The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

I think Cody has tons of potential too.

Just want to comment a bit on Moe's post. Moe, it doesn't matter that people were chanting, the main thing is that they were all over one person. "Let's go Cena, Cena Sucks!" It's not that I don't think you understand that, it's that I think you want to totally ignore it and make it out like he's getting "bad" heat, and people are switching the channel when he's on.

The problem with the whole post, in my eyes, is that we, right here in GDS, put segment ratings during most of that whole time period, that showed beyond a doubt that Cena is pulling in viewers better then everyone you mentioned, including Edge, Angle, etc. Not that I disagree with you as much as it sounds, I'm just throwing in a more objectional viewpoint here. Also, you left out the year long title run they gave to Punk, while at the same time throwing in how Cena had the main event. It's no different then ever before, this is WWE/WWF... not WWWF (with Vince Sr., which I give you was different). You bring up (not just you, more people have as well) Cena headlining even without the belt, but you leave out the fact that this has been going on for well.... almost 30 years in this promotion... Cena is just the latest and probably the longest in that group.

Now, as far as your opinions of Cena and how they handle the midcarders, etc. I can see your point, and I'm not debating you on that stuff, because if I differ at all, it's very small. There is only a handful of people that I actually differ in opinion about outside of the big names, and really, for the size of the roster, my difference in opinion is very small as opposed to my agreement. I just normally post my difference in opinion. For example, I think Jack Swagger has more potential then most do, as well as R-Truth, Kofi, and both of Rhodes Schollars. I don't think as much as people like Miz, Ziggler, and Zack Ryder. Out of them all, I pretty much feel Miz (as a heel) has the most potential. I think higher on a general basis of the older crew, people like Kane, Henry, Big Show. I just think that coming out ahead in any feud with one of them really helps out just about anyone, no matter where they are in the card.

I think I also feel higher about Punk then most. I don't know why I do, but I just feel like historically, when we look back 10 years from now, he's going to be the one that we think about... Even if he retired this year.

Just little things I disagree with most on, but it's small compared to the amount I do agree on, and I know I don't post my agreements as much, which maybe I should start doing.

Just curious if anyone who is a bit more "smarky" than me knows anything about backstage reps? I read somewhere recently that Samoa Joe is supposed to be a bit Diva-like and HHH has always had a rep for playing politics. But i'm curious if anyone else knows about the rep's of other stars. I'm really curious about that kind of stuff, but can't find any info. In particular, guys like CM Punk and Zack Ryder.

From what I've heard Punk is kind of a dick but more of the kind you have as friends and not as enemies.

Ryder I understand is very hardworking and considering how much Ziggler and The Miz put him over he's very well liked among the younger talent.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say a bad thing about Punk honestly. He is (obviously) very opinionated but a far cry from the stories I've read about some guys like Hardcore Holly or JBL in terms of just being difficult to deal with.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say a bad thing about Punk honestly. He is (obviously) very opinionated but a far cry from the stories I've read about some guys like Hardcore Holly or JBL in terms of just being difficult to deal with.

I'm not comparing his to any of those guys but from a few shoot interviews, Art of Wrestling and from the way I have seen him in the interviews where he talks about traveling with Kofi he looks to be dickish but a guy a lot of people consider him their best friend. The story Joey Matthews has about CM Punk is just an extreme act of friendship. The reason I don't believe CM Punk has the kind of rep someone like Orton or Cena has is that a majority of guys in the midcard are either friendly towards him or best friends.

I'm not comparing his to any of those guys but from a few shoot interviews, Art of Wrestling and from the way I have seen him in the interviews where he talks about traveling with Kofi he looks to be dickish but a guy a lot of people consider him their best friend. The story Joey Matthews has about CM Punk is just an extreme act of friendship. The reason I don't believe CM Punk has the kind of rep someone like Orton or Cena has is that a majority of guys in the midcard are either friendly towards him or best friends.

