Iron Japan Wrestling: Climb The Iron Mountain

Source: ProWrestlingHits.com

-----

New promotion opens in Japan… Iron Japan Wrestling

by Robert Greene

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/DerekB83/IJW3.jpg

Hello there puro fans!

Following on from my review of the often bizarre politics and events in Japan that tried to follow the timeline of the demise of INSPIRE, the change of ownership of BHOTWG and the turbulent times suffered by PGHW there is actually some good news going down in Japan today! Yay!

A man by the name of Onishi Takuma has opened up a new promotion called Iron Japan Wrestling. For those of you not familiar with his work, I’m not surprised! At the age of 42 he has had a long career but has never really amounted to much partly because his once successful gimmick actually hurt him in the long run. Takuma joined floundering promotion GCG in his youth and gained some moderate success with his “Hands of Stone” gimmick, utilising brutal chops and devastating palm strikes to weaken his opponents. However they had to release him due to budget cuts and he floundered on the relatively barren indy scene for a while before resurfacing in PGHW when they were formed in 1996. A two year spell there saw him perform fairly well but it had was clear that his once solid technical skills were now weak due to his hands taking so much punishment from his chops that he had lost mobility in them. He was then released from PGHW and until now has spent the rest of his career touring small indy promotions with the gimmick, which remains fairly popular.

Which brings us to today! Takuma has formed Iron Japan Wrestling and his press release (which I had to have translated for me since I’m not fluent in the language yet) has gone into a lot of detail about what he hopes to achieve with the promotion. The long and short of it is quite simple though, so I’ve paraphrased the translation for you guys to digest.

IRON JAPAN WRESTLING

Iron Japan Wrestling is about honour, fighting spirit and the desire to be the best. To reach the top of IJW you must prove that you have skill, passion and heart. You must show that you are a better wrestler than everyone else and be willing to prove it every time you compete. Iron Japan Wrestling has therefore implemented the following rules and divisions in order to prove yourself.

CLIMBING THE IRON MOUNTAIN

At the top of The Iron Mountain is the IJW World Heavyweight Champion, the man who has proven themselves to be the most worthy of being champion. Sitting below this man are his three top challengers, each ready to prove themselves in battle. Each of these three men have gotten to where they are by defeating those below them and proving themselves worthy. The champion must accept challenges from these men as they have climbed the mountain and earned their place as challengers.

Below the three challengers lies everyone else, slowly ascending towards the summit of the Iron Mountain, trying to prove themselves to be worthy challengers. Only by winning many matches can they challenge one of the three challengers for their spot near the top of the mountain, with victory seeing them replace the challenger.

To climb the mountain you must defeat whoever stands in your path. The higher you climb the harder it becomes to move any higher, and the more people there will be behind you looking to bring you back down. A win moves you up the mountain one step, a defeat sets you back one step. Only when you have reached the top three steps can you challenge for the summit, and only wins against an appropriately strong opponent will see you step forward.

THE MOUNTAIN RANGE

There are many mountains around the Iron Mountain, each with a different path to the top. Once the path to the summit of the Iron Mountain has been walked and a champion has been crowned then the lesser mountains will be scaled also. The mountains are:

The Twin Peaked Mountain: Tag Team

The Volcano: Junior Heavyweight

The Queen’s Mountain: Womens

Only one mountain can be climbed at any time, though walking a path already walked is much easier than walking a new path. If one chooses to make a new climb, they must leave the summit and hope to return one day.

New stars fall from the heavens all the time… some make an impact on the mountain and unsettle those already there, while others miss and fall to earth, needing to start their climb all the way from the bottom.

SPECIAL EVENTS

The Iron Man Tournament

Open to all men who wish to compete, The Iron Man Tournament will see all who wish to reach the summit of the Iron Mountain compete in a single elimination tournament, with the winner receiving a pass to challenge the IJW World Heavyweight champion, regardless of contendership status. The final eight men will face off in one night, with as many events as required being held prior to this in order to see who is worthy of being in the final eight. Only the champion may not enter, for he awaits the winner in an ultimate battle!

The Blind Faith Tournament

It is said that trust must be earned, the same applies to respect and to success. The Blind Faith Tournament draws together tha fates of everyone, pairing them together in a tag team tournament like no other. Friends and foes alike will team up to quest for glory, with the final four pairings competing in the finals. One team will triumph over all others, culminating in a final battle between those individuals for the right to challenge for the IJW World Heavyweight championship. Trust leads to triumph, triumph leads to glory and glory leads to iron.

-----

Such is Iron Japan Wrestling. Glory falls to those who will climb the mountain, surpassing all the challenges in front of them, ascending to glory through honour, fighting spirit and desire.

So yeah… Japanese is such a wonderful language. I’ve broken it down into some pretty simple ideas and concepts, for those who might have had some trouble keeping up with all the fancy words and imperfect translation.

- IJW has a few divisions: A Heavyweight (technically openweight really but it’s Japan and size matters) division, a Junior Heavyweight division, a Tag Team division and a Women’s division. They are only starting with the Heavyweight division though, with more to come later, presumably once they’ve built up a reputation and established their main title.

- Only the top 3 guys in each division can challenge for the belt and you can only be in one division at once. To become one of the top 3 challengers you have to beat one of them… and everything below that is a big ladder ranking system. Beat someone close to you to move up… lose and you move down. Simple really. I think the tag division may operate differently though, since it’d be harsh to have dedicated tag teams unable to compete elsewhere. I also think new guys get to challenge someone for a spot on the roster too, jumping ahead of them in the rankings if they win and heading to the bottom if the lose.

