The J-Crown

alphadraighon

I just had a random thought while doing some jumping around in wrestling histories:

During his time in WCW Último Dragón became the J-Crown champion in NJPW. I remember watching him come out with the eight belts and thinking it was cool, but not really thinking too much else about it. But it now occurs to me that one of those eight belts was the WWF Light Heavyweight title, which had been created for and used by UWA in Mexico, but somehow ended up in NJPW, where it was unified into the J-Crown. So it would appear that for a short time during the '96, a WWF belt appeared on WCW television, although I don't recall if the J-Crown was ever defended in WCW.

On a side note, I always enjoyed watching things like the J-Crown, or the AJPW Triple Crown, and the short-lived FMW Double Title, or when WWE had separate belts during the early days of the Undisputed title. You don't see much of that in the US.

God, going through airport security with that must have been a burden.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/backstagepowers/UltimoDragon-1.jpg

This is a great shot of the Dragon. He actually has ten belts in this one, because it was taken during his time with WCW, when he was WCW cruiserweight champion (wonder why they never counted that as part of the J-Crown) and also the NWA middleweight champion.

although I don't recall if the J-Crown was ever defended in WCW.

At least once, World War 3 November of 1996 against Rey Misterio Jr.

I remember reading about this a while back, and I was surprised that the J-Crown only lasted about three years before parent companies wanted 'their' titles back - or in WWF's case, wanted to create a new title with the same name.

It lasted only a little over a year. September of 96 till November of 97, when WWF forced them to get rid of their title as previously mentioned. So Shinjiro Ohtani vacated all titles except NJPW's IWGP Jr. title. And at that point the J-Crown was down to 7 titles as Liger (third person to hold the J crown, won from Ultimo Dragon on the 97 Jan 4th Tokyo Dome show) had lost the WAR International Junior Heavyweight title during his reign.

Archived