World Championship Wrestling 2002: Rebuilding the Empire

The only man I like is the Glamazon, simply because she is not the timid bottle blond that the others seem to be.

Freudian slip? :D

But yeah - individuality is a big thing in wrestling. Ideally, you want everyone to have their own clear and understood character, but trying to establish that right off the bat with an entire division is going to be tricky.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoping to have September done and posted later today. Once again, its actually having to book everything in the game which is slowing me down :-)

...Ugh.

Sorry, but that truly is my gut reaction. Introducing a women's division in a minor brand as a shot at your own major brand?

It's booking for smarks. It'd essentially be Heyman putting his old stuff over his new stuff, thus kicking WCW's brand in the teeth just as it's re-establishing.

If I do bring the women onto the ECW brand at first, it wouldn't be as a way to put over the brand, in that sense. I'm trying to avoid the idea of "competition" between the main WCW brand and the ECW secondary brand to avoid the kind of situation you mean, PS. Although I haven't detailed it much yet, I do have Raven on the ECW brand taking shots at WCW but its mainly out of anger at ECW's new role - he was picked specifically because of his history with both WCW and ECW. Beyond that, its not territory I want to get into much.

Can't say I'm a fan of female wrestling, but I think if you are to bring it back it should be on your B show at least for awhile.

I've decided on nothing yet, to be honest. But if I do bring in the womenz and I do use ECW, it wouldn't be using a full division in ECW. I wouldn't have a title and so on. More of just a few storylines before they find a reason to transition things onto one of the WCW shows.

I think I also agree with with Phantom that they shouldn't debut on ECW. He makes good points about how it would appear to the casual fan, which is the base you're looking for since they're more numerous than the hardcore fan or us, and they're the ones shelling out the greenbacks.

Edit: I just realised something. You could give Full Throttle Wrestling Tazz's old championship from ECW, the FTW Championship. :D

I don't the sense that PS is saying the women shouldn't be used on ECW, but moreso that they should be used carefully. Not to get "too smarky" in the booking. Which I agree with. Unless I'm reading him wrong...?

I hadn't really though of the FTW title to be honest. Could be interesting, though I'd be more inclined to do something with it if I could bring in Tazz (he's still with the WWE). Also, Given that my developmental territory is FTW, that could cause some confusion....

In terms of a ladies division in WCW... firstly, NWA-WCW has some roots (Excuse the pun) in ladies wrestling. So it's not completely out of place. The main point though I would make is any division can be useful to a promotion set up like WCW provided they have diversity. The reason I actually like TNA's division, or at least have in the past, is because their 'gimmicks' and set ups are fundamentally diverse. Instead of bottle blonds at every turn, they had ODB with the hip flask, they had Amazing Kong enough said, they had the stereotypical Beautiful People, the wild Daffney etc. What that Knock-Out roster did for me was create different storylines due to the different perspectives. When I watch WWE, I figure I'm watching whoever they're trying to grease up for a playboy centrefold shoot, rather than a certifiably different character. The only man I like is the Glamazon, simply because she is not the timid bottle blond that the others seem to be.

I think it can work, particularly with your creative mind making interesting characters, and I'm sure you also have the audacity to finally make a well integrated divas division that can give new swerves and twists in storyline arcs. I'm all for it. I don't see it as NOT being WCW as there has been female wrestling in WCW... I also don't see WCW as not being a promotion that would go for 'difference'. Whether they imitated what ECW was doing, or whether they cultivated their own style, the lucha division in WCW was not really what you'd call a traditional style of theirs and it became a cornerstone that is often imitated, but never duplicated. WCW was always a promotion looking for a cutting competitive edge.

Building the diversity of WCW is a key to the whole idea. Glad you see where I'm coming from with it. The connnection to WCW bringing in the cruisers was actually part of the motivation for this in the first place. And yeah, the idea would be to give the ladies actual personalities. That is perhaps my greatest issue with the Divas division in recent years, and a key reason that the Knockouts division is much better in my opinion.

Freudian slip? :D

But yeah - individuality is a big thing in wrestling. Ideally, you want everyone to have their own clear and understood character, but trying to establish that right off the bat with an entire division is going to be tricky.

Yeah, it won't be easy. Which is a big reason I wouldn't want to add a dozen women all at once. A gradual process makes more sense and allows for more development in terms of characters.

I don't the sense that PS is saying the women shouldn't be used on ECW, but moreso that they should be used carefully. Not to get "too smarky" in the booking. Which I agree with. Unless I'm reading him wrong...?

I was reacting to the specific idea of using ECW's rep to introduce the women by a) taking shots at WCW that only serve to confuse casual fans or devalue the WCW brand in their eyes and then b) having WCW 'steal' from a company that's now known to be part of it as a reference only smarks would get.

And, admittedly, to the book-for-smarks attitude inherent in that idea.

I think you have me mostly right.