Punk can certainly be a dick, but he's kind of "old school" in that he seems to kind of love being a carny, hanging out with the boys and otherwise being social and friendly. Also, dating divas until he has gone through the entire roster. Compare that to say, Batista, who by all accounts was more private, aloof, and otherwise not exactly friendly, and it's not surprising he had more backstage incidents.

I've also heard via the Art of Wrestling that Orton is pretty well-liked, because he's the type of guy that will buy everybody's post-show meal if he's out with lower card guys. That might seem like common sense, but Petey Williams's (not surprising) story of Scott Steiner saying he owed him for dinner at Cracker Barrel shows that it's not always a given.

I was watching a recent smackdown match (Del Rio vs Ziggler) and it was Matthews, Cole and Maddox on commentary. I do like Brad Maddox but their commentary was dire. MC called a fame asser the zig-zag and they basically waffled all the way through what was possibly the strongest match on the card. Seriously it was like a clinic. I found myself really frustrated that the commentary was not at the same standard as the match. If you are going to waffle on and try and put yourself over on commentary do it when the great Khali is wrestling epico, don't ruin a segment with some actual talent in the ring...grrrr...I think the JR and King combination is actually great. JR has the ability to make a great match legendary and he's such a student of the game. JBL (who is improving) obviously knows his wrestling, but the big difference between him and JR is JR doesn't have to name drop, everyone knows he knows his stuff.

I have found King annoying on commentary in general for a very long time, and I am thankful that JBL came back. Before he came back there was no announcer to actually give credit to the heels instead of just putting them down in the way that babyfaces announcers usually do.

I like the 3 man booth with Cole/King/JBL because it allows Cole to play the neutral side. I really think Cole is underrated, he is more than passable as a lead announcer as long as he doesn't have to heel it up (due to the lack of it from his partner).

I like the 3 man booth with Cole/King/JBL because it allows Cole to play the neutral side. I really think Cole is underrated, he is more than passable as a lead announcer as long as he doesn't have to heel it up (due to the lack of it from his partner).

I agree with this. Cole got alot of heat (in a bad way) for his heel tactics, but he is actually a very good announcer.

Def glad JBL is commentating on some shows now between his charity climbs. I always thought he was one of the best color guys I've heard. He has the knowledge and he has the passion and conviction in his voice when he talks about things.

I disagree, I guess it's a matter of taste, but I think cole is underwhelming as both play by play and as a colour guy. When he was playing the heel character he was just irritating and as an announcer he calls moves incorrectly, lacks charisma, doesn't keep up with the action and doesn't have a great rapport with the rest of the team. I know i'm down on the guy a bit, but honestly I preferred him in Matt Striker's role - although Striker does that very well.

I agree with the JBL comment though. He does come across as someone with a lot of love for wrestling, but as an Englishman it really irritates me when he tries to impress people with his "knowledge" of England. Honestly, he's been on tour here, right? :)

I've never rated Michael Cole, and to be honest I think Matt Striker could do a better job. That's not to say I hate Cole, he is tolerable in small doses. Problem is, I grew up in the era of cheese-fest commentary with the likes of Vince McMahon, Bobby Heenan, Jesse Ventura, Roddy Piper and Randy Savage - which I loved back then - but I was young! Nowadays though I actually prefer listening to play by play from Mike Tenay in TNA (although that Todd bloke and Taz get on my nerves). I'll also always be a HUGE Joey Styles fan (from his ECW days) - for me he is second only to Jim Ross when it comes to the best commentators I've heard.

The King & JR played off each other brilliantly in the early days when King was heel and JR was the face. It really worked. It continued to work for a time when King slowly began turning into a face but not for long. It soon became tedious. You either need 1 guy calling the action on his own, or if you're going to do the whole commentary team, you need someone who can put over the heels and play off the guy putting over the faces, it's just more entertaining.

As for JBL... he manages to stretch 30 minutes of one liners into a 2/3 hour show by constantly repeating himself or saying the same things from last week that nobody found funny or interesting back then. When he does call the action he is actually very good and knows what he's talking about but I think he needs to do a bit more calling and a little less repeating.

