Official NBA Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

So, all looking forward to tonight's opening games? I've kinda drifted out of touch over the last year or two but am hyped for this... got the free trial of NBA League Pass and will probably end up getting the season long deal although I can see that screwing up sleep cycles pretty badly.

Go Celtics tonight!

Just wondering how big is the NBA over in the U.K.? Is it our biggest sport over there?

Just wondering how big is the NBA over in the U.K.? Is it our biggest sport over there?

I'd still say it was light years more popular than baseball and ice hockey, but while 10 years ago I would have said it was far more popular than American football, NFL has been picking up a lot of fans recently and may well have overtaken basketball. It doesn't help that you need ESPN to watch it over here now, whereas I think NFL is shown on Sky Sports AND terrestrial channel 4.

Awesome game so far, by the way! :)

I'd still say it was light years more popular than baseball and ice hockey, but while 10 years ago I would have said it was far more popular than American football, NFL has been picking up a lot of fans recently and may well have overtaken basketball. It doesn't help that you need ESPN to watch it over here now, whereas I think NFL is shown on Sky Sports AND terrestrial channel 4.

Awesome game so far, by the way! :)

Was a great game! However, once the Heat get used to playing with each other (not meant as a pun, everyone get their minds out of the gutter), I think they will live up to the hype.

The NFL is on channel 4? Wow I would not think they would be on such a big channel over there. I just did not think people in England would have enough interest in the NFL to have it on channel 4.

The Suns played well but I doubt they will contend in the west. I don't blame Steve Nash for being frustrated about his team. I mean at one point the Suns were contenders and now there is a high chance they will be a lottery team. I thought the owner of the Clippers was bad but Robert Sarver is just as bad. I mean I can sort of understand letting Amare walk but to replace him with Turkoglu, Warrick, and Channing Frye is terrible. Hopefully Nash and maybe Hill can get traded to a contender. I would like to see both of them win a title.

The Suns played well but I doubt they will contend in the west. I don't blame Steve Nash for being frustrated about his team. I mean at one point the Suns were contenders and now there is a high chance they will be a lottery team. I thought the owner of the Clippers was bad but Robert Sarver is just as bad. I mean I can sort of understand letting Amare walk but to replace him with Turkoglu, Warrick, and Channing Frye is terrible. Hopefully Nash and maybe Hill can get traded to a contender. I would like to see both of them win a title.

Meh. Steve signed a huge extension in 09. If he was really bothered by his situation he could've opted out then.

And everyone thought the Suns were a lottery team last year and they ended up in the Western Finals.

As for losing Amare? That offense turned guys like Leandro Barbosa and Boris Diaw into scoring machines ...if Hedo has anything at all left in the tank he'll be a great fit and Warrick and Frye will both be consistent double digit scorers by the end of the season. Continued improvement by Dragic and Childress....

Listen, they're not title contenders because they're front line is so small, but depending on the match-ups they could be back in the Western Finals as long as Nash and JRich stay healthy.

Meh. Steve signed a huge extension in 09. If he was really bothered by his situation he could've opted out then.

And everyone thought the Suns were a lottery team last year and they ended up in the Western Finals.

As for losing Amare? That offense turned guys like Leandro Barbosa and Boris Diaw into scoring machines ...if Hedo has anything at all left in the tank he'll be a great fit and Warrick and Frye will both be consistent double digit scorers by the end of the season. Continued improvement by Dragic and Childress....

Listen, they're not title contenders because they're front line is so small, but depending on the match-ups they could be back in the Western Finals as long as Nash and JRich stay healthy.

I agree, you can never count out a PG who can get his offense going. Chris Paul hasn't ever had the greatest team, but he has lead the Hornets to the playoffs.

In the Finals, we found out Rondo can't shoot. So instead of really working on his jumpshot, he decides to become an assist machine.

Interesting.

I don't know that we found out he can't shoot. I think we found out that when the "Big 3" aren't delivering consistently they look to him for big plays and he fell short a few times, mind you whilst going up against one of the better defensive sides. He's still relatively young, a good mid range jumper probably won't be far off in his arsenal I think.

And 24 assists :eek:

I don't know that we found out he can't shoot. I think we found out that when the "Big 3" aren't delivering consistently they look to him for big plays and he fell short a few times, going up against one of the better defensive sides. He's still relatively young, a good mid range jumper probably won't be far off in his arsenal I think.

And 24 assists :eek:

If you watch that series, the Lakers played well off of Rondo, daring him to take 18-25 footers. He couldn't/wouldn't. If he can get a decent jumper, he'll be a nightmare. Just something that makes defenders stay honest on him on the outside.

On another note, I watched a Cavs preseason game 2 weeks ago, and JJ Hickson looked amazing.

In the Finals, we found out Rondo can't shoot. So instead of really working on his jumpshot, he decides to become an assist machine.

Interesting.

Didn't everyone find this out in 2008 when he went completely unguarded for most of the post-season and still wouldn't take 15 footers? I guess we found out he still can't shoot.

Didn't everyone find this out in 2008 when he went completely unguarded for most of the post-season and still wouldn't take 15 footers? I guess we found out he still can't shoot.

Does it really matter though? If he can find guys open and create offense by driving the lane, does not having that jumpshot yet matter?

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g55/Costnaza9/dont-feed-the-troll.jpg;)

Are you really insinuating I'm a troll or am I misreading something here?

I mean it's not like I said this:

This Rondo fellow is pretty good. 18 rebounds, 29 points and 13 assists? Wow.

Five months ago in this very thread.

Look, I'm not saying I don't think Rondo is good. I'm just saying if he can add that one more element to his game, it moves him to another level as a player.

Yeah definitely. If he could shoot, he'd be an MVP candidate the same way Steve Nash was: I mean he's already a better defender and rebounder than Nash. The only difference is you have to guard Nash on the outside or he can make you pay.

In a lot of instances, it doesn't matter though. Even when teams back off him, he can still drive past defenders and create shots for Pierce and Allen. Even in the playoffs, he carried that team on his back because he ate up opposing PGs.

On this team..right now..he's a top 5 PG in the league.

When those two leave, that's when his lack of an outside shot is going to really hurt him. Until then, Rondo is a killer and the best player on that team.

In a lot of instances, it doesn't matter though. Even when teams back off him, he can still drive past defenders and create shots for Pierce and Allen. Even in the playoffs, he carried that team on his back because he ate up opposing PGs.

On this team..right now..he's a top 5 PG in the league.

When those two leave, that's when his lack of an outside shot is going to really hurt him. Until then, Rondo is a killer and the best player on that team.

The flip-side is that if Rondo had a better shot he probably wouldn't be able to put up monster 24 assist games any more, but yeah there's no doubt he's already a top PG. All I'm saying is if he could score more efficiently, he would be in the running for MVP. As it is, he's probably the best passing/defensive point guard since Jason Kidd 12 years ago.

I dont think we can say Rondo is great because he had 24 assist in one game. Hell Chris Duhon had 20 plus assist one night for the Knicks two years ago. I think Rondo is a talented player who is getting better, but I would like to see him a little more this season before I say he is this type of PG.