Overpriced?

Do you guys really think it's worth 35 bucks? Seems like kind of a lot. Especially when it says "2005", implying there will probably be a 2006. Maybe if this was an EA Sports game, or something... lol... but it's not. You guys really think it's worth $35 anually? Don't get me wrong, it looks like a sweet game, just not one I'm prepared to dish out 35 bucks for. I remember a few years ago I purchased season ticket basketball from ebgames and thought 19.99 was a little much to pay for this type of game. Heh, oh well. Maybe if there was a free update to 2006 or something, then it would be worth it. I would think having a lower price would encourage a lot more sales also, but what do I know? heh

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$30-35 seems to be the standard for e-License-delivered text sims. You're right, it does seem a bit high since there are no distribution costs and low advertising costs, but at the same time, EA can get away with making less profit on each sale because they sell a lot more copies. It's the Wal-Mart theory of economics. :p

Maybe they'll have one of those discounts on it for a limited time type deal, I might get it then. Depending on how much they lower the price. heh I think they did that last year for one of their games, around christmas or right there after. Can't remember.

[QUOTE=Azamien]$30-35 seems to be the standard for e-License-delivered text sims.[/QUOTE] Which is why none of them are as mainstream as they should be if at all. No offense to Ryland, but he lost a lot of potential customers from the EWR series because of the price tag. Most people see $35.99 and the first thing that comes to mind, is 1) it's a text based game and 2) they could go buy a video game for that cost.

[QUOTE=Cooleyvol]Omg!![/QUOTE] I'm right with you on this one ..... It's a big if on wether there will be a new version next year considering they are going to work on a pro game next and even if ... Madden is 50 every year for one major new feature and new rosters yet I see no complaint about that. Let's see someone else said that they could buy a video game for the same amount, well that wouldn't be a brand new game most of them cost $50 and the new gen games are coming in around $60 I believe. But even if you could buy them for 35$ you mash buttons for a few weeks and then you've mastered it. With text sim games if done right you haven't even started a new franchise yet by the time the video game is burnt out. From just the demo I can already tell this game is 10 times deeper than NCAA 2006. But some people can't play games that don't involve cheat codes, money plays and the ability to take Saint Mary's school for the Blind to 8 consectutive titles in the first 10 years.

Well put....I dont even bother with the joystick played games..because theyre way too unrealistic. Case in point..The last season I played with any EA game was NCAA 05..I had a freshman RB win the hiesman with 4,000+ yards in a season..and needless to say I won 4 straight National Titles with Middle Tennesee State..and even the real USC wont beat my 59 game winning streak. This game, as far as the demo is concerned is well worth the 35 bucks..Just one mans' opinion

[QUOTE=Chappy]Text sims historically have had more replay value for me than most video games. YMMV.[/QUOTE] the number of crappy sim games outweights the number of very good sim games. And unlike with video games where the developers come out with new concepts for games, most sim developers try to rip off the work of someone else.

worst. thread. ever. I'd pay $50 for this game, ncaa 06 was complete crap and you can't do half of the things in that game that you can in BBCF. if you're looking for a game where you have a "playmaker stick" to make up for the one you never grew in real life...look elsewhere.

The pricing is actually right in line with other text sims in the market (most are in the 30 - 35 dollar range); with some that run close to 50 dollars or more (plus the cost of season disks for replay games). Ultimately it is up to the customer to decide whether or not the price is right for them, if it's too expensive the customer speaks with their wallet. Others (including myself when I first started playing text sims) would contend that the value is excellent, given the amount of enjoyment, particularly when compared to the 50.00 I was blowing each year on EA's roster updates, but as mentioned your mileage may vary.

Out of the Park Baseball 6 when it was new was 35 TEW 2004 when it was new was 35 TEW 2005 right now is 35 See a developing pattern? All good text based sports simulations are around $35-40. Heck, even downloadable turn-based war games (not Battlefield or it's ilk, I'm talking about hardcore strategic games) are around 35-40. I expect to pay 35-40 dollars when I buy a text based sim or war game, so yes, I'm buying Bowl Bound at 35. KennyWan

It really comes down perceived value. If you can sell software for $100, and get enough people to buy it at $100, then its worth is $100. Is Bowl Bound worth $35? The marketplace will have the final say. (I would say it absolutely is worth the money, but that's me. The original poster may feel differently.) Honestly, at bigger companies, they pay for studies that will figure out exactly what people are willing to pay for software. The trick is to find the pricepoint that will maximize the income, based upon the number of people who will purchase that software at each price point, and taking in to account the cost of support, distributions, advertising, etc. Finally, there is the element of perceived value. If I gave you a choice of two stereos, one at $1,000 and another at $250, most people would opt for the $1,000 stereo because "it's better." Is it better? Well, because it is four times as expensive, we assume it must be better. Price your product too cheaply and you create the perception that it "just isn't any good or they would be selling it for more." I agree with the posters who point out that $35 is in line with the marketplace. It is cheaper than many text-based sports sims, more expensive than others. Finally, in the future, we could do without the use of the word "faggoty" as it is extremely juvenile.

Archived