The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Stennick

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="moon_lit_tears" data-cite="moon_lit_tears" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25823" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I liked the movie a great deal, but for a kids movie it was kinda dark...I don't think I would have taken a kid to see it.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Personally, I believe children aren't given enough credit for how strong they are. You can take your story to some of the darkest places and as long as you remind the kids that there's always light at the end of the tunnel, they can handle it. Just look at Don Bluth's body of work. He made some very dark children's films like All Dogs go to Heaven and extremely heartwrenching ones like An American Tail. Yet for all their dark and depressing moments, these movies are classics. Not just because they didn't treat kids like idiots who can only handle funny animals and bright colors, but because they told stories that, for all the suffering the characters (and the audience) went through, ended happy.</p><p> </p><p> For a lot of kids, that's actually something they need to see. That the world can drag you down all it wants, but it won't break you.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Swanton825" data-cite="The Swanton825" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25823" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Personally, I believe children aren't given enough credit for how strong they are. You can take your story to some of the darkest places and as long as you remind the kids that there's always light at the end of the tunnel, they can handle it. Just look at Don Bluth's body of work. He made some very dark children's films like All Dogs go to Heaven and extremely heartwrenching ones like An American Tail. Yet for all their dark and depressing moments, these movies are classics. Not just because they didn't treat kids like idiots who can only handle funny animals and bright colors, but because they told stories that, for all the suffering the characters (and the audience) went through, ended happy.<p> </p><p> For a lot of kids, that's actually something they need to see. That the world can drag you down all it wants, but it won't break you.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> Very valid points I agree. I guess for me this one seemed to focus on the teen age growing up aspect of life, not so much on the younger time. I seen a lot of young teens but no one really under the age of 10 so I guess they hit their demographic.</p>

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been watching a lot of movies the last few days to cope with some rather negative junk in life and figured I'd try and stir up some discussions.

The first two were Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2. The first was enjoyable, but the second one was a treat. Gary Oldman as always is just wonderful. Lots of homages to classic movies that I just ate up. I almost never like Jack Black, but he was perfect for the voice of Po.

Another that I've watched recently was Ted 2. I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. Amanda Seyfried was her usual charmingly awkward self, and Marky Mark held up his end of the deal, but the writing and jokes were subpar compared to the original. Liam Neeson's cameo was downright fantastic.

I also watched the new Vacation movie with Ed Helms and Christina Applegate. I went in with an open mind, and it was better than I expected. I just hate that they rehashed so many jokes and incidents from the other movies. Plus, what the heck was with Chevy Chase in this? How on earth did they make him that bad?

Anyways. Last night I watched the movie Spy with Melissa McCarthy. I cannot stand her in the slightest, but I love Jude Law and Jason Statham. I had doubts about it, but it was great. I laughed almost the entire way through it and never got annoyed by McCarthy. It was a great tribute to James Bond and espionage films in general. Statham referencing his other movies was genius. The kitchen fight scene was great and I loved it even more when I found out it was a tribute to Jackie Chan. I highly recommend this one. I'll be adding it to my collection permanently rather soon.

Tonight I watched The Man From UNCLE. Armie Hammer and Henry Cavill played off each other so well and were insanely charismatic. The plot left a lot to be desired, but the cast and action made up for it. If you're into action or espionage flicks, I recommend it, but if they aren't your bag you probably won't appreciate it.

I saw lots of movies in 2015. Some good. Some bad. Most were ok. But there are really only three major film releases that I felt were original, noteworthy pieces of cinema that deserve to be remembered.

1) Mad Max: Fury Road - This is a movie that starts out fast with a ton of action, then draws you in to it's surprisingly deep plot that actually attempts to tackle real issues. It's an excellent piece of science fiction and it's very worthy of your time if you're tired of the same ol' action movie sequels.

2) The Revenant - Excellent film. Story is slow paced and it won't be for everyone. But if you DO see it, try to keep in mind that not a single backdrop or location shot was CGI. They shot all of that with natural lighting, in the elements. The result is a truly beautiful film on a grand scale and I don't know that those efforts will be recaptured.

3) Ex Machina - Smart film, asks a lot of good questions. Truly excellent sci-i the likes of which we don't get to experience on film these days. the stand out here is Alicia Vikanders performance. I felt she took motion capture acting to a new place. She had to convery serious emotions and draw them out of the viewer without outright telling us how shes feeling. It was some next level stuff. I really loved it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How do they explain Colossus being a different actor, design and nationality than in the X-Men movies? That detail bugs the hell out of me.

