HGC The Rise and Fall of Hollyweird (Cverse '97)

I'm really just dropping by to post the show, but I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for predicting and welcome smwilliams and Swagger1994 aboard.

Should be posting the backstage segments and next round of predictions tomorrow, with the next show going up on Wednesday.

Thanks man.

I'm not actually all that surprised when predictions are low - I'm a haphazard updater at best, I tend to post updates when the boards are at their quietest, and at least once I've disappeared for over a month. Combine all that and it's probably not the best way to develop a readership.

Which is cool, all things considered. I appreciate the people who do take the time to predict, and those who just drop by to read (especially since its my default state with other people's dynasties), and prefer to think of it as developing a readership of quality rather than quantity :D

One of the things I love about the '97 database is the opportunity to build promotions from the ground up - both 4C and HGC are only a few months old, DAVE has just morphed into a new entity, and BBW is about to launch. It's something that you don't get that often in the modern C-Verse, although I start a lot of PSW games back in TEW2008 'cause they had the same vibe.

I dig it, you've got me reading anything C-Verse of yours trust me. No matter how haphazard.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/SamStrong.jpg

"I don't want…" Strong pauses, frowning, a rare moment of hesitation from the ordinarily vocal wrestler. He's seated in his office at USPW headquarters and there are title belts visible in the display case behind him, the HGC World Heavyweight Champion included. Slowly Strong lets out a deep breath and begins again.

"Look, my answer to that question's changed over the last few years, especially in light of…" Strong gestures towards the walls covered in USPW posters and paraphernalia.

"I won't say I didn't think about leaving. I wanted to walk out right then and there, but it would have hurt Pete's push. I could have afforded that – I didn't need to stay with Hollyweird for the money – but Pete wasn't exactly at the height of his career at that point and I felt like I owed the guy after pulling him away from Supreme like I did.

"I could go back to Japan in a pinch, or head north and work with the DeColts, but Peter Valentine was just finding his feet and he wasn't going to be able to travel if things didn't work out with Hollyweird. I didn't want to abandon him in the middle of his push, and I didn't want him to walk out with me, no matter how many times he offered. I mean, who knows where he'd end up working. DaVE? RPW? They were looking like the best bets on the independent circuit at the time, and after talking to guys who worked there, I didn't think anyone deserved to end up wrestling for either of them.

"So a day or two after the argument, me and Stallings sat down and talked. We agreed I'd stay on at full salary, that I'd keep working as his representative until my neck healed, and we agreed I'd get creative control of my character regardless of who took over the book. And he agreed to give me an out at the end of '97, if I really decided I wasn't happy with the direction of the promotion.

"And that's how I got talked into staying, despite the fact that I was miserable, and it would have been better for everyone if Stallings had never bothered. I did some good things in my Hollyweird run, I won't say that I didn't, brother, but it cost me some friendships in the long run and I'm still not sure that was worth it."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/BooSmithson.jpg

"The real question among the boys was who'd be the new booker," Dundee says. "Sam was out, which was met with mixed reactions, and while Nero agreed to serve as the interim booker, he didn't want the job full time.

"So there were meetings and emails and feelers were sent out. I got asked about it, but I didn't want the job, to be honest. I had heat with Strong over my relationship with Stallings – a relationship that only happened 'cause Sam wasn't interested in learning to use email – and there were plenty of seniority issues with some of the other guys.

"It wasn't just that, though, not when you get right down to it. There's two sides to booking – the long-term plan and the short-term details, and I always did better with the detail stuff. You want your head booker to be a guy who can think ahead, a guy who can look two years down the road and see someone with the potential to reach that point and carry your company, and that's never really been my strong suit. It's more Joel's thing – I think he learnt it from the Dean – which is why we were always a good team on the committee and why he's been one of the better bookers Total's seen in a long while.

"But in the end it wasn't Joel who got the gig. Instead Stallings went to the other big name on the roster, a man whose every bit the icon Sam Strong is, and asked him to take-over.

"And in terms of making things easy, especially in light of the tension with Strong, I have to admit that Rip Chord wasn't a bad choice."

TCW Legacy Archive Presents

HGC Hollyweird TV

- Episode 18 Preview -

Hollyweird returns to the Ranch of San Antonio with a big announcement from Larry Vessey regarding the future of the TWL Tag-Team titles. It's an announcement that'll change the landscape of tag-team competition in Hollyweird, but it'll only take effect if The Vesseys defend the TWL straps against the Demons of Rage in our main event. Once again there's two sets of titles on the line - but one way or another this will be the last time the TWL Belts are defended in a Hollyweird ring.

And the grudges don't stop there – Cowboy Ricky Dale has challenged Fumihiro Ota to a match following the Shadow Clan leader's blinding of Brent Hill on our last show. Ota's delivered an acceptance through his protégé, Ronin, but will the hard-hitting cowboy come out of the match unscathed?

Mr Lucha will be in action against the men who cost him the World Championship when he teams with Spanish Superfly against The Dallas Wrecking Crew. Lucha's challenge specified the match be fought under lucha libre rules and Rip Chord's agreed, meaning a victory here could sink or swim Mr Lucha's campaign for another shot at the belt.

After their beat-down on the last show, Liberty wants a member of Eddie Chandler's Global Union and he doesn't care which – one member is going to step up and fight Sam Strong's protégé, but they're yet to announce which.

There's no grudge between Rolling Johnny Stones and Larry Wood, but the big Canadian is never in a good mood. It's an international clash of technique versus power when the two meet in the ring.

And finally, in our opening match, the Maple Leaf Maulers face the ninja duo of Kamikaze.