World Championship Wrestling

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WCW/Logos/Small/WCWSmall.jpg

September 2002

Traditional professional wrestling booking logic dictates that stipulation (or gimmick) matches are typically feud-enders. The idea being that after a series of “regular” matches, a stipulation is necessary to find an adequate conclusion to the feud. The use of stipulation matches simply for the sake of using them is usually looked upon as weak or sloppy booking (see Russo, Vince). The biggest stipulation matches are usually reserved for the biggest feuds. World Championship Wrestling's War Games match qualifies under “big” when it comes to stipulation matches, yet its not really a feud-ender. Its a way to unify the varying feuds between two factions – often the Four Horsemen, and later the New World Order – but not really ending those feuds. Leave it to Paul Heyman to change things up. With a War Games match on the slate for the September Fall Brawl pay per view, Heyman used the match not to unify the individual feuds between two warring factions, but to unify the factions themselves.

The genesis of Ric Flair reforming the Four Horsemen happened in March of 2002. It took months before he had picked the trio who would join him. Once the most revered stable in professional wrestling history did reform, it proceeded to thrill fans by doing... nothing. That is not entirely true, as they partied and they lived it up to no end. But coming into September, there was little focus on the task at hand and the task which had brought this new group of Horsemen together in the first place – opposing Paul Heyman's “Dangerous Alliance”. Sting tried to remind Flair of that in late August, and Goldberg attempted the same backstage on the first Nitro of September. Flair did not take kindly to it, getting in Goldberg's face and telling him that by turning down his chance to join the Horsemen, he lost his chance to worry about their business, woo! It made for a tense moment. The Dangerous Alliance officially became the Four Horsemen's business later that show when Commission Miller confirmed that the Four Horsemen would face the Dangerous Alliance in the War Games at Fall Brawl.

With the match being five-versus-five, the question for both was who would be the five. The Four Horsemen were, well, a foursome, and unlike the JJ Dillon days, Stacy Kiebler was not going to step into the double-cage to be the fifth for her side. So in the weeks leading up to the pay per view, Flair and Guerrero looked for a fifth. They received offers from the likes of Shawn Michaels, Rob Van Dam, Goldberg, and even Booker T. HBK and RVD were both clearly told by Flair that neither were not trusted. Goldberg was once again told, in no uncertain terms, to mind his owned damned business, woo! On the opposite side, it seemed certain that Paul Heyman would join his undermanned Dangerous Alliance with Torrie Wilson's Kronik trio. But it was strongly hinted at that Heyman had some discussions with Booker T, who instead chose to face Goldberg. Kronik kept themselves busy by antagonizing the WCW World Tag Team champions, The Triad duo. The rejected duo of Michaels and Van Dam continued to press Commissioner Miller, each wanting a shot a Brock Lesnar's world title, but they were simply told they would have to “prove themselves”. On the final Nitro prior to the pay per view, Ric Flair chose the fifth for his team in the War Games match... Sting. It was a predictable choice, but it made sense, given Sting's history with and against the Horsemen, plus the wakeup call he had given Flair just weeks prior.

Although the War Games main event was the obvious featured attraction of the Fall Brawl pay per view, it was not the only match of interest. WCW Cruiserweight champion AJ Styles had been engaged in a back and forth feud with Jushin Lyger in the weeks leading up, setting up an intriguing cruiserweight match for the pay per view. Diamond Dallas Page and Kanyon wanted a chance at revenge against Kronik, but due to the War Games match, they had to content themselves against surprise opponents. After being mocked for several weeks by Shane Douglas, Rey Mysterio demanded a match, putting his US title on the line. In a rather random match added at the last moment, Commissioner Cat apparently got tired of being “harassed” by Shawn Michaels and Rob Van Dam, as both seemed to corner the WCW Commissioner each week and restate their individual desire to face Brock Lesnar. As the Commissioner put it, since they seemed to “work so well as a team”, they could try the same in the wrestling ring and face the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team champions at Fall Brawl.

The Mysterio-Douglas match kicked off the pay per view, and it turned out to be a solid match that saw Mysterio defend his United States title once again. The Cruiserweight championship match followed it, and Styles and Lyger put on a back and forth match that kept the fans interested. Styles took the win after a Styles Clash, receiving a handshake from the cruiserweight legend after the match. The WCW Tag Team titles were on the line next, as Triad had to face an unknown team, which turned out to be the “new” Filthy Animals, Billy Kidman and Juventud Guerrera. The champions continued the trend as they retained after a decent match. Next on the slate was HBK & RVD taking on Chavo & Knoble, and on paper, the Cruiserweight Tag Team champions were at a severe disadvantage. Yet it turned out to be a length, open match because the heel team were more than happy to cheat in every possible but also because Michaels and Van Dam were not on the same page throughout the match. Although they had earned each other's respect, the men were not really friends and it showed in the match, where it almost appeared at times like one might turn on the other. They did manage to prevail after a huge Five Star Frog Splash from RVD. The semi main event pretty much stole the show as Booker T and Goldberg put on a great back and forth match that exceeded most expectations. Goldberg took the victory, but he battled hard to earn it.

