NWA 1989: Tradition To Innovation

No one got a perfect score on both cards combined but several people did get 8/9. Congratulations to BHK1978, jhd1 and Lexa90!

Leader

1. BHK1978=8 Wins

jhd1=8 Wins

Lexa90=8 Wins

4. MattitudeV2=6 Wins

5. Huntman=5 Wins

Thanks again to everyone who's predicted so far! The predictions and comments really do help make this diary fun and worthwhile!

And a special thank you to all of the real world picture cutters and designers. They really do help each and every diary look that much more authentic!

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWA POWER HOUR*

Thursday Week 2 September 1989

Doom vs. The Midnight Express

Nitron vs. Tommy Rich

The Skyscrapers vs. Jason Knight and Johnny Ace

The Dragonmaster vs. Flyin' Brian

The Fabulous Freebirds and Rip Morgan vs. The Steiners and Eddie Gilbert

*NOTE: NWA Power Hour predictions WILL count toward the prediction contest. However, it will not be given a full writeup as it is a B-Show.

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

Saturday Week 2 September 1989

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Johnny Ace

Bill Irwin vs. Steve Williams

Non Title: Rip Morgan vs. Ric Flair

Varsity Club (Mike Rotundo and Kevin Sullivan) vs. Road Warriors

Jimmy Garvin vs. Rick Steiner

Non Title: Terry Funk vs. Sting

Nitron vs. Tommy Rich

NWA POWER HOUR*

Nitron vs. Tommy Rich

NWA POWER HOUR*

Nitron vs. Tommy Rich

NWA POWER HOUR*

Two great tag teams, got to go with the Express.

Nitron vs. Tommy Rich

Makeshift team of two guys who are basically jobbers taking on two guys who are higher up on the card, should be a squash.

I am not sure about this one, I really think even though Brian was young at this time he may still have a chance.

Never trust Eddie Glibert, I think he is going to turn on Rick and Scott.

Squash

Squash, Wild Bill is not going to win this one.

Yeah like the guy who used to carry the Bushwackers flag around, has a chance against the Nature Boy.

LOD is way to awsome to lose to Capt. Mike/IRS and the devil worshipper.

NWA POWER HOUR*

Nitron vs. Tommy Rich

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/JeremyStone_alt1.jpg

[...Sitting within my office at Turner Towers here in Atlanta, Georgia a lot of things have been occuring this week. The first thing that happened was something that I noticed at the NWA Power Hour show. It would seem that Junkyard Dog has taken Cactus Jack under his wing a little bit. The two seem to be hanging out a little more and the older JYD seems to really be taking a liking to Cactus. If this can bring a little more harmony to the dressing room then I am all for it.

The World Championship Wrestling taping was a little more eventful as Al Perez put a number on his days by gaining heat with the rest of the group pulling a tasteless prank backstage. I am really looking into whether or not he is worth staying here after the heat that he gained. But on the positive side, Jason Knight brought an Atari Lynx backstage to that show and organized a video game tournament with Pac-Man. He ended up winning the tournament, beating out Michael Hayes for the top score.

I made the decision to bring a tag team back to the NWA that has been wrestling on the indy circuit and the AWA. They have some contractual obligations to WCCW so they will not be wrestling this week but next week will see the return of the Rock 'N' Roll Express to the NWA. Now it's just a matter of deciding how I want to use them.

One other wrestler will be making his return to the NWA very soon. But that wrestler's name is being kept under close wraps, under lock and key so to speak so that he can make the biggest impact that he possibly can when he returns.

Time to get back to work on this upcoming card, though. What a wonderful and busy week it has been for the NWA...]

Great first show angel! I must admit I'm not a huge fan of the picture file that comes with the mod (a little too close for me) but as usual, you lay it out nicely, so I can manage! Plus the writing is, as always, excellent! :D

NWA POWER HOUR

Ron Simmons is sooo much cooler than Stan Lane!

Nitron vs. Tommy Rich

We've discovered you like Rich, and Nitron is well, Nitron!

Sid vs. Knight!? No question...

Complete guess, though fortunately not because I don't know who they are this time!

