Welcome. You Know The Drill.

May 2010, week 3

Slow week. Not much to talk about. Gonna try to put on a decent show while using jobbers. The days are starting to blur togeth... no, wait, that's Avatar...

CZCW Onslaught #19

We open with CLM defending the Xtreme Title against his partner, Jeremiah Moose. And Moose shows CLM can't have a good match with just anybody. Next is Donnie J defeating Jake Idol, and Idol puts on a better match than the opener. Elemental does to Jackpot Jordan what Donnie J did to his tag team partner, and we continue to get decent matches out of our jobbers for a change. Riiight up until Jonnie Perez drags me down into a bad match. Well, hell with that, I'm staying away from jobbers for a long time. I'm a bit cheered up by Paranoia dragging Cougar down into the depths with me.

We try to salvage the night with the Tag Title match, The Shoot Club defending against Rayne Man and American Flash. In a surprising half-decent decent match, the champs retain. I'm thinking, Rayne Man plays musical partners for tag matches for a while. Finally, the main event: A triple threat ladder match for the Zone Title. Holmes, Sparrow, and Machine. Each pairing turns out good matches... so how can this fail? The answer: It doesn't. It's not as good as last week, but if you forget last week we'd have a contender for match of the Zone. Holmes retains... but damn if these three aren't on a roll.

(Show rating: C-, 1,000 tickets. Match of the night: Holmes/Sparrow/Machine. Trash of the night: Fox/Jonnie.)

On the next Welcome: Sparrow vs Machine for the #1 Contendership. Fox and Donnie need something to do in the meantime...

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 2010, week 4

Another slow week. I prepped myself for a nice, slow show, centered around Sparrow vs Machine for the rights to a rematch with Holmes. I also put off the 'Rayne Man plays musical tag partners' idea until next week. I was debating moving us out of the Snake Pit and into the Grissom, but I wasn't sure; Cliff had done projections on how many tickets we'd sell, but the margin was slim.. if he was off by a hundred, we'd be losing money. I decided to wait until we had more of a chance of nearly selling out.

CZCW Onslaught #20

A bit of a change-up, we open with the Zone Title on the line, with Bryan Holmes easily defeating Rayne Man in Holmes' worst match of his Zone career – which was still average for most of us. We follow that with several bouts of tag action; the Lords of Extreme defeat PnP in a typical PnP match (They seem able to drag anyone down), then a title match between the Shoot Club against American Elemental and Air Attack Weasel, with the challengers losing in a good match, then Donnie and me take on Rich & Famous and get a half-decent match out of them.

To wrap things up, we start with California Love Machine defeating American Flash in an Xtreme Title defense that was a dissapointment, and then the Sparrow/Machine match. That... was a decent match, but nowhere near what we hoped for, with Sparrow getting a quick rollup for the win. Next week, Holmes/Sparrow II.

(Show rating: D+, 1,000 tickets. Match of the Night: Shoot Club vs Elemental & Weasel. Trash of the Night: Lords of Extreme vs PnP.)

On the next Welcome: Holmes/Sparrow II. Will Matt be able to pull off the upset of his career?

This diary is so awesome, it's inspired me to start my own Zone game. Taking things a different way by making it integrated, though.

Ouch on losing so many of your top guys, but at least you'll always have Foxy. And great work on getting Holmes!

June 2010, week 1

A quick look into the post-Zone careers of our former main eventers: In SWF, James Prudence has a record of 1-10, including two losses in SWF North American Title matches and a win over Randy Bumfhole. Remmy Skye has had all of five matches, going 0-5. In TCW, Mikey James had four losses before winning his most recent match, against Matthew Keith. Frankie Perez has had perhaps the most success, going 2-7, with wins over Charlie Thatcher and Robert Oxford; one of his losses was to Eddie Peak for the International Title.

So, all in all... yeah, they're jobber-fodder now, but at least they're getting big paychecks.

CZCW Onslaught #21

Our opening match is the first in our “Rayne Man Musical Partners” series, as Rayne teams with Air Attack Weasel to face the Shoot Club for the tag titles, and fails. Snap Dragon tries to haul Jonnie Perez to a decent match, and fails. Next up, CLM defends the Xtreme Title against American Flash, and... well, it doesn't suck. That's the best thing I can say about it. Not that I do any better in my match with Jake Idol.