The main event was a stark contrast between the two teams. Having lacked focus for awhile, the Four Horsemen and Sting did not lack focus or direction in this match. They all worked together and had a clear plan of attack. Conversely, Heyman's team looked out of sorts for much of the match. The Horsemen team actually won the coin toss, and seemed to have a plan for every possibility. Lance Storm was chosen to start, and he faced off against Sean O'Haire. As time ticked away and more wrestlers entered, it became clear that the Horsemen's plan was to inflict as much damage as possible on each member of the Alliance, under the correct assumption that Lesnar would come in last. The Alliance had several arguments outside the cage throughout the match, trying to decide who should go in next. Paul Heyman and Torrie Wilson should orders, often conflicting, and generally got in each other's way. On the other side, Arn Anderson and Stacy Kiebler watched calmly and let the wrestlers do the work. With the continual man advantage, the Horsemen controlled much of the action. Eddie Guerrero, who went in third for his team, was particularly effective as he found innovative ways to use the cage. When the WCW World Heavyweight champion was unleashed into the cage, he was like hell unchained. He decimated the four worn-down members of the Horsemen team in short order, but his own teammates were of little help. Then Flair, the freshest of the Horsemen, moved around behind the champion and knelt down, allowing Awesome to push Lesnar over in old schoolboy fashion. All five members of the team descended upon him, attacking with stomps and kick. They were trying to take the young champion out. Flair tried to set up the Figure Four, but Sean O'Haire came diving over, bloodied but not yet beaten. With the Horsemen focusing on Lesnar, the rest of his team had a chance to recover and got involved in the match again. After looking to be in favor of the fan favorites, everything was wide open again. Sting delivered a big Stinger Splash to Lesnar, but the big man no sold it and hit a huge, ring-rattling spinebuster. With all ten men battling again, the war raged back and forth. Guerrero traded submission attempts with Steiner, with the smaller "Latino Heat" pulling out all his little tricks. Awesome and O'Haire threw bombs at each other. Lesnar got Storm locked into his Death Clutch hold. Guerrero noticed and leaped across the two rings to throw himself into the champion, but it was too late... Lance Storm was unconscious. WCW Head Referee Nick Patrick called the match. There was post-match arguments from the Horsemen, who asserted that Storm have never submitted so therefore the match should not have ended. It mattered not, as the Dangerous Alliance were declared the winners once again.

Despite the loss, War Games was very much a win overall for the Four Horsemen. It re-established them as a force within World Championship Wrestling. The image of Eddie Guerrero leaping across the ring to throw himself into Brock Lesnar to break up the Death Clutch became a defining image for this lineup of the Horsemen. As for Paul Heyman and his Dangerous Alliance, the lack of unity looked to bring to an end a year of co-conspiracy with Torrie Wilson's group, despite the victory. Instead, on the final Nitro of the month, Heyman asked Wilson to join her trio with the Alliance. She obviously accepted. It created a stronger - numerically, at least - Dangerous Alliance than every before. Heyman apparently felt that with the dominant champion Lesnar, everything would work out and that numbers were more important than teamwork and unity.

Things continued to move forward on ECW Warfare. Team No Fear surprisingly lost the ECW Tag Team championships to the tandem of Christopher Daniels and James Keenan, thanks to some serious interference from Raven. The switch surprised many, as Samoa Joe and Low Ki were definitely getting over with the fans while Daniels and Keenan were talented but basically lackies. Joe got his revenge just weeks later as he cleanly pinned Raven, winning the ECW Championship. This switch was even more of a surprise and it elevated Joe quite a notably. Raven had been feuding with Kensuke Sasaki in the weeks prior, and the Japanese veteran looked set to win the ECW Championship at some point. Raven and Foley apparently decided to make the switch to Joe to capitalize on his rapidly-growing popularity. Sasaki, on the other hand, was adored by certain segments of the ECW fans for his hard-hitting style but his lack of English was still seen as limiting. The new Samoan ECW champion was a unique blend of size, athleticism, daring, stiff strikes, and submission skills. He was clearly a rising star and an easy pick to be the first member of the ECW roster to be elevated to the WCW roster.

World Championship Wrestling lost a long-time star late in the month. The contract of Lex Luger was coming to an end and Paul Heyman saw no reason to resign the 44-year. Eric Bischoff apparently agreed and no attempt was made to resign the veteran. The two-time WCW World champion had grown increasingly limited in the ring in recent months. His little remaining name value and a sense of connection to WCW's past had kept him employed and on-screen but that could only carry Luger so far and for so long. The loss was doubled when Buff Bagwell reportedly “went ballistic” backstage when he found out about his friend Luger. Showing the massive arrogance that had seen him in trouble a few times, Bagwell apparently went directly to Heyman and demanded that either Luger was resigned or Bagwell was walking out the door. One has to wonder if Heyman managed to suppress a grin when he handed Bagwell his walking papers....