Complete guess as we'll discover shortly...

Bam Bam is title material. In fact, clone him and make him the tag team champion(s) too!

I'm sure somewhere I saw you mention you were a fan of Williams, and he's certainly a better prospect than The Goon (yes, I wikipediaed Irwin...) :D

Whoooo!

Road Warriors are by far my favourite tag team on the roster.

DQ win for Steiner, hence the win for the Freebirds earlier.

Tough one, but Funk was/is never someone I could really like.

NWA POWER HOUR*

NWA POWER HOUR*

NWA POWER HOUR*

Never trust Eddie Glibert, I think he is going to turn on Rick and Scott.

NWA POWER HOUR*

Thanks for the predictions so far! Truly appreciate them and hope you are all enjoying the diary thus far.

BHK1978, Know a little of the history with Eddie Gilbert, huh? He's one of my favorite mostly indy wrestlers of all time.

Great first show angel! I must admit I'm not a huge fan of the picture file that comes with the mod (a little too close for me) but as usual, you lay it out nicely, so I can manage! Plus the writing is, as always, excellent! :D

NWA POWER HOUR

Bam Bam is title material. In fact, clone him and make him the tag team champion(s) too!

Road Warriors are by far my favourite tag team on the roster.

Glad that you enjoyed the first show. The layout for this one is gonna be much the same as my USPW diary. I'm not sure whether this one's gonna get as good a writeup as my USPW one but I am trying to make this definitely entertaining.

Big Bam Bam fan, huh? He's definitely got a look that fits where I mostly go with my guys, see USPW. Whether or not he's gonna get a push, though? You'll have to tune in and find out.

As for the tag teams, this is a golden age for tag teams in NWA and WWF alike. Here is a list of the current tag teams right now in the NWA:

Doom (Butch Reed and Ron Simmons)

Dynamic Dudes (Johnny Ace and Shane Douglas)

Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton and Stan Lane)

Road Warriors (Road Warrior Animal and Road Warrior Hawk)

Rock 'N' Roll Express (Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson)

The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes and Jimmy Garvin)

The Skyscrapers (Sid Vicious and Dan Spivey)

The Steiners (Rick Steiner and Scott Steiner)

The Wild Samoans (Samu and Fatu)

Varsity Club (Kevin Sullivan and Mike Rotundo)

Since jhd1 has given his favorite, if anyone else wants to toss out their favorite team in this list and why, feel free to do so.

As far the next show, I am planning on it coming out sometime on Saturday. I will be trying to get a USPW show on Wednesday and an NWA show on Saturday whenever I can.

Yeah I was a fan of Eddie Gilbert as well (not so much a fan of his brother Doug "The Dark Patriot" Gilbert).

As far as tag teams go on that list, it is tough.

There are three teams on that list that I really like being:

The Steiner Brothers (Before Scott became what he is now, I used to be a huge Scott Steiner fan).

The Midnight Express (Always was a huge fan of Bobby Eaton, and Stan Lane was a great wrestler as well).

The Road Warriors (What is there not to like about Hawk and Animal? They were just awsome! I just wished that they had never gone to the WWF, because in my opinion Vince took some of their magic away from them).

Doom and the SST (or The Wild Samoans) were great as well.

Yeah I was a fan of Eddie Gilbert as well (not so much a fan of his brother Doug "The Dark Patriot" Gilbert).

As far as tag teams go on that list, it is tough.

There are three teams on that list that I really like being:

The Steiner Brothers (Before Scott became what he is now, I used to be a huge Scott Steiner fan).

The Midnight Express (Always was a huge fan of Bobby Eaton, and Stan Lane was a great wrestler as well).

The Road Warriors (What is there not to like about Hawk and Animal? They were just awsome! I just wished that they had never gone to the WWF, because in my opinion Vince took some of their magic away from them).

Doom and the SST (or The Wild Samoans) were great as well.

I actually liked Doug Gilbert in his role as The Dark Patriot in the Global Wrestling Federation. I thought it was definitely a different role for someone to play. I miss the GWF. lol.

