XWA: American Wrestling Just Got Serious

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You still have time to put the belt on Griffith. :D

It says above Griffith won't be back actually Onu. Which is bad for me, because I picked him to lose every match he was in and that worked out well for me :). Can't wait for the new tour to start.

Yeah, I know that there are quite a few Griffith fans who will be disappointed by this news. But he's just not cutting the mustard. He's a main eventer due to his overness, but he can't pull the match ratings of the other main eventers so therefore won't ever hold the main belt. And he's too over to be a midcard champ. He's basically turned into a gatekeeper type. But even when he gets wins over lower-carders, he doesn't really get great ratings. Anyway, I needed some new blood for the upcoming King of the Ring show and I didn't want to add wrestlers with large wage demands without dropping a couple, so Griffith and The POB were the ones to go, I'm afraid.

you could always do something very un-Marcel and rush to Cult and see if you can't bankrupt the company just in time for the debut of TEW 10. It would be different, that's for sure. And fun.

That's very tempting! Actually I've nearly run the next tour already - I think I've just 2 shows left of it and I'm afraid I've not done anything as rash as rushing to Cult. Sorry to disappoint you, Beeker! Basically, I wanted to get the game played through to diary end and have a cut off point, but I want to use the next 3 weeks up to TEW 2010 continuing to play through this save a bit more but without the diary element. As you can imagine, this dynasty takes quite a bit of time to put together so I'm hoping to speed through towards Cult yet - you just won't see it in the diary, that's all.

Ok, as I alluded to in my last post, I'm going to have to speed up my posts. Each tour carries 27 website pages, and we've only got 24 days to TEW 2010 and even less to the demo. So expect to see some days with multiple posts and the prediction contests for this tour will probably be done a bit quicker too.

It says above Griffith won't be back actually Onu. Which is bad for me, because I picked him to lose every match he was in and that worked out well for me :). Can't wait for the new tour to start.

Damn, I missed that. I might have to start boycotting XWA events now.

10 predictions in so far from maskedpropaganda, MaxMoon, Tigerkinney, randomfreeze, Foolinc, Huntman, My Name Is Not..., Phantom Stranger, Sudo_Nym and Azz Martin.

As I said a couple of posts back, I'm going to have to rush through this tour somewhat as all the pages are done but there's not long to TEW 2010. So I'm giving everyone else about 12 more hours if you want to get any predictions in!

As I said a couple of posts back, I'm going to have to rush through this tour somewhat as all the pages are done but there's not long to TEW 2010. So I'm giving everyone else about 12 more hours if you want to get any predictions in!

Come on, keep the love going. Even if you transfer the diary, you'll lose all your chemistry notes. And transfering is a lot of work that would delay more shows being put up at the pace which I demand. And as a man who is making absolutely no contribution towards this diary, I think I deserve to have my demands met.

Americana! No! You let me down. I don't know why I've got such a man crush for Americana in this game...I hardly use him in any of mine. Amazing to see this going up so fast...between this, the other diaries I like, then all my comics and books I got for X-Mas I feel I'm never going to get my reading done :).

Aw. None of my comments appeared.

Still 5 outta 6 SCORE!

Sorry - just one of those things on the comments. I look through and pick 5 that just catch my eye. But many of the current predictors are leaving comments these days so it's tough sometimes to get yours in. Well done on the 5 out of 6 though. :)

Come on, keep the love going. Even if you transfer the diary, you'll lose all your chemistry notes. And transfering is a lot of work that would delay more shows being put up at the pace which I demand. And as a man who is making absolutely no contribution towards this diary, I think I deserve to have my demands met.

You've predicted the last couple of shows - that's a good contribution in my book! :p

As for the diary, it will definitely not be carried over to 2010. As with 2008, I'll likely hold off diaries for the first few months of the new game while I get chance to play it. Doing this diary does take a lot of time what with the pictures and presentation especially. So I'm going to enjoy just playing the new game for a while. If and when I start up a 2010 diary, it'll be a new project.

That said, I've played through this whole tour already and done the web pages for it, so I need to get them posted. I was a bit surprised by the early release date of 2010. I was reckoning on mid-February or thereabouts. So the shows will go up pretty fast for the next 2 weeks or so!

Americana! No! You let me down. I don't know why I've got such a man crush for Americana in this game...I hardly use him in any of mine. Amazing to see this going up so fast...between this, the other diaries I like, then all my comics and books I got for X-Mas I feel I'm never going to get my reading done :).

I don't know about your man crush either. But I'd never used Americana before this game and he's definitely a go-to guy for me. His overness country-wide means he's not really cracked the main event yet (something that I'll be interested to see the difference with in 2010). But his ratings and performances are really solid.

Anyway, I don't want to give you too much extra to read so I'll stop here! :D

Thanks for the bump, TK!