On the WWE side, the fans who felt that the World championship match between Edge and Hulk Hogan should have been the main event of SummerSlam saw it headline the Unforgiven pay per view. Unfortunately, the match failed to live up to its predecessor in terms of quality. To make matters worse, the semi main event saw Triple H put over Kevin Nash in a shockingly good match that was full of drama and near-falls. Convinced that the pair of politicians had intentionally tried to outshine the main event, Hogan was livid according to some reports. There is a certain irony to the master politician Hogan finding himself continually outmaneuvered. If Edge had such concerns, he kept them to himself, likely realizing he had won the world title in the first place by befriending The Kliq. As 2002 headed toward its conclusion, the backstage environment of World Wrestling Entertainment remained as volatile and prickly as ever. It must have made Vince McMahon gleeful.

Fans were clamoring to see Lesnar vs Rob Van Dam for the first time or a rematch between Lesnar and Shawn Michaels. Yet Goldberg appeared to best situated for a title challenge at Halloween Havoc. It would not happen. What did happen was not something that anyone really expected....

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WCW/PPV/WCW/WCWFallBrawl4.jpg

WCW Fall Brawl 2002

Rey Mysterio Jr. © d. Shane Douglas for the WCW United States Championship

AJ Styles © d. Jushin Lyger for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship

The Triad © d. The New Filthy Animals for the WCW World Tag Team Championships

Shawn Michaels & Rob Van Dam d. Jamie Knoble & Chavo Guerrero

Goldberg d. Booker T

The Dangerous Alliance (Brock Lesnar, Scott Steiner, Sean O'Haire, Bryan Adams & Brian Clark) d. The Four Horsemen (Ric Flair, Eddie Guerrero, Lance Storm, Mike Awesome & Sting) in War Games

World Championship Wrestling

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/WCW/Logos/Small/WCWSmall.jpg

September 2002

This... was strange. United States opening the match-up? Michaels and RVD facing the cruiserweight tag champs and Guerrera and Kidman facing the world tag champs? Just how good was the semi-main event of Booker and Goldberg, why didn't Sting put up any struggle concerning Lex, what is Heyman up to with the unification of Kronik and the Dangerous Alliance, and where will Buff and Lex go? When will we ever see the Television Championship return?

Onto WWF.How messed up is the situation over there in terms of championships and such? How is Edge handling the situation? What is with Triple H and Nash? Where is Austin, Jericho and the Rock? Where are the Radicalz? Where is the Undertaker, where is Kane?

It's the little things that matter. And I especially liked how you described two spots in the War-Games match. Eddie's desperate attempt to save Storm, and the way Ric Flair corelled the Horsemen into a bit of the old 'dirtiest playa in the game' routine to take down Brock Lesnar.

Again, loved how you described the WWE situation and how and why the matches were the way they were.

It's definitely a sign of the times that Lex Luger has moved on. Sadly, WCW never really took advantage of the massive babyface pop he was getting in the middle of 1997. The guy was uber-hot from a huge night out at Uncensored, where he nearly cleared out the nWo with the Torture Rack when his team was already decimated and destroyed. I actually liked the booking of that match, and how it allowed Lex to come through. Then he picked up the WHC, and within a week or two had lost it again. To allow Sting to take over the main event he was scantly dropped back down the card to feud with Buff Bagwell. I don't know... I actually felt for Lex in that respect that despite not being a very solid worker, he was hugely over at the time and for wont of a TEW description his momentum was through the roof. To not capitalise on it really began the beginning of the end for him, and try as they might to give him back some babyface recognition by putting him into the Wolfpac, it was too little too late. From there he became a joke of a heel and that's what he was largely remembered for.

I did like the way you had Styles and Lyger pay each other respect post their match. I really want to see more of Lyger, particularly in a fabled mentoring role in the Cruiserweight Division. You know, a guy that they regularly turn to for advice such is his prestige in the division. Speaking of cruisers, I may have missed it but whereabouts are Sugar Shane Helms and Shannon Moore at these days?

Great work mate. Truly inspiring. The best rendition of WCW I've seen on these boards by a fair way. My only disappointment is that you did this after my time with WCW, as frankly, I would have spooged to steal some of your ideas :D

Excellent. Great write up. Just enough to leave us at the cliff hanger. I hate you sometimes. :p

Yeah, that was a pretty blatant cliff-hanger there.... Hate is probably deserved... :)

This... was strange. United States opening the match-up? Michaels and RVD facing the cruiserweight tag champs and Guerrera and Kidman facing the world tag champs? Just how good was the semi-main event of Booker and Goldberg, why didn't Sting put up any struggle concerning Lex, what is Heyman up to with the unification of Kronik and the Dangerous Alliance, and where will Buff and Lex go? When will we ever see the Television Championship return?

Onto WWF.How messed up is the situation over there in terms of championships and such? How is Edge handling the situation? What is with Triple H and Nash? Where is Austin, Jericho and the Rock? Where are the Radicalz? Where is the Undertaker, where is Kane?

