Stale Characters

I'm getting this note a lot a few months into my SWF game, and I'm just wondering how it all works, what it takes into account and how big a penalty it gives. I'm getting it for workers with gimmick ratings up to B (and they themselves are dropping fast in general despite generally high rated segments and so on, which is worrying). They're all in storylines as well. So is it pretty much a turn or a gimmick change that is needed to avoid it? And is it really that big a deal? And on the gimmick rating note in general, is there anything that can slow down the majority of declines or is it just going to be necessary to make slight changes every six months or so?

A gimmick change OR a turn will make them less stale.

What I've never been sure of is if you make a more dramatic change (something that requires off screen time) will it stay fresh longer than if you don't?

Yes to the first bit, a turn or gimmick change will refresh a character. Mr Ryland himself stated this back in TEW08. :)

Yes to the second bit too. Changing a gimmick to another in the same category (legit to legit) isn't a major change, so it gets stale more quickly than if you were changing between two gimmick types (legit to brute, for example).

It starts as just a tiny penalty less than 1.0% and gets worse the more stale they get.

I noticed when I first start a game most of my workers are considered "stale"

I just ignore it until it starts showing up on actual road agent notes, although if I have plans already to change their character (i.e. it's a minor change) I'll do it a bit sooner then planned.

For diary purposes I'll just make the change and make it a subtle shift. So a ****y Youth going to Arrogant Heel would probably be just a few altered bits of dialogue, nothing worth lampshading by writing a storyline around it.

I noticed when I first start a game most of my workers are considered "stale"

I just ignore it until it starts showing up on actual road agent notes, although if I have plans already to change their character (i.e. it's a minor change) I'll do it a bit sooner then planned.

For diary purposes I'll just make the change and make it a subtle shift. So a ****y Youth going to Arrogant Heel would probably be just a few altered bits of dialogue, nothing worth lampshading by writing a storyline around it.

I do the same

Archived