Great feedback this month with 19 predictions in already. Thanks to those who are putting in the effort, because I thought it might drop off as we get close to TEW 2010. These are the names so, if you're not on the list, you've not predicted! But there's still time. I reckon about another 12 hours before I close it and put up the FanZone.

Self, Phantom Stranger, Kovic, Dragonmack, Max Moon, Beeker, Sudo_Nym, Regis, BHK1978, Azz Martin, Tigerkinney, randomfreeze, Huntman, rayelek, Trell, My Name Is Not..., Foolinc, angeldelayette, 1PW Fan.

Anyway, I thought I'd address one or two comments from the prediction contest now. I've got around 10 or 11 comments per match plus a few things in the final feedback and there's no way I can include them all in the Fan Zone. So non-Kayfabe and out of character replies will come here....

Kash who?

:D I can understand this reaction as poor old Kash Elektrik hasn't really been since in the main shows since ... well, ever! However, he's a solid hand and has featured on the tour shows consistently. In fact, I'm often able to put him in the main or semi-main slots there because I know he'll go well against a top name.

This is the kind of situation which is tough in a diary - some wrestlers have a completely different overness perception in a diary towards in-game. I guess that's my fault as a writer as I should try to make their in-game overness clearer in the diary. But Elektrik and X actually have the same in-game overness in the Mid-West, which makes their bout quite competitive to the regular XWA fans that hit the War Memorial Auditorium.

Plus, as the diary reaches its close, there are one two guys who have been loyal soldiers in the XWA who I just wanted to feature a little stronger before it closes - and Kash is one of them.

I'm starting to suspect that Lover's title win was either due to promising him a run with the belt OR a booking mistake made by Marcel. I'd forgotten that Smith was on the roster. Heh.

Brandon Smith has been in the Power & Panache tag team all the way through (he's the Power) and they've always been there or thereabouts in the tag title reckoning after an early reign with the belts.

Lover's title win was neither a promise nor a mistake - it was purely 'storyline' purposes - yeah, storylines in XWA! I wanted Americana to drop the Arena belt at the end of the last tour. Lover had been down on his luck - out of the Trailblazer tournament in the first round and struggling to get a win since, which led to Americana challenging him to try and move up the rankings. But Lover got a victory and then beat Americana in the rematch. Lover though, has his eyes firmly fixed on the XWA Championship he once held and his now improved form allied to his arrogance means he's not really interested in the midcard belt. So he refused to defend it here. Therefore management strip him of the title.

Originally my plan was to have Lover defend the Arena belt here against Umaga. Citizen X and Kash Elektrik would have been in the King of the Ring match instead. But I was looking at match ratings as much as anything else. The tag bout is likely to get a good rating and therefore will open the show. The second match really needs to be a come-down match before the King of the Ring and the title match main event. If I'd had Lover vs Umaga in that spot, it might actually have been better than the King of the Ring match and the card might have been skewed. It was a lot easier in the past when I could rely on the tag team title match being the come-down match, but no longer!

Anyway, I went to Plan B - this way, two guys who have no chance in the King of the Ring (X and Elektrik) battle each other instead and I know it'll rate the worst on the show (and is, I think, the fist ever Bathroom Break clean sweep!). Champagne Lover and Umaga are both in the King of the Ring, which raises the profile of the match a bit, as certainly Lover is seen as a potential winner. And it gives me a bit of a chance to shake up the Arena title after the event leading up to X-plosion III, which I'm trying to put forward as our marquee event.

Oh, my mistake, I'm the one who commented about Champagne Lover and Smith - I know Smith is on the roster but he's just been lost in that tag team for me. It was Champagne's XWA Championship run (the one win but no defences) that I felt was either a booking screen error or that he was promised a main event run.

Oh, my mistake, I'm the one who commented about Champagne Lover and Smith - I know Smith is on the roster but he's just been lost in that tag team for me. It was Champagne's XWA Championship run (the one win but no defences) that I felt was either a booking screen error or that he was promised a main event run.

I can see what you mean about Bulldozer. I just made the decision that he'd be a tag guy early on the diary as I had quite a lot of talent and I tend to put the younger ones in teams. He'd definitely be moving into the singles ranks eventually but it won't be during this diary! :D

Ah, I see which reign you meant about Lover. No, it wasn't a booking screen error. At the time Deeley was focused almost solely on Steve DeColt and had a bit of an unbeatable aura about him. So I had him lose to Lover to show what can happen if you take someone lightly or take your eye off the game for a second. At the time, Lover was only an upper midcard guy in the promotion so it wasn't planned to give him a long reign with the belt at the time. He was just a useful guy to use in that role - especially as I figured he'd be bitter about it in the future given his character.

Archived