Matches appearing on this Streaming Video include:

The Vessey Brothers vs. The Demons of Rage - TWL Tag-Team Championship

Cowboy Ricky Dale vs. Fumihiro Ota

Los Santos Del Lucha Libre w/Miss Mexico vs. The Dallas Wrecking Crew

Liberty vs. ?????

Rolling Johnny Stones w/UK Dragon vs. Larry Wood

The Maple Leaf Maulers vs. Kamikaze

Just a gut feeling

Ota lost to Hill who is lower on the totem pole

Lucha Libre rules means an easy win

Liberty vs. ?????

The debut of a new member to his group but that ?X5 is tempting

Simple he's bigger

The ninjas are in a feud right now so they get the W

Picks

Liberty vs. ?????

HGC Hollyweird TV

Tuesday, Week 2, April 1997

The Ranch of San Antonio (Mid-South) – 7,908 people

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/LarryVessey.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/BryanVessey.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/CoachDickPangrazzio.jpg

The show opens with the Vessey Boys out in the ring, Couch Pangrazzio by their side. For once, it isn't the Coach who collects the microphone - this time it's Larry Vessey. The veteran stands in the centre of the ring, the TWL tag-team belt worn over one shoulder and his HGC belt around his waist. He soaks up the adoration of the crowd for a moment before choosing to speak.

"Ever since we won these belts," Vessey says, patting the TWL strap on his shoulder, "I've been wondering what we should do with them. They were brought out of retirement because they mean something; to me, to the men who fought beside me, to the men who fought for them afterwards.

"They were brought of retirement because they mean something to you, the fans who bought tickets to watch the title matches that were fought over the possession of these championships.

"And they were brought out of retirement because they were a weapon that could be used against me, because Professor Mycroft Nero was right about one thing: the past matters."

There's a groundswell of applause from the Texas fans, and Vessey pauses to acknowledge it.

"The past matters," he says, "but it's still the past. These were the first belts I ever held, and with Archie Judge at my side we did everything we could to make them a prize worth holding. But these--" he taps the HGC World Tag-Team Title around his waist "--are the belts I want to make mean something now. Me and Bryan, we're not content with being a champions, we want these belts to be the belts that every tag-team in the world wants to come after. We want them to be as important - or more important - than any singles title.

"And that can't be done while there's two sets of tag-team titles in this company, so it's time to retire the Texas Tag-Team Championships for the final time.

"I guess it's only fitting. I was the first Texas Wrestling League tag-team champion, and now I'll be the last."

There's a storm of applause from the San Antoino crowd. Here, more than anywhere on the Hollyweird tour, the fans appreciate the wrestlers and the history of the belts. Larry Vessey waits them out, coming dangerously close to cracking and showing emotion.

"Thank you," he says, "but we're not done.

"The Texas Wrestling League Tag-Team Championships are being retired, but these belts will live on as a trophy. Once we're done here tonight, I'll be handing them over to Sam Strong to bronzed and framed.

"I may be focused on the World Tag-Team Championship, but the history of these belts still matters. I wanted them to be remembered as more than a prize in our war with Nero and the Demons, and when I talked to JK Stallings and Sam Strong, they agreed. Texas has been good to us since Hollyweird started - you fans have been good to us every time we pass through - and we wanted a way to same thank you. So we put our heads together and came up with a solution.

"The next time we pass through Texas, it's going to be for a little event called Total Mayhem. And I'm here to tell you that's more than just a name, 'cause Total Mayhem will play host to the first Annual Hollyweird Grappling Company Texas Tag-Team Stampede.

"If you remember the TWL, you know what that means: four teams in the ring, no holds bared, whatever weapons you drag out of the bunkhouse are legal, and we keep on fighting until there's only one team standing. It's the kind of match that hurts for weeks afterwards, the kind that only the toughest survive, and it's a match me and Archie Judge made our own back in the day.

"And if you're wondering why anyone would sign up for this ordeal, well it's pretty damn simple: the team that wins walks away with one hundred thousand dollars and possession of these legendary TWL belts as a trophy. They get to hold it for a period of one year - just one - before they gotta come back and qualify for next years stampede.

"Anyone team whose got the stones is welcome to see Sam Strong and ask for a spot in the qualifiers, but it comes with a single warning: we want the roughest, we want the toughest, and we want the baddest men out there. You got seven weeks to register and prove you've got the stones to get into this ring and fight.

"It's our way of saying thanks to the men who brought prestige to these belts, to remember the style of wrestling that made Texas tag-teams famous, and to give the next generation of tag-teams something to strive for while their trying to figure out how to beat me and Bryan.

"And it's our way of saying thanks to you fans for all the support you've given us"

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/ProfessorNero.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/DemonSpite.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/DemonAnger.jpg

"And if I call you false champions, men who secured their belts through duplicitous means, what exactly does that mean for those titles you're so generously donating." Nero limps out onto the Hollyweird stage, the Demons at his side. The crowd roars at Nero - easily the most hated heel San Antonio has ever seen - and Nero sneers at the trio in the ring.

"For all his faults," the professor continues, "Sam Strong is a reasonable man, and he's more than willing to see sense when a reasonable argument is presented. Those belts around your waist were one beneath a cloud of incompetence, Vessey, and the ones you're so proud to nominate were mine, bought and paid for. They're mine, and they go to whom I please."

"Yeah?" Larry Vessey lifts the TWL belt off his shoulder and considers it for a second. "Seems to me that possession is nine-tenths of the law."