Definitely all good teams. I've got my picture taken with the Steiners and Buff Bagwell at a Mid-Atlantic Wrestling Show. They were really friendly and Buff was surprised at my remembering him as The Handsome Stranger back in those GWF days. lol.

Bobby Eaton I met in person several times and actually amateur wrestled with his son Dustin. Bobby is definitely soft-spoken and seemed very humble.

I am also debating between keeping the team as the Wild Samoans or going back to the Samoan Swat Team name. Who knows where it may end up in the future.

I used to love the GWF as well, they had some great talent in that promotion when I first opened up. Actually that was were I first saw Harlem Heat yet another great tag team.

GWF started to go downhill when they could no longer afford to bring in the name talent and had to bring in the local guys. That would be a great diary for someone to do GWF!

I used to love the GWF as well, they had some great talent in that promotion when I first opened up. Actually that was were I first saw Harlem Heat yet another great tag team.

GWF started to go downhill when they could no longer afford to bring in the name talent and had to bring in the local guys. That would be a great diary for someone to do GWF!

Same place I first saw Harlem Heat, as the Ebony Experience. I could definitely foresee the future great things for that team.

I thought for awhile at one point about doing a diary based on the GWF but I knew that they wouldn't be able to stay on ESPN very long because they wouldn't be drawing high enough ratings. Some of my favorites there included The Patriot and Dark Patriot, Rasta The Voodoo Mon, Tugboat and Chaz Taylor, 'Wild' Bill Irwin, Black Bart, The Lightning Kid (Sean Waltman), Jerry Lynn, Coast To Coast Connection ('Hollywood' John Tatum and 'Rugged' Rod Price), Ebony Experience, Iceman King Parsons, Steven DeTruth (Telling you DeTruth, De Whole Truth and Nothing But DeTruth) and more.

Same place I first saw Harlem Heat, as the Ebony Experience. I could definitely foresee the future great things for that team.

I thought for awhile at one point about doing a diary based on the GWF but I knew that they wouldn't be able to stay on ESPN very long because they wouldn't be drawing high enough ratings. Some of my favorites there included The Patriot and Dark Patriot, Rasta The Voodoo Mon, Tugboat and Chaz Taylor, 'Wild' Bill Irwin, Black Bart, The Lightning Kid (Sean Waltman), Jerry Lynn, Coast To Coast Connection ('Hollywood' John Tatum and 'Rugged' Rod Price), Ebony Experience, Iceman King Parsons, Steven DeTruth (Telling you DeTruth, De Whole Truth and Nothing But DeTruth) and more.

Funny I know Jerry Lynn was there but for the life of me I really do not remember him being there. And I used to watch GWF every time it was on.

NWA POWER HOUR*

Nitron vs. Tommy Rich

*NOTE: NWA Power Hour predictions WILL count toward the prediction contest. However, it will not be given a full writeup as it is a B-Show.

Quote:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/WCW.jpg

Attendance: 2,000

Overall Rating: C+

TV Rating: 1.42

There was a feeling that a number of the angles used did not reach the standards set by the in-ring action.

This show can be considered a success, it should have increased our popularity.

The Power Hour

In a match that had some good action and average heat, Midnight Express defeated Doom in 5:45 when Beautiful Bobby Eaton defeated Butch Reed by pinfall with an Alabama Jam...C

In an extremely short match, Tommy Rich defeated Nitron in 4:24 by pinfall with a Thesz Press...D

In an extremely short match, The Skyscrapers defeated Jason Knight and Johnny Ace in 1:47 when Dan Spivey defeated Johnny Ace by pinfall with a Bulldog...D+

In an extremely short match, Flyin' Brian defeated The Dragonmaster in 1:34 by pinfall...E+

In an extremely short match, 'Hotstuff' Eddie Gilbert and The Steiners defeated Rip Morgan and The Fabulous Freebirds in 4:59 when 'Hotstuff' Eddie Gilbert defeated Rip Morgan by submission with a Figure Four Leglock...C

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/NWA-1.jpg

Pre Show: In a match that had some good action and average heat, 'Cowboy' Bob Orton defeated Flyin' Brian in 5:45 by pinfall with a Running Powerslam...C

[The show kicks off with a video describing...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/ricflairc.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/sting4.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/terryfunk2.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/greatmuta.jpg

[...the events of last week where Ric Flair was attacked by The Great Muta and Terry Funk. Luckily, Sting was in the building and made the save to end the show.]