- They have a couple of special tournaments too. They’re probably annual ones, with the Iron Man being a straight singles tournament for a Heavyweight title shot and the Blind Faith Tournament being a Lethal Lottery tag team style tournament with the winning team facing each other for a shot at the Heavyweight title. That could be fun.

Anyways, that’s been my latest update on the Japanese wrestling scene. As ever, I’ve been Robert Greene and I have been your host on this most confusing of topics. Thanks for reading!

- Robert Greene

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ProWrestlingHits.com/japan

+GCG on the rise! Kudo helps the tiger roar again!

+Tara “Thunder” Hike signs with BHOTWG, first female on roster

+Hell Monkey sent to SAISHO: On his way to PGHW at last?

+Samoan Machine sent to Hinote Dojo, fine tuning before he joins main BHOTWG roster.

+Reigning Burning World Champion Hiroaki Nakasawa claims: “I could dominate American wrestling too”

+BHOTWG and PGHW call up trainees, check inside for details on future stars

+5SSW debut dojo graduate Fuyuko Higa, one to watch for the future

Iron Japan Wrestling release details of debut tour and roster

by Robert Greene

About a month ago I told everyone about the upcoming debut of a new Japanese promotion called Iron Japan Wrestling… things have been fairly quiet on them, with the article getting less views than pretty much all the others combined., but they have now released details of their debut roster and the line ups for their shows. Their first tour is pretty short but features some good low level Japanese talent, it should be intereting to see what they do with their roster. Here’s a translated version of their press release.

Thirteen men have heard the call of the Iron Mountain, thirteen men shall compete for the right to be named The Iron Man and to be the inaugural IJW World Heavyweight Champion.

Here are the details of those who have heeded the call.

CHALLENGERS

BISON Yano - Standing 6’6 and weighing 290 pounds, BISON has one of the most powerful men in wrestling today. His most devastating technique is the Yano Express boot, and his team with Brute Kikuchi will be facing off with the Apocalypse Riders before he sees tournament action.

Brother Yoshiitaka – A middleweight with a wide array of skills, Yoshiitaka has already proven himself to be quite the competitor. With visions of success in his future, he may well have what it takes to climb to the top of the mountain.

Brute Kikuchi – The largest man in the tournament at 6’9 and 303 pounds, Akira “Brute” Kikuchi who will look to use his Kikuchi Crush to put opponents away. Teams with BISON Yano, with whom he will team on the showcase show against The Apocalypse Riders.

Dynamite Narahashi – BOOM!! The Narahashi Cutter is a technique that cannot be taken lightly from this former Rookie of the Year. While his career has not progressed as many feel it should have, he is in possession of all the skills required to become a champion and his confidence has yet to be shaken.

Hitomaro Suzuki – Intensity, technique and fire are all attribute possessed by this youngster who’s rise to the top of the world was slowed when INSPIRE closed. Now with a new mountain to climb, Suzuki is one of the favourites to win based on his reputation.

Inejiro Yoshizawa (Spirit of the Lizard) – Best known as a tag team wrestler, both he and his partner have seized on this chance to climb the Iron Mountain in search of gold. A n athletic light heavyweight with the versatility to wrestle many styles, he could be very dangerous in the tournament.

Lion Genji – At aged just 20 years old, Lion Genji is very much a young lion out to prove himself. With a tough field ahead of him, he is an unlikely choice to win but has shown a lot of skill for a young man and cannot be taken lightly.

Musashi – Just 18 years old, standing 5’9 and weighing 170 pounds, this young man doesn’t know his own size. After demanding a chance to prove himself, he has been entered into the inaugural tournament to crown a champion, and will get a chance to showcase his skills against Onishi Takuma beforehand as Takuma tests the youngster.

Nariaki Hitomi – This young athlete has already laid claim to the vacant IJW World Heavyweight championship, boldly declaring that he will win the tournament and the title. Known for showing a lot of promise with BHOTWG, he has some big league experience under his belt that could see him go far.

Noritoshi Miura (Spirit of the Shark) – Teaming with his regular partner, Miura has shown himself to be a tough brawler capable of going toe to toe with anyone. His first IJW match will see him team with his partner against Yano & Kikuchi before he is taken out of his comfort zone and tested in singles competition.

Oda Yakuta – This athletic heavyweight has shown himself to be a highly promising talent who’s reputation so far has been built with the defunct INSPIRE organisation. Known for his hard hitting brawling style, Oda will be a tough man to beat in this tournament.

Onishi Takuma – The founder of IJW, Onishi Takuma is famed for his brutal palm strikes and chops leading to the Takuma Crossface Submission on his way to victory. An obvious front runner to the trophy and the championship, he has more than 20 years of experience on his side.

Tsurayuki Kamachi – Kamachi comes to the tournament with a fine pedigree, having been trained in the PGHW dojo and seasoned with INSPIRE. His physical conditioning seems superior to everyone else in the tournament and his toughness is unquestioned, so should it come down to those attributes then he would surely be favourite to reach the summit of the Iron Mountain.

SCHEDULE

IJW’s first tour will consist of 3 shows. Show 1 is a showcase of talent, where 10 of IJW’s finest will demonstrate their skills and get a feel for each other. Show 2 will eliminate 5 men from the field of competition as the tournament gets underway, featuring only singles matches. And finally show 3 will be the last 8 men in the tournament, squaring off in singles competition until only one man remains and is crowned the IJW World Heavyweight champion and The Iron Man Tournament champion. Here are the line ups for the shows.