The main eventers, though, kicked it up a notch. Insane Machine fought Donnie J in one heck of a match, and then Bryan and Matt turned out a match every bit as good as their first one, which lead to a great ending where Matt touched the Zone title before being yanked off the ladder and Holmes climbing over him to retain his title.

(Show rating: C-, 1,000 tickets sold. Match of the night: Holmes/Sparrow. Trash of the night: Dragon/Perez.)

On the next Welcome: It's only a matter of time until Holmes/Machine II, but first: Holmes gives a title match to a name drawn at random.

June 2010, week 2

We had made an offer to Alex Braun, wanting to do a DAVE-type angle; but he'd turned us down. He wanted to stay on as head booker for PSW, which we hadn't noticed when we made the offer. Ah, well; a 48-year-old in the Zone?

Doesn't matter. We got someone else to sign up. This should be a fun ride. And we draw a name at random to face Holmes... and shake our head. Destiny, sometimes, cannot be denied...

CZCW Onslaught #22

I start off doing my best to put CLM over in an Xtreme Title match. It doesn't work out as well as I'd hoped, but it's... something. Up next, Rayne Man's next musical partner: Snap Dragon. And even though they lose, I feel shamed that Rayne Man was in a better match than I was. After that, Donnie J defeated American Flash, and I think they held back on purpose not to make me look bad. After that, American Elemental and Paranoia provided our bathroom break in a short match that Elemental won.

After that, we brought out Matt Sparrow, demanding another title match, when he's interrupted. The 'DAVE' chant starts up again as Art Reed comes out and demands the bell be rung. Thirteen minutes later, Sparrow is tapping out and another name from the past has come to the Zone. It's not the super match we were hoping for, but still decent. The crowd is burned out from the bathroom break. Then comes Holmes vs Machine II, and Machine puts up one heck of a fight, but again Holmes triumphs in a match that, again, was as good as their first one.

(Show rating: C-, 1,000 tickets. Match Of the Night: Holmes/Machine. Trash of the night: Elemental/Paranoia.)

On the next Welcome: Well, we were hoping that would shake up the main event scene a bit, but after that match... we're not so sure. Well, we'll have to see what we can get out of Reed...

I wish I wasn't moving so much faster than you (Nov 2013 now) since my roster barely resembles yours anymore. Still I'm enjoying reading your version.

Yeah, I'm only into September 2010... I'd be farther, but a) I have a life and b) I've got write all this stuff down...

---------------

June 2010, week 3

Ah, yes, Art Reed. Not someone we would normally have in the Zone, but he makes sense given Holmes is here. We've got two other offers out, one to someone who'd be a decent jobber, one to someone who... well, is probably an even stranger match for us than Rayne Man, but if it worked out, could be a lot of fun.

I take a step back and look at the roster, and decide some moves need to be made. Sparrow joins Holmes, Reed, myself, and Donnie in the main event. Machine goes down a bit, joining Rayne, Speedball, Cougar, and Dragon. Coleman's gone down a bit; Jordan and Weasel have been moving up. Paranoia and Perez get put into the lower-midcard simply because our two newest signings are, simply, jobbers.

Now, let's see what we can do to try and get a really good show here... hrm, the Internet seems to like Marc Speed... maybe we can use that... and I think we'll leave the new jobbers off the show for now...

CZCW Onslaught #23

We open with CLM, as usual, defending his title, as usual, against Air Attack Weasel. Which was a mistake. And I have this hunch we knew that already. We follow this up with Jonnie Perez and Paranoia actually not having the worst match of the night as they lose to Insanity Inc. Following that, Shoot Club defends the tag titles against Rich & Famous, and then Rayne Man fights Snap Dragon over the ending of their match last week. So far, the entire show has sucked an egg the size of an ostrich.

It's up to the big names to save the show. Art Reed and Donnie J put in a match that, given their lack of chemistry, is pretty good. We follow that up with my attempt to regain my title from Bryan Holmes. I fail, but we topped our last match; we still don't work well together, but we're learning to cope and hide it. And damned if we don't save the show.

(Show rating: C-, 1,000 tickets. Match of the night: Fox/Holmes. Trash of the night: CLM/AAW.)