Anyway... ramblings over.

Ain't It Cool News interview with Ryback: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61833

IGN interview with AJ: http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/04/06/wwes-aj-lee-talks-wrestlemania-29-dolph-ziggler-big-e-langston-friend-zone-kaitlyn-comic-books-and-more

IGN interview with Ziggler: http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/04/06/wwes-dolph-ziggler-on-wrestlemania-29-big-e-langston-and-aj-lee-and-stand-up-comedy

Rhodes Scholars taking the mickey out of Tons of Funk on SD was funny. I think most of the WM undercard matches will be fun.

Anyone hoping Jim Ross commentates at least one match this year? He has the ability to make matches seem better than they are. I'm really hoping he gets to call Punk and Undertaker, but I'd be okay with him calling any match honestly.

*Edit*

Also, Daniel Bryan is awesome...

http://youtu.be/v96d9NLMaFs

Bryan is definitely awesome! It's hard to believe he wasn't trained in the Wrestling Entertainment system because he's a natural. Anyone else want a Punk/Bryan announce team in the future?

Predictions for WM29:

Wade Barrett vs. The Miz

Tons of Funk (Clay and Tensai) and The Funkadactyls (Cameron and Naomi) vs. Team Rhodes Scholars (Cody Rhodes and Damien Sandow) and The Bella Twins (Brie and Nikki Bella)

Chris Jericho vs. Fandango

Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H

It's HHH, he's going to win

Team Hell No (Kane and Daniel Bryan) vs. Dolph Ziggler and Big E Langston (with AJ Lee)

I'm predicting a swerve by Bryan

Ryback vs Mark Henry

Sheamus, Orton and Big Show vs. The Shield (Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins)

The Undertaker vs. CM Punk

Alberto Del Rio vs. Jack Swagger

The Rock vs. John Cena

Of course Cesuck is going to win.

I won't be watching the show live this year (for the first time in almost 10 years) as the build just hasn't worked for me. But I do always love making predictions and mixing them with my hopes, which never works out when I guess the WWE. :p

WWE Championship Match: The Rock © vs. John Cena

No Holds Barred Match If Triple H loses, he must retire: Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar

WWE World Heavyweight Championship Match: Alberto Del Rio © vs. Jack Swagger

Randy Orton, Sheamus and Big Show vs. The Shield

Ryback vs. Mark Henry

WWE Tag Team Championships Match: Team Hell No (c's) vs. Dolph Ziggler and Big E Langston

Brodus Clay, Tensai and The Funkadactyls vs. Team Rhodes Scholars and The Bella Twins

YouTube Pre-show: WWE Intercontinental Championship Match: Wade Barrett © vs. The Miz

ALSO: I predict Ziggler to cash in MITB on Del Rio to win the title there.

I'm surprised that AJ vs Kaitlin hasn't been added for the women's title, as I actually think that the WWE is finally going to give Ziggler and co a run at the top by suddenly gathering a LOT of gold to them. D-Bryan and Kane losing the tag belts to them can set up for singles and tag team rivalries, while Kaitlyn and AJ could clash there too. Kaitlyn could be a fun addition to the dysfunctional group since she's never liked Daniel Bryan and that could lead to some fun storylines in future as the six of them bounce off each other. :)

I would LOVE for Punk to beat Undertaker but I hate the storyline so much that I just don't care. Months ago when the match was being batted around as a possibility I thought it would be awesome. Before Paul Bearer died, punk cut a promo about being the best wrestler of the last 25 odd years thanks to this title run, it was the hype video for what should be an awesome rivalry... then Paul Bearer died, the storyline was rewritten and it's sucked terribly. The match will surely be awesome, but the WWE managed to do the almost impossible and make me not care enough to stay up to watch it. :(

I don't see Cena or Triple H losing... with Rock off doing his thing, he has to lose. With Lesnar not full time, there's little point to him winning this one. Two big matches that should be fun, but feeling that the result is a lock makes me not care to stay up to watch it. Would love either one to lose, would love Cena to one day go heel, but even he admits that it would just be bad for business for him to do it so he never will.

