Overpriced?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Bowlbound should be free to everyone on this message board. That seems reasonable for the torture we've had to endure waiting for this game to be released, checking in day after day after day after day, simply because we have no lives.

I know people have a right to their opinion and as such they can state in on here, but arguing about the game being too expensive really is pointless. GDS has deemed that the $35 price point will make them a profit so that's what they're going with. As others have stated already in the thread the $35 price tag is right in line with other sports text sims in the market right now. Bitching and complaining about how it's too expensive isn't going to change anything. If you think it's too much money then simply don't buy it. I'm sure there will be plenty of us that do and enjoy the product. I don't really want to have to dish out $35 for the game but I will anyways because I think it will be worth the money in the long run.

I have my own view on this. First off, based on the market today $35 for a game like this is NOT overpriced. Text sims are a genre all their own. If we don't support a company like GreyDog then how can we expect to have games like this one produced? obviously we would not have games of this type. I have no interest in video or console games because they are mostly eye candy and are very unrealistic. This game, and more importantly this company, are headed in exactly the right direction, and we will ALL benefit from supporting their efforts. dneely

think the price is fair with other games out there. The one thing that i like with greydog products is they actually care about there games.they will not put a game out unless they are happy with there product. you do not need to wait months for a error to be fixed.

I have no problem with the $35 price tag, the problem i do have is how many times can i reinstall the software with the E-license. I'm not asking for a dozen installs, but the usual 2 installs (OOTP) isnt' enough either. I'll buy this game the day it comes out, will pre-order if i can.

[QUOTE=johnmcc]I have no problem with the $35 price tag, the problem i do have is how many times can i reinstall the software with the E-license. I'm not asking for a dozen installs, but the usual 2 installs (OOTP) isnt' enough either. I'll buy this game the day it comes out, will pre-order if i can.[/QUOTE] You have more than two computers that you actively play games on?

[QUOTE=johnmcc]I have no problem with the $35 price tag, the problem i do have is how many times can i reinstall the software with the E-license. I'm not asking for a dozen installs, but the usual 2 installs (OOTP) isnt' enough either. I'll buy this game the day it comes out, will pre-order if i can.[/QUOTE] You can install OOTP 150 times if you want. You can only have 2 licensed copies at a time. If you're willing to unlicense after you're done playing, you can also play on 150 different computers, so I don't get what you're saying here. As for the price, 34.99 is a bit for Text sims, but it hasn't stopped me from buying the ones that I like. I'll buy this shortly after it comes out.

[QUOTE=Mike D]If you're willing to unlicense after you're done playing, you can also play on 150 different computers, so I don't get what you're saying here. [/QUOTE] What he said. Any time I get dragged to the in-laws' place, I unlicense OOTP on one of my home machines and install the license on theirs. Works fine.

[QUOTE=Azamien]What he said. Any time I get dragged to the in-laws' place, I unlicense OOTP on one of my home machines and install the license on theirs. Works fine.[/QUOTE] I never thought about unlicensing the software, never tried that, thanks. But,to answer your question, yes I do have more than 2 machines that i play on. I will try unlicensing, i saw an earlier thread on that. Another issue that I came up with with OOTP was that my hard drive had died twice, and that was after i had used up my 2nd license. Can't wait for the full version though, i'm spending all this time recruiting with nothing to show for it

I paid 50 bucks for Madden06 and felt riped off :) 35 bucks is fine with me, I go 50 bucks no problem for all the year long enjoyment of the game and knowing what work was put into it. Hell my son spends 14.99 a MONTH kill dragons and such. Want to know whats a rip off, pay 40-45 bucks for a ticket to see a skining LIONS football game... :eek:

I feel $35.00 is a fair price for this sim. I have had to relicense other sims via tech and have had immediate responses. BigDawg, I was at that Thanksgiving stinker, what a poor excuse for a NFL franchise. Fire Millen, Fire the Ford family is what is needed. I have been a Lion fan for almost 50 years and well you know. Will we ever see a Championship? Doubt it Sorry to ramble on, I think Mooch will hook up with a different program and be successful again

[QUOTE=diamonddave35]Well put....I dont even bother with the joystick played games..because theyre way too unrealistic. Case in point..The last season I played with any EA game was NCAA 05..I had a freshman RB win the hiesman with 4,000+ yards in a season..and needless to say I won 4 straight National Titles with Middle Tennesee State..and even the real USC wont beat my 59 game winning streak. This game, as far as the demo is concerned is well worth the 35 bucks..Just one mans' opinion[/QUOTE] While that may be true, there hasn't been a serious attempt at a graphical football sim since FPS died out. I don't know about you, but I felt a lot more connection with the FPS football and baseball games, than any text game I have played since, because I could actually see the play unfolding. Yes those games had serious flaws but more than made up for it in my opinion because you could build plays, watch the whole game, and edit everything. I would expect to pay in the $40-$50 range for a serious graphical sim. $35 for a text game is worth it I suppose because it is the "only game in town" for the moment. However if a good graphical sim hits the shelves, the $35 price tag for a text game is going to seem rather steep in a hurry. By the way I always buy the EA games used in the bargain bin, so I don't know anything about paying $50 for one of them. I picked up NCAA Football 2005 for $10 at EB and have gotten a helluva lot of bang for my buck in enjoyment.

