SPOILERS UFC 94 Discussion

ACCBiggz

It was that he had vasoline on his back, which would cause gripping problems and such in the grappling area. Dana White, I believe, has even confirmed as such that during the fight the NSAC yelled at his corner as they reconigzed this going on... I ca't confirm that myself, but perhaps someone can find the story.

Got it:

LAS VEGAS - Although it flew under the radar for most of the fans in attendance and those watching on television, there was an incident during the UFC 94 main event mega-fight between Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn that could land one of St. Pierre's cornermen in hot water.

It seems that at some point between the first and second rounds, a St. Pierre cornerman allegedly applied Vaseline to St. Pierre's back, an infraction of the rules.

"I saw the commission jump up there and flip out. They said that one of the guys was rubbing Vaseline on GSP's back... in between one of the rounds, one and two, I think," said UFC president Dana White following the UFC 94 post-fight press conference. "I personally didn't see it, the commission did. And that's about as illegal as you can get... I'm sure the commission is going to deal (with it)."

St. Pierre was clearly wiped down with towels in between rounds two and three, and again between rounds three and four, by a commission official.

White believes - while the allegations are serious and that there should be serious repercussions - the outcome of the fight wasn't tainted by the incident.

"You could have put Vaseline on from head to toe, that wasn't the point, the point was you don't do it. It's illegal. The guy who did it needs to be punished, it's not (St. Pierre's) fault," said the UFC president. "The question is what happens to a guy that does that. You've got to put the smack down on him. He should lose his license.

"I don't think that impacted the fight, I don't."

A representative of Penn's camp informed MMAWeekly.com that they had not yet determined whether to file a formal complaint with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

There was no comment available from St. Pierre's camp or from the Nevada State Athletic Commission at the time of publication.

Archived