SHOW 1: IJW Talent Showcase

Lion Genji vs Tsurayuki Kamachi

Onishi Takuma vs Musashi

Yano & Kikuchi vs The Apocalyse Riders

MAIN EVENT: Nariaki Hitomi vs Dynamite Narahashi

SHOW 2: IJW Iron Man Tournament Preliminaries

Prelim 1: Onishi Takuma vs Lion Genji

Prelim 2: Noritoshi Miura vs BISON Yano

Prelim 3: Tsuayuki Kamachi vs Musashi

Prelim 4: Brother Yoshiitaka vs Inejiro Yoshizawa

MAIN EVENT: Prelim 5: Brute Kikuchi vs Dynamite Narahashi

SHOW 3: IJW The Iron Man Tournament

Match 1: Prelim 1 vs Oda Yakuta

Match 2: Prelim 2 vs Hitomaro Suzuki

Match 3: Prelim 3 vs Nariaki Hitomi

Match 4: Prelim 4 vs Prelim 5

Match 5: #1 vs #2

Match 6: #3 vs #4

Match 7: #5 vs #6 for the Iron Man Trophy and the IJW World Heavyweight Championship

-----

Such is Iron Japan Wrestling. Glory falls to those who will climb the mountain, surpassing all the challenges in front of them, ascending to glory through honour, fighting spirit and desire. One man will reach the summit and claim glory, while the rest must continue to climb the Iron Mountain.

Three shows during which IJW will crown their first ever champions and showcase some particularly fine young Japanese talent. I’m not sure who will walk out victorious in this one but I imagine that whoever it will be is going to be one of their figureheads for the forseeable future. Could go any number of ways… I’d offer a predicition but I’m quite biased on who I think should win. If you’ve got any opinions on the matter then feel free to share them, I always like talking puro with fellow enthusiasts.

- Robert Greene

OOC Post

Just wanted to make an early out-of-character post to say a few things. First of all, this is a 0/0/0/0 game... I'm based in Kanto, Japan and I've got 0 prestige, popularity, money and momentum to start with. Really going for the challenge here. :)

I'm playing with almost all the user preferences ticked, except I've got numbers instead of grades AND access to the Dirt Sheet. Throughout testing of TEW2010 I've gotten so used to numbers that I find I don't want to look back at the letters now... plus this way I can use my own match grading system. All matches/segments will be graded out of 10 from now on. For example, 95+ would be a 10/10, 85 to 94 would be a 9/10 and so on. I like it that way. I'm not going to tell you my user preferences though, you'll have to work those out for yourselves.

Logo coming soon too. I've asked Kam for a logo but obviously he has a huge backlog of requests to through because everyone knows he's awesome. For anyone thinking "but there's an Iron Japan Wrestling logo in the CV97..." I'm not using that one deliberately. Can't go stealing GCG's mascot when my mascots are mountains. :p

And lastly... there were no changes to the default Cornellverse from the full release of the game except to add IJW in at the start of the game. My user character is Onishi Takuma, a 42 year old Japanese wrestler with arm problems, fading skills and mediocre talent. The only stat he beats anyone else on my roster at is psychology... but he's got 15 years experience on most of them so I figured that would be fine. :cool:

Predictions welcomed, I'll be pleased to have everyone on board as we all cimb the Iron Mountain in what is my first venture into the lower reaches of Japan in the Cornellverse. Who knows what's going to go wrong! :D

OOC Post

Just wanted to make an early out-of-character post to say a few things. First of all, this is a 0/0/0/0 game... I'm based in Kanto, Japan and I've got 0 prestige, popularity, money and momentum to start with. Really going for the challenge here. :)

I'm playing with almost all the user preferences ticked, except I've got numbers instead of grades AND access to the Dirt Sheet. Throughout testing of TEW2010 I've gotten so used to numbers that I find I don't want to look back at the letters now... plus this way I can use my own match grading system. All matches/segments will be graded out of 10 from now on. For example, 95+ would be a 10/10, 85 to 94 would be a 9/10 and so on. I like it that way. I'm not going to tell you my user preferences though, you'll have to work those out for yourselves.

And lastly... there were no changes to the default Cornellverse from the full release of the game except to add IJW in at the start of the game. My user character is Onishi Takuma, a 42 year old Japanese wrestler with arm problems, fading skills and mediocre talent. The only stat he beats anyone else on my roster at is psychology... but he's got 15 years experience on most of them so I figured that would be fine. :cool:

Predictions welcomed, I'll be pleased to have everyone on board as we all cimb the Iron Mountain in what is my first venture into the lower reaches of Japan in the Cornellverse. Who knows what's going to go wrong! :D

I am going to follow, but I will not predict the first time around :)

Onishi Takuma vs Musashi

Match 1: Onishi Takuma vs Oda Yakuta

Match 2: BISON Yano vs Hitomaro Suzuki

Match 3: Tsuayuki Kamachi vs Nariaki Hitomi

Match 4: Brother Yoshiitaka vs Dynamite Narahashi

Match 5: Oda Yakuta vs Hitomaro Suzuki

Match 6: Tsuayuki Kamachi vs Dynamite Narahashi

Match 7: Oda Yakuta vs Dynamite Narahashi for the Iron Man Trophy and the IJW World Heavyweight Championship

Onishi Takuma vs Musashi

Match 2: BISON Yanovs Hitomaro Suzuki

Match 5: Onishi Takuma vs Hitomaro Suzuki

Match 6: Tsuayuki Kamachi vs Brother Yoshiitaka

Match 7: Tsuayuki Kamachi vs Onishi Takuma for the Iron Man Trophy and the IJW World Heavyweight Championship

Onishi Takuma vs Musashi

Match 2: BISON Yanovs Hitomaro Suzuki

Match 6: Nariaki Hitomi vs Brother Yoshiitaka

Match 7: Nariaki Hitomi vs Hitomaro Suzuki for the Iron Man Trophy and the IJW World Heavyweight Championship

Onishi Takuma vs Musashi

Match 7: Hitomaro Suzuki vs Dynamite Narahashi for the Iron Man Trophy and the IJW World Heavyweight Championship

Onishi Takuma vs Musashi

Match 7: Hitomaro Suzuki vs Dynamite Narahashi for the Iron Man Trophy and the IJW World Heavyweight Championship

So, when will The Force come in to play.