On the next Welcome: It's the Triangle Tournament!

June 2010, week 4

So, we needed an excuse to have the jobbers on the show. We would do this by eating up time with the first Triangle Tournament. Three triple-threat matches, the winners facing off in the main event for a title shot. Nice, simple, to the point.

Also, we had just re-signed Masked Cougar; we needed to start using him again.

CZCW Onslaught #24

Before the Triangle Tournament, we got the crowd warmed up with California Love Machine defending against one half of the tag champs, Al Coleman. The two put on a decent opener, and CLM retains. Next, we introduce the new jobbers, as American Elemental and American Flash (pity there's no chemistry there) face the team of: Roger Montiero and... Jebediah? Oddly enough, the match isn't terrible... just dub-par.

And now, the tournament starts in earnest. Our first match is Art Reed, myself, and Snap Dragon. We put on one heck of a triple threat, ending with Art forcing me to tap out. The next match is Insane Machine, Rayne Man, and Donnie J. They have a lot of trouble following us, and the crowd is more relieved than anything when Machine pins Donnie. The final qualifier pits Matt Sparrow, Marc Speed, and Masked Cougar against each other. The crowd expects Sparrow to win, so they're somewhat surprised when Cougar pins Speedball for the victory.

Which gives us our final: Art Reed, Insane Machine, and Masked Cougar. The contendership is hung over the ring, and the ladders are dragged out. For the final thirteen minutes of the show, these three men tear the house down and put on the best match the Snake Pit has ever seen. In the end, the crowd is shocked when Reed and Machine are too busy fighting each other and Cougar sneaks up the ladder for the victory.

(Show rating: C, 1,000 tickets. Match of the night: Reed/Machine/Cougar – Zone Best. Trash of the night: Elemental/Flash vs Montiero/Jebediah.)

On the next Welcome: That... worked far better than we could have dreamed. Now, can Holmes/Cougar live up to it?

July 2010, week 1

A former Zoner is had a good June; halfway through the month, Citizen X was signed by RIPW. On the last day of the month, he won the RIPW Championship.

We'd had a good month, too. Spurred on by that last show, we defeated AAA's rather impressive showing to win the Southwest battle for the first time in several months.

We decided to put the title match on hold for a week while we tried to build up Cougar's momentum – he had gained barely anything from the tournament win.

CZCW Onslaught #25

Slightly different format this week; five matches, all slightly longer. We open with the Shoot Club defending the tag titles against Rich & Famous, and putting on a pretty decent (for Rich & Famous) match. Next up, American Elemental gets an upset victory over Rayne Man... and surprisingly enough, it's a main-event-worthy match. Then our bathroom break, as American Flash steals the Xtreme Title away from CLM in a fairly poor match.

To be honest, we thought those last two matches were going to have the reverse results. I mean, seriously... Rayne Man in a good match with a lower-carder?

Anyway, our main events for the night. First, a triangle ladder match for 'I got dibs after Cougar' between myself, Donnie, and Sparrow. It's a good match, and hopefully we've gotten the crowd going enough for the main event. Oh, yeah... I won. What can I say... I'm indulging myself. And the main event saw Holmes and Reed face Machine and Cougar. It... wasn't as good as expected, but was still decent. Cougar for the pinfall on Reed to hopefully gain some momentum, and... well, it was a resting show, really...

(Show rating: D+, 1,000 tickets. Match of the night: Rayne Man/American Elemental. Trash of the Night: CLM/Flash.)

On the next Welcome: Twin main events of Reed/Machine and Holmes/Cougar? Up until this week's main event, we'd've said it can't go wrong...

July 2010, week 2

PGHW has hit National; We were fairly certain they wouldn't be going after Holmes and Reed, but we couldn't be sure.

Which meant we were blindsided when RIPW made a move on American Elemental. We asked him to negotiate with us as well... but let's face it, a developmental deal with RIPW is second only to actually making the big leagues, and we didn't know if he'd stay with us.

So we were a bit distracted when we booked this show; hang on, it's gonna be a bumpy ride, but the ending should hopefully be worth it.