Fandango? Does ANYONE care? Similar for the 8 person tag, it's almost a throwaway but at least the dude involved got to Wrestlemania. The girls... don't care. Miz on pre show? Really? Really? REALLY? :(

Then the two matches I'm actually most looking forward to, which scares me a bit. Ryback and Henry should be fun to watch as the two most powerful guys on the roster (maybe) battle for dominance. I'm picking Henry to win solely because I want that to continue, they could have a fun rivalry and they're going to manage something impressive. Just hope it delivers the goods, though I expect most people expect it to be kinda dull.

And the Shield vs Orton/Show/Sheamus. I've loved all of the Shield matches so far and I don't see this being much different. Looking forward to seeing this one but with so little in the way of consequences, I don't feel that I HAVE to see it. I want Shield to win, but I'll be happy as long as the match is given the time it deserves. :)

All in all, I'm not expecting any bad matches out of this show, I'm just ambivalent on the storylines. Hopefully everyone watching live gets their money's worth, there is a lot of talent there and it deserves to be rewarded. Maybe Daniel Bryan will get his first real Wrestlemania match too. :p

And the Shield vs Orton/Show/Sheamus. I've loved all of the Shield matches so far and I don't see this being much different. Looking forward to seeing this one but with so little in the way of consequences, I don't feel that I HAVE to see it. I want Shield to win, but I'll be happy as long as the match is given the time it deserves. :)

I'd like to see that match. :D

Maybe Daniel Bryan will get his first real Wrestlemania match too.

I don't count the 17 second match as one.

WWE Championship: The Rock vs. John Cena (Rock to hold off on his rematch until later in the year)

The Undertaker vs. CM Punk (As much as I'd love Punk to win)

Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H (Makes more sense for Lesnar to win but I'm sure HHH will want to retire at WM30 instead)

The Shield vs. Big Show, Randy Orton and Sheamus (Orton or Show with the assist. Super Friends to get revenge at Extreme Rules.)

World Heavyweight Championship: Alberto Del Rio vs. Jack Swagger (ADR needs to keep the title a little longer.)

Ryback vs. Mark Henry (I'd prefer Henry to win. Should be a rematch at Extreme Rules unless the match is an epic fail.)

Chris Jericho vs. Fandango (Unless Jericho is leaving again soon in which case Fandango wins.)

Tag Team Championship: Hell No vs. Zig-E & AJ

Tons of Funk vs Rhodes Scholars (Only so Zig-E have a babyface team to feud with.)

Intercontinental Championship: Miz vs. Barrett

WWE Championship: The Rock vs. John Cena (Rock to hold off on his rematch until later in the year)

Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H (Makes more sense for Lesnar to win but I'm sure HHH will want to retire at WM30 instead)

The Shield vs. Big Show, Randy Orton and Sheamus (Orton or Show with the assist. Super Friends to get revenge at Extreme Rules.)

World Heavyweight Championship: Alberto Del Rio vs. Jack Swagger (ADR needs to keep the title a little longer.)

Ryback vs. Mark Henry (I'd prefer Henry to win. Should be a rematch at Extreme Rules unless the match is an epic fail.)

Chris Jericho vs. Fandango (Unless Jericho is leaving again soon in which case Fandango wins.)

Tons of Funk vs Rhodes Scholars (Only so Zig-E have a babyface team to feud with.)

all of my predictions are exactly this and Dolph Ziggler will cash in

Highly doubt Haitch will retire so soon considering that he is running the company now and is still a huge name, though I did enjoy the product much more those few months he was the on screen GM in 2011.

This are also my predictions.