No Force? What type of dynasty is this?sarcasm

Onishi Takuma vs Musashi

Match 1: Lion Genji vs Oda Yakuta

Match 2: Bison Yano vs Hitomaro Suzuki

Match 3: Musashi vs Nariaki Hitomi

Match 4: Inejiro Yoshizawa vs Dynamite Narahashi

Match 5: Lion Genji vs Hitomaro Suzuki

Match 6: Nariaki Hitomi vs Dynamite Narahashi

Onishi Takuma vs Musashi

Match 5: Oda Yakuta vs Hitomaro Suzuki

Yeah, I don't know any of these guys.

Although I do enjoy the Blind Faith idea. May steal it.

As much as I like the concept of this diary, I'm in the same boat; don't know **** about these guys. Should still be fun to read though. :D

+BHOTWG and PGHW looking forward to new tours, check out their new signings here

+Veteran Junnosuke Fukazawa to retire

+GCG fans clamour for Gakusha vs Kudo title bout for next tour after double count-out draw!

+Burning EXILE vs MYSTIC Dragon: Juniors dominate Hinote Dojo

+Is LuchaResu the future of wrestling? A look at how WLW are changing the landscape forever

+Kenko Takemitsu thanks Stone family for his training, will repay them by becoming a star one day

+Sadaharu Jimbo and Bryan Holmes rumoured argument reason behind Holmes PGHW release, but what was it all about?

Iron Japan Wrestling debut tour results

by Robert Greene

Here are the collected results for the debut tour of the Iron Japan Wrestling. Not very well attended by any means, they will be hoping to bring in more fans for their next tour and hopefully some new wrestlers too.

Thursday, Week 3, February

IJW: Talent Showcase

Gunma Hall: 11 in attendance

- Tsurayuki Kamachi defeated Lion Genji via pinfall at 10:51 following a German suplex. Both men showed their indominatable fighting spirit in this contest and the action was intense from the outset. Kamachi earned the victory when he hit a second bridged German suplex from which Genji was unable to kick out in time. RATING: 4/10

- Onishi Takuma defeated Musashi via submission at 9:29 with a Takuma Crossface Submission. Musashi threw everything he had at the founder of IJW, but he was giving up 7 inches and close to 100 pounds in weight. Despite some impactful kicks from the lion hearted rookie, Takuma’s chops overwhelmed him and he was driven to the mat and forced to submit to the crossface. RATING: 4/10

- The Apocalypse Riders defeated Yano & Kikuchi via pinfall at 10:34 following The End Of The World. A scrappy brawl that never really seemed to be under control, the young power team of Yano and Kikuchi tried to overwhelm their opponents while the more experienced duo tried to milk their experience. Both sides made some mistakes and it was a mistake that led to The Apocalyse Riders hitting the End of the World on Kikuchi to pick up the win. RATING: 2/10

- Dynamite Narahashi defeated Nariaki Hitomi via pinfall at 22:12 following a Narahashi Cutter. Two very competitive and evenly matched young stars gave each other almost everything they had, and with both men looking ready to break, the Narahashi Cutter came out of nowhere and was enough to take the fall. RATING: 4/10

Personally I enjoyed the show although it must have been demoralising for everyone to see such a small crowd. Musashi is an incredibly intense performer and fun to watch, but he looks too small to be taken seriously at heavyweight… ever. The tag match was a train wreck, but all in all the show had some solid matches, headlined by a very good encounter between Narahashi and Hitomi which gets match of the night.

OVERALL RATING: 4/10

Thursday, Week 4, February

IJW: Iron Man Tournament Preliminaries

Gunma Hall: 12 in attendance

- Onishi Takuma defeated Lion Genji via submission at 18:17 with the Takuma Crossface Submission. With a gulf of 22 years of wrestling experience, Genji knew he was battling against the odds in this one and took it to the founder of IJW. Takuma let the youngster make some mistakes and punished him, finally wearing him down with chops and forcing the submission with the crossface. RATING: 3/10

- BISON Yano defeated Noritoshi Miura via pinfall at 14:04 following a Yano Express. Having clashed in tag team action these two men had taken a few notes and learned from the experience. This was an even contest, but without a partner to help him Miura fell to BISON’s power in the end. RATING: 2/10

- Tsurayuki Hamachi defeated Musashi via submission at 18:49 with an inverted sleeper. Musashi showed no fear and no signs of backing down as he tried to chop down his opponent with kicks. Hamachi, having faced kickboxers before in INSPIRE used his own experience to let his opponent wear himself down and eventually grounded the young lion and made him tap out with an inverted sleeper. RATING: 4/10

- Brother Yoshiitaka defeated Inejiro Yoshizawa via pinfall at 14:24 with a Shaolin Powerbomb. This was a fairly open bout that saw Yoshiitaka take to the air when necessary to regain an advantage. Inejiro showed a lack of singles experience that cost him this match, eventually falling prey to the Shaolin Powerbomb. RATING: 3/10

- Dynamite Narahashi defeated Brute Kikuchi via pinfall at 14:41 with a Narahashi Cutter. Kikuchi looked impressive in this match as he used his raw power to overwhelm his smaller opponent. It wasn’t all one way traffic though as Narahashi showed that he had learned a thing or two while with BHOTWG, ultimately countering a ****y gorilla press slam into a Narahashi Cutter, stunning his opponent long enough to pick up the win and advance to the final 8. RATING: 3/10

Five men advance to the finals of the inaugural Iron Man Tournament for the chance to be declared the Iron Man and the first ever IJW World Heavyweight champion. With one more week to get into peak condition for what is sure to be a gruelling event, the three men with byes are sure to enjoyed watching the five winners toughing it out in these hard hitting matches. Match of the night was undoubtedly the Kamachi-Musashi match, with the little lion once again impressing against much larger competition, even in defeat. Good show for IJW, the tournament should however blow this away.