Honestly, the bolded was kind of intended. My original plans for the Fall Brawl card would have been... more compelling as an overall show. I decided to go with a more limited approach - basically, a pay per view where the main event would really be the primary selling point and the rest of the card would be less appealing. Even just switching around the two tag matches would have made two more interesting matches... though there are a number of reasons I went the direction I did, which runs counter to my typical approach of keeping the cruisers facing cruisers. Why make the rest of card more mundane? Pretty much to emphasize the importance of the main event. It also gives me a bit more flexibility going forward...

The US title opener was really just to give the show a solid start, in case the tag matches in the middle bombed a bit (they didn't). The semi main event was quite solid and actually equal in grade to the RVD-HBK vs Knoble-Chavo match. It wasn't a classic or anything, but it was better than I expected.

Would Sting put his friendship with Luger above his own position with WCW? Would he recognize that Luger's time has passed in an evolving WCW? Or maybe he's a month or two away from walking out the door himself in protest....

The WWE isn't that messed up. The Edge world title win was the only title change they've had thus far (in many test sims with this data, none of their titles changed hands through 2002). I've seen plenty of news stories about the negative personalities but I haven't noticed any negative relationships form over it and it doesn't seem to affect a computer promotion quite the same. Austin, Rock, 'Taker, Benoit, Jericho, Kane, and Big Show are right in there with Hogan, Edge, Triple H, Nash, and Hall in the main event scene, all of them main eventing TV shows regularly. Most of them make most PPVs as well, though not always against top opponents. Those last couple of PPVs just happened to be structured in such a way that I could play it up in the narrative.

It's the little things that matter. And I especially liked how you described two spots in the War-Games match. Eddie's desperate attempt to save Storm, and the way Ric Flair corelled the Horsemen into a bit of the old 'dirtiest playa in the game' routine to take down Brock Lesnar.

Again, loved how you described the WWE situation and how and why the matches were the way they were.

It's definitely a sign of the times that Lex Luger has moved on. Sadly, WCW never really took advantage of the massive babyface pop he was getting in the middle of 1997. The guy was uber-hot from a huge night out at Uncensored, where he nearly cleared out the nWo with the Torture Rack when his team was already decimated and destroyed. I actually liked the booking of that match, and how it allowed Lex to come through. Then he picked up the WHC, and within a week or two had lost it again. To allow Sting to take over the main event he was scantly dropped back down the card to feud with Buff Bagwell. I don't know... I actually felt for Lex in that respect that despite not being a very solid worker, he was hugely over at the time and for wont of a TEW description his momentum was through the roof. To not capitalise on it really began the beginning of the end for him, and try as they might to give him back some babyface recognition by putting him into the Wolfpac, it was too little too late. From there he became a joke of a heel and that's what he was largely remembered for.

I did like the way you had Styles and Lyger pay each other respect post their match. I really want to see more of Lyger, particularly in a fabled mentoring role in the Cruiserweight Division. You know, a guy that they regularly turn to for advice such is his prestige in the division. Speaking of cruisers, I may have missed it but whereabouts are Sugar Shane Helms and Shannon Moore at these days?

Great work mate. Truly inspiring. The best rendition of WCW I've seen on these boards by a fair way. My only disappointment is that you did this after my time with WCW, as frankly, I would have spooged to steal some of your ideas :D

Glad you enjoyed. Figured you'd like where I was going with the Horsemen stuff. I ended up putting a bit more detail in the match review than intended, but for good reason.

Luger was a bit of a tough call. He's not absolutely useless in the ring in the data but he was pretty high on the Time Decline list and didn't have the greatest attitude. Not as bad as Buff, but bad enough. I liked the connection to the past he gave, but nostalgia only goes so far. I have a "replacement" in mind...

Shane Helms is in the WWE - it was mentioned in one of the 2001 monthly recaps. I basically mentioned that he took a contract offer from them and was promptly debuted under The Hurricane superhero gimmick, which helped convince a lot of the WCW cruisers the were better off in WCW. Shannon Moore is still there, usually working tag matches with Evan Karagias as 3 Count. A core team in the cruiserweight tag ranks for me. Neither guy has really gotten a singles push yet, due to both talent and the tag experience.

The irony of your last statement, Tristram, is that I really don't think I would have endeavored to take on WCW without having read your WCW works...

Honestly, the bolded was kind of intended. My original plans for the Fall Brawl card would have been... more compelling as an overall show. I decided to go with a more limited approach - basically, a pay per view where the main event would really be the primary selling point and the rest of the card would be less appealing. Even just switching around the two tag matches would have made two more interesting matches... though there are a number of reasons I went the direction I did, which runs counter to my typical approach of keeping the cruisers facing cruisers. Why make the rest of card more mundane? Pretty much to emphasize the importance of the main event. It also gives me a bit more flexibility going forward...

I see. Still, it devalued both tag titles a bit for different weight-class wrestlers to be going either way.