"But the other tenth," Nero responds, taking a few steps forward, "is predicated upon what's fair and right, and that's what swayed Strong when I made my case for the Demons getting a rematch.

"You may yet get your Tag-Team Stampede, Vessey, but you'll have to earn it, because tonight the Texas Wrestling League championships will be defended one last time against my clients. If you win, the belts are yours, to be donated as you wish.

"If you fail to win, well, then my clients walk away with two championship belts, and they'll get a shot at the other two at Where Angel's Fear to Tread.

"I suggest you prepare for your match, Larry," Nero says, finishing with a flourish, "because the Demons of Rage have no intention of losing this bout."

Rating: B-

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/BobCasey.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/EdMonton.jpg vs. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TroyTornado.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/YosukeNarita_alt.jpg

The Maulers wrestle a smash-mouth style, simple and direct, but it's underpinned by Bob Casey's infectious enthusiasm. The man dubbed "Bullet" cheerfully drives his opponents into the corner and unleashes a barrage of fore-arm blows, but he's equally at home surprising his foes with a thumb to the eye and a roll-up, all of which draws the crowd's approval.

It's a good showing, but it isn't enough to pick up the win. Kamikaze may not hit as hard, but they're fast and they're sneaky. The match's momentum evens out, then tips their way after a prolonged beat-down on Ed Monton. Awesome Thunder hits the Thunder Shock on Casey to get the pinfall.

Kamikaze defeated The Maple Leaf Maulers in 6:30 by pinfall.

Rating: C-

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RickyDaleJohnson.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/DarkEagle.jpg

Wanted, Dead or Alive plays throughout the arena as Cowboy Ricky Dale walks out onto the ramp, Dark EAGLE walking silently beside him. The Cowboy stares down the two members of Kamikaze, his face grim.

"I'm going to make this easy," Ricky Dale says. "There's a whole bunch of ways you can piss a fella off, but your buddy Ota sure as hell found himself one of the ways that lead to a whole mess of trouble. Brent Hill's my friend, and thanks to whatever voodoo Ota did last week, he's lying in a hospital bed right now, unable to see.

"The doctors aren't even sure what was in that mist Ota used, and they aren't sure if Brent's ever going to be able to see again, but they aren't hopeful.

"And that's the kinda thing you don't let a fella get away with in my book, especially when it's one of your friends. That's the kinda thing that causes a man to gather up a posse and go on the offense, if you know what I'm saying.

"So here's what you two are going to do - you're going to backstage, you're going to find your friend Ota, and you're going to tell him to get his butt down into this ring. And once he gets down here, blinding mist or otherwise, he's going to discover exactly what happens when you take out one of the Cowboy's friends.

"And I can tell you know, partner, what happens after he steps into this ring isn't going to be pretty. I ain't rightly sure you can even call what's going to happen legal."

Rating: D

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/ActionJackson.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Vengeance.jpg

The camera cuts to the interview stage, where a very nervous Action Jackson is standing alongside the skull-faced warrior, Vengeance. The big man doesn't acknowledge Jackson's presence, staring resolutely at the camera, and Jackson swallows as he approaches with the microphone. "Vengeance?"

The big man turns his head, fixing Jackson with the glare, and Hollyweird's erstwhile interviewer almost falls backwards.

"I'm…I'm…I'm Action Jackson," he stammers. "They wanted me to ask you about your issues with BLZ--"

"No."

"I'm…I'm…I'm sorry, but--"

Vengeance lowers his head, as if in prayer. "Do not call him BLZ Bubb," he growls. "It is the name bequeathed to him by HER…one of the means she uses to control him…to transform the man I knew into a monster."

"You…you…you knew B--" Vengeance shoots Jackson a warning look, and the interviewer tugs on his collar as the name evaporates into a squeak. "Er…you knew the red-haired gentlemen we're talking about before he came to Hollyweird?"

"Once," Vengeance rumbles.

"And you're here too…"

"I came here to serve two masters," Vengeance says. "One is redemption…the other is vengeance. If he will not be redeemed, then the man he used to be will be avenged. If he will not listen to reason, then he will listen to blood."

Vengeance turns and walks off-camera before Jackson can ask another question, and AJ breathes a sigh of relief. "I don't mind saying, that man scares the pants off me," he says. "Back to you, Kyle and Jason…."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/JohnnyStones.jpg w/http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/UKDragon.jpg vs. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/LarryWood.jpg w/http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/AlysianScottsfield.jpg

Rolling Johnny Stones w/UK Dragon vs. Larry Wood w/Billy Wood

It's not great, but it's mercifully brief – two of the lesser lights from the tag-team division meet in the centre of the ring, and nothing seems to go right for Rolling Johnny Stones from that point on. He makes the mistake of locking up with Wood at the outset, getting out-powered and out-classed, and he never quite gets off the back foot.

Larry Wood dominates, and finishes the match with a Running Big Foot that damn near decapitates his opponent.

Larry Wood defeated Rolling Johnny Stones in 2:48 by pinfall.

Rating: D-

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/LarryWood.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/AlysianScottsfield.jpg

Larry calls for a microphone, and Billy responds by clubbing one of the ring crew and liberating the mic by force. He throws it into the ring and Larry Wood pounds it with a meaty fist, making sure it works.

"How's it going, eh?" Wood bellows, and his nostrils flare as the American crowd starts giggling. "Sure, sure, laugh it up," he shouts. "All it tells me is that you Americans have no idea who you're dealing with. My brother and I have demolished every tag-team in Canada, eh, and--"

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/JoeyFlame.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TeddyFlame.jpg

He's cut off when The Cure's Burn starts playing, and the Blazing Flames appear on the Hollyweird stage.