OVERALL RATING: 3/10

Thursday, Week 1, March

IJW: The Iron Man Tournament

Gunma Hall: 15 in attendance

QUARTER FINALS

- Onishi Takuma defeated Oda Yakuta via pinfall at 13:20 following a series of mounted palm thursts. A hard hitting opening match up in the tournament saw both men undoubtedly take something out of each other’s tanks while trying to put each other away early. Experience shone through once again, with Oda failing to complete a suplex leaving Takuma in the mount position where he proceeded to deliver a barrage of palm thrusts that directly led to a pinfall when Yakuta was too disoriented to kick out even after covering up. RATING: 3/10

- Hitomaro Suzuki defeated BISON Yano via pinfall at 9:22 following a backdrop driver. Yano dominated the striking when the contest was standing but his lack of technique was exposed once he was taken down to the mat and Suzuki took control. Yano failed to get back into the match and a wild lariat attempt was countered into the backdrop driver for the pinfall. RATING: 4/10

- Nariaki Hitomi defeated Tsurayuki Kamachi via pinfall at 11:13 following a running lariat. With some of the finest hard hitting action yet seen in an IJW ring, Nariaki Hitomi laid it all on the line in this match though it took 2 running laraits to get the job done. Kamachi was hailed as one of the favourites heading into this match but was unable to control his larger opponent and paid the price. RATING: 4//10

- Dynamite Narahashi defeated Brother Yoshiitaka via pinfall at 14:55 following a Narahashi Cutter. Both men showed their mastery of several styles of combat in this action packed match, culminating in a top rope battle that almost saw Yoshiitaka hit a huge senton bomb, only for Dynamite to move and then land a Narahashi Cutter in the recovery. RATING: 4/10

-With the action warming up, a brief intermission was called which gave the paying fans a chance to refresh themselves while the wrestlers did the same too. Withi just four men remaining in the tournament, the pressure is beginning to rise… who will earn the right to declare themselves the Iron Man, and lay claim to the IJW World Heavyweight championship?

SEMI FINALS

- Hitomaro Suzuki defeated Onishi Takuma via pinfall at 14:03 following a backdrop driver. These two fiery competitors put their hearts and souls into this match, exchanging stiff strikes hard hitting suplexes. Takuma’s palm strikes have won him many striking battles but Suzuki knew to expect this, toughed it out through the pain and kept scoring withi backdrop drivers on Takuma until he could no longer strike back. A final backdrop driver was enough to get the pinfall for Suzuki, upsetting the experienced veteran in this match. RATING: 3/10

- Dynamite Narahashi defeated Nariaki Hitomi via pinfall at 13:23 following a Narahashi Cutter. The explosiveness of Narahashi once again brought him back from the brink of defeat as Hitomi looked to avenge his previous loss in the IJW Showcase that these two young stars headlined. Hitomi was clearly motivated to win for revenge and for glory, but Narahashi once again picked his spot and managed to stun Hitomi long enough to pick up the pinfall following the Narahashi Cutter. RATING: 4/10

- A brief rest was given to Narahashi as he took on fluids and prepared for his third contest of the evening while his opponent Hitomaro Suzuki made his way to the ring. Announcer Hironamu Makoto put over how much the following match up meant, declaring this a monumental moment in IJW histry as the first ever Iron Man and the IJW World Heavyweight champion will be decided.

FINAL

- With fatigue clearly taking it’s toll on both men, Narahashi tried to do everything in his power to drain Suzuki’s energy, especially after the early hard hitting opponents he’d faced. Suzuki tried to strike his way out of trouble and looked to end the fight with a backdrop driver early on that dazed and confused Narahashi. The match proceeded at a high pace given the tired nature of both men, leading to a Narahashi Cutter that Suzuki powered out of to hit a backdrop driver... only for Narahashi to recover fast enough to hit a second Narahashi Cutter. Barely able to muster the energy to make the cover, Narahashi nevertheless picked up the 3 count after 15 minutes of intense action! RATING: 4/10

Dynamite Narahashi defeated Hitomaru Suzuki to win The Iron Man Tournament and become the inaugural IJW World Heavyweight champion.

- The respectful crowd in the Gunma Hall showed their appreciation for the hard work Dynamite Narahashi and everyone on the IJW roster had put into the Iron Man Tournament, with a new champion crowned and a fantastic tournament now completed. Proud, even in defeat, Suzuki helped the champion to strap the IJW World Heavyweight championship belt around the waist of Dynatmite Narahashi who celebrated in the ring, breathing heavily and showing clear signs that the tournament had taken it’s toll.

All hyperbole aside, this was an enjoyable tournament to watch. It wasn’t up to the standards of the upcoming PGHW Elite Series or BHOTWG’s Best of Super Juniors… but it was a good showcase of some of Japan’s better, lesser known talents. I hope that IJW keep up the good work and bring this back again next year, perhaps with an even larger field to choose from and some bigger name talent, because that would go a long way towards helping them out. Good show for them… but nothing compared to the big boys.

