My WEFF Journal

This will be sort of my own little journal of thoughts and analysis on my WEFF dynasty. I'm not really a storyteller like most, but hopefully it'll be enjoyable to read. So, without further ado:

WEFF 20

To be held in Quebec on Saturday of Week 4, January

Fightcard:

Sarah Vaughan (11-1) vs. Vicki Summers (11-1) (Women's Heavyweight) for the Women's Heavyweight Title

Both are very similar in many areas, including ground game, experience, age, height, reach, reputation, and popularity. However, there is one thing that is distinct about each of them. Vaughan is a very good submission artist, while Summers has no submission skills or defense to speak of. On the otherhand, Summers possesses a much more potent standup striking game than Vaughan, so it may be ultimately up to Vaughan to take the fight to the ground. That said, it's going to be very close and I wouldn't be surprised if it's decided by a close decision.

I'm not too worried about who wins this fight, but Summers is the more exciting fighter so I'd probably be rooting for her to win.

Erica Page (9-3) vs. Roz Wareing (6-1) (Women's Lightweight) for the Women's Lightweight Title

This fight was harder to decide on because there really isn't a clear cut contender for the LW title. I chose Wareing because she's the most popular, exciting to watch, and has a decent chance of beating Page. Page is a very one dimensional fighter who relies purely on taking her opponents down and subbing them, which she's only mediocre at best at. Wareing on the other hand is a bit more well-rounded, but still relies mostly on taking her opponents down and beating on them. So, this match is going to come down to who can take down who first, and either use their strength to win or rack up points to eek out a decision. Again, unlike Page, Wareing can earn some points in the clinch and using her decent dirty boxing skills, but it's uncertain how much her lack of experience will come in to play.

I would really like to see Wareing win because she's more exciting and popular than Page.

Pamela O'Neill (3-0) vs. Jennie Gill (5-0) (Women's Lightweight)

This match will determine who gets the next LW title shot. But, O'Neill is really the much better fighter here and it should be a pretty easy win for her. The reason I chose Gill was because she's actually really popular and exciting to watch. I gave O'Neill the shot at Gill because (as opposed to DeNeuve) she seems to be the better all around fighter. The only thing that might present some trouble to O'Neill is Gill's 4 inch height difference, but I don't see it as that much of a threat.

I'm really hoping on O'Neill to beat Gill. O'Neill could make a great LW champion with her combination of charisma, excitement, and all around game. The big bonus is that she's only 23 and seems to have a lot of potential.

Emma Birch (7-4) vs. Helen Fox (8-4) (Women's Heavyweight)

This is pretty much a can vs. can fight, but they're both decently popular and have some mediocre wrestling skills. The winner will be more or less a gatekeeper and the loser a competitive can.

Rachel McGuiness (6-0) vs. Maggie Martin (7-4) (Women's Heavyweight)

This should be an easy contest for McGuiness. However, McGuiness is by no means a good fighter and generally relies on her crazy cardio and mediocre standup skills to eek out decisions. Unless McGuiness can improve her game, she'll probably only end up being a good gatekeeper for fighters who are ready to take it to the next level.

Preliminary Bouts:

Temperance McCoy (1-0) vs Rhonda Britton (8-4) (Women's Heavyweight)

I wouldn't be surprise if McCoy ends up knocking out Britton here. This is really just a stepping stone for McCoy's success. I need to build up her experience and popularity and Britton is as good as of a can as any to help me achieve that.

Alicia Fothergill (3-5) vs. Daniela Sadorra (0-0) (Women's Heavyweight)

This will be Sadorra's first official MMA fight and hopefully a sign of the great things in store for Sadorra who has some crazy killer instincts. Fothergill is about as low as cans can get so an upset is highly unlikely.

Sue Eccleston (0-2) vs. Peyton (0-0) (Women's Lightweight)

Another can fight that Peyton should easily win. The one thing that concerns me about Peyton is her weak, almost glass-like chin. Unless she gets better at taking shots, she'll probably never be an elite fighter despite her great wrestling skills.

Thea Higgins (3-0) vs. Jocelyn Hescott (2-1) (Women's Lightweight)

An easy win for Thea Higgins, who is an even better wrestler than Peyton and has a real solid chin to boot. I'm thinking Higgins could be an elite level fighter in a few years. For now, she really needs the experience and some name value in Canada.

Diana Marr (0-3) vs. Steph Smith (1-0) (Women's Lightweight)

Diana Marr is a really horrible fighter. Steph Smith has a black belt in Jiu Jitsu. This match should be a no-brainer. Smith already has a little name recognition in Canada, but she still needs a lot of experience and perhaps some training in her weak areas (she's easy to takedown and has little standup to speak of).

