Transfering Files

mad5226

So I have Windows Vista and I'm trying to transfer a file (roughly 300 Mb) from one part of my hard drive to the other (same drive). The problem is it's only transferring at like 1.5K per second. So that size file will take more than 24 hours to transfer! Any idea what's causing this or what I can do to speed it up?

So I have Windows Vista and I'm trying to transfer a file (roughly 300 Mb) from one part of my hard drive to the other (same drive). The problem is it's only transferring at like 1.5K per second. So that size file will take more than 24 hours to transfer! Any idea what's causing this or what I can do to speed it up?

That sounds like you have a very serious problem with your hard drive. There is no reason for a transfer speed that slow that is legitimate in my mind, not if it's the same physical disk.

I do not know. I'm not aware of anything, but you could try defragmenting the drive, checking for spyware/viruses, making sure that your processor isn't being overloaded by all the stuff you're running...

Basically, the usual suspects. If those don't work, I'm very sorry but (to my knowledge as a hobbyist and not as a professional) the fat lady sang on your HD.

Archived