[inside the arena, the focus is turned toward the spotlighted interview area as we are welcomed to World Championship Wrestling! Standing within the interview area is none other than...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/sting4.jpg

[...Sting! He will be in the main event tonight with Terry Funk but apparently he has some words for everyone before then...]

Sting

"Terry Funk, I know you're standing in the back sweating about our match tonight. I was doing a little sweating earlier but that came from my workout."

[...Sting flexes for a moment to cheers from the female fans...]

Sting

"Last week, you and I exchanged some blows. We exchanged some punches and I have to admit...I kinda liked it. OOOWWW! I understand that this business is not all about coming out of it with a clean pair of tights. I am willing to get down and dirty in the ring with you as shown by the Nature Boy. They don't call him the dirtiest player in the game for nothing. Tonight, I'm going to show you exactly what I've learned. OOOWWW!"

[...Sting flexes again and heads off to the back...]

Match #1

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/bambambigelow.jpg vs. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/johnnyace.jpg

[As everyone would expect, this was a very short and very dominating performance by Bam Bam Bigelow. The Beast From The East turned down Johnny Ace at every turn and finally dropped him with a big body slam near the corner. He climbed up top -- Top Rope Headbutt! He makes the cover: 1 -- 2 -- 3!]

Winner: Bam Bam Bigelow (Via Pinfall @ 1:51)

Match Rating: D+

[The focus turns down to the interview set where the announcers bring out the man who accepted Lex Luger's open challenge for Fall Brawl...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/tommyrich.jpg

[...'Wildfire' Tommy Rich gets a lackluster ovation from the crowd as he comes out, shaking hands with the fans before heading over to the interview area...]

Tommy Rich

"Lex Luger, in just a couple of weeks you and I are going to do battle for that United States title of yours. I am proud to say that I will be bringing that belt back to the south where it belongs! Everyone here knows that the south is the best part of the United States! When we step into the ring, there's gonna be a wild fire and I'm gonna walk away with the title."

[...The crowd here in the Great Lakes didn't much care for his words about the south being the best. Could you blame them? Rich turned and walked away as we headed back to the ring...]

Match #2

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/billirwin2.jpg vs. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/SteveWilliams2.jpg

[Another pretty short and dominating performance by a top notch wrestler. Dr. Death took 'Wild' Bill Irwin to task with several power moves, including a press slam to the mat and a hard elbow drop. Williams nailed Irwin with the Oklahoma Stampede and made the cover: 1 -- 2 -- 3!]

Winner: Steve Williams (Via Pinfall @ 3:03)

Match Rating: D+

[The spotlight shone on the interview set just off where the fans are seated. As the announcers began talking they were soon joined...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/ricflairc.jpg

[...by the NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair!...]

Ric Flair

"I won't take up too much of your time right now. I just wanted to mention the upcoming NWA Pay-Per-View Fall Brawl. Whoooo! In just a couple of weeks, I will be teaming with the Stinger to face two men who will have to walk that aisle in Terry Funk and the Great Muta. Funk, Muta neither of you have any idea what it's like to walk in my alligator shoes. You have no idea what it's like to wear these custom made clothes. And neither of you will ever again know what it feels like to wear this gold around your waist. Whooo."

[...Ric turns and heads toward the ring for his match tonight.]

Match #3

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/ripmorgan.jpg vs. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/ricflairc.jpg

Non Title

Rip Morgan vs. Ric Flair

[Rip Morgan was already waiting in the ring, getting the crowd to boo him. Flair entered the ring and went right after the larger wrestler! Flair backed him in a corner and turned his chest red with hard knife edge chops! The crowd chanted 'Whoooo' with every chop that blistered Morgan's chest. This wasn't a complete domination by Flair, though. Rip used his size and power to make a short comeback on the Nature Boy, complete with tossing him over the top rope while the referee wasn't looking. Flair got back up though and managed to trip Morgan, knocking his knee into the ring post! Flair slid back into the ring and hit a hard knee drop on Morgan, following it up with a Figure 4 Leglock! It didn't take long for Morgan to submit.]