WEFF 20 Results

Sarah Vaughan (11-1) vs. Vicki Summers (11-1) (Women's Heavyweight)

Summers is the aggressor to start round one, but Vaughan is quick to shoot for a takedown that ends up allowing Summers to clinch and control her against the cage. Surprisingly, Summers backs away, which allows Vaughan to shoot in again and nearly repeat the process of Summers backing her up against the cage, but the round ended before then. A solid round for Summers.

After some grappling exchanges that go nowhere, Vaughan has her takedown attempt stuffed by Summers and the round eventually ends with some exchanges that do little damage. Hard to say who won the round.

After some grappling exchanges that Vaughan easily counters, Summers manages to pin Vaughan up against the cage, and although she did control Vaughan for 30 seconds or so, Vaughan somehow takes avantage of Summers dirty boxing and reverses control. Vaughan quickly transitions into a nice takedown before the round ends. Again, very tough to call this round.

Round four starts much like round three with some grappling exchanges, but Vaughan comes away with another nice takedown. Summers looked gassed at this point, which was probably why it was so easy for Vaughan to pass into side control and hit some knees into Summer's side. This would eventually allow Vaughan to get the mount and apply an americana that made Summers tap out with just seconds to go in the round!

Summers displayed some good defensive skills, but it looked like she gassed in round four. I was impressed by Vaughan's very nice ground skills and tenacity throughout the match.

Sarah Vaughan defeats Vicki Summers (Submission in 2:55 of round 4). The match was rated as Great.

Erica Page (9-3) vs. Roz Wareing (6-1) (Women's Lightweight)

Early exchanges by both fighters to start that go nowhere, but Wareing presses Page hard and manages to get a nice takedown. After some struggling, Wareing managed to get into half guard, but had some real trouble advancing from there as she nearly got caught in a guillotine by Page. Not losing hope, Wareing tried passing guard once again and managed to get into side control before the round ended. Easy round for Wareing.

This time Page is the aggressor, but ends up eating a nicely timed jab by Wareing. Again, Wareing surprises Page by shooting in for a takedown and getting it. Wareing tries to use her ground and pound skills on Page, but Page looked to take them comfortably before nearly catching Wareing in another guillotine! Page did manage to sweep Wareing into side control though and just about got an americana on Wareing. Wareing defended it well and used her wrestling skills to sweep page and scramble to her feet before ending the round. Wareing probably got the round, but she nearly got subbed twice!

Page came out firing at Wareing in the second, but Wareing fought back and probably did more damage with her jabs. Again, Page takes it aggressively towards Wareing and does manage to score with a few, but Wareing keeps coming right back at her to end the round. A pretty exciting round that probably went to Page for being the aggressor.

Page, sensing the momentum in her favor, comes out firing, making Wareing have to retreat. But, Page just keeps coming at Wareing and, although Wareing attempted to takedown down Page near the end of the round, she got stuffed and even took a few jabs because of it. Another round for Page. Round 5 will be the decider!

Page gets a little too flashy with a kick that allows Wareing to press in on her, but that might have been a bad move on Wareing's part as Page gets in some nice jabs and forces Wareing back. With just a minute to go and knowing she's losing the round, Wareing shoots in on Page for a takedown, but ends up taking a hard shot before ending the round. That one will go to Page.

Erica Page has a better standup game than I thought. She managed to get a win without using her ground game at all, which is impressive. I would imagine experience played some part in the win as well. Wareing on the otherhand, while she started off well, just couldn't finish.

Erica Page defeats Roz Wareing (Unanimous Decision in 3:00 of round 5). The match was rated as being Good.

Pamela O'Neill (3-0) vs. Jennie Gill (5-0) (Women's Lightweight)

Some early exchanges to open the first round, which continued just past the halfway mark without much damage before O'Neill uses a few jabs for cover to go for an unsuccessful takedown and ending the round. Close, but O'Neill probably got it for being more aggressive and hitting a few jabs and a leg kick.

Some nice jabs thrown by O'Neill to start the second round that ends up in some missed exchanges by both fighters by around the halfway mark of the round. Again, O'Neill pummels Gill with some jabs and a leg kick before the round ends. Definitely O'Neill.

O'Neill opens the round aggressively and tries for a takedown, but Gill saw it coming and was able to move out of the way. O'Neill, not giving up, is right back on Gill, scoring some really nice jabs. It really seems O'Neill is winning the striking contests as she continues to batter Gill in almost every exchange. O'Neill easily won this round and the match.

