The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

I can see I need to really simplify things...

The Rock's return to action after eight years will have a special vibe to it. It'll feel like something special because it will be something special. Once he makes that big return, that vibe? It's gone and isn't coming back, even if he does stay out of the ring for four months before coming back for Wrestlemania. The point I am making is that I wouldn't take that from the Wrestlemania match just to artificially spike business for a few weeks when it's only going to return to normal very quickly because the real problems won't have been addressed.

Will Rock vs. Cena still be big? Yes, and I never said it wouldn't be. Will it still draw big? Yes, and I never said it wouldn't. What I am saying is that won't have is that Rock comeback vibe to it, which would have added something special and made it feel a little bit bigger.

Well let's attribute that comeback vibe to Survivor Series then. It'd be fun to instill some serious hype onto that PPV, it's needed some for years due to those cookie-cutter throw-it-in 5v5 matches with little relevance.

Rock vs. Cena at WrestleMania can be kept for something else. Maybe they're gonna crunch the feud up to that point, and make it personal, or.. just add another layer to it.

I can see I need to really simplify things...

The Rock's return to action after eight years will have a special vibe to it. It'll feel like something special because it will be something special. Once he makes that big return, that vibe? It's gone and isn't coming back, even if he does stay out of the ring for four months before coming back for Wrestlemania. The point I am making is that I wouldn't take that from the Wrestlemania match just to artificially spike business for a few weeks when it's only going to return to normal very quickly because the real problems won't have been addressed.

Will Rock vs. Cena still be big? Yes, and I never said it wouldn't be. Will it still draw big? Yes, and I never said it wouldn't. What I am saying is that won't have is that Rock comeback vibe to it, which would have added something special and made it feel a little bit bigger.

And I see I need to act condescending and simplify things for you:

I disagree. It's ok. Reasonable people can disagree.

Like I said earlier, I agree with Fantabulous here. Obviously, putting The Rock in a match at Survivor Series won't take buys away from WrestleMania, but that's really beside the point. For 6 months now, they've been building up the match by saying that it'll be the first time he'll wrestle in over 7 years. However, if he wrestles at Survivor Series, that allure is gone. Now it's just a big match between John Cena and The Rock, who will be in the ring for the first time in... 5 months. That's nowhere near as big as it would be otherwise.

Again, of course it won't take buys away from WrestleMania. It just seems to me like it's a cheap way to gain some extra Survivor Series buys, not to mention overall detracts from one of the things that makes their 'Mania match so special.

It will only be a cheap way if they hotshot the idea of him wrestling.

The way I see it is maybe HHH has a super heel stable and Rock is doing an appearance and gets attacked. He joins forces with Cena (and probably Punk) to take down the stable that beat him down.

Seems like it's perfectly logical if they do something like that

Sounds like an incredibly good opportunity to me, especially if The Rock becomes more active in the WWE from that time period onward.

I can see John and Dwayne in the ring, working together but at the same time, not trusting each other at all... I even see them losing this match because of that fact. They start looking at each other, ignoring their actual opponants, opponants take advantage of it and win.

Each PPV, something else happens, till finally they have the Battle of Battle's on the biggest stage of Wrestling, Wrestlemania!

I just don't see this as a bad thing at all.. I see it totally opposite "if" certain things happen. It could definately go a totally different route, and not the way I see it, and still be good... but I do understand that at any point something could happen to make it bad (Like The Rock getting a six month injury to ruin the whole thing, lol).

Like I said earlier, I agree with Fantabulous here. Obviously, putting The Rock in a match at Survivor Series won't take buys away from WrestleMania, but that's really beside the point. For 6 months now, they've been building up the match by saying that it'll be the first time he'll wrestle in over 7 years. However, if he wrestles at Survivor Series, that allure is gone. Now it's just a big match between John Cena and The Rock, who will be in the ring for the first time in... 5 months. That's nowhere near as big as it would be otherwise.

Again, of course it won't take buys away from WrestleMania. It just seems to me like it's a cheap way to gain some extra Survivor Series buys, not to mention overall detracts from one of the things that makes their 'Mania match so special.