I wanna play :)

The Undertaker vs. CM Punk - I love CM Punk but can't see much logic in him ending the streak, the people that would hate him for ending it already hate him and the guys that chear him regardless of his disposition would continue cheering him.

Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H The game looks in good shape and I think they will try and get a new contract out of Lesnar. So I don't think the feud will end here. I'm hoping HHH has a year or two more of in-ring stuff left in the tank because he really is that damn good. :)

The Shield vs. Big Show, Randy Orton and Sheamus - If a turn happens then the shield win, if Big Show remains tweener-y and the other two stay face then I can't see the shield going over them. The shield need to win this, in fact they need to win everything, 'cos they are cool.

World Heavyweight Championship: Alberto Del Rio vs. Jack Swagger - Swagger seems to have lost all kinds of momentum and frankly he's boring. I'm not really sure why they put him in what I would say is "ziggler's spot" but Ziggy has been really badly booked post-rumble and despite a big push for Swagger he has just proved that at best he's an upper midcard worker that desperately needs to stick with a mouthpiece. I'm really hoping for a Ziggler cash in (and maybe a face turn) but I don't mind too much as ADR has been solid since his turn. A much better champ then big show.

Ryback vs. Mark Henry - secretly I hope that they botch a superplex and are injured to the point where they can never wrestler again, I kid (and that's a horrible thing to say) but i'm probably going to use this match to get snack/beverages. I hate watching two big men go at it. I really dislike Ryback he's a total one trick pony, his mic work is dire and his catch phrase is irritating and Mark Henry has been doing the same schtick for decades and he makes me sleepy, he's part of the reason I tape smackdown (so I can fast forward when he's on.) Man i'm being harsh today!

Chris Jericho vs. Fandango - I'm sensing i'm totally in a minority here, but I love Fandango. I think the gimmick is really cool and he plays arrogant, angry jerk to a tee. Jericho is one of my faves of all time and could put on a solid match with Khali if he needed to and this match has potential to steal the show imho

Tag Team Championship: Hell No vs. Zig-E & AJ - Really can't call this, there hasn't been much build but in many ways this is one of the most intriguing matches for me (and not just because it has 3 of my faves in it) It will be interesting to see how Big E handles the step-up, he looked pretty solid in NXT. But I find this interesting because Kane and Bryan are still volatile, AJ is a massive x-factor having dated 75% of the competitors. Everyone knows that the belts have to come of team heel no soon, but Dolph Ziggler is likely to become world champ soon. So how does it go down? Loads of possible permutations, it will probably just end with a team hell no win, I reckon AJ's distraction will not quite pan out and her guys will lose.

Tons of Funk vs Rhodes Scholars This will be a bit of comic relief, which is almost a shame as Cody and Damien deserve a bit better, they have had a terrific year and been in some great matches. Tons of funk will likely win so they can have a good ol' fashion dance and make the kids smile.

Intercontinental Championship: Miz vs. Barrett They surely can't have one of the companies top belts change hands on the pre-show, can they? I want to see them do more with barrett next year. I usually hate "big guys" but he's grown on me massively.

The Rock Vs John Cena: I thought this was a done deal, but I read on a gossip site that the rock is scheduled to be at the next PPV. I read an article on bleacher report that suggested John Laurinitis will be involved somehow in this match and I think they are spot on. I'd love to see a Cena heel turn...love it...or a Rock turn...I really don't care, but a second face Vs face match doesn't excite me at all. At least with a chance that the rock may win thrown into the equation the bout might be a bit less predictable.

There are my predictions, looking forward to it last PPV I was on the money for most of the bouts, but this PPV is a little less predictable.

WWE Championship: The Rock vs. John Cena

Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H

The Shield vs. Big Show, Randy Orton and Sheamus

World Heavyweight Championship: Alberto Del Rio vs. Jack Swagger

Ryback vs. Mark Henry

Tons of Funk vs Rhodes Scholars

I think a Ziggler cash-in is a strong possibility but isn't a guarantee.