Dynamite Narahashi has been the MVP of the tour and rightfully got the title belt, which should go some way to establishing his reputation in Japan once again. I’m hoping that some of you guys (my loyal readers!) check out the DVD and support the company as they have potential. Anything you can give to their merchandise funds would be appreciated. We might not live there, but we can show our support!

Shout outs go to my online friends bigpapa42, The Masked Orange and SeanMcFly for predicting the winner correctly... good work you guys. No-one got every result right, but a good number of you guys proved you know your stuff when it comes to low level puro. You make me proud! *sniff*

Anyways, that’s all from me. If you want to talk puro, drop me a line and then regret that you ever did. I’ll talk your hind legs off for sure!!

- Robert Greene

I just want to thank jtlant for the awesome logo and banner he made for me while Kamchatka works through a huge backlog of requests for his own awesome work. I didn't even ask Mr Lant, the guy is just that awesome! :D

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/DerekB83/IJWbanner.jpg

Details of the new tour coming up soon... well, sometime today anyways. Will almost be half a year through the game by time that finishes, which is a scary fast game for me... specially with a diary. Fun times. :)

+ SWF Awesome Impact to air on PPV in Japan? Are they seriously expecting puro fans to watch sports entertainment?

+ Tetsunori Yasuda breaks “The Monster” Raymond Diaz’s nose in 6 man tag, see how here!

+ SWF Awesome Impact headlined by Steve Frehley/Rich Money over Marat Khoklov/Jack Bruce… Japanese media opinion split.

+ “The Iron Man” Nobuatsu Tatsuko defeats Eisaku Kunomasu to win PGHW Elite Series for the second time

+ PGHW’s Blown Away Tour is blowing away BHOTWG’s Payback Tour

+ GCG owner Hanshiro Furusawa, 60, dies in tragic car accident!

+ Mabuchi Furusawa, 23, mourns his father.. vows to carry on GCG tradition and dedicates upcoming tour in his honour

+ Legendary Dan Stone retires from pro wrestling, leaves daughter Victoria Stone to un his company

+ Steve Frehley leaves SWF, may head to Japan for some competition

+ Mabuchi Furusawa “Yoshifusa Maeda’s experience will help GCG in these turbulent times”

+ Chojiro Kitoaji will miss 2 months of action with arm injury in tag team match

+ Rookie Eien Miyamoto submits to arm injury…

+ WLW bring in more fresh talent as their star continues to shine

Iron Japan Wrestling debut tour results

by Robert Greene

Hello again puro fans, with a big shout out going to my boy jtlant following some of our recent discussions. Seems he knows his stuff and we had some great conversations about the general state of Japanese wrestling at the moment, which is becoming somewhat chaotic. From out of the chaos comes this easily missed press-release from the young Iron Japan Wrestling promotion, who hopefully won’t be overlooked and buried in the mess caused by the tragic events in GCG at the moment. As ever, I got a little help in the translations since my Japanese isn’t perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

Raising The Iron Mountain

The race to the summit of The Iron Mountain was dramatic and intense, with competitors throwing everything they had a the mountain. Only one man could be the first to reach the summit and lay claim to the IJW World Heavyweight Championship and the right to call himself the Iron Man… that man was Dynamite Narahashi. Demonstrating toughness of the highest calibre, a burning desire to win and the showcasing his skills for the world to see, Narahashi overcame all competition in front of him on his way to reaching the peak of the Iron Mountain.

Now comes the time of order, where those who failed to reach the summit must battle to get to the top of the mountain. Those who came closest still occupy the spots nearest the peak, while those who fell early have the longest path. In order to determine who is closest a series of events have been worked out to decide who is most deserving and who is least. The winners on this tour will ascend towards the peak, the losers will find their path elongated. The slopes of the Iron Mountain are unforgiving, yet the rewards are worth all hardships.

The semi-finalists and losing finalist make up the 3 challengers to the summit. As the only one not defeated by the IJW World Heavyweight champion, “Hands of Stone” Onishi Takuma has been granted a title shot at Dynamite Narahashi on the Raising The Iron Mountain show. The preceding shows will give both champion and challenger a first hand look at their opponent in tag team action. The rest of the matches will test everyone on the roster, giving each the chance to showcase themselves and demonstrate their standing on the Iron Mountain.

TOUR SCHEDULE

SHOW 1: IJW Iron Mountain Lower Slopes

Brute Kikuchi vs Musashi

Lion Genji vs Noritoshi Miura

Brother Yoshiitaka vs Oda Yakuta

MAIN EVENT: Dynamite Narahashi/Onishi Takuma vs Hitomaro Suzuki/Nariaki Hitomi

SHOW 2: IJW Iron Mountain Upper Slopes

Nariaki Hitomi vs Loser of Kikuchi/Musashi

Hitomaro Suzuki vs Lion Genji

BISON Yano vs Tsurayuki Kamachi

MAIN EVENT: Dynamite Narahashi/Onishi Takuma vs The Apocalyse Riders

SHOW 3: IJW Raising The Iron Mountain

Loser of Yano/Kamachi vs Winner of Genji/Miura

Loser of Yoshiitaka/Yakuta vs Winner of Kikuchi/Musashi

IRON CHALLENGER: Nariaki Hitomi vs Winner of Yoshiitaka/Yakuta

IRON CHALLENGER: Hitomaru Suzuki vs Winner of Yano/Kamachi

IJW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MAIN EVENT: Dynamite Narahashi © vs Onishi Takuma

CHALLENGERS

BISON Yano - Standing 6’6 and weighing 290 pounds, BISON has one of the most powerful men in wrestling today. His most devastating technique is the Yano Express boot, and his team with fellow powerhouse Brute Kikuchi is not to be underestimated.