Winner: Ric Flair (Via Submission @ 6:23)

Match Rating: C+

[...Ric got to his feet and raised his arms in the air in victory! He turned to exit when he was blindsided by a punch!...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/terryfunk2.jpg

[...Terry Funk entered the ring and began exchanging punches and chops with Flair! Terry went to the eyes and tripped Flair! Funk locked on the Funk Spinning Toehold! Flair cried out in pain for about a minute before security entered the ring to break things up.]

[As Terry Funk left the ring, three people came down to the interview area to turn the focus down there...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/missyhyatt.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/RickSteiner3.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/ScottSteiner22.jpg

[...Missy Hyatt led the number one contenders to the NWA World Tag Team Titles down to the interview area. The crowd was definitely appreciative at seeing them...]

Missy Hyatt

"NWA fans and especially the Fabulous Freebirds, take a good look at the first lady of professional wrestling. I'm down here with the two men who at the end of the month will be sporting tag team gold: Rick and Scott Steiner. Gentlemen, tell them about it."

Rick Steiner

"Woof! Woof! Woof! Freebirds!"

Scott Steiner

"I think you said a mouthful, brother!"

[...Scott pats his brother on the back and we head to the ring...]

Match #4

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/mikerotundo.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/kevinsullivan.jpg w/ http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/woman3.jpg vs. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/animal3.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/hawk3.jpg w/ http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/paulellering.jpg

Varsity Club vs. Road Warriors

[Woman brought down the Varsity Club members to the ring, while Paul Ellering stood in the corner of the Road Warriors. Both Rotundo and Sullivan tried some quick amateur wrestling moves early on against the Road Warriors but there was no selling on the part of Hawk and Animal. The Road Warriors used their strength to their advantage throughout this match, getting the crowd really into it. The Varisty Club did have a short advantage in the match, using some interference by Woman. But then out came former Varsity Club member Steve Williams! Dr. Death threatened Woman, making her back up from him and Rotundo came out to brawl with Williams! This left Kevin Sullivan all alone within the ring. Animal lifted him up on his shoulders and tagged in Hawk, who went to the top turnbuckle -- Doomsday Device! Sullivan did a full midair 360 and then went splat on the mat. Hawk made the cover: 1 -- 2 -- 3!]

Winners: Road Warriors (Via Pinfall @ 4:04)

Match Rating: C+

[...As Steve Williams and Mike Rotundo brawled up the aisle, two men ran past them and entered the ring...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/samu5.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/fatu7.jpg

[...The Wild Samoans began brawling with the Road Warriors in the center of the ring! Samu and Hawk and Fatu and Animal split off together as both sides threw punches and clotheslines! Neither side really gained a distinct advantage until Hawk was sent over the top rope by a Samu clothesline! Samu joined Fatu in an attack on Animal, taking him down with a double headbutt! The Wild Samoans stood tall, slightly avenging an attack by the Road Warriors last June at the Clash of the Champions!]

[The focus turned back toward the interview area where one figure was standing alone...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/bobcaudle.jpg

[...Bob Caudle had a microphone in hand...]

Bob Caudle

"I hope you have all been enjoying the NWA wrestling action so far here at World Championship Wrestling! Tonight, we are going to be bringing you a major surprise here as we are going to have the return of a former NWA World Champion during this interview segment. It is my distinct honor and pleasure to welcome this man out to speak with me..."

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/rickysteamboat2.jpg

"Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat!"

[...The crowd went crazy as Ricky Steamboat came out from the back. He slapped some fans high fives and then headed over, shaking hands with Bob Caudle...]

Ricky Steamboat

"Bob, thank you for having me this evening."

Bob Caudle

"Thank you for being here and welcome back to the NWA."