This is the post of a man who gets it. :)

I will probably still have no interest in buying the Survivor Series event, even if The Rock is on the card so don't think everyone is going to buy it just to see The Rock, not everyone has the money to watch one guy wrestle maybe 5 minutes in total so I don't expect buyrates spike too much unless there is a solid card in total. Not all of us are going to eat up every ounce of BS from WWE and part with money we don't have just to see The Rock and Cena tag up. I would however pay to see The Rock kick Cenas ass.

I'd also like to see how this is going to pan out. Why Cena and Rock will be teaming, will the opposing team have some relevance or whether it'll just be "Rocks agreed to appear, chuck him into a match in the hopes of bigger buyrates with no rhyme or reason as to why" which lets face it, I wouldn't put past Creative. That definately would take the shine off a Rock return. And if that ends up being the case, you will see some of those people who have returned to watching WWE recently switch off again. Right now my interest has been peaked with some pretty good storylines going at the moment with CM Punk/HHH/Nash, Sin Cara & Sin Cara in "The Faceless Face-off" as well as the Cody Rhodes & Ted DiBiase stories being the ones that I'm enjoying, and why did I get back into WWE? Yes The Rocks return, and I know for a fact I'm not the only one who got back into it for that reason... I certainly didn't tune in to see "Mr Cheap Pop" John Cena and his... er... wait I'm not gonna turn this into a Cena bashing.

This is the post of a man who gets it. :)

The only problem I have with your guys reasoning is... well, I could care less about how long he's been out of the ring, and when he debuts back into a real match... Fact is, I care more about CM Punk right now then Cena or Rock, and I don't think I'm alone.

Do I want to see The Rock wrestler? Definately do... I want to see him back in the ring for a good while. Do I care when that happens? YES!! The sooner the better! Do I agree with Fleish? Yes!

The thing is, the match at Wrestlemania means nothing to me right now, because nothing "New" has really happened about it. Something "New" has to happen, or I won't care at all.

I will probably still have no interest in buying the Survivor Series event, even if The Rock is on the card so don't think everyone is going to buy it just to see The Rock, not everyone has the money to watch one guy wrestle maybe 5 minutes in total so I don't expect buyrates spike too much unless there is a solid card in total.

Rock boosted WM probably by a couple hundred thousand buys and he was just HOSTING the event. More people didn't buy it because it was WM, compared to last WM more people bought it just for the Rock (and Austin involvement)

I think you are underestimating his value here. Throw his return into SVS along with teaming with someone he is in a feud with seems like money to me.

I dunno, it's not even four months ago that people wanted Rock to wrestle at SummerSlam, against Miz or some other bright star. Or they whined at the beginning about waiting for a year and wanted Rock and Cena to actually face off at SummerSlam. I agree now their Mania match won't come across as that special. But is it that big of a detriment? it's gonna boost SS buys and people will still tune in at Mania for their showdown. If that's the small drawback they wanna do to complement both SS and Mania hype, then I'm all for it. There are still people on FB whining like babies that Rock isn't back full-time, so if anything it'll appease them too.

IMO it's much better than seeing them take shots at each other through social networking means, which was bright at the start but got into a lull real fast. They'll have to change it up somehow.

The only problem I have with your guys reasoning is... well, I could care less about how long he's been out of the ring, and when he debuts back into a real match... Fact is, I care more about CM Punk right now then Cena or Rock, and I don't think I'm alone.

I'm with you on that one. I honestly never liked The Rock anyway.

I really don't see what the big deal is, ffs.

It makes sense story-wise, because it would seem like if you're a wrestler that you would want to get in a warm-up match where four of the best got your back. It should also build up tension between Rock/Cena because you know something is going to happen that has them pissed off at each other in the end. It gives us a small preview of WM, adds to the feud, and gives these guys something to talk about for the 5 months going into WM.

Srsly, what the hell are these guys supposed to talk about if there's nothing in between now and WM?

Rock doing nothing until WM is the most boring scenario that I have ever heard, and it would not make me want to see WM more than if he had done something.