"Check it out," Joey Flame says, "who knew those two had mouths hidden beneath those beards?"

Billy Wood's hand immediately goes to the wild thatch of beard covering his chin, and anger flashes across his face. Larry Wood just shakes his head. "You shouldn't make fun of the beards, eh. Billy doesn't like it."

"Noo Doot, noo doot." Teddy Flame's faux-Canadian accent is terrible, "'cause they're such fine beards, eh, and they belong to such fine tag-team wrestlers."

Larry Wood takes a few steps forward, placing a hand on his brother's shoulder. Billy Wood snorts and snarls, ready to charge. "Are you making fun of us?" Larry demands.

"Dude, how could we not?" Joey says.

"You really shouldn't do that," Larry Wood says.

"Or what," Teddy says, suddenly serious, "you'll beat us in a tag-team match?"

"For starters, eh."

"Then bring it on, Grizzly Adams," Teddy says. "We've been looking for a challenge to keep us occupied 'til they let the Filth come back, and you look like just the sort of fellas who'll keep us sharp."

"Next week?" Larry asks.

The Flames respond in unison. "Next week."

Larry's grin breaks through the beard, and he pats his brother's shoulder in a calming manner. "Looking forward to it, eh."

Rating: D+

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/EddieChandler.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/GraceHarper_alt1.jpg

We return from a commercial break and Eddie Chandler is in the ring, Grace Harper coiled around him like a B-Movie pin-up girl. The Fabulous One doesn't get a huge response from the crowd, but his actions of the last few weeks have earned him some heat and the smirk he gives the audience tends to do the rest.

"Last week my friends and I tried to hurt Liberty," Chandler says. "It wasn't very nice of us, all things considered, so I wanted to come out here and apologise like a man. Liberty, brother, if you'd like to come down here for a moment…"

Chandler waits, but Liberty doesn't emerge. He turns to the crowd.

"Maybe he needs a little encouragement. Say it along with me - Lib-er-ty! Lib-er-ty! Lib-er-ty!"

Grace Harper joins in, as do a small number of the crowd, but the chant doesn't gain momentum.

"Wow," Chandler says, "you guys suck."

The crowd explodes with boos.

"That gets your attention? What, does the truth hurt? Does it burn your grubby Texan pride like…oh, I don't know…basic hygiene?"

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Liberty.jpg

That seems to do the trick. The opening riff of Cannonball cuts through the arena and Liberty comes striding out onto the ramp, dressed in his wrestling gear.

"Why Liberty," Chandler says, "you have the look of a man who doesn't trust my good intentions."

Liberty's expression is neutral behind the mirrored sunglasses. "You said something about apologising?"

"Indeed I did, indeed I did." Chandler starts pacing back and forth in the ring, matching the momentum of his speech. "You see, I'm sorry my friends and I went out there and beat the hell out of you on last weeks Hollyweird TV. I'm sorry I put you in the Fabulous Stretch and cranked the hold until I heard your ribs creaking. I'm sorry we tried to put your little friend Phoenix out of action…"

The crowd boos all of this, not buying into the sentiment, and Liberty nods to recognise their point.

"Quit stalling, Chandler," the free spirit says. "Either you tell which of your boys I'm beating, or I step into that ring and show you exactly why you shouldn't mess with me."

"Liberty, brother, you cut me to the quick." Chandler stops pacing, head turning towards the stage. "I'm 100% serious, buddy. I'm really sorry we did those things...

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/BooSmithson.jpg

A thundering crack echoes across the arena as Jack Dundee steps onto the stage and waffles Liberty with a chair.

"Of course, I'm mostly sorry because we should have done things that were much, much worse," Chandler says. "That's the bad news, Liberty, but here's the good news – you want a member of Global Excellence in the ring, then Jack Dundee's perfectly happy to oblige you."

Chandler's evil grin is triumphant as Dundee drags a woozy Liberty down to the ring and rolls him in, clearly intending to start the match.

Rating: C+

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Liberty.jpg vs. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/BooSmithson.jpg w/http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/EddieChandler.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/GraceHarper_alt1.jpg

Liberty vs. Jack Dundee

Liberty isn't quite coherent, but instinct kicks in and he starts fighting back despite the chair shot to the head. Jack Dundee gets plenty of offense, but every shot he takes costs him one in return, and as the fight progresses Liberty seems to gather hits wits and start taking control. He starts hitting the ropes and building momentum before each move, utilizing the constant motion that's become his trademark...and then Dundee ducks a clotheline, spins on dime, and immediately drops Liberty with a DDT.

The pace slows from there as Dundee works on Liberty's back, building to the succession of backbreaker's that have become the signature of his tag-team work. Liberty takes two in rapid succession, but grabs the rope when Dundee goes for the third, blocking the move long enough to kick free.

It signal's the beginning of a fight-back as Liberty starts gaining speed. He hits the shoulder block, scoop-slam combo that usually sets up his run towards the Liberation Slam, but—

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/EricTyler.jpg

Eric Tyler slithers under the bottom rope, taking advantage of Eddie Chandler's distraction of the referee. He immediately hits a backbreaker of his own on Liberty, buying Dundee some breathing space, and the Australian crawls over and starts pounding on his grounded opponent.

For a few short seconds the match devolves into Dundee firing off right hands at Liberty's skull, bludgeoning him for all he's worth. Once again a semi-conscious Liberty responds on instinct, hooking a small package onto his opponent to pick up a quick three-count and the victory.

