Help with a product

I know I've started disparate threads for a lot of promotion types that hardly overlap, but I can hardly be blamed for wanting to try everything, right?

Anyway, this time, I'm trying to come up with a product that fits the concept of "Seattle Underground", something with a lot of Cult, Modern, and Hardcore, but I'm having trouble nailing down something that'll work without getting rejected by the quality atheletes. Plus, I'm trying to work in a women's division, very few of whom are particularly talented at hardcore matches. So I'd like it to have more depth than simply hardcore matches; technicians and high flyers should be able to slot in, too. And the more vocal the fanbase, the better.

So far, I've been playing with Cult, Modern, and Hardcore as key features, with Daredevil and Risque at Heavy, and Traditional and Mainstream at Medium, but its not really what I'm picturing. So I appeal for help from someone who might know what they're doing better than I.

The comparison I was dreading, though I don't know why. I suppose when one is trying to go for an underground feel with hardcore built in to it, the ECW comparisons are unavoidable, and I'm probably cribbing off them more than just a little bit. Though my original concept was "If the Seattle music scene was actually a wrestling scene."

Why exactly are you married to Risque? You know what it does and yet you still need to have tons of it? Why? If you need Risque that much, deal with not being able to get all the workers you might want.

This is kinda like 'Doctor, it hurts when I do this.' So don't do that! If you find that risque leads to negative repercussions (like workers refusing to work for you), leave it out. You don't have to have it to have an underground product and if you do, then you don't need 'squares' or people who get uptight about that kind of thing.

You say you want hardcore but you don't want it to define your promotion ("I'd like it to have more depth than simply hardcore matches"). So why's it a key feature? Key features are intended to be the features that primarily define your product (and thus, your promotion). Designing products isn't difficult. The difficulty comes when you try to be all things to all people OR a "I need to have my cake and eat it too". Like, I want to be like ECW but I also want tons of sponsorship money (usually associated with 'family friendly' products). Does not compute.

I'm not having a go at you, I'm just trying to get you to look at the entire product system logically. Key features are what define you. It's the primary focus of your promotion. It's the name on the tin. Just like you wouldn't shave with whipped cream, likewise fans who love mainstream likely aren't coming to too many Cult shows. Behind that are your heavy features that complement the keys. Medium and below is basically for seasoning. Each element has pluses and minuses associated with them. The key to a workable product from a personal perspective is finding a combination whose pluses and minuses equal something you're happy with (or at least can live with).

Archived