How do comic books explain how with a new writer and artist a character behaves and looks completely differently even though it's the same character you read just 30 days ago?

I just watched it and didn't worry about it. I guess, if you wanted a stretch explanation, you can say that since the ending of Days of Future Past we don't know how different the x-men characters are now.

They don't and if anything the way Fox has redone the X-men universe with days of future it makes sense that this colossus is different.

No, it really doesn't make sense even with that.

How do comic books explain how with a new writer and artist a character behaves and looks completely differently even though it's the same character you read just 30 days ago?

Usually, comic books doesn't alter the origin and nationality of a character just because there's a new writer/artist.

In the X-Men movies, he's American. Now, he's supposedly Russian? What the...? A changed timeline surely doesn't explain *that*. Not to mention that the ending of DoFP showed the Colossus we knew from the other movies alive and well.

I really hate Fox for refusing to adhere to the internal consistency set forth by their previous movies. They always do stuff like that.

No, it really doesn't make sense even with that.

Usually, comic books doesn't alter the origin and nationality of a character just because there's a new writer/artist.

In the X-Men movies, he's American. Now, he's supposedly Russian? What the...? A changed timeline surely doesn't explain *that*. Not to mention that the ending of DoFP showed the Colossus we knew from the other movies alive and well.

I really hate Fox for refusing to adhere to the internal consistency set forth by their previous movies. They always do stuff like that.

I'd much rather them change him to Russian since the character is meant to be Russian. :p

I'd much rather them change him to Russian since the character is meant to be Russian. :p

Yeah, but going like that they'd have to retcon a shitload of stuff they arbitrarily decided to change from the comics. Because there's more than I can count. Big ones, too.

But still, if they do change things around, I'd expect at least a half-arsed explanation for it...

Yeah, but going like that they'd have to retcon a shitload of stuff they arbitrarily decided to change from the comics. Because there's more than I can count. Big ones, too.

But still, if they do change things around, I'd expect at least a half-arsed explanation for it...

In that regard, how did Sabretooth go from a 7 foot feral monster to a little angry Jewish man that did crappy cat pounces?

:p

Saw Deadpool yesterday, loved it.

Also been watching all the Best Picture nominees like I did last year, still haven't seen The Martian or The Revenant yet. Incomplete list in terms of favorites:

1. Spotlight: Beautifully done from start to finish. Really deserves to win IMO.

2. The Big Short: Luckily I had a friend to watch this with who works in the financial district of NYC to explain the terms and stuff to me. Again, deserves to win in a non-Spotlight year.

3. Room: This one caught me by surprise a bit. Brie Larson was amazing. The second half dragged slightly, but overall it was powerful.

4. Mad Max: Fury Road: I saw this in theaters over the summer, not expecting it to be a Best Picture nominee, and it was really enjoyable. I kind of hope it wins just because it's totally not in the Oscar formula.

5. Brooklyn: It was a really good story and all, and I can see why people loved it (Saoirse Ronan was great), but it's just not my thing so I can't really rank it much higher.

6. Bridge of Spies: Not a huge Spielberg fan. Even less of a Tom Hanks fan. This was just another Tom Hanks historical biopic. There probably could've been a better movie to nominate than this one.

I plan on watching Revenant and Martian before the awards too, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

In that regard, how did Sabretooth go from a 7 foot feral monster to a little angry Jewish man that did crappy cat pounces?

:p

Easy enough: X-Men Origins: Wolverine has been taken out of the continuity and no longer counts. :p

But yes, that one is the worst effing continuity offender they ever served us...

• 8 months later...
Dusting this thread off because I went to see Dr. Strange today and really enjoyed it. I won't spoil anything but I liked how they had the Dr essentially out smart the villain. Also the setup for his next villain was a believable result of the events of the movie. While I would say Civil War was the better Marvel movie of the year that lies heavily on how much they drew on the last almost decade of movies for it unlike Dr. Strange who is just establishing his own story. Definitely a good addition to the MCU that feels fresh to me at least dealing with all the mystic elements.

While I would say Civil War was the better Marvel movie of the year that lies heavily on how much they drew on the last almost decade of movies for it unlike Dr. Strange who is just establishing his own story.

What I enjoyed most about the movie was probably the fact that it was allowed to stand alone and be unique, without all sorts of unnecessary cameos and cross-promoted storylines. I do enjoy that the shared component of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but sometimes I think they tend to overdo it - but not in Dr. Strange.