Ricky Steamboat

"Thank you, Bob. You know, the last time that I was here in the NWA and had a match of note I was facing off against the man known as The Total Package Lex Luger. Lex, you beat me but you didn't pin me and you didn't make me submit. You didn't even knock me out for a ten count but I seem to recall knocking you out. I'm sure you remember that, Lex. Well, now that I am back here in the NWA, the challenge is on to face the winner of your match with Tommy Rich for the NWA United States title. We'll see just how truly good you are when you're under the heat of a Dragon."

[...Ricky flashed a smile to Bob and waved to the fans before turning and heading backstage again...]

Match #5

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/jimmygarvin.jpg vs. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/RickSteiner3.jpg w/ http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/missyhyatt.jpg

[A definite open match here between two top tag team wrestlers as we prepare for the upcoming Fall Brawl. Rick started off the match with some mind games, dropping on all fours and chasing Garvin around the ring! Garvin cowered in a corner and Rick bit him on the hip! Referee Bill Alfonso pulled Steiner back and this gave Garvin an opening to hit a big stomp on Rick Steiner's head! Garvin went into complete control during the next couple of minutes, focusing his attack on the head and neck area of Rick Steiner, including dropping him with a brainbuster suplex in the center of the ring! Garvin made a quick cover: 1 -- 2 -- shoulder up!...]

[...Garvin continued his attack until he went for the DDT on Steiner but Steiner held onto the ropes, sending Garvin down to the mat. Steiner lifted Garvin and caught him with a hard belly-to-belly suplex! As Steiner gained more and more momentum, Michael Hayes came down to ringside. Steiner body slammed Garvin and then headed for the top turnbuckle where Michael Hayes jumped on the apron. A push and shove contest between Steiner and Hayes ended when Steiner was knocked onto the mat and the referee called for the immediate dairy queen!]

Winner: Rick Steiner (Via Disqualification @ 5:54)

Match Rating: C

[As the crowd booed the Fabulous Freebirds in the ring, they were given another reason to boo as two men came out that the fans really don't like...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/garyhart.jpghttp://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/terryfunk2.jpg

[...Gary Hart and Terry Funk moved to the interview area with Hart snatching a microphone away from Jim Ross...]

Gary Hart

"Sting, tonight, Mr. Funk is looking forward to stepping inside the ring with you. You see, J-Tex Corporation is looking to increase our wealth and increasing that wealth and value comes at a price. We have to beat our opponents into the mat so that they cannot get up again. But Mr. Funk here is willing to pay that price. He is willing to pay the price for power. Are you? Obviously not. You listen to all these fans and all these idiots sitting around ringside. You should be listening to a man like me. I am the greatest manager in the history of professional wrestling. I am the man with more knowledge than Webster's. Tonight, Mr. Funk is going to use that knowledge to beat you right down into the mat, Sting. Enjoy the beating."

[...Gary pats Terry Funk on the shoulder and then they head to the ring because our main event is next!...]

Match #6

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/terryfunk2.jpg w/ http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/garyhart.jpg vs. http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/sting4.jpg

Non Title

Terry Funk vs. Sting

[What a great match to end the show with as there was great wrestling and a sizzling crowd! Sting came running down to the ring, passing Gary Hart along the way to enter inside. Funk came right at him and the two men exchanged punches in the center of the ring! Sting gained some momentum through the crowd and managed to lift Terry Funk in a press slam and bring him down to the mat hard on his back! Sting beat his chest and released a howl that brought the crowd to their feet! Funk moved to his feet in a corner, conversing with Gary Hart for a moment. He moved back in toward Sting and raised his hand, daring Sting into a test of strength! Sting looked to the crowd for a moment and then raised his hand toward Funk's. As soon as their hands were locked, Funk kicked Sting in the ribs and then knocked him back in the corner...]

