• keep it the same, 2 show minimum is fine
    • Bump it up a little,3-4 would be more in line with DOTM status
    • DOTM is for the break out each month I want to see 6-8 updates
    • only diaries keeping up with the WWE should qualify >9 required

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe you could create a quick and dirty formula

# of seconds needed = 4- #of shows outputted that month.

So if you dropped just one high quality show, you'd need a total of 4 votes to get onto the DotM (1 nomination + 3 "seconds") while if you put out 7 shows a month (i.e. 1 a week) then you'd just need a nomination and no second. This would reward your dedication and overall productivity. Doesn't mean that you can produce crap and still get nominated, it has to be good enough that someone wants to vote for it, but still it does give the higher productivity people a bit of a break by comparison.

So 3 shows a month requires a nomination and a "second"

2 shows a month requires a nomination and 2 "seconds"

1 show a month requires a nomination and 3 "seconds"

I like it, it is a fair compromise that balances recognition of quality with recognition of productivity.

Formulas are a wonderful thing. when I am not the one who has to enforce them. With my old job, I was around 14 hours a day 5 days a week, and while my wife was away, most of the week end as well.

Now wife is home, the new job has 0 access to the outside world and the yard is bigger...so less time. I am thinking based on the vote we are looking at a 3 or 4 post minimum, with a third nom needed if a show has less than that. who is going to be show counting? because to be honest that is the biggest reason I changed the rookie rule, I did not have time to count every new diaries post count.

I think it will be up to the person who nominates the diary 1st to clear the post count restriction, no show total, I won't count the Nom. The 3rd if needed has to come from some one who has been nominated in the past, this is simply to show that some one else in contention is agreeing that though they did not meet the post restriction, they meet the quality standard THIS MONTH, to compete for diary of the month. a single show, will be eligible at my discretion only (hey if one show is that good, it is worth my time to read it damn it!)

Proposed rule change: revision 1

4 show minimum for DOTM, with 2 nomination, less than that requires a third nomination by a previos nominee, and 1 show is at mods discretion only

this really should not be a problem, as quite often the really great diaries are bing 4rthed, 5thed and sixthed!

So does the new rule work? are there kinks I am missing? or do you for see a way this is going to blow up in my face? this is a trial for April DOTM only, and if it does not work, I reserve to the right to return things to the way they were.

Then does this really fix anything?

I am just wondering because if someone does just one show and all it takes is a couple of people to second it and stuff then did we really fix anything?

Now I could be reading this wrong but that is what I got from this

Well, yes and no.

The way I see the "problem" is that people are concerned that a single-update diary gets the nomination - which is relatively easy with just the nom and the second - and then wins DOTM vote moreso on popularity than merit. This is obviously only likely to happen with known and respected diaries, but it is possible.

This "safeguard" ensures that a diary that has fewer shows really is deserving to get a nomination. While I am admittedly biased towards the idea, it seems like a good compromise. It makes sure that a diary with limited updates actually is deserving of a nomination, but it doesn't unduly restrict them from nomination.

Then does this really fix anything?

I am just wondering because if someone does just one show and all it takes is a couple of people to second it and stuff then did we really fix anything?

Now I could be reading this wrong but that is what I got from this

Well, yes and no.

The way I see the "problem" is that people are concerned that a single-update diary gets the nomination - which is relatively easy with just the nom and the second - and then wins DOTM vote moreso on popularity than merit. This is obviously only likely to happen with known and respected diaries, but it is possible.

This "safeguard" ensures that a diary that has fewer shows really is deserving to get a nomination. While I am admittedly biased towards the idea, it seems like a good compromise. It makes sure that a diary with limited updates actually is deserving of a nomination, but it doesn't unduly restrict them from nomination.

And I am not sure it does it, but it at least tries to add some honor to those who have been nominated before, they are in essence being given the right to say who the rules will be bent for.

it also takes nominations off the table, do you spend that nomination to third Nevy's two post month, that great as it was was not his best work ever...or do you second that new diary that just made it out of rookie and might just be the next ecw world wide the way that writes is churning out 6 shows a month. (this is not a quantity vs quality thing, we are assuming that this brash new author is actually nevy in disguies and thus the quality is exactly or nearly so the same)

And I am not sure it does it, but it at least tries to add some honor to those who have been nominated before, they are in essence being given the right to say who the rules will be bent for.

it also takes nominations off the table, do you spend that nomination to third Nevy's two post month, that great as it was was not his best work ever...or do you second that new diary that just made it out of rookie and might just be the next ecw world wide the way that writes is churning out 6 shows a month. (this is not a quantity vs quality thing, we are assuming that this brash new author is actually nevy in disguies and thus the quality is exactly or nearly so the same)[/SIZE]

Nice.

I get it, but it just to me is hey Nevy puts on a great show, which he usually does, but only does that one show. Now a past nominee says I vote for Nevy and then he gets backed up by two other people, I have no problem with that if the other two people are people who were nominated this time or in the past, if your average Joe just comes along and says I second and gives his reason is that truly fair?

Maybe we can make a new Category, like best diary based off just a couple of shows, and then best diary based on how you think they did

So Nevy does one to two shows which are great but he didn't hit that 3 to 4 post, he would fall into that category and someone like iMac does the required post and we also believe they were good enough to be nominated then he would fall into the other category.

I mean this is just a suggestion but to me it is the only true way to separate the two

I think it should be:

3 and more shows: 1 nomination and 1 second(s).

2 shows: 1 nomination and 2 second(s).

1 show: 1 nomination and 3 second(s).

So you would NOT have a show limit, but that ^^

Like if you put only 1 show a month, you need to be nominated once and "seconded" three times.

Archived