshaw!!

Winner: Bradshaw

[69:31][C]

Kane hits the ground, realizing what happened. He gets back in the ring and delivers a serious beatdown to Bradshaw. After a chokeslam and a tombstone, the owner comes out.

Dean: Calm down Kane. Wow, that was exciting. It is now time to announce the participants in the tournament. To save on drama, I’ll just show you the bracket. I selected the first round matchups based on how much they interested me. The tournament begins tomorrow night on RAW.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u112/MAkerfeldt/Untitled-3.jpg

Final Rating: C+

• 4 weeks later...
RAW

Live from the Bank of America Center in Seattle, Washington in front of 10,000 people.

To start things off, our owner walks out.

Jim Dean: As you know, tonight is the start of our tournament for the contents of this briefcase. We will see as many as four tournament matches a week. Since that will leave many of our tournament participants with nothing to do, I am scheduling warm up matches for superstars whose tournament match is next week.

Dean: The tournament schedule for this week is Goldust vs. The Undertaker and, my personal favorite, in a rematch from last night’s Royal Rumble, Faarooq vs. The Rock.

Dean: Next week we will see Kane vs. Mankind and Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Ahmed Johnson. So these four superstars will be in action tonight in warm up matches. Let the games begin.

Tournament Warm Up Match

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Rikishi Fatu

This match was perhaps more of a challenge for Austin than the term ‘warm up match’ would suggest. Nevertheless, he pulls out the victory.

Jim Ross: I can only hope that Austin has something left in the tank for his tournament match next week.

WWF European Title Match

Savio Vega vs. “The Lethal Weapon” Steve Blackman ©

Blackman quickly wins, retaining his European title.

Winner: “The Lethal Weapon” Steve Blackman

JR: We are being told that the next match will be Mankind against 8-Ball.

Tournament Warm Up Match

8-Ball vs. Mankind

Mankind wins his warm up much quicker than Austin won his.

Winner: Mankind

Our owner enters again.

Dean: Recently there has been some tension between DX and The Nation. I think this is a good thing. So tonight, let’s have The New Age Outlaws defend their tag titles against D’Lo and Mabel.

WWF Tag Team Title Match

The Nation vs. The New Age Outlaws ©

The Outlaws do a good job of keeping D’Lo in their own corner, effectively taking big Mabel out of the match. This leads to a comfortable win.

Winner: The New Age Outlaws

JR: The next two warm up matches are up coming up.

Tournament Warm Up Match

Ahmed Johnson vs. Bart Gunn

Ahmed successfully wins his warm up match without exerting much energy.

Winner: Ahmed Johnson

Tournament Warm Up Match

Al Snow vs. Kane

Kane destroys Al Snow in what was the shortest of the four warm up matches.

After Kane exits, Shawn Michaels and Triple H make their way to the ring.

Michaels: Hey JD, we demand to know what’s in that briefcase.

Triple H: Yeah, since one of us is going to win it, we have a right to know what we’re winning.

Dean walks out to the stage.

Dean: Apparently you fools haven’t checked the bracket I sent you. Let’s see here… First round, bottom match: Michaels vs. Triple H. You two have to face each other before you have a chance at winning this briefcase.

Judging by their reactions, the two men in the ring indeed have not looked at the brackets.

Dean: Well, you guys have two weeks to figure something out. At that time, you two will be placed in the ring and forced to fight it out to produce a winner. However, it is now time to see if The Rock can avenge his loss from last night.

Tournament Match

Faarooq vs. The Rock

This match contains all of the intensity of their Royal Rumble match and then some. The Rock is eventually able to hit the Rock Bottom for the win.

Winner: The Rock

As The Rock celebrates in the ring, Jim Ross reminds us of the tournament format.

JR: Remember folks, this is a double elimination tournament. That means that Faarooq is not eliminated, but his road just became that much harder.

Tournament Match

Goldust vs. The Undertaker

Surprisingly, Goldust is able to put up a decent fight against The Undertaker. It is not enough, as the dead man gives Goldust a chokeslam and tombstone for his troubles.

Next week on RAW:

Tournament matches:

Kane vs. Mankind

Ahmed Johnson vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

In warm up action:

Owen Hart

Jeff Jarrett

Bradshaw

Vader

Ken Shamrock

Kama Mustafa

Shawn Michaels

Triple H

I will post an updated bracket at the end of each round.

It's funny that this was my highest rated show yet (4.09 on USA Network, my previous high was 3.68), and I'm more popular than ever before, but because I'm cult I'm getting ratings warnings like crazy. It will just make it that much more challenging I guess. :D

Archived