[...Funk continued the attack for several minutes, turning his attention to the leg of Sting in a set up for that Funk Spinning Toehold! Funk stomped on the leg of Sting and then brought a forearm down hard upon that leg. Funk brought Sting outside the ring and smashed him against the guardrail! The crowd booed Funk and yelled at him from ringside as he whipped a limping Sting into the ringsteps knee-first! Funk threatened a fan at ringside and then moved back over to Sting, tossing him back inside the ring. Funk moved to Sting and set him up for the Funk Spinning Toehold but Sting reversed it into an inside cradle: 1 -- 2 -- kickout!...]

[...Funk had barely kicked out of the inside cradle but he stayed on the attack. That is until he whipped Sting into a corner and tried to follow him in with the corner clothesline. Sting moved out of the way and Funk hit chest-first! Sting turned and began throwing punches while limping on that hurting leg. He used the turnbuckle to maintain his footing when he body slammed Funk! Sting grabbed his knee afterward, though, in obvious pain. Gary Hart made a motion at ringside and out from the back came The Great Muta to ringside! Sting continued on the attack on Funk, though, sending him into the corner and then bouncing off, dropping Funk with a one handed bulldog! Sting got up and howled for the crowd again though he was still limping. The Great Muta leaped onto the apron and Sting saw him! Sting turned his attention to Muta for a moment and Funk recovered behind him. Funk came in with a hard forearm shot to the back of Sting and then grabbed his arms, holding him as Muta looked toward the sky. Muta brought his head back and -- Asian Mist! But Sting ducked! Terry Funk took the Asian Mist to the eyes! Sting knocked Funk into a corner and punched a stunned Muta off the apron! Sting backed up and then charged Funk -- Stinger Splash! Funk falls forward to the mat and Sting grabs his legs -- Scorpion Deathlock! Sting wrenches his finisher on Terry Funk! Funk fights for nearly two minutes before he has to give up or risk early retirement!]

Winner: Sting (Via Submission @ 11:37)

Match Rating: B

[...Sting released the hold after Funk gave up and released a howl to the crowd! He looked down at ringside for a moment...]

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/NWA/greatmuta.jpg

[...The Great Muta stared up at him in the ring. The two men locked eyes and the show ended with a staredown between Sting and Muta. What a way to end the show!]

This time one person did get a perfect score of 11/11! Congratulations to MattitudeV2!

Leader

1. BHK1978=18 Wins

2. Lexa90=17 Wins

MattitudeV2=17 Wins

4. jhd1=16 Wins

5. Huntman=14 Wins

6. Bigpapa42=10 Wins

7. smurphy1014=9 Wins

Thanks again to everyone who's predicted so far! The predictions and comments really do help make this diary fun and worthwhile!

And a special thank you to all of the real world picture cutters and designers. They really do help each and every diary look that much more authentic!

NWA POWER HOUR*

Thursday Week 3 September 1989

The Wild Samoans vs. Dynamic Dudes

Buzz Sawyer vs. Eddie Gilbert

Scott Hall vs. Jason Knight

Bob Orton vs. Ole Anderson

Saturday Week 3 September 1989

Nitron vs. Junkyard Dog

The Great Muta vs. Flyin Brian

Buzz Sawyer vs. Sting

Samu vs. Road Warrior Animal

Terry Funk vs. Ricky Steamboat

NWA POWER HOUR*

Nitron vs. Junkyard Dog

Buzz Sawyer vs. Sting

NWA POWER HOUR*

Nitron vs. Junkyard Dog

Buzz Sawyer vs. Sting

I'm a WWF/E man through and through, but I'll give this a whirl.

NWA POWER HOUR*

Nitron vs. Junkyard Dog

Buzz Sawyer vs. Sting

Terry Funk vs. Ricky Steamboat - Draw

NWA POWER HOUR*

Nitron vs. Junkyard Dog

Buzz Sawyer vs. Sting

I'm a WWF/E man through and through, but I'll give this a whirl.

Good to have you on board. I was really torn between going with the NWA and the WWF on this project but in the end the NWA won out because of what I am looking to do with this project behind the scenes. It makes a little more sense for where my user character is coming from. But do expect to see a lot of guys that you might know from the WWF as well, depending on how things go there. It's hard to remain as a Global promotion after all so when WWF finally falls I will be there to pick up the pieces. :D

Archived