[QUOTE=dp68]While that may be true, there hasn't been a serious attempt at a graphical football sim since FPS died out. I don't know about you, but I felt a lot more connection with the FPS football and baseball games, than any text game I have played since, because I could actually see the play unfolding. Yes those games had serious flaws but more than made up for it in my opinion because you could build plays, watch the whole game, and edit everything. [/QUOTE] I agree 100%. FPS still today, is my favorite sports sims of all time. Baseball '96 and Football '97. It's funny how many things in those games still haven't been replecated today. I think Arlie and Gary are going in the direction of having some sort of graphical view while the game plays out, even if it's only 2d. The immersion they program into a game is quite good though and I'm anxious to get into BBCF. To me, $35 is nothing for a game as deep as a text sim can be while graphically pleasing as well. Madden is $50 is goes for what, only 30 seasons?

Personally, I don't feel as connected in the FPS games as I do in text sims. Probably because in the FPS football, it always felt to me that you were "gaming the game". You were not coaching football; you were drawing plays that really had little semblance to "real" football. True, it was a quantum leap and it was still fun. But honestly, I got destroyed in leagues because I always wanted to design football plays where the game really demanded you draw up FPS plays. Now, there were a couple of leagues that tried to make the stats plausible by tweaking ratings, limiting plays and what type of plays could be called under certain situations. That worked fairly well, but required significant concessions. There is little doubt that if the game were still around today that some of these issues might be solved. FPS was a game ahead of its time, true. But I prefer text sims because the best ones provide results that are generally closer to reality. I believe Diamond Mind baseball is about a $50 game and seasons are around $30 each. And the money is absolutely well spent if you enjoy top-notch baseball sims. We use it in a league and it's a good game. Some prefer Strat-O-Matic, others OOTP to each his own. They all have good things about them. I agree with MizzouRah, Bowl Bound immerses you in the football experience. In my estimation, it’s the finest football game every made. The stats are realistic, the game flows well, and there is promise for the future. The play-by-play will continue to evolve and improve with subsequent releases, and to me, that is enough. It is sort of like listening to a game on radio; I can imagine what the play would look like without the graphical whiz-bang. That much said, I completely understand why people would love the graphic-rich games such as FPS. At risk of offending the makers of this fine game, there is a serious graphical football game in the works and perhaps (a year late) is finally getting close to being released: Maximum Football ([url]www.matrixgames.com)[/url]. It's pretty much in the same vein as FPS, although I would imagine more advanced. Again, it's a one-man shop producing this game, and it was supposedly going to be released around last year's Super Bowl, but apparently, he won't release the game until it's ready (which upsets some people, but the other half of the crowd remembers the FPS debacle at the end). Check out the forums over there, there are many more screen shots available. It will supposedly be released within the next month or so.

Money isn't a problem for me at all, but paying 36 bucks for a game buy a small company isn't always the brightest thing to do. It ineviatably seems the finished product isn't what was promised %100. Ex. I'm still waiting for that Career mode promised in the original release by Faceoff hockey. Also other products like Title bout boxing and other that promise stuff that does'nt come out or does 2 years down the line, and they're asking you for another 29.99 for something that was supposed to be in the original. I'll probably buy the game, but the first time the team I'm playing is down by 2 points and is on there own 20 4th and 10 with :35 seconds to play in 4thQ and they punt the ball. I'll punt grey dog, and remind you guys you were willing to pay $50 for it. I mean this game is supposed to be more reallistic than the shallow Madden Football. Last time I played though Madden Football doesn't punt with :35 sec left, down by 2

[QUOTE=map444]Money isn't a problem for me at all, but paying 36 bucks for a game buy a small company isn't always the brightest thing to do. It ineviatably seems the finished product isn't what was promised %100. Ex. I'm still waiting for that Career mode promised in the original release by Faceoff hockey. Also other products like Title bout boxing and other that promise stuff that does'nt come out or does 2 years down the line, and they're asking you for another 29.99 for something that was supposed to be in the original. I'll probably buy the game, but the first time the team I'm playing is down by 2 points and is on there own 20 4th and 10 with :35 seconds to play in 4thQ and they punt the ball. I'll punt grey dog, and remind you guys you were willing to pay $50 for it. I mean this game is supposed to be more reallistic than the shallow Madden Football. Last time I played though Madden Football doesn't punt with :35 sec left, down by 2[/QUOTE] Thought the game is $34.95? Where did $36 come from?.... As for bugs, I had one on EA NCAA Football where I ran a kickoff back to the 45, fumbled, recovered, and next thing I know the CPU has the ball on MY 5-yard line. It's not just the small fry that has errors in their games....

[QUOTE=map444]Money isn't a problem for me at all, but paying 36 bucks for a game buy a small company isn't always the brightest thing to do. It ineviatably seems the finished product isn't what was promised %100. Ex. I'm still waiting for that Career mode promised in the original release by Faceoff hockey. Also other products like Title bout boxing and other that promise stuff that does'nt come out or does 2 years down the line, and they're asking you for another 29.99 for something that was supposed to be in the original. I'll probably buy the game, but the first time the team I'm playing is down by 2 points and is on there own 20 4th and 10 with :35 seconds to play in 4thQ and they punt the ball. I'll punt grey dog, and remind you guys you were willing to pay $50 for it. I mean this game is supposed to be more reallistic than the shallow Madden Football. Last time I played though Madden Football doesn't punt with :35 sec left, down by 2[/QUOTE] Arlie's updated the demo and game for that matter that is supposed to fix that bug. If paying $35 keeps small sports text sim companies like GDS, SI, Puresim, etc.. in business... I'm all for it.

Archived