The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>No point if true. They will be Neville'd and Rey'd, not allowed to wrestle until their contracts run out. Vince knows they'll sign with AEW if he lets them go.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Worked out well for Neville...</p><p> </p><p> Either way, they'd be better elsewhere at this point.</p><p> </p><p> Watched the Nigel special on the Network. Very enjoyable.</p>

<p><a href="https://deadspin.com/wwe-is-sexing-up-its-programming-again-but-at-what-cos-1831877079" rel="external nofollow">https://deadspin.com/wwe-is-sexing-up-its-programming-again-but-at-what-cos-1831877079</a></p><p> </p><p>

Aren't they overreacting a bit? Two segments, really? These SJW people are forgetting that their outcries and articles are part of the reason why these videos are getting those hit numbers, as they embed them on the site. Are they stupid?</p><p> </p><p>

Plus, everybody knows what clickbait is. Change the thumbnail and you get way less views. It's not unlogical for WWE to use talent the way they work. Luckily they can now decide on multiple ways to promote them. Not a big fan of this way, but people shouldn't oppose it like this.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blackman" data-cite="Blackman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><a href="https://deadspin.com/wwe-is-sexing-up-its-programming-again-but-at-what-cos-1831877079" rel="external nofollow">https://deadspin.com/wwe-is-sexing-up-its-programming-again-but-at-what-cos-1831877079</a><p> </p><p> Aren't they overreacting a bit? Two segments, really? These SJW people are forgetting that their outcries and articles are part of the reason why these videos are getting those hit numbers, as they embed them on the site. Are they stupid?</p><p> </p><p> Plus, everybody knows what clickbait is. Change the thumbnail and you get way less views. It's not unlogical for WWE to use talent the way they work. Luckily they can now decide on multiple ways to promote them. Not a big fan of this way, but people shouldn't oppose it like this.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The Alexa segment did big numbers on Youtube and she was more covered up than when she's in her wrestling gear LOL so well played WWE.</p><p> </p><p> The Mandy thing is a heel trying to use her attractiveness to play mind games with a babyface so it doesn't really count. And again she was showing less skin than in her ring gear. I don't think it's any worse than a heel wrestler using violence to intimidate babyfaces.</p><p> </p><p> Remember when Enzo legit tried to get with Lana (even though he was a babyface and Rusev and Lana were heels)? Didn't hear any outrage over that and it was terrible. To be fair Otis creeping on Alexa was almost as bad and a stupid way to introduce Heavy Machinery.</p>

<p><span style="text-decoration:underline;">NXT UK</span></p><p> </p><p>

Devlin vs Banks was worth the wait.</p><p> </p><p>

<span style="text-decoration:underline;">NXT</span></p><p> </p><p>

- Dream vs Fish was good. I could see Gargano winning the NA title and feuding with Dream.</p><p>

- Lorcan & Burch vs Aichner & Barthel was good.</p><p>

- Io and Kairi tagging together makes me happy. I wonder how long before we get an NXT Women's Tag Title? They have plenty of women who haven't debuted yet so possibly later in the year.</p><p>

- Decent promo from Ricochet. Ciampa helping Gargano again was cool. Anything that advances their story but keeps them from wrestling again is welcome.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Watching NXT, saw Humberto vs Gargano. Really enjoyed Humberto</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Humberto also had a good match against Gran Metalik on 205 Live. I hope they sign his cousin Garza Jr.</p>

<p>Takeover was great.</p><p> </p><p>

Tag title match was great</p><p> </p><p>

Riddle vs Ohno was mostly forgettable.</p><p> </p><p>

Gargano vs Ricochet I expected to be a super indy spotfest and it was much more. Great match</p><p> </p><p>

Baszler vs Bianca was pretty solid, but they put them in the worst spot on the card. No way anyone could follow Gargano and Ricochet.</p><p> </p><p>

Ciampa and Aleister was great too, but Ciampa hit the Fairy Tale Ending too many times in my opinion.</p>

I agree that takeover was as usual a great show my only complaint is why did they have to waste so much time on the women’s match. I get that they want titles defended at takeover but if they’re going to insist on having Belair and Baszler in a singles match it shouldn’t be longer than 10 minutes. I’d much rather have seen the 3 horse women team up against Mia, Io, and Kairi especially given how thin the division is right now.

<p>Every year I get the Network just for the Rumble and Elimination Chamber PPV (Those are always my two favorite pay-per-views, not WM oddly enough.). I bought this morning and I thought NXT started at 8pm EST but I guess it started at 7pm.</p><p> </p><p>

I did not see the first two matches (I will probably go back and watch them tomorrow). However, what I did see was enjoyable.</p><p> </p><p>

I agree with <strong>guyver3</strong> the Women's match probably should have been shorter and it was good but it just did not stand out to me.</p><p> </p><p>

Johnny vs. Ricochet was excellent (from what I saw of it).</p><p> </p><p>

Ciampa and Aleister was enjoyable as well but as <strong>Jaysin</strong> said Ciampa did hit the Fairy Tale Ending too many times. But that is the way the modern day WWE is. Finishing moves and belts really do not matter because they have done so much to devalue them.</p>

<p><strong>Pre-Show</strong> - I don't mind Pat McCafee's schtick but I find his voice annoying. Kairi is so humble and you can tell how much she cares about pleasing her fans.</p><p>

<strong>War Raiders vs Undisputed Era ©</strong> - 2 of the best tag teams in the world put on a tag team clinic. **** <strong>3/4</strong></p><p>

<strong>Riddle vs Ohno</strong> - Good strong style match. The foot spots were clever and made me wince. Nice homage to Danielson vs McGuiness in the finish (minus all the blood). Riddle proved his selling is as strong as his offense. ****</p><p>