The US title opener was really just to give the show a solid start, in case the tag matches in the middle bombed a bit (they didn't). The semi main event was quite solid and actually equal in grade to the RVD-HBK vs Knoble-Chavo match. It wasn't a classic or anything, but it was better than I expected.
Good News.

Would Sting put his friendship with Luger above his own position with WCW? Would he recognize that Luger's time has passed in an evolving WCW? Or maybe he's a month or two away from walking out the door himself in protest...
I hope not. He's the biggest nostalgia name you have besides Flair.

The WWE isn't that messed up. The Edge world title win was the only title change they've had thus far (in many test sims with this data, none of their titles changed hands through 2002). I've seen plenty of news stories about the negative personalities but I haven't noticed any negative relationships form over it and it doesn't seem to affect a computer promotion quite the same. Austin, Rock, 'Taker, Benoit, Jericho, Kane, and Big Show are right in there with Hogan, Edge, Triple H, Nash, and Hall in the main event scene, all of them main eventing TV shows regularly. Most of them make most PPVs as well, though not always against top opponents. Those last couple of PPVs just happened to be structured in such a way that I could play it up in the narrative.
Oh, I was hoping for some more khaos from the Kliq.

Luger was a bit of a tough call. He's not absolutely useless in the ring in the data but he was pretty high on the Time Decline list and didn't have the greatest attitude. Not as bad as Buff, but bad enough. I liked the connection to the past he gave, but nostalgia only goes so far. I have a "replacement" in mind...

It's Vader Time! :p

Shane Helms is in the WWE - it was mentioned in one of the 2001 monthly recaps. I basically mentioned that he took a contract offer from them and was promptly debuted under The Hurricane superhero gimmick, which helped convince a lot of the WCW cruisers the were better off in WCW. Shannon Moore is still there, usually working tag matches with Evan Karagias as 3 Count. A core team in the cruiserweight tag ranks for me. Neither guy has really gotten a singles push yet, due to both talent and the tag experience.
Don't give them a singles push. Cruiserweight tag titles is the best thing for them right now.

The irony of your last statement, Tristram, is that I really don't think I would have endeavored to take on WCW without having read your WCW works...
This is true. I was stuck on my '98, '00 and '01 versions that I was working on before I read your works and got some inspirations.

Question: Where is Jerry Lawler? He got fired by WWE along with The Kat in 2001...

I think Eddie Guerrero will get the title shot at Lesnar. RVD vs HBK in a #1 contenders match with winner facing Brock. Then Goldberg getting the next shot 3 months from now.

Horseman vs D.A. was good.

Can't wait to start my diary using this format with WCW. It will be so much different. My first show rated a 43... :( Didn't realize the crowd expected 50% match ratio so I did about 75%. It was rough. So yeah I will be restarting my game and won't be running 43 rated shows.

I see. Still, it devalued both tag titles a bit for different weight-class wrestlers to be going either way.

This is true. I was stuck on my '98, '00 and '01 versions that I was working on before I read your works and got some inspirations.

Question: Where is Jerry Lawler? He got fired by WWE along with The Kat in 2001...

I don't know that it affects the tag titles much. The Cruiserweight titles weren't on the line, and Knoble & Chavo did pretty well against two of the top singles wrestlers in WCW. They did well in part because HBK & RVD weren't working that well as a team, but its the kind of loss that would still have the cruiser team come out looking good.

As for The Triad defending the tag titles against random opponents instead of clearly established contenders, it doesn't help the belts. But is it hurting them? The tag titles aren't really protected the way the world title is, so random challengers do happen. Its typically going to be on TV than on a PPV, but otherwise, its not completely uncommon.

Most of the Kliq stuff is just my interpretation of what the CPU does with the WWE than actual backstage alliances.

Jerry Lawer went back to the WWE is late 2001 and he's still there.

I think Eddie Guerrero will get the title shot at Lesnar. RVD vs HBK in a #1 contenders match with winner facing Brock. Then Goldberg getting the next shot 3 months from now.

Horseman vs D.A. was good.

Can't wait to start my diary using this format with WCW. It will be so much different. My first show rated a 43... :( Didn't realize the crowd expected 50% match ratio so I did about 75%. It was rough. So yeah I will be restarting my game and won't be running 43 rated shows.

Glad you enjoyed.

Yeah, gotta be careful with things like the ratio. Those penalties can be harsh and it just kills a show...

Wildly throwing out predictions...Mysterio over Lesnar at Starrcade? Obviously you aren't going to answer but I remember reading the show Mysterio won the belt and thinking he could be the guy to dethrone Lesnar. I was drinking at the time though and my sentences made less sense than usual, so didn't say it and forgot about it :).

I like Kidman and Juvi teaming up. A story I would of loved WCW to tell would of been the Cruiserweights vs. the Heavyweights sometime in late '98. Jericho, Malenko, Mysterio, Eddie, Chavo, Juvi, Psychosis, La Parka....these were the guys I wanted to see take down the nWo. I know we are far removed from that story here, but thought it was worth mentioning because I really like the cruisers you have and enjoy them having a prominent role.

