All children, except one, grow up.

Jeez, you barely update this more than me, this was an easy one to catch up with inbetween reads of Prequel to DOWCW.

Loving it. You do this better than anyone, you have this brilliant, unique idea of focusing on the backstage stuff, and as such it seems less like a dynasty and more like a novel or story. And it's brillaint. It's well written, logical, everything that happens makes sense and the characters seem true to life. Love it. Top notch stuff. As always.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I'll be honest, it's not what I had hoped for obviously, but it made a lot of sense. The way you protray Vince is perfect, and like I said the Hitman piece was very realistic, not what I was hoping for but realistic lol

I went back and forth on this one. I had Bret coming out and shooting on everyone, then I had Bret come out and say that tonight wasnt about him, it was about the memory of Owen. It was just impossible to write and keep it plausible. So maybe it was a bit of a cop out to have him say nothing and I can understand if people didn't like it that way, but I felt it was the most interesting option and leaves a lot of things open for the future.

Jeez, you barely update this more than me, this was an easy one to catch up with inbetween reads of Prequel to DOWCW.

Loving it. You do this better than anyone, you have this brilliant, unique idea of focusing on the backstage stuff, and as such it seems less like a dynasty and more like a novel or story. And it's brillaint. It's well written, logical, everything that happens makes sense and the characters seem true to life. Love it. Top notch stuff. As always.

Hehe yeah I kinda went AWOL around the same time as you and only very recently came back..just like you. Come to think of it, I've never seen me and you in the same room together....coincidence?

Thankyou for all the compliments. Its always great to hear good things from someone as talented as yourself. Im glad people think that all the events are logical and make sense because Its a hard balance to acheive between realism and entertainment.

Whoa you got me pretty heavily hooked again.. Good job

Glad people are still prepared to read this after such a long time away!

Next post should hopefully be up soon guys. Thanks again!

The Kid settled down in his hotel room for the night to watch ECW which they’d taped the night before. Tommy Dreamer was already in the ring challenging Christian to an ECW title match at Judgement Day when his phone rang. It was a call he was expecting, but not one he was anticipating.

“Hey Bret, I was gonna call you but I thought you might need a bit of time to yourself.”

He heard Bret sigh down the phone

“Look, I’m sorry about last night Kid, I don’t know what happened out there.”

“No need to apologise Hitman. You probably created more buzz around the place by not saying anything than any words ever could….You OK?”

“Yeah I’m OK. Maybe some things are better left unsaid eh?”

“I’ll drink to that.”

The Kid was listening to Bret, but his eyes were still on the small TV screen. Finlay, Khozlov and Burchill had individually made their way to the ring to contest Dreamer’s position as number one contender. Finally, Tiffany interjected to restore some order to proceedings. She made a fatal four way match for later that night with the winner receiving a title shot.

“I take it you still got a job?”

“Yeah just about. You watching ECW?”

“Kinda, I like to keep an eye on Tyson, he got a match tonight? “

“Yeah, he’s got Christian; you wanna know how it goes?”

“Nah, it doesn’t matter. Seems like victories are drawn out of a hat these days anyway.”

The Kid watched on as Zack Ryder made his way to the ring and cut a promo on DJ Gabriel before their match.

“Yeah, a lot changed since you were tearing it up huh? Still, sometimes it feels like nothings changed at all.”

“How d’ya mean?”

“Well, you got Orton, Rhodes and Dibiase running Raw, Bulldogs Kid, Neidharts Kid, you see that guy Dolph Ziggler? He’s the spitting image of Curt. John Morrison’s like Shawn Michaels on Speed.”

Bret cut him off.

“Ha! Shawn was on speed for most of the nineties!”

“Alright, Shawn Michaels on speed…on speed. Hell, we got Steamboat, Arn, Malenko, Dibiase Snr. And Michael Hayes running around backstage. In fact, the only things that missing is a Hart!”

Bret went quiet as Ryder got the quick 1,2,3 on Gabriel. Eventually, Bret talked in a more serious tone.

“I’m sorry Kid but there’s no way I’m going back out there. You can forget it.”

“Bret, I’m not talking about going in front of the cameras, I’m talking about staying behind them.”

“You want me to be a road agent?”

“I was thinking more like a booker. The bottom line, Bret, is that I need somebody by my side that I can trust, and I can’t think of anybody better than you.”

Bret was silent again so The Kid did his best to persuade him.

“Think about it Bret. You’ve still got so much to give to this industry. You belong in this industry, and it’s been too long since you were involved in it.”

“And what makes you think I want to be involved? What if I don’t want to give anything back?”

“Don’t fool yourself Bret. You loved wrestling more than anybody I ever met. I know a lot of awful things have happened and I can’t make them go away. What I can do though is offer you a chance to make a difference.”

Bret thought it over for what seemed like forever to The Kid, waiting patiently for his next words.

“Kid… do you realise how screwed up my life is at the moment. My own family won’t even talk to me anymore because of this godforsaken business. I’ve lost everything I ever held dear because of Vince. In what world do you think we would ever work for the same company again?”

“You know what they say, never say never in wrestling!”

Tyson Kidd made his way to the ring to face Christian. The Kidd hoped the sight of the last ever student of the Hart Dungeon and his best friends daughter Natalya would put Bret in a more positive mood, but it seemed to have little if any effect.

“It’s not going to work Kid. I appreciate what you’re trying to do, but I don’t want any part of it anymore.”

Christian and Tyson locked up and proceeded to put on a solid crisp showcase of their talents. A match The Hitman would have been proud of. The Kid knew he had to change his tact.

“A match like this would never happen on Raw you know? I’m fighting a losing battle in that booking room! I want the talented guys to get as much exposure as they can, but it’s hard when you’re surrounded by six something, three hundred pound guys. I need someone to help me fight my corner. I want you to consider this.”

“No Kid.”

“Jees, don’t say no Bret! At least say you’ll think about it! Humour me a little!”

Christian and Tyson got a good ten minutes of the hour long show. Eventually, the ECW champion had just enough to polish off the young pretender with the un-prettier.

“I’d appreciate it if you didn’t call me again.”

Bret hung up the phone.

The kid watched the rest of ECW in silence. He was pissed off with Bret but didn’t want to push the issue. He saw Tommy Dreamer, a veteran and a true professional; win his chance to compete for the ECW title at Judgement day. A reward, perhaps, but a well deserved one. Here was a man who always did what the office asked of him, who never moaned when asked to put somebody over, and did things for the good of the business. And there he was getting the recognition he deserved.

“**** Bret Hart.” he said to nobody in particular.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived