Sacrifice = epic fail :(

alden

Ok so......i guess kaz came back last night and wow.......blown spot after blown spot and i honestly thought at one point he was hurt bad enough that the match was going to stop. On tv it came off like the crowd was not even watching that match. They just so did not care.

The main event was odd. Foley did not win the match but is still champion? I mean, yah, he did not get pinned you would figure the winner of a title match would win the title.

ALl in all a very bad ppv.

I would not say he has been back for a long while. Maybe two or three impacts.

As far as the world title match. Each person had to "sacrifice" something. Jarret put up his shares, angle put up his leadership in the main event mafia, sting would retire and foley his title. It was sting who pinned angle. But the entire title while building to the main event it was a "world title match". Not once did they said foley had to loose to loose his title. I guess if you really think about it people would figure it out.

As for kaz. There was a spot where he did a rolling spot on the ramp. He rolled through the move and did his figure to the head thing, took a step forward and falled flat on his face and layed motionless for several seconds.

The monsters ball was very bad in my opinion. It was all just a long angle to set up abyss turning on richards.

I usally love tna ppv's. that is where they shine, but in my opinion it was a huge let down.

ok, so not the strongest show, but still I liked it.

The main event seems to be one of your biggest gripes. but to be honest I thought it was a cool concept, a four way match were each person has something to lose only if they get pinned

-sting put his career on the line

-jarret his voting shares in the company

-angle his leader ship of the main event mafia

-foley his title

as a wrestler then it is not just about pinning some one to win but picking which spoil of victory you really want. It was a great way to let the fueds play out, protect foleys belt and give every man something to fight for in the match.

My grade for the match concept is a Solid A, and the match itself had it's high points, especially Angle flipping over the announce desk to land on foley taking a break at the announce table!

was also my first exposure to the British invasion, their manager looks like a guy to watch, and they did themselves proud as well!

Really think Daniels should have kept the title, been like no the 5 minutes was his rematch, not a restart of the match I just won...

the ref thing in the opening match was also crap (the ref kick basheres hands off the rope to give J-lethal the pin) hope they have a good story to go with that.

Well those are my impressions of the PPV.

Yeah, it was one of the worst PPV's this year. Hardly no logic in the match endings and atleast half of the finishes came by interference or cheating. I laughed hard when that ref bumped at the main event.

First of all, Daniels vs. Suicide. Horrible bad chemistry and stupid ending. Why just 5 minutes, why not a rematch. And why did the referee ask Suicide if he wants to have 5 more minutes? Hell, he just lost the title, of course he does! :mad:

The main event was stupid. I mean, what a way to devalue your World Heavyweight championship, a championship which is supposed to be THE thing in your promotion, the belt that everyone is after for. And yet it wasn't even on the line in the match, only in the way of having Foley pinned. It was a pointless, stupid match which just screwed over TNA's WHC title. I really don't care about MEM leadership.. Or Jarrett's kayfabe ownership rights or Sting career quite frankly. I just hope that with Joe's and AJ's wins over the MEM they could start a World championship chase and finally dethrown all the old veterans who shouldn't be in that ring in the first place.

from wiki

Reception

The show was given positive feedback from critics. Dave Meltzer, writer of the professional wrestling periodical, The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, would say multiple times in his pay-per-view report for the show that it, "overachieved", and he gave special attention to the "Team 3D Invitational Tag Team Tournament" finals and the "I quit" match. The only form of criticism he gave the show were some of the illogical booking tactics made by the company[4]. The Pro Wrestling Torch reporter, James Caldwell, reviewed the show, as well, giving it a generally good review, but also criticized the show in a number of spots, specifically the "I quit" match: "Best match of the PPV until the finish with Sharmell-Jenna continuing their feud on PPV TV. Keep it on free TV (if TNA is so adamant about continuing this), but don't put that dumb storyline on pay TV. As usual, TNA tries to find a way out of a stipulation. Sucks to rant on that, because the match was awesome and one of Booker's best performances in years."[5]

A common theme amongst the criticism was the "lack of common sense", as wrestling journalist, Ben Miller, put it.[6]. He made particular mention to the World title match, by saying, "...there was no reason for Jarrett, Angle or Foley to attempt to beat Sting. You can win a championship, control of the company, leadership of a powerful faction or… what? If you end Sting’s career do you become six-time WCW World Heavyweight Champion. There is, of course, the argument that by pinning Sting you eliminate a potential rival. I don’t think the crowd bought that argument. The heat was spotty during the match and the lack of a sensible reason for attacking Sting appeared to be a big part of it. TNA Sacrifice 2009 felt flat, but it shouldn’t have. Most everyone worked hard, some angles paid off and some angles left fans intrigued. Those three ingredients usually make for a good show. Instead, one-third of the matches had conceptual problems..."[6].

I find it interesting that despite everyone saying WTF booking? it got such positive feedback.

I haven't seen it, but a lot of what I have seen from other sources say that it was a decent show with the wrestlers doing everything they can to overcome stupid booking. It's TNA, so I'm not particularly shocked at that. If they simplified the booking they really could change everything, but the reports I've seen don't seem like it was a terrible show.

And out of interest, when is this "epic fail" phrase going to die out? Please say soon...

Ah, OK. I'm just amazed at how many people think back fondly of the Attitude era when in fact there was some atrocious booking.

Even now I watch some of the older events (WM Anthology, SummerSlam Anthology -- haven't gotten to RR yet) and I thought it was great that the storylines were at least somewhat logical given the cartoonish aspect of the characters.

TNA Sacrifice 2009 was a forgettable throwaway pay-per-view. TNA didn't even try to hide it as a number of mind-blowing creative decisions made this a no-brainer not to watch. There is absolutely no reason to watch this show unless you want to see what not to do. I'm not a wrestling creative writer, and never have been and I know it's easy to criticize when you're on the outside looking in. However, is it too much to ask to book thinks that make logical sense? Is logic too much to ask for? There were a couple of fun bouts but nothing that couldn't have main evented an episode of Impact.

From Richard Gray. But I must say the following Impact looks really good, just read spoilers. Three debuts/returns! :cool::p

I haven't seen it, but a lot of what I have seen from other sources say that it was a decent show with the wrestlers doing everything they can to overcome stupid booking. It's TNA, so I'm not particularly shocked at that. If they simplified the booking they really could change everything, but the reports I've seen don't seem like it was a terrible show.

And out of interest, when is this "epic fail" phrase going to die out? Please say soon...

That first paragraph is TNA's biggest problem in a nutshell. They have a very talented group of guys, and if they got their booking/writing in order, I'd tune in every week. Instead they overbook everything, and I haven't watched a complete episode of Impact in quite a long time.

I'm with you on epic fail also. I am SO tired of hearing people say that.

From Richard Gray. But I must say the following Impact looks really good, just read spoilers. Three debuts/returns! :cool::p

Just read the spoilers myself and I agree, Impact looks awesome for the next two weeks. Looks like they have the beginnings to some good stories as they always seem to have until it seems to train wreck at the end.

Archived