Brother Yoshiitaka – A middleweight with a wide array of skills, Yoshiitaka has already proven himself to be quite the competitor. With visions of success in his future, he will be aiming to overcome his loss and take a position near the top of the mountain in the challenger’s position from this tour.

Brute Kikuchi – The largest man in Iron Japan Wrestling at 6’9 and 303 pounds, Akira “Brute” Kikuchi who will look to use his Kikuchi Crush to put opponents away. He teams with BISON Yano and has a blossoming rivalry forming with the Apocalpyse Riders tag team.

Dynamite Narahashi – Winner of the Iron Man Tournament and holder of the IJW World Heavyweight Championship, Dynamite Narahashi fought with fire and intelligence to win three matches in one night en route to his greatest career glory to date. He now faces the challenge of IJW founder and 20 years veteran Onishi Takuma in what is certain to be a hard fought encounter.

Hitomaro Suzuki – Intensity, technique and fire are all attribute possessed by this youngster who’s rise to the top of the world was slowed when INSPIRE closed. Falling only in the final to Dynamite Narahashi, Suzuki has his sights set on earning a championship contest in the near future though must first fend off challenges from those seeking to climb the mountain at his expense.

Inejiro Yoshizawa (Spirit of the Lizard) – Best known as a tag team wrestler with Noritoshi Miura, Inejiro has demonstrated potential to be a singles star too. Buliding his reputation in IJW in both singles and tag team competition, he is part of a developing tag team rivalry with Yano & Kikuchi.

Lion Genji – At aged just 20 years old, Lion Genji is very much a young lion out to prove himself. Inexperience is his greatest enemy, though every contest is a learning experience and he has shown considerable skill.

Musashi – Just 18 years old, standing 5’9 and weighing 170 pounds, this young man doesn’t know his own size. After boldly demanding a chance to prove himself he has shown that he is a hard hitting ball of fire in the ring, but he lacks the size or experience to compete realistically with the heavyweights.

Nariaki Hitomi – Having boldly declared himself to be the uncrowned IJW champion prior to the Iron Man Tournament, Hitomi was forced to be humble following 2 defeats on the last tour to Dynamite Narahashi. Determined to not only avenge those losses but to also claim the title he said would be his, he must now fend off challengers to his spot near the summit long enough to get a title match.

Noritoshi Miura (Spirit of the Shark) – One half of the Apocalypse Riders, Miura disappointed in singles action in the Iron Man Tournament. Seeking to improve himself and to establish his tag team as the premiere team in IJW, he faces stiff competition in the form of Yano & Kikuchi who share a similar goal.

Oda Yakuta – This athletic heavyweight has shown himself to be a highly promising talent who’s reputation so far has been built with the defunct INSPIRE organisation. Known for his hard hitting brawling style, Oda seeks to climb higher up the mountain on this tour.

Onishi Takuma – The founder of IJW, Onishi Takuma is in line for the first shot at Dynamite Narahashi’s IJW World Heavyweight championship, being the only challenger to not lose to the champion. Utilising his brutal strikes to force both submission and pinfall victories so far in IJW, he will seek to learn more about his opponent in tag team matches before they face off in the tour’s climatic encounter.

Tsurayuki Kamachi – Kamachi trained within the PGHW ranks and developed his reputation with INSPIRE, leading to him joining IJW. Equally at home on the mat or striking on his feet, Kamachi’s early exit in the Iron Man Tournament was a huge disappointment to him. He now aims to improve his standing in IJW with some wins, aiming to secure a Contenders spot by time the tour ends.

-----

Such is Iron Japan Wrestling. Glory falls to those who will climb the mountain, surpassing all the challenges in front of them, ascending to glory through honour, fighting spirit and desire.

Quite flowery language in there again, I love how complex Japanese is. Basically, this tour is about establishing the ladder system in the company and is using the results of the previous tour as a baseline for where people should be. After this tour there will be a full update to the rankings which should make things clearer in terms of working out the standing of each worker. Interesting that the founder of the company gave himself a title shot despite losing in the semi-finals, seems a bit self serving if you ask me. But also good that they haven’t made too many changes to their roster.. actually, the only change they made is one that most people wouldn’t even notice and that was to replace their announcer with a young kid. No idea if the new boy is any good or not, but he probably works for less… which is probably not a good sign for IJW’s finances.

Anywho, if anyone wants to talk about the upcoming shows with me I’d like to hear from you. Obviously this isn’t the biggest news in pro wrestling or anything, but since everyone is already talking about the big stuff I’m gonna have to keep you up to date on the little things lest we all miss them. And that would be tragic!

-Robert Greene

+ PGHW tour a huge success, looking to bring in even more talent to try and top it!

+ EXODUS 2010 opens in Tohoku! Kuemon Hotta promotes them as a cutting edge, modern company!

+ EXODUS 2010 gain hype as legendary Nana “Sensational” Ogiwara signs on to help run the company

+ The Stars of EXODUS 2010: Profiles on the new promotion’s biggest names including: Kenko Takemitsu, Morimaso Kato, Kuemon Hotta, Spyder Yakuta and Quick Kick Nakao.

+ BREAKING NEWS: BHOTWG Junior champion Sensational Dragon suffers severe head trauma!! Concussion may even be career threatening!!