Pamela O'Neill defeats Jennie Gill (Unanimous Decision in 3:00 of round 3). The match was rated as being Decent.

Emma Birch (7-4) vs. Helen Fox (8-4) (Women's Heavyweight)

Round one saw some heated exchanges, but nothing of any damage. Fox did manage to grapple Birch up against the cage and control her there for well over a minute. It was kind of cheap, but she got the round.

An early takedown attempt by Birch to start round two ended up being avoided by Fox, and after Fox continuing to evade Birch, Birch shoots in for another takedown which Fox again runs away from. Birch got the round for being more aggressive.

Again, Birch comes out firing at Fox and Fox again retreats. After some circling, Birch charges in to wrestle with Fox, but ends up in some grappling that Fox mostly controlled before the round ended. Still, Birch got points for being aggressive.

Talk about a snoozefest. Much to my surprise, Fox eeked out a split decision win! Bad judges, bad! I don't discredit fox for winning the grappling contests, but it was clear that Birch was being the aggressor and Fox was doing little to get points. I do REALLY love how the match was rated as "Abysmal" because it totally was. :)

Helen Fox defeats Emma Birch (Split Decision in 3:00 of round 3). The match was rated as being Abysmal.

Rachel McGuiness (6-0) vs. Maggie Martin (7-4) (Women's Heavyweight)

The match started with Martin firing away at McGuiness only to be countered with some big punches, which allowed her to trap and pummel Martin up against the cage. At that point the ref had to step in. McGuiness means business, apparently.

Rachel McGuiness defeats Maggie Martin (TKO in 0:24 of round 1). The match was rated as being Great.

Temperance McCoy (1-0) vs Rhonda Britton (8-4) (Women's Heavyweight)

McCoy was very aggressive in the first round, scoring with a jab right away, throwing some quick punches, and nailing her with a resounding leg kick. But, Britton managed to grapple with McCoy at the end and trap her against the cage, which may have lost McCoy the round.

Round two was pretty boring spent with them just circling and exchanging non-threatening attacks with one another. Still, McCoy was the better aggressor and probably won that round.

Round three had McCoy really putting the pressure on Britton, managing to score with some jabs and a nice kick to the hip towards the end, but it seemed Britton almost caught her with a vicious uppercut. It was enough to McCoy to win, however.

Temperance McCoy defeats Rhonda Britton (Unanimous Decision in 3:00 of round 3). The match was rated as Decent.

Alicia Fothergill (3-5) vs. Daniela Sadorra (0-0) (Women's Heavyweight)

The first round saw Sadorra attempting to shoot in on Fothergill early and avoiding a huge countering punch before Sadorra pulled off for about a minute and tried again. This time she was successful. For the minute that they were engaged on the ground, Sadorra was unsuccesful with the ground and pound as was Fothergill with escaping. An easy 10-9 round for Sadorra.

Round two was pretty boring and spent with each of them feeling each other out. Sadorra had a nice kick to the leg and made a pressing attack towards the end of the round, but it really didn't do much damage. Still, Sadorra got the round for being aggressive.

The third round had much more action, especially from Fothergill. Sadorra had some vicious leg kicks early, but had her takedown attempts stuffed twice from Fothergill and even was pinned up against the cage at one point. If it weren't for the vicious leg kicks early on, Fothergill would've had that round.

Daniela Sadorra defeats Alicia Fothergill (Unanimous Decision in 3:00 of round 3). The match was rated as Decent.

Sue Eccleston (0-2) vs. Peyton (0-0) (Women's Lightweight)

Hmm, I'm seeing a pattern here. Peyton shoots straight for a takedown and gets it, works into side control and gives a nice knee to the side before mounting Eccleston and firing away to get the ref to stop the match. And the fans go wild!

Clare Peyton defeats Sue Eccleston (TKO in 2:50 of round 1). The match was rated as being Fantastic.

Thea Higgins (3-0) vs. Jocelyn Hescott (2-1) (Women's Lightweight)

After stuffing a takedown attempt by Hescott early on, Higgins fakes out Hescott by sending a quick combination her way before taking her down and pulling guard. With under 30 seconds remaining, Higgins manages to work herself into mount and rain down enough fists that made the ref stop the match with just seconds before the end of round one. Again, the fans loved this match!

Thea Higgins defeats Jocelyn Hescott (TKO in 2:57 of round 1). The match was rated as being Fantastic.

Diana Marr (0-3) vs. Steph Smith (1-0) (Women's Lightweight)

Right away Steph Smith grappled with Marr, took her to the mat, mounted her, and in the final minute, managed to beat her into a TKO. I was surprised to see a beatdown rather than a submission. You know it's a good start to the night when your first preliminary fight is rated so highly. Wow.