Liberty defeated Jack Dundee in 8:13 by pinfall.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/PaulSteadyfast.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/JoelBryant.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RobertOxford.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/WandaFish.jpg

The Untouchables are walking backstage, heading for their locker room. When they arrive they find Wanda Fish standing outside their door, every inch the corporate assistant, making notes on the clipboard she's carrying.

"Well, boys," she says, "time to make a decision."

Steadyfast glances over both shoulders, getting the nod from both members of the Specialists. "Listen," he says, "it's not that we don't appreciate the offer, and I'm all for it, it's just..."

Wanda ignores Steadyfast delivers a devastating, if slightly evil, smile to the two veteran members of the Untouchables. "You want some proof I can do what I say?"

Joel Bryant nods. Robert Oxford just gives her the same cold, remorseless stare he gives everyone.

"I can do that." Fish removes a sheet of paper from the clip board and passes it over. "These are my estimates for the next six months," she says, "and notes on how we're going to reach them. You three have potential, lots of potential. You have sixty seconds to study them and make the decision. After that, I'm gone and the offer goes to someone else. The Nation of Filth, perhaps. They seem like a pair of boys who could use--"

It's Robert Oxford who interrupts her. "Enough."

Everyone does a double-take, staring at the quiet veteran.

"You're in," he said. "Ten percent of all winnings we bring in."

"I was thinking fifteen," Fish counters.

"And we'll settle on twelve percent and everybody's happy," Steadyfast says, grinning widely as he drapes one arm around Fish's shoulders. "So lets go celebrate our partnership and work out who our first targets are going to be."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RomeoHeartthrob.jpg

Romeo Heartthrob struts down to the ring, wearing a heavy coat. "I look out on this arena, and I can't help but feel sorry for the ladies of San Antonio," he says. "So I'm going to give them a sneak peak at the thing they're going to be picturing when they make love to you butterballs later tonight…."

Heartthrob opens his jacket and poses for a second, showing off the chiselled physique that's become his trademark. Tanned, oiled flesh gleams in the spotlight as he rubs a hand across his pectorals. The crowd, quite naturally, boos.

"Alright," Heartthrob says, "now that I've done my community service, it's time--"

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/AngryGilmore.jpg

He's cut off by the arrival of Tom Gilmore as the young, straight-edge wrestler comes down to the ring. Gilmore is dressed in a hoodie and ragged jeans, every inch the smart-ass punk, and he waves down the roar of the crowd as he rolls into the ring with Heartthrob.

"Hi," Gilmore says, "how'ya going? You mind putting all that--" he waves a hand at Heartthrob's exposed chest, gleaming with oil "-- away for a moment? I think you and I need to talk."

"We don't talk, Gilmore, we--"

Heartthrob's cut off by a big right hand from Gilmore. He falls on his butt, one hand thrown his face, and immediately starts scrambling towards the ropes.

"I'm sorry, did I say talk," Gilmore shouts, scrambling after Heartthrob, firing off kicks. "I think I meant fight, you son-of-a-bitch. Lets do this now, you and me."

Heartthrob hits ringside and quickly puts some distance between himself and Gilmore. It does little to stop his pursuer though - Tom Gilmore throws himself over the top rope and starts stalking his opponent.

"You're all about the mind-games, Heartthrob," he shouts, following Heartthrob up the ramp. "You're all about getting inside people's heads. Well you know what's inside my head, you sick bastard? Anger. Lots of anger. Did you ever consider what might happen if you started digging?"

Romeo hits the curtain, still carrying the microphone he used at the beginning of the segment. All sign of fear leaves his face as he turns towards Gilmore. "Actually," Heartthrob says, "I did."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TribalWarrior.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Java.jpg

And then there's a blur as two savages charge through the curtain, thundering down the ramp towards Gilmore. Both men stand over six feet tall and have builds like tanks, and they waste no time laying into Tom Gilmore.

"Do you think I'm stupid, Tom?" Romeo says. "Do you think I didn't do my research on you once I knew we had a match? You might think you're immune to mind-games, junior mint, but you've got more issues than a comic book store and anger's just the easiest way to manipulate you."

There's a sharp crack as Tribal Fury finish Gilmore off, spiking him into the mat with a powerbomb from Warrior that's followed by a diving headbutt from Java.

"See you in three weeks, Tom," Heartthrob says, the he flashes a quick grin towards the crowd. "And ladies, I'll be seeing you in your dreams…'cause it's the only place you'll ever be with a specimen of manhood like me."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/MrLucha1977.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/SpanishSuperfly.jpg w/http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/MissMexico.jpg

vs.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RickSanders.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TheIdahoPunisher.jpg

Lucha Libre Rules

Los Santos start the match with a moment of prayer in their corner, but it's the only moment in the entire match where both men are at rest. They approach the match at full-throttle, making up for their size disadvantage with speed and veteran instincts, disorienting the Wrecking Crew with their south-of-the-border style.

The Wrecking Crew respond with their usual tactic – Rick Sanders grounds the opponents and Punisher pounds them hard. They're obviously targeting Lucha here, trying to contain him, but the high-flying veteran refuses to be contained.

The first pinfall comes fast, only four minutes into the match. Lucha leapfrogs Punisher, diving for his corner, and Superfly comes in with a hurricanrana that traps the brawler's shoulders on the mat. Sam Sparrow drops and counts. One…two…three

Pinfall #1: Los Santos Del Lucha Libre

Sanders slips into the ring, smashing a boot into the back of Superfly's head. Sparrow immediately forces him back, giving Superfly the space to recover, but the moment the referee lets the match resume Sanders is on his opponent again, grounding him and locking in submissions.