I like Fandango. I want to hate him but I just can't. He's pretty intense despite is terribly corny gimmick. Have loved his cowardly attacks on Jericho.

Expecting on Orton heel turn, or, the start of it.

The Streak won't end, especially as Punk is taking time off after 'Mania (apparantely?) If he was to end it, he'd need to stick around to gloat about it.

I'd like to see Cena totally lose it against The Rock, get DQ'd and complete a heel turn. Doubt this will happen, though.

Definitely have a feeling this is going to be almost as big, if not bigger then last years Wrestlemania. I wish I was more into it.

Maybe a little prediction might help me.

Pre-show:

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match:

Wade Barrett © vs. The Miz

I really think Wade should win this, but I don't want him restricted to defending that title after Wrestlemania... I'm split though, because him and Cesaro are IMO, adding some much needed respect for their respective titles.

WWE Championship Match:

The Rock © vs. John Cena

I think this feud continues, with each at a win. I honestly think The Rock is going to be with WWE for a few more years, off/on again or whatever you want to call it, I just don't see this feud ending, and I'm not sure that Cena's actually going to get a "torch" passed by the end of it. I'm thinking maybe The Rock and creative have someone else for him to do that with, because honestly... I don't really think Cena needs it.... maybe they don't either.

Mind Games:

This will be the first time the person on the winning side of games played, will win if I guess this correctly. I'm so split on this one because I don't want Undertaker to lose, but I can't think of anyone else I could stomach him losing to.

No Holds Barred Match If Triple H loses, he must retire:

Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar

Don't see the King Of Kings losing again. It's time for HHH to win. Unless we are going to get him as a GM or something, I don't want him retiring just yet.

WWE World Heavyweight Championship Match:

Alberto Del Rio © vs. Jack Swagger

I totally disagree with Panix about Swagger. I feel like his momentum is nuts right now. The crowd is totally involved in this one... My feeling is that Alberto Del Rio is the weak link in this feud, I'm just not feeling him at all. Also, if Ziggler cash's in on this match, it's his chance to turn face which I've been thinking might actually unleash him into a more comfortable role.

Six Man Tag Match:

Randy Orton, Sheamus and Big Show vs. The Shield

Orton and company are going to mess it up, The Shield will take advantage, The Shield keeps going strong after Wrestlemania.

Worlds Strongest Match:

Ryback vs. Mark Henry

Time for Ryback to move to the world title's (As I feel about Wade). Of course, that doesn't mean Henry is out of the picture, I can see this feud picking up steam after Wrestlemania, no matter who wins.

WWE Tag Team Championships Match:

Team Hell No (c's) vs. Dolph Ziggler and Big E Langston

This is what I'd do... It's time for Kane and Bryan to move on, although I don't see them splitting up after this, I see a feud to last a PPV or two after Wrestlemania, but.... I wouldn't put it past the WWE to give Ziggler multiple titles just about now, to see if he can get over one last time. I personally think it will only happen if he turns face, but I've been wrong many times before. Personally, don't think Ziggler is main event material, and should be relegated to "Family Fun" type stuff.

Fan-Jericho:

Jericho always the Vet putting over new talent, and I feel he's going to do his best to make Fandango a star here... Not sure how I feel about the Fandango character yet, but seems to be one of the fastest characters I've ever seen the crowd respond to. I know he can go in the ring, but I just don't know what kind of longevity a character like that will have.

Funkadactyls Highlighted match:

Brodus Clay, Tensai and The Funkadactyls vs. Team Rhodes Scholars and The Bella Twins

It's no secret I'm a fan of Rhodes Scholars, I think both have huge amounts of potential. I'm not the biggest fan of Brodus Clay or Tensai, especially the new Tons of Funk gimmick, but.... I want the bigger story here to be about the Funkadactyls, and getting them in the Divas title picture, getting interest in the Diva's division period...

All four of the male participants in this are capable of entertaining the crowd, and I'm in agreement that this is just going to be a feel good match for people.

Antonio win's if he gets on the show...