Steph Smith defeats Diana Marr (TKO in 2:43 of round 1). The match was rated as being Fantastic.

Attendance: 551 for a gate of $16, 710

Show Rating: Excellent

Overall, I lost about $10,000 from the event, but that's a small price to pay for the gains in popularity.

WEFF 21

To be held in Quebec on Saturday of Week 4, February

Fightcard:

Haley Croft (10-2) vs. Alisha Wood (5-0) (Women's Heavyweight)

This match will determine who gets a shot at the HW title. Both have very different styles. Croft is all about the kickboxing and Wood is all about the wrestling. The caveat is that each fighter has little to no skills at what their opponent excels at.

I predict Croft to come out firing with kicks hoping to catch Wood with something, but it might be only a matter of time before Wood gets a hold of her and bullies her to the ground.

While Croft is the more exciting/charismatic and thus marketable fighter, Wood probably has the skills needed to be a champion. Either one winning should be good for WEFF.

Kerry Silverman (8-4) vs. Janinha (6-0) (Women's Heavyweight)

This should be the fight of the night as we have two of the most exciting fighters in the WEFF duking it out. Unfortunately, this should be a relatively easy match for Janinha to handle as her deadly muay thai skills will likely overwhelm Silverman, who really only relies on the power in her hands and general toughness.

I'm banking on Janinha to win because she's exciting and has what it takes to be a champion. A Silverman victory wouldn't be catastrophic, however, as she's really exciting to watch and could make a good stepping stone for another fighter.

Jenny DeNeuve (2-0) vs. Sandy Oliver (5-2) (Women's Lightweight)

Unless DeNeuve gets unlucky and gets caught on the ground, this should be an easy victory for her. Her explosive punches and kicks should be too much for Oliver to handle.

A win here for DeNeuve should start her on a path towards a title shot by the end of the year should her success continue. Oliver, on the otherhand, is more or less a gatekeeper.

Hope Lehane (7-2) vs. Henrietta Stein (7-2) (Women's Heavyweight)

Both of these fighters are really nothing special, but they should provide some good fodder in the future. It's hard to say who will win here. Lehane relies solely on submissions (which she's not too bad at) and Stein relies solely on her kickboxing (which she's not too bad at). It'll probably be decided on whether or not Lehane can get Stein down before Stein knocks her out.

Olivia Sweet (4-0) vs. Lisa Labone (4-1) (Women's Lightweight)

This match is kind of a feeling out process to see who has the brighter future. They are both ranked at #9 and #10 respectively in the LW division and a win should give them some better recognition there. I also booked this match because either of these fighters are by no means future stars, but are stuck somewhere between being good and being bad.

For example, Lisa Labone has a decently well-rounded ground game, is intelligent, has good cardio, incredibly charismatic, and holds a lot of promise, but has no standup to speak of, is slow, boring, and has a glass jaw.

Similarly, while Sweet displays some really nice kicking and punches, is intelligent, elusive, exciting, and has great cardio, she has no ground game and a very suspect chin.

This is why it is risky building up either of these fighters because they could just as easily go down in flames.

My favorite would be Sweet since she's much more exciting and Labone's glass jaw is just too much of a target for Sweet.

Premlinary Bouts:

Leslie Myers (1-0) vs. Sonya Charlton (1-3) (Women's Lightweight)

Charlton is pretty much a can to setup Myers' bright future. Her punching power and killer instincts are incredible, not to speak of being a marketing dream with her charisma and exciting matches.

Viv Yoman (6-6) vs. Shiho Konno (2-0) (Women's Heavyweight)

Can fight #2. I signed Konno because of her skilled kickboxing and killer instincts. While she might not ever have the skills to become a champion or elite fighter, I'm thinking she'll at least be a good contender.

Alyson Arroway (2-0) vs. Mio Mochizuki (2-4) (Women's Lightweight)

Arroway has some seriously good all-around skills that I couldn't pass up on and Mochizuki shouldn't give her any trouble.

Louise Griffin (6-5-1) vs. Layla Holmes (4-0) (Women's Lightweight)

Meet a future champion. Layla Holmes may be the most talented fighter in the WEFF with her excellent combination of standup and ground skills meshing well with her non-stop, in-your-face killer instincts. She just needs name value and experience at this point.

Kirsten Page (0-2) vs. Honey Due (2-0) (Women's Lightweight)

Honey Due is almost a mirror of Konno who I spoke of before. The thing that separates Due, however, is her much better killer instincts and an actual (though medicore) ground game. So, Honey Due really has a chance at being an elite fighter.

Archived