I'm gonna skip doing an editorial between September and October so I can try to get the next monthly recap up pretty quickly. Once again, its moreso going to be the time it takes to book through the month than the writing...

This continues to be a great read, good work sir. It's really pushed me to try and figure out stronger ways to present my dynasty than just match recaps and wrestling news sites.

Thanks. Glad you are enjoying. One of the greatest aspects of doing a diary is that there really isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to approach things.

Wildly throwing out predictions...Mysterio over Lesnar at Starrcade? Obviously you aren't going to answer but I remember reading the show Mysterio won the belt and thinking he could be the guy to dethrone Lesnar. I was drinking at the time though and my sentences made less sense than usual, so didn't say it and forgot about it :).

I like Kidman and Juvi teaming up. A story I would of loved WCW to tell would of been the Cruiserweights vs. the Heavyweights sometime in late '98. Jericho, Malenko, Mysterio, Eddie, Chavo, Juvi, Psychosis, La Parka....these were the guys I wanted to see take down the nWo. I know we are far removed from that story here, but thought it was worth mentioning because I really like the cruisers you have and enjoy them having a prominent role.

Not a terrible prediction by any means. I like Rey-Rey and that would definitely be a fun match to write. The US title win was intended to elevate Mysterio out of the cruiserweight ranks and I have no intent to send him back. So the question becomes... Do I see him becoming a big enough star to justify going over Lesnar, and would I want to have that happen that quickly? I will say no more, except that whoever goes over Lesnar, it may not happen at Starrcade...

A cruiserweight war with the rest of the promotion is a very intriguing idea. I very well could steal that for somewhere down the road....

Great stuff as always Papa. Damn, I wish I had the skill and vision to craft a WCW as great as yours...mine seems to be doing worse than the real one ever did!

Thanks Boom. I don't think you're doing so bad with your vision. I will be honest - I think 1998 is a tougher situation to deal with all the way around than the scenario Genadi crafted that I'm using here. You have a huge roster to try to balance, multiple A shows, and lots of negative personalities. Its tough to balance everything and keep everyone happy. I will also say that this overview approach gives me more leeway than a show-by-show diary does - I can focus on what I really want to relate to the reader.

Quite honestly, every time I look at either WCW or the WWE in any real world mod, the sheer size of the rosters tend to drive me away. I know from past experience I can handle a big promotion with lots of workers and multiple shows... but its such a burden when its that way from the start.

I am pretty much certain I would never have tackled another real world project again if not for Genadi's scenario. Typically, smaller promotions like TNA or ROH don't appeal to me that much to run, but WCW was national. Yet they weren't bloated with talent (and un-talent, in some cases) like they so often were in real life. Yeah, there are some negative personalities but only so many and some pretty positive ones as well. But perhaps most appealing of all was that the scenario had a clear divergence point from reality where I could "fill in the blanks" for a year before I actually started booking. It made imposing my own vision of WCW feel legit, which is something I often struggle within real world games...

As for the "vision", its really just a matter of figuring out where you want to go with things as a whole and find ways to take you there. Just start with the "big picture" and narrow it down as you plan.

Great stuff as always Papa. Damn, I wish I had the skill and vision to craft a WCW as great as yours...mine seems to be doing worse than the real one ever did!

I feel the same way as my 2nd Nitro was rated a 48. When the computer runs WCW they get high 70's! This is ridiculous. No way I am that bad at booking.

Also if there is no between month write up that is fine. On with the results!!! Wooooooooo!

Just read the whole thing from the start, first of all, I really enjoy the layout and also what you are doing with WCW. I know some of the earlier stuff was already "written" for you with the 2002 alternative mod, but it still had me hooked.

I am really enjoying the Four Horsemen storyline. I know I'm late with the whole Eddie Guerrero "yes or no" in the Horsemen discussion, but personally I see Eddie as a perfect addition to the horsemen. Great in the ring and on the mic, essentially what the original four where all about.

I think a women's division would be a great fit for this "new" WCW. I think having a division without a championship first would be "better", in my mind this would allow the fans to get used to women's wrestling again in WCW, really establish the division first before a belt. At least that's how I think it would be done in reality.

I personally would like to hear more about FTW, like with what your doing with ECW, just a small paragraph each month. Its not important, just the "wrestling geek" side of me would like to know more about the future of ECW and WCW. Like I said I would really enjoying hearing more about FTW but at the end of the day it's not why I'm reading this. Either way I am enjoying this.

One more thing push Scott Steiner...The Next WCW Champion of the World!

I haven´t enough time to leave much feedback, so i´ll wait until I get back off my holiday, but just wanted to pop in and say the few updates have been brilliant.

Very much looking forward to the next step in this title saga, it will have me slotting more and more money into the hotel´s internet everyday until I see it resolved.

P.S. If Mysterio goes over Lesnar, well, I shall have to write a strongly worded letter to my local MP in order to get your whole organisation shut down.