<strong>Gargano vs Ricochet ©</strong> - Masterclass in technical wrestling and storytelling. *****</p><p>

<strong>Bianca vs Shayna ©</strong> - Slow but solid match. This was Bianca's chance to prove she's not just an athletic spot monkey like Apollo but that she can tell a story and get people invested in her like Dream. Job well done. Shame it was the weakest match on the show. *** <strong>3/4</strong></p><p>

<strong>Black vs Ciampa ©</strong> - Great methodical slow-build match. I can't really fault the match (except maybe the finisher spam) but my attention was drifting too much early on, probably because these guys (and Gargano) hogged the main event for the better part of last year so it didn't feel fresh. **** <strong>3/4</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Verdict:</strong> Above average Takeover with a strong MOTY candidate. I liked that each match had a distinct style. Hopefully Takeover: New York will have an extra match on the card, preferably a Women's match or a debut.</p><p> </p><p>

Kairi winning awards on the Pre-Show:

</p><div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo"><div><iframe width="200" height="113" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/3Jqkn7MJ4ck?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" title="Emotional Sane takes the NXT Overall Competitor of the Year Award: NXT TakeOver: Phoenix Pre-Show"></iframe></div></div><p>

Post-Takeover fight:

</p><div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo"><div><iframe width="200" height="113" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/d9o9jYIO4Dc?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" title="Huge brawl breaks out between NXT's elite Superstars after TakeOver: WWE Exclusive, Jan. 26, 2019"></iframe></div></div><p>

Bianca Post-Takeover Interview:

</p><div class="ipsEmbeddedOther">

<iframe data-embedid="1517c41932cd5352a989d78979bb2542" allowfullscreen="" data-embed-src="<___base_url___>/index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=embed&url=https://twitter.com/WWENXT/status/1089384462952030208"></iframe>

</div>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blackman" data-cite="Blackman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><a href="https://deadspin.com/wwe-is-sexing-up-its-programming-again-but-at-what-cos-1831877079" rel="external nofollow">https://deadspin.com/wwe-is-sexing-up-its-programming-again-but-at-what-cos-1831877079</a><p> </p><p> Aren't they overreacting a bit? Two segments, really? These SJW people are forgetting that their outcries and articles are part of the reason why these videos are getting those hit numbers, as they embed them on the site. Are they stupid?</p><p> </p><p> Plus, everybody knows what clickbait is. Change the thumbnail and you get way less views. It's not unlogical for WWE to use talent the way they work. Luckily they can now decide on multiple ways to promote them. Not a big fan of this way, but people shouldn't oppose it like this.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> A little late but I'm pretty sure a large percentage of those views are Indian fans.</p>

<p>Also loved the Rumble. Wow, what awesomeness, especially whoever booked the female matches, which were amazing all 3 of them. WWE did what was necessary and stepped up for the big PPV's.</p><p> </p><p>

Men's rumble was great too. Could've used another funny moment but whatever. Due to the quality of the event, it's even excusable that they crapped out on Bryan vs AJ. The thing I liked the least was perhaps Nia's addition (not even an official's approval, really? You can just enter at your leisure? That's quite idiotic booking), but they handled it ok in-ring and the fans seemed to love it so meh.</p><p> </p><p>

This might be the best Rumble PPV I've ever seen (including 2000). Would be hot for the product now until Mania, but too bad they put the TV shows behind a stall-wall, making it almost impossible to watch.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blackman" data-cite="Blackman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Also loved the Rumble. Wow, what awesomeness, especially whoever booked the female matches, which were amazing all 3 of them. WWE did what was necessary and stepped up for the big PPV's.<p> </p><p> Men's rumble was great too. Could've used another funny moment but whatever. Due to the quality of the event, it's even excusable that they crapped out on Bryan vs AJ. The thing I liked the least was perhaps Nia's addition (not even an official's approval, really? You can just enter at your leisure? That's quite idiotic booking), but they handled it ok in-ring and the fans seemed to love it so meh.</p><p> </p><p> This might be the best Rumble PPV I've ever seen (including 2000). Would be hot for the product now until Mania, but too bad they put the TV shows behind a stall-wall, making it almost impossible to watch.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The women's matches were great. In a weekend stacked full of some pretty great matches, Asuka vs. Becky was definitely my favorite. Really solid match from start to finish.</p>

<p>Great matches - Becky vs Asuka ©, Sasha vs Ronda ©</p><p>

Good matches - Cruiserweights, both Rumble matches (purely based on entertainment value), Finn vs Brock ©</p><p>

Solid matches - Rusev vs Nakamura © (the result sucked), Styles vs Bryan © (good match but too slow-paced for its place on the card)</p><p>

OK matches - Miz & Shane vs The Bar ©</p><p> </p><p>

Overall it a good show but way too long and lacked the consistency of NXT Takeover.</p>

<p>Haven't been a huge fan of the main roster WWE product lately which prompted me to give up on both RAW and Smackdown but having said that Royal Rumble was very enjoyable albeit way too long. </p><p> </p><p>

Also I saw a bunch of people on twitter whining and crying claiming that "someone new should've won the rumbles' when both SETH and BECKY Have never won a rumble before. I legitimately don't understand most WWE fans. Give them something fresh and they still complain I just don't get it.</p>

Ronda getting booed on Raw was disappointing. I know everyone wants Becky to beat her at Mania (I certainly do) but Ronda has been consistently good and sometimes great in the ring. OK the first promo was bad but she handled the rough crowd well enough and the promo on Becky at the end was great. She even seemed to go off script with the "kill" line.