A desperate Superfly makes the tag, but it simply delivers the Wrecking Crew what they really want – five un-interrupted minutes to punish Lucha. The Wrecking Crew double-team the lucha legend, dragging him into the wrong part of town, and their punishment culminates in Rick Sanders locking in a Horse Collar. For several excruciating seconds Lucha writhes in pain, but he finally kicks free and gets the hot tag to Superfly.

Superfly goes to the top rope again, but this time the Wrecking Crew are ready. Punisher comes in off a quick tag of his own, catching Superfly's attempted cross-body, and he plants the Mexican into the mat with a powerslam and rolls his opponent up, sneaking both feet onto the ropes in order to ensure it sticks.

Pinfall #2: The Dallas Wrecking Crew

The remainder of the match is all Los Santos, the luchadors fighting back from an underdog position, taking control of the momentum and the match. The match breaks down in the way that all tag-team bouts seem to, resulting in Superfly dropkicking Sanders through the ropes just in time for Lucha to hit the Master Drop on Punisher and secure the win.

Final Pinfall: Los Santos De Lucha Libre

Los Santos de Lucha Libre defeated The Dallas Wrecking Crew in 14:27 at two falls to one.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RipChord.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/CharlieThatcher.jpg

Rip Chord walks out onto the Hollyweird stage, Charlie Thatcher at his side. The Champion applauds slowly before collecting a microphone. "Relax, Lucha," he says, "I'm not here to give you any grief tonight, despite what just happened in that ring. In fact, I'm here to do you have a favour."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/MrLucha1977.jpg

The camera pans to the ring, picking up Lucha's unimpressed stare, before returning to Chord.

"So I've been thinking about Where Angels Fear to Tread," Chord says, "and I've been hearing rumours that Lucha wants a rematch for The Great One's World Heavyweight Championship.

"Ordinarily this isn't the sort of thing I pay attention to - everyone wants a chance at this belt while I'm holding it - but once again our esteemed General Manager is taking his time to sign the match, and that doesn't sit right with me. I don't know about you, Lucha, but I have a pretty good idea why and it's got nothing to do with you proving yourself. I don't want to use a word like nepotism, but we all know Sam Strong's got friends he'd just love to sneak into the main event.

"Me, I believe in recognising talent and pissing Sam off, so I'm going to do a favour, little man - I'm going to agree to the match. The Great One will even agree to do it on your terms - two out of three falls, lucha libre rules, so theres no mistaking the end result."

Once again Chord gets a babyface response from the crowd, one that grows louder when the camera cuts to Lucha and picks up the masked man's triumphant grin.

"I'm telling you this now," Chord says, "because I don't want any excuses. The first time we fought, you got caught by surprise. The second time we fought, you got a sense for what Rip Chord can really do. This time, Lucha, you've got all the time you need to train and prepare for what's coming.

"And when I beat you in two straight falls, you'll have no other choice but to acknowledge I am what I say I am – the best Wrestler in the World, the beginning of a new golden age, and your World Heavyweight Champion."

Once again the camera returns to the ring, where Lucha's smile has wilted slightly, but it doesn't stop the masked man from nodding in agreement.

Rating: A

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Dread.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/EmmaChase.jpg

Dread is walking backstage, a sports bag slung over one shoulder. He turns a corner and spots Emma Chase waiting out the front of his dressing room. Emma glares, arms crossed, but Dread just nods and starts unlocking his door. "Hey."

"Hey."

Emma's glare focuses on the big man. Dread gets his door open and turns to face her. "You wanted to say something?"

"You were supposed to call," Chase says. "It's been a week."

Dread smirks. "I've been busy."

"We were supposed—"

"I've. Been. Busy." The smirk disappears, replaced by a cold stare. Emma looks Dread in the eye for a few seconds, longer than many of his opponents, but eventually she looks away.

"Good," Dread says. "You want to talk, you bring it inside. They—" he jerks a finger at the camera "—don't need to hear."

He disappears behind closed doors. Emma hesitates just a moment, then follows.

"What the hell was that about?" Kyle Rhodes asks.

Rating: B

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RickyDaleJohnson.jpg vs. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/FumihiroOta.jpg

Ricky Dale's in the match looking for some payback for Brent Hill's blinding, but Ota's in no hurry to engage the Texan brawler on his own terms. The masked cruiserweight picks his spots, whittling Ricky Dale down, at one point countering a lariat attempt by latching onto the arm and applying the Ninja Lock.

But San Antonio is Ricky Dale's town, and with the crowd behind him and justice in his heart, the former Sheriff of TWL is nigh unstoppable. He catches a streak of offense, building up to his finisher…

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TroyTornado.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/YosukeNarita_alt.jpg

…and he's cut off only by the arrival of Ronin and Awesome Thunder. Ota's offsiders charge the ring, vaulting onto the apron, and they both throw a handful of pellets across the ring. There's a flash and a loud bang, immediately followed by a billowing cloud of green smoke that obscures all vision in the ring and ringside area for nearly a minute.

When it clears Ricky Dale and referee Sam Sparrow are left standing alone, with no sign of Ota and his compatriots. Sam Sparrow frowns, starting a count, and declares Ricky Dale the winner when he reaches ten and there's no sign of Ota returning.

Cowboy Ricky Dale defeated Fumihiro Ota in 10:23 by count out.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/MontyWalker_alt.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TaylerMorton_alt1.jpg

Monty Walker is waiting in the interview room as the camera cuts away from the match, the rookie Tayler Morton standing beside him. Morton's face is covered in bruises, one eye black, and he glares at the camera in sullen fury.