Its really too bad that Youtube hasn't been created yet in 2002, as I think the most effective form of protest would be to make an irrate, screaming video of your opinions about the title change and then post it on Youtube for the world to enjoy. Ensuring to use massive profanity, and at least some of it incorrectly or out of context.

I think Mysterio would be a very polarizing choice to have beat Lesnar. Even moreso than Eddie as a Horsemen was. I could do it just for the arguements that it would create.... LOL...

I feel the same way as my 2nd Nitro was rated a 48. When the computer runs WCW they get high 70's! This is ridiculous. No way I am that bad at booking.

Also if there is no between month write up that is fine. On with the results!!! Wooooooooo!

I don't honestly recall what I got for a grade the first time I tried a test game with the default WCW product. It wasn't pretty... low 60s, maybe? Being a popularity-based product is a bit painful when you lack a lot of popular talent. Cruiserweights got absolute wretched match ratings, despite a fair bit of talent. I decided to switch to a product more befitting my long-term vision of WCW, and the cruisers was actually a bit reason behind that.

Just read the whole thing from the start, first of all, I really enjoy the layout and also what you are doing with WCW. I know some of the earlier stuff was already "written" for you with the 2002 alternative mod, but it still had me hooked.

I am really enjoying the Four Horsemen storyline. I know I'm late with the whole Eddie Guerrero "yes or no" in the Horsemen discussion, but personally I see Eddie as a perfect addition to the horsemen. Great in the ring and on the mic, essentially what the original four where all about.

I think a women's division would be a great fit for this "new" WCW. I think having a division without a championship first would be "better", in my mind this would allow the fans to get used to women's wrestling again in WCW, really establish the division first before a belt. At least that's how I think it would be done in reality.

I personally would like to hear more about FTW, like with what your doing with ECW, just a small paragraph each month. Its not important, just the "wrestling geek" side of me would like to know more about the future of ECW and WCW. Like I said I would really enjoying hearing more about FTW but at the end of the day it's not why I'm reading this. Either way I am enjoying this.

One more thing push Scott Steiner...The Next WCW Champion of the World!

Glad you read and even more glad you enjoyed.

As for the women's title, I won't give anything away (in part since I still haven't decided anything for certain) but your suggestion is along the lines of what I was thinking...

I can try to add some little blurbs about FTW. I've been meaning to add a few comments about some of the indy promotions - TNA and ROH, specifically. So it would fit in with that.

I'll throw out a few FTW details right now. Its a touring promotion (2 shows per week) located in the South West (Las Vegas). It has the same popularity equals performance product as WCW and the shows tend to vary quite a bit in quality - from low 40s to near the 70s. There are three titles - Global, Global Tandem, and Death Defying, plus two tournament titles (one singles and one tag team). The first Global (I love the irony of a promotion that can't exceed regional size having a title called that) was Samoa Joe (who did awesome), followed by Mark Jindrak (who did less than awesome), and now Bryan Danielson. I actually set the "women's wing" as a separate female-only promotion with most of the same details and its doing quite well. Used the "Babes of Sin City" name and logo from the CornellVerse for the irony...

I haven´t enough time to leave much feedback, so i´ll wait until I get back off my holiday, but just wanted to pop in and say the few updates have been brilliant.

Very much looking forward to the next step in this title saga, it will have me slotting more and more money into the hotel´s internet everyday until I see it resolved.

Glad you are still reading Totti, and sorry to be costing you money to use the hotel computer. The hope is to have October up quick enough - once again, the recap is almost done but now I need to finish booking through everything. I fully expect to be able to finish out 2002 in the next few weeks, though 2003 will take longer as I'm away for much of the month of September...

Glad you are still reading Totti, and sorry to be costing you money to use the hotel computer. The hope is to have October up quick enough - once again, the recap is almost done but now I need to finish booking through everything. I fully expect to be able to finish out 2002 in the next few weeks, though 2003 will take longer as I'm away for much of the month of September...

No worries, matey. The diary is worth every penny, it´s probably the best diary i´ve seen in terms of suspense . I´m eagerly looking forward to what you have in store for us post 2003. Maybe some more big names or just some more teriffic booking.

I should have the October update posted sometime today or tomorrow. Once again, its just doing the actual booking through the shows that is taking a bit of time. To be honest, the booking is actually beginning to feel a bit monotonous. As I've mentioned before, its much quicker booking shows on this project than on my previous project, but its still the slowest aspect of this diary. And this brings me the actual reason I'm posting this...

How would you readers feel if this went to a "full fantasy booking" approach at some point?

Its not something I'm necessarily planning at the moment. But if booking 9 shows a month starts to feel a bit monotonous nine months into the game, I can only imagine what it might be like doing 13 shows a month six months later. Doing a diary with a game going along with it isn't something I really considering to any real extent in the past, but with this project, it seems like it could still work just fine. To be honest, I think switching up the approach will keep this running for a fair bit longer than it will otherwise... But I also understand it might turn away some readers. So I figured I'd ask for your thoughts before I get too far along in any decision...

Archived