CZCW Onslaught #26

We open with a crowd warm-up match, as Snap Dragon defeats Air Attack Weasel in... well, it was a Weasel match. Next up, American Flash defended his Xtreme Title against Jonnie Perez... and yeah, it was horrid. These two obviously aren't ready for this, and I've got little choice but to force them into it... or downgrade the higher part of the card. The tag match that comes next, Donnie and Rayne defeating Jebediah and Roger, manages to be better – but only a little. It takes a tag team title match between Shoot Club and Going Coastal to get the crowd to wake up – and even then, I don't know if it would have without the titles changing hands back to Going Coastal. See, there's a reason I took the Xtreme Title off CLM... I need Speedball and Coleman elsewhere.

I was really hoping for a good pair of main events to save this show. The first, Art Reed vs Insane Machine, came through – easily worth of being a main event, with Machine dealing Reed his first singles loss here. The Zone Title match between Holmes and Cougar was... well, just as good, and although we kinda hoped we might get a miracle match out of it, we were satisfied with what we had. Holmes retained, of course.

(Show rating: C-, 1,000 tickets sold. Match of the night: Holmes/Cougar. Trash of the night: Flash/Perez.)

On the next Welcome: I guess we have Holmes/Fox III on the schedule. Now if only we could do something to help out the midcard...

July 2010, week 3

We offered Elemental an extra hundred a show. RIPW withdrew from bidding. He was with us for a while still. It let us focus a bit more on the upcoming card.

CZCW Onslaught #27

It opens with Snap Dragon taking on and defeating Rayne Man in a horrid match that neither man should be putting on at their position on the card. Going Coastal successfully defends the Tag Titles against Rich & Famous in a much better match. We then go right back to 'bad' with Flash defending the Xtreme Title against Al Coleman. This... is not instilling me with confidence. But the next match does, as Speedball defeats American Elemental, and once more they deliver a main-event-quality match that should wake the crowd up.

We follow that with another triple-threat contendership match, Art Reed vs Insane Machine vs Matt Sparrow. It's a good match, and Reed wins it... meaning we're going to have our first all-DAVE-allumni main event. Well, that's if Holmes defeats me... let's face it, he's defeating me, the question is, how good can we make it? The answer is: it stinks. On any other show, this would be trash of the night.

(Show rating: D, 1,000 tickets sold. Match of the night: Reed/Machine/Sparrow. Trash of the Night: Dragon/Rayne.)

On the next Welcome: Okay, that sucked. Time to redeem ourselves.

July 2010, week 4

I hate to say it, but I felt like I was stalling out. If, god forbid, I lose another pair of main eventers... I wind up with some of the not-ready-yet midcarders moving up the card, and that's going good. I needed to whip them into shape, and fast... or I'd be relying on people working for other promotions to carry my own.

My own... I know it was joked about over the years, but now... the Zone really does feel like it's mine...

CZCW Onslaught #28

The show opens with the decision to take the Xtreme Title off of Flash, as he loses it in a relatively short match to American Elemental. The match winds up being decent. Insane Machine then tries to drag a good match out of Ant-Man, and barely succeeds. The two almost worked well together. Speedball manages to out-perform Machine when he takes on Jonnie Perez; he wins, but the match is easily the best one of the night so far. The next is... a bathroom break, as Going Coastal retains the tag titles over Jebediah and Montiero. We try to recover a bit as I take on Air Attack Weasel, and so far, it's been a below-average night for us. We can only hope the main event delivers.

Bryan Holmes vs Art Reed. The match goes nearly twenty-five minutes, and Reed almost wins on three seperate occasions, but Holmes manages to retain in the end after one heck of a match.

(Show Rating: C-, 1,000 tickets sold. Match of the night: Holmes/Reed. Trash of the Night: Going Coastal/Jobbers.)

On the next Welcome: Y'know what? Let's do that again, only throw an actual show behind it and see how it does...

August 2010, week 1

So, it's been well over half a year since I took over the reigns here in the Zone. We've had... a modest increase in popularity, to the point where we can charge a bit more for tickets despite the economy being in the crapper. We've lost four main eventers, replacing half of them with outside veterans and the other half promoted from within. We've added a number of jobbers, some of which have been growing quite well and some of which are Paranoia.

As far as money goes, we were making some every month. Except for that month between our hiring Bryan and our ticket prices going up; we lost a bit that month. But we were still far in the red. We figured it would only be two, maybe three more months before we were ready to move to a bigger arena. The Pit was starting to show some wear and tear... and, let's face it, the A/C doesn't work and it's the middle of summer. The place'll smell like sweaty armpits until well into 2011.

