Testers: Is choosing the right OFF and DEF playbooks "that important"...

...or can I get away with choosing whatever I like? Does it make much of a difference if I chose a running style OFF playbook for what you would see as a passing OFF? That is, my OL are better at pass blocking, my WRs are more consistent than my RBs and my QB has good accuracy. If I was to choose to go with a running style OFF for a whole season, what difference does that make if the same season was played but with a passing type OFF? Are the stats going to be similar, different or what? And for DEF, if I had average D linemen and chose to go with a Blitz type DEF would I get more pressure (resulting in more sacks or QB pressures) then if I was to stick to a traditional 4 man rush? Does this reflect at the end of the season in stats? I'm interested in all of this as I want to know that I would be punished for not playing my strengths. I want to know that in an online league if I was to face an opponent whose strength was passing that he would not benefit from going to RUN type OFF after I've adjusted to attempt to stop the pass with a very good RUN DEF.

the playbooks are important to play to your teams strength, there is a small bonus for strength and penalty for playing to your weakness, the strength is blue ovals and red is weakness. The stats will reflect if you go against the obvious strengths and play to your weakness.

[QUOTE=Tim Plum]the playbooks are important to play to your teams strength, there is a small bonus for strength and penalty for playing to your weakness, the strength is blue ovals and red is weakness. The stats will reflect if you go against the obvious strengths and play to your weakness.[/QUOTE] I'm not able to test as I am at work and wont be able to actually play it for another day or so but can someone please test this out for me. Choose a team with an average DL and sim a season with standard 4-3 type DEF then sim again with same team but with a BLITZ happy DEF package. Please post final stats of DEF, thanks.

Actually, I think what you're asking SefOr is about the Off. and Def. Philosophy. Certainly, if you have a group of poor running backs or wide receivers, you will be penalized for making them the focal point of your offense. Likewise, if you have poor cover corners and stick them in man defense without getting a ton of pressure on the QB, you'll be picked apart. And if you only have 2 good LB's, playing a 3-4 is a bad idea. When selecting philosophy, you have to know what your team can and can't do. If you emphasize the can't, you won't be winning. As for your second post, there's a little bit of conflict with it. That goes back to my comment about the corners. Also, what are your players' blitz ratings (speed, point of attack, acceleration, etc)? That will make a huge difference in the stats that are generated. Maybe your back 4 can handle coverage or they can't. Adjusting what you do in one area will have serious effects on your team. This is one of the great things about this game. YOU REALLY HAVE TO KNOW YOUR WHOLE TEAM!

[QUOTE=smartman]Actually, I think what you're asking SefOr is about the Off. and Def. Philosophy. Certainly, if you have a group of poor running backs or wide receivers, you will be penalized for making them the focal point of your offense. Likewise, if you have poor cover corners and stick them in man defense without getting a ton of pressure on the QB, you'll be picked apart. And if you only have 2 good LB's, playing a 3-4 is a bad idea. When selecting philosophy, you have to know what your team can and can't do. If you emphasize the can't, you won't be winning. As for your second post, there's a little bit of conflict with it. That goes back to my comment about the corners. Also, what are your players' blitz ratings (speed, point of attack, acceleration, etc)? That will make a huge difference in the stats that are generated. Maybe your back 4 can handle coverage or they can't. Adjusting what you do in one area will have serious effects on your team. This is one of the great things about this game. YOU REALLY HAVE TO KNOW YOUR WHOLE TEAM![/QUOTE] Excellent post smartman.

[QUOTE=smartman]This is one of the great things about this game. YOU REALLY HAVE TO KNOW YOUR WHOLE TEAM![/QUOTE] Found this out and how. After changing team/conference names and basically browsing through the different screens I started my BYU Season. Went with the 3-3-5 as they run in RL, even though my secondary was not really skilled enough for this D (Same as BYU's IRL this year ;) ) The other problem was that my D-Line was not overly impressive either. To add to this combustible mixture my DC is horrible as well. The correct thing to do would have been to run a more conservative 4-3 scheme until I could recruit the athletes I needed for the secondary, but I decided to be stubborn and make up for lack of talent with my play calling genius. Sounded good in theory until my first game, when [B]IDAHO[/B], lit up my Defense for 43 points!!! Their QB threw for 314 yards and looked like friggin Matt Leinart, after the blowout I couldn't have been happier, I will actually have to work at reviving the program in this game. Yes, there are a few bugs(it is still a beta Demo after all)right now, but I am really happy with this game, you definitely have a sale here!

Archived