Iron Japan Wrestling tour results so far

by Robert Greene

I’ve been getting some regular mail from some of the most dedicated puro fans on the planet (You guys! And citrus fruits!) asking about the progress of Iron Japan Wrestling. They’ve not really made a big splash in Japan and have been kinda outshone by the debut of EXODUS 2010, but they’re going strong and they seem to be picking up a bit of a fanbase. Here are the results of the first two cards of their tour, with the final show coming up soon. I even included a quick predicitions sheet for the final card, given how many conditions there were on the shows leading up to it. After these shows, things should be easier to predict.. specially since I’ll be providing more updates given that you guys seem to like them so much.

Thursday, Week 3, May

IJW Iron Mountain Lower Slopes

Gunma Hall: 10 in attendance

- Brute Kikuchi defeated Musashi via pinfall at 5:37 following a Kikuchi Crush. Musashi charged headlong into this match despite his huge size disadvantage. Kikuchi took a few minutes to get his bearings against the lion hearted speedball, but when he did get him all it took was a couple of brutal slams followed by a pair of Kikuchi Crush chokeslams to pick up the win. RATING: 2/10

- Noritoshi Miura defeated Lion Genji via pinfall at 9:45 following a Storm Rider. Miura advances up the Iron Mountain with this hard fought win in what was a very close contest. RATING: 2/10

- Brother Yoshiitaka defeated Oda Yakuta via pinfall at 13:10 following a Shaolin Powerbomb. A bitter defeat for Yakuta in this open ended contest, with the Yakuta-Bomb countered into the Shaolin Powerbomb leading to the finish in a match that could have went either way. Yoshiitaka moves up to earn a shot at contendership status while Yakuta is still in search of a much needed win.RATING: 3/10

- Dynamite Narahashi/Onishi Takuma defeated Hitomaro Suzuki/Nariaki Hitomi via at 22:51 following a Narahashi Cutter on Nariaki Hitomi. Neither team seemed to be working well together, with both sides fighting internally and with the men they faced in the Iron Man Tournament. The champion was clearly a marked man as he felt a lot of the offense in this one before Suzuki and Hitomi started to break down as a team, each seeking to lay their claim to a future title shot. Takuma’s strikes caused a lot of damage while he was in the match though he wisely spent as much time resting himself as possible… the finish came off a blind tag, with Narahashi sneaking into the ring and once again catching Nariaki Hitomi with the Narahashi Cutter to pick up a pinfall victory on him, the third in their three encounters so far in IJW. RATING: 4/10

It’s starting to become clear who the power players of IJW are going to be, with the likes of Yoshiitaka picking up a win and all four semi-finalists from the original tournament being booked strongly tonight. The champion isn’t being booked to be dominant as his wins sometimes come out of the blue, but he is regularly beating Nariaki Hitomi who is being kept strong for most of his time in matches. The main event was an enjoyable tag team affair, should be interesting to see where this goes over the rest of the tour.

Thursday, Week 4, May

IJW Iron Mountain Upper Slopes

Gunma Hall: 36 in attendance

- Nariaki Hitomi defeated Musashi via pinfall at 9:06 following a Lariat. Musashi’s speed kept him in this match as he once again tried everything to overcome the size difference to little avail. Hitomi missed two lariat attempts but after some close up wearing down a third lariat proved to be more than enough to keep Musashi down for the count and to secure his spot as a top contender for another day. RATING: 4/10

- Hitomaro Suzuki defeated Lion Genji via pinfall at 10:34 following a Backdrop Driver. Featuring some fierece striking and some intensive grappling, Suzuki proved himself once again to be one of the brightest young talents in Japan witih a strong display here again a youngster who was hungry to prove himself. Suzuki also secures his place in as a contender and will find out who his opponent for the next show will be… next. RATING: 4/10

- Tsurayuki Kamachi defeated BISON Yano via submission at 12:16 following an Inverted Sleeper. Technique versus power is a classic battle, and in this case technique was the winner as Kamachi wisely tried to ground this contest and outwrestle his larger and more powerful opponent. When the time was right Kamachi locked in the Inverted Sleeper and managed to make big BISON Yano tap out. RATING: 4/10

- Dynamite Narahashi/Onishi Takuma defeated The Apocalypse Riders via referee stoppage at 19:21 following Mounted Palm Thrust from Takuma to Miura. After the previous tag team match Narahashi demanded more from Takuma, refusing to tag in until he felt the veteran had done his fair share of the work. The Riders were by far the more cohesive team but with the champion and #1 contender as their opposition they eventually found themselves overwhelmed by force. Narahashi floored Yoshisawa with a Narahashi Cutter and then watched closely as Takuma pounded Miura into the mat with devastating mounted palm thrusts. RATING: 3/10

A good show let down slightly by the main event, which was a scrappy affair at best.although would probably be described by many as “rugged”. Takuma and Narahashi have built up the tension between them in the matches in a way that doesn’t come across well in text but should provide an excellent match on their last big show. It was also great to see a much bigger crowd for this show than previous ones, showing that the company must be doing something right when it comes to getting their name out there.

And lastly, a quick predicitions sheet for their final tour event!

BISON Yano vs Noritoshi Miura

Oda Yakuta vs Brute Kikuchi

IRON CHALLENGER: Nariaki Hitomi vs Brother Yoshiitaka

IRON CHALLENGER: Hitomaru Suzuki vs Tsurayuki Kamachi

-Robert Greene

I'm going with big men and double bluffs, but expecting Narahashi to retain above everything.

Yano's size is too much for Miura.

Yakuta is better at this point, so he picks up the win.

Hitomi takes the win here.

Suzuki will probably be one of your key guys once he gets past young lion status, and I believe he starts out right on the cusp, so he goes over another young lion in Kamachi.

I think Narahashi will get a pretty lengthy run to start out with. At least until some of your other youngsters get a little bit more established.

Archived