And if this show doesn't go well, I'm blaming lack of oxygen from the smell here...

CZCW Onslaught #29

We open the show with what we know will be our weakest match, Al Coleman defeating American Flash. It's about what you'd expect... barely wrestling. But it does make the Tag Title match look better, as Going Coastal retains over Rayne Man and Jebediah. We keep moving up the quality scale as American Elemental retains his Xtreme Title against Air Attack Weasel, and then take a jump up the watchability scale as Insane Machine defeats Masked Cougar. And then, up a step again as Bryan and Art turn in a repeat performance of last week's amazing match.

(Show rating: C, 1,000 tickets sold. Match of the night: Reed/Holmes. Trash of the night: Coleman/Flash.)

On the next Welcome: I think it's safe to say Bryan doesn't need to hold the title anymore... but who will we be giving it to? Machine? Reed? Sparrow? Myself? Or will I go and do something stupid?

… don't answer that.

August 2010, week 2

It was one of those weeks. Air Attack Weasel re-signed for another nine months, at a slight increase in salary; it's not that he deserved it, but without him, I might have to push someone else before they're ready... he at least can fake being competant. Also, Snap Dragon demanded a large salary increase, which I agreed to as he'd stopped working in Mexico; the raise should show some loyalty to him.

CZCW Onslaught #30

Can we pull off a great show while using jobbers? Let's find out. We open the show with a first: A triple-threat Tag Title match, between Going Coastal, Rich & Famous, and the Shoot Club. Perhaps a bit of a surprise, we switch the titles onto the Shoot Club as Speedball retrieves the belts in a fairly average match. Next up is JobberMania. Roger Montiero defeats Paranoia in the worst Zone match of my booking career – turns out the two don't work well together. Rayne Man defeats Jebediah, and I defeat Ant-Man – I'm proud ot say that of the three, my match is the best. Ant-Man has a shot at being big once he gets some more experience, I think.

But nobody came to the show for the jobbers, they came for the big matches. First, American Elemental faces Matt Sparrow for the Xtreme Title, and... wow... these two turn out a … completely average match. I'm underwhelmed. I can only hope our main event delivers, a triple threat Zone Title match between Holmes, Reed, and Machine. And it delivers, getting the crowd into it and giving them action, finally ending with a new champion retrieving the belt: Art Reed. And Machine looks highly upset.

(Show rating: C-, 1,000 tickets sold. Match of the night: Holmes/Reed/Machine. Trash of the Night: Paranoia/Montiero.)

On the next Welcome: New champ means new challengers, right? Well, let's see who's up for it...

August 2010, week 3

It was a slow week, other than re-signing Sparrow's contract; a small raise there, but he probably deserved it.

So, let's take a look at how our big Zoners have improved, shall we?

I've been improving my chain wrestling, my flying, and... somehow... my hardcore skill. I'm also being a bit more consistent.

Matt Sparrow has been working on his technical abilities (although he still couldn't get a web form to submit). He's selling much better, too.

Speedball's brawling and flying are shaping up nicely, and he's come to be much more respected than before.

And, finally (for this week, anyway), American Flash has actually been improving his all-around game. He's toughening up and selling great, but he's just not getting the psychology of the match

CZCW Onslaught #31

Tonights show begins with an excellent appetizer in the form of an Xtreme Title match between American Elemental and Jeremiah Moose. Moose seems energized from his tag title run and really puts some effort into it, giving us some good action. We follow with a salad dish of Tag Title action, with the Shoot Club defeating the Lords of Xtreme. The soup is an excellent Rayne Man vs Insane Machine match, which sees Machine win in short order.

Your entree tonight is Donnie J vs Bryan Holmes, in which Holmes shows he's still strong, but Donnie seems to have a renewed vigor about him. And for desert, what should be a good Zone Title match, spoiled slightly by the fact Art Reed and I don't work well together...

(Show rating: D+, 1,000 tickets sold. Match of the night: Holmes/J. Trash of the Night: Fox/Reed)

On the next Welcome: Will we find a main eventer that Fox doesn't have bad chemistry with???

Archived