"This was supposed to make me go away," Walker says, gesturing to his friend's face. "Dread brought Tayler in, he gave him a match, and he beat the hell out of him. Well, big man, in case you haven't noticed, Tayler's still standing, and I plan on taking every bruise and broken blood vessel you gave him out of your damn hide.

"I know you've got Emma in your ear, Dread. I know exactly how seductive she can be, man, especially to an old man like you. And I know she's telling you Monty Walker is going to walk, that he doesn't have the persistence to take beating after beating until he finally gets what he wants.

"Well let me let you in on one thing Emma doesn't know, Dread: Monty Walker's cleared to wrestle again, and that means I'm coming for you. It may be next week, it may be next year, but I'm getting my rematch…

"And this time I plan on beating you."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/DustyStreets.jpg

We return from a commercial break to see Dusty Streets in the centre of the ring, dressed in street clothes. "Alright," he says, "let's get down to business.

"This thing with me and Peter Valentine, it's getting out of hand. He crosses a line, I beat him down for it. He hides behind Sam Strong, I find a way to get what I want. The both of us have been in this business for a while, and we both know how these things end. Some things you resolve in the ring, some things you don't.

"So Pete, I want you to think about this. I want you to think real damn hard. 'Cause I'm about to give you a shot at the one thing you've been wanting since this company started – a Hollyweird without Dusty Streets.

"Peter, At Where Angels Fear to Tread, I want you in an I Quit match. We're going to beat the hell out of one another, Peter, and one of us is going to break.

"And the one who breaks, he's out of here. His contract with Hollywierd is suspended, he walks out of the arena, and he doesn't come back.

"That's how bad I want you gone, Peter. I'm putting my twenty-year career on the line.

"And if you want me gone, all you have to do is come out here and do the same."

Voodoo Child echoes across the arena as the General Manager, Sam Strong, strides out onto the stage.

"Dusty, you've got some stones on you, brother," Strong says, "but if you want that match, you're going to the Board of Directors to make it happen. There's no way I'm authorizing you and Peter Valentine in a no holds barred fight, especially one with that kind of stipulation. As General Manager of this company it's my job to protect our assets.

"And that means all our assets, brother, the ones I like…

"…and the ones I don't.

"You can ask for the match all you want brother, you can take it to whoever you want in the management above me, but I'll fight you every step of the way. You and Valentine are two of my best brother - one just a little better than the other - and the only way this match happens is over my dead body."

Rating: B+

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/LarryVessey.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/BryanVessey.jpg w/http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/CoachDickPangrazzio.jpg

vs.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/DemonSpite.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/DemonAnger.jpg w/http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/ProfessorNero.jpg

The Vessey Brothers w/Coach Dick Pangrazzio vs. The Demons of Rage w/Professor Nero

HGC World Tag-Team Championship

TWL Tag-Team Championship

Tempers run high from the outset, and the San Antonio crowd is treated to an eighteen minute brawl between two of the best teams in the business. Eugene Williams loses track of the legal man earl and simply lets things run its course, following the action and enforcing the rules as best he can.

Even with tempers running high, there's teamwork aplenty for fans of tag-team wrestling. Both sides break out double-teams, partners are there to break up pinfalls, and both managers are there to run interference for their clients.

The Vessey's get the advantage about eighteen minutes in when Larry connects with a desperate Sick Cycle on Demon Spite. Larry makes the cover, but Spite kicks out. Larry covers again, the toe of his boot caught beneath the bottom rope, and when Sam Sparrow starts counting Nero goes wild.

The Mad Professor immediate hauls the referee out of the ring, swinging with his cane, and Sam Sparrow calls for the Disqualification.

The Vessey Brothers defeated The Demons Of Rage in 18:10 when the Demons were disqualified.

Overall: C+

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RipChord.jpg

"I've got nothing but respect for Sam Strong," Chord says, "but I don't think there's any doubt that he made the wrong decisions with the talent he had when Hollyweird started. He looked at the names and figured he'd fight the Eisens at their own game – big name stars, big personalities, big matches built around storylines. That worked, to a certain extent, because there were people who were nostalgic for the names we had – fans who really wanted to see one last Chord versus Strong match, stuff like that.

"I had plenty of hesitations about following up Sam's run, not least because me and Strong were friends, but there were still plenty of things that'd frustrated me in those first six months. His approach is all about the big match atmosphere - the culmination of storylines and angles - but it doesn't help when your roster contains lots of unknowns. When you're pushing unknowns you're constantly answering the question why: why does this match matter? Why should we care if they win or lose? Why should we support this wrestler instead of the other one?

"Used to be those questions were easy to answer, but it's one of those things we lost when the Eisen's took over, when matches just happened to fill time between skits, and I wanted to see if we could start answering those questions again. It kinda worked - although I'll admit Tommy and his team finally nailed it when the dumped the Hollyweird Brand, and in a lot of ways it was a dry run for the rules I instituted in MAW…"

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/JasonAzaria.jpg

"Now here's a little something you may not know…" Jason Azaria makes his first appearance on the Big Red Couch. The long-time HGC/TCW announcer looks particularly pleased to be there, delivering a big grin to the camera as soon as he finishes his trademark line.