Chris Shore posted this in his Smackdown Hitlist on Prowrestling.net, but the part I bolded I feel really holds a lot of truth to it.

R-Truth's re-mix: Yes, R-Truth's re-mix of his stupid rap entrance. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to hear this ever week. I'm not even sure I want to hear it again. But this first time, with Miz's ass acting a fool in the background as Truth's heater, was the definition of a hit. I laughed until the match ended. Which, admittedly, made me want to cry, but that's not the point. Sometimes we get so serious about the product that we forget to be entertained. This was one of those times that just worked.

It makes me wonder why everyone has to analyze everything all the time. Why is it so hard to just sit back and relax and enjoy yourself?

How much of an allure is it if won't take buys away from WM at all?

The real allure is only that The Rock is wrestling, not that The Rock is wrestling for the first time in seven years or whatever. That's why his return at SS won't take away a single buy from WM.

How much of an allure is it if won't take buys away from WM at all?

The real allure is only that The Rock is wrestling, not that The Rock is wrestling for the first time in seven years or whatever. That's why his return at SS won't take away a single buy from WM.

Okay, let me give you a different example:

Brock Lesnar agrees to return to the WWE for a main event match at WrestleMania against The Undertaker. The match is announced months in advance. If Lesnar officially competed in a match at Survivor Series, wouldn't that take away some of the value of the match at WrestleMania? It's no longer Lesnar's return match, it's simply a match against The Undertaker, regardless of how big it is.

One of the major selling points of the match was that The Rock was returning to in-ring competition. Now that he's wrestling at Survivor Series, that is no longer the case. Will it cost them WM buys? Of course not. Will I buy it? Of course I will. But the fact is, I won't be nearly as excited as I would have been if it was his first match.

Okay, let me give you a different example:

Brock Lesnar agrees to return to the WWE for a main event match at WrestleMania against The Undertaker. The match is announced months in advance. If Lesnar officially competed in a match at Survivor Series, wouldn't that take away some of the value of the match at WrestleMania? It's no longer Lesnar's return match, it's simply a match against The Undertaker, regardless of how big it is.

One of the major selling points of the match was that The Rock was returning to in-ring competition. Now that he's wrestling at Survivor Series, that is no longer the case. Will it cost them WM buys? Of course not. Will I buy it? Of course I will. But the fact is, I won't be nearly as excited as I would have been if it was his first match.

You make complete sense but I fear you're talking to a brick wall on this one.

I think WWE should book Brodus Clay in the position that Mark Henry is currently filling. Whilst Mark Henry is doing a fine job, I would rather see someone who is fresh be given the ball to run with it. Brodus looks like a killer and has been pretty great on the microphone from what I have seen from his time in NXT.

I think WWE should book Brodus Clay in the position that Mark Henry is currently filling. Whilst Mark Henry is doing a fine job, I would rather see someone who is fresh be given the ball to run with it. Brodus looks like a killer and has been pretty great on the microphone from what I have seen from his time in NXT.

I have been high on Clay since he was Del Rio's bodyguard earlier this year. I think he could get really over as a heel and he has decent mic skills and charisma (which Zeke and Mason Ryan both lack).

His athleticism is top notch for someone of his size and he has a great moveset. I really hope they give him the ball because I can see him as the next big monster heel for another 5-10 years.

The way I see it is maybe HHH has a super heel stable and Rock is doing an appearance and gets attacked. He joins forces with Cena (and probably Punk) to take down the stable that beat him down.

My fantasy stables:

HHH, Miz, Ziggler, ADR, Truth

Cena, Punk, Rock, Jericho (or Riley if Jericho never returns), Morrrison.

As for the Rock: It's just another Mania match for me. I'm more interested in seeing them put someone like Miz, Ziggler, ADR etc. against the Undertaker. Who will Punk face? What will Bryan do with his briefcase? Will Sheamus be in a title match? I actually prefer the Rock coming back sooner to wrestle because he's not very relevant at this point. They're relying on his reputation and mainstream popularity. Fans who don't care about The Rock might need to be convinced he he's worth seeing in-ring at Mania. And any boost to PPVs between now and Mania is a good thing in my book.