Advice re: new laptop

iMac

As some of the guys I play mafia with might know, my PC died last month. It's been in for repair twice now, and still no luck. It's a pretty old machine (2007 Vista) so I'm thinking of getting a new laptop if it still can't be fixed.

So yeah, looking for a little help with regards to what kind of specs I should be going for. Not made of money so obv can't get top of the line. Would just like something relaible that suits my needs.

Basically I use my PC for internet surfing, writing essays for uni, gaming, watching videos, using photoshop, etc. I'm assuming I need something with a good processor and a decent ammount of RAM? Also I guess a good graphics card is needed too? We'll take Windows 7 as a standard. As for memory, I guess around 300GB? I have an external hard drive that I keep my music, movies, etc, on which is 250GB.

So yeah, maybe some answers to the following questions?

What are good brands of laptops to buy in terms of reliability and performance?

What kind of RAM should I look for? I was thinking minimum of 3GB?

I'm assuming Intel still make the best processors, so what model would you recommend? What processor speed?

Yeah, and anything else you can think of that would be helpful/useful to know. Would really appreciate some solid advice here as being a poor student (tiny violin) I kinda want to make sure that if I'm spending this money I get it right.

Well, I'm not sure you want a laptop because most of them do not have the high end processors you're going to want. An exception to this was alienware, but last time I look many of their prodcts were getting out of date, and they are pretty expensive.

I was in the same situation as you where both my laptop and desktop died. For a laptop I purchaced an HP tm2t which is sweet for business and light games, but it can't run anything with really good graphics, doesn't even meet the minimum requirements.

Desktop-wise I'm building a machine because you can get a lot more for your buck. I'm trying to balance performance with price and ability for future upgrade and with that in mind I have a large case with lots of room to expand, a decent graphics card and I will most likely be gettingan Asrock extreme 6 motherboard with the i-950 quad core processor. The Asrock motherboard is nice because it's cheaper, has more USB 3.0 than any other board on the market and a lot of modern features. However, assuming I understand what I've learned correctly, it only supports two high end video cards where as some boards can do 4 boards for better graphics, so it depends what you want.

Lol. OK, that's all a bit much for my brain to deal with.

Thought of something after I posted. These are the hardware requirements of a game I bought like a day or 2 before my PC died:

OS - Vista/W7

Processor - 2GB or faster, Intel Core

Memory - 1GB RAM

Hard Drive Space - 2GB

DVD-Drive - 4x speed

Video Card - 128MB

So yeah, are these ^^ reasonable requirements I could get on a solid laptop?

Thanks for your help btw.

Archived