About Game Saves

Okay, I've searched in the forums because this will be the first time I'm going to buy a sequel of a game and not want to start over. I'm too in love with my GAMMA campaign in WMMA2, and I'm not keen on resetting everything once I pick up WMMA3. There is a surprising lack of information on conversion (given the awesome community you all have built up), so I figured I pose a few basic questions here in the interest of getting myself ready.

1. I read in Adam's dev journal that WMMA3 will come with a converter for WMMA2 databases. Does that extend to saves? Can a save be entirely exported? Does it even need to be exported (or is it just a single file/folder already)? I suppose that question is to Adam himself unless someone else knows how the converter works... I figure it's the same type of converter used in the TEW series, though I haven't messed with those either.

2. What, exactly, gets converted? All I really care about are contracts and cash. Even if some of the other stats will get randomized or shuffled, I'm not too picky: even if some of my fighters will start acting a little odd compared to their WMMA2 versions, I'm fine with that.

I figure that my last resort will be to just take the official C-Verse database that WMMA3 ships with, then move around fighters and contracts and TV shows and whatnot to match the way it's in my game already. Given that I don't care about other companies but my own for the sake of conversion, and given that I don't care about fleshing out everyone's histories, I don't think anything would break TOO badly... but the point is, if the converter has a history of doing just what I need it to do, I'll be golden.

Does anyone have a lot of experience playing with Adam's converters for the franchises? I'm just pleased he's got one: I with THQ and EA Sports would make save file converters for their yearly updated games; it would encourage me to actually buy the titles every year!

From what I understand the convertor relates to databases, not to game saves.

WMMA2 game saves cannot be transferred over to WMMA3, unfortunately.

You'll either have to start anew, or tinker around with things a bunch yourself to edit it how you see fit.

Hm, okay, fair enough.

I swore there was a way to export a database though, like export a game save into a separate database... Maybe I'm mixing up games, but I thought the original TEW game (the one before Adam started using numbers in the titles) could do that. Maybe I'm mixing a few up though, it's been too long...

No, save games cannot be converted. I'm surprised so many people are asking about it, the question is explicitly answered in the FAQ that began the Dev Journal....I've just re-read it and I can't see where the confusion is arising, it's a pretty clear explanation; what am I missing?

You may be missing the fact that not everyone necessarily has read the first post of the Dev's journal closely.

Or perhaps they have but have selective memory? Haha.

Wow, yeah, now I feel like a total moron. I know I read that opening FAQ in the Dev Journal, but I guess I forgot about it.

Still, this brings me back to another part of my original question. Isn't there a way to export a save game's DATABASE (like just the information of fighters and companies and whatnot)? Because if I could, I could convert THAT to the new WMMA3 format, and then worry about starting over.

Either way, like I said, even if there are zero solutions, I'll just manually move everyone around once I get WMMA3. It shouldn't take that much effort, should it?

Still, this brings me back to another part of my original question. Isn't there a way to export a save game's DATABASE (like just the information of fighters and companies and whatnot)? Because if I could, I could convert THAT to the new WMMA3 format, and then worry about starting over.

If you where really bored you could do it all by hand...

Archived