"Alright," he says, "seriously this time, it's not hard to see the difference between Rip Chord and Sam Strong as bookers. Just look at where the two of them ended up after retiring – Sam's company is all about the comedy and the gimmicks, Rips is all about teaching young guys to go in the ring. Rip knows MAW isn't gonna compete with other companies in terms of characters - they're young guys, still trying to get fans invested - but he builds matches and sells fans on some quality wrestling and makes sure there's always a reason for the bouts. It's a mindset, you know? Chord has it, Phil Vibert has it, Tommy and Joel both have it in spades, and it makes the commentators job infinitely more difficult because every match - every single one - needs to be turned into something important.

"From our point of view – mine and Kyle's, I mean – replacing Sam Strong was a dream come true. We knew the two of us had chemistry, right from the first show we called together, and it's because we both have very similar ideas about how wrestling should be presented on television and what the audience needs to know. One of the first things Rip did when he took over the booking is meet with the two us and tell us about the company's new direction, and for all the challenges it presented, it was something we couldn't wait to sink our teeth into.

"So we talked about the ways he'd like us to do that, and he mentioned a couple of things he'd like us to try, and somewhere along the line I came up with the idea of just peppering the commentary with small facts about the training or previous matches. I started chatting with the boys backstage, just asking questions and making notes, and somewhere along the way…well, somewhere long the way I discovered a wealth of things that could make our wrestlers seem more legitimate, even guys like Valentine who weren't necessarily future ring generals, and we found the sources of motivation that could give each match something extra..."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/LeeWright.jpg

Lee Wright leans against a half-constructed NYCW ring, the ring crew working around him. "The first night after he took over, Chord gathered the boys together and made a speech," he says. "He told us that whatever happened in the past, remained in the past, and then he told us how he wanted to proceed into the future – by embracing the fact Hollyweird had the best wrestlers in the world and giving us all the opportunity to showcase that fact.

"I thought it was a load of crap, to be honest, just another booker telling the boys what they wanted to hear. Turns out he was right, though; the commentary team started planting seeds, re-educating the television fans who'd been taught to discount ring-work by Supreme, and after a couple of weeks the difference started filtering in through the ratings, even when relative unknowns like me and Ray were coming out to wrestle another unknown tag-team.

"It really sunk in that the whole thing was working towards the end of June. We were working a dark-match with a bunch of teams Hollyweird was developing – young guys who could go, but didn't quite have the tag psychology down yet – and the crowd was totally into it despite the fact that none of us had had more than a few minutes of exposure on air. And we're talking, like, the kind of response we got in Japan at the time, where me and Ray were coming off the back of the longest Pride Tag-Team Title run in the company's history.

"We walked backstage after the match, and Ray was just kind of sitting there, utterly blown away, asking what the **** just happened out there. And what happened is Rip Chord proved you could have a major American promotion whose fans responded to workrate, laying the seeds for everything Cornell would emphasise when he took over the promotion a few years later.."

HGC Hollyweird TV

- Episode 19 Preview -

There's tag-teams lining up to be part of the inaugural Tag-Team Stampede in May and we'll be kicking off the show with two of the best: the veteran duo of The Blazing Flames versus Canada's resident wild men – The Wood Brothers. With so many up-and-coming teams wanting a chance to win the $100,000 it seems every loss and victory matters between now and Total Mayhem.

In the first of two matches requested by the Untouchables new management, Paul Steadyfast will be in action against the high-flying Electrico. Wanda Fish is promising victory for her new client, but Steadyfast's record against luchadors is far from promising.

Fumhiro Ota's issues with Ricky Dale and Brent Hill take a back seat this week, with the ninja leader offering a challenge to the man who never refuses an opportunity to perform, the free spirited Liberty.

Wanda Fish has secured another showcase for her Untouchable clients, this time in the form of tag-team action as The Specialists take on Jimmy Cox & Ramon Paez - the Wild Americans. This one isn't just about securing a berth in the Stampede – a victory here could well see the Americans elevated onto the main show roster.

Two big men collide when Dread and Vengeance meet in the middle of the squared circle. It promises to be a brawl you don't want to miss.

And finally, in our main event, Rip Chord gets his first taste of Mexican rules when he faces Spanish Superfly in a lucha libre match. It'll be the best two out of three falls in this none-title bout, and you can be sure Mr Lucha will be watching Superfly's back to ensure none of Chord's cronies interfere.

Spanish Superfly vs. Rip Chord - Non-Title Lucha Libre Match

Vengeance vs. Dread

The Wild Americans vs. The Tag-Team Specialists

Liberty vs. Fuhihiro Ota

Electrico vs. Paul Steadyfast

The Blazing Flames vs. The Wood Brothers

I really like this diary, I started reading it a couple of days ago. I am not fully caught up but I thought I would so some support for you while I catch up.

All signs may point to Rip possibly losing (Non-Title match, Lucha Rules) but I think that there is no chance of that happening.

Vengeance vs. Dread

Hugh Robert Oxford fan here.

Liberty vs. Fuhihiro Ota

Hahaha. NO.

Vengeance vs. Dread

Could go either way just a hunch here.

The TTS need the momentum here

Liberty vs. Fuhihiro Ota

Main Event or a future legend killer... Main Event

Batroom break

Overness beats sobriety

HGC Hollyweird TV

Tuesday, Week 3, April 1997

Minnesota Coliseum (Mid-West) – 7,439 people

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/MontyWalker_alt.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TaylerMorton_alt1.jpg

The show starts with Walk This Way as Monty Walker makes his way out to the ring, Tayler Morton at his side. Both men are dressed in what passes for street clothes – threadbare jeans with holes at the knee, slightly faded band shirts, the gleaming black leather jackets the only signs of affluence. Walker collects a microphone and rolls into the ring.

"The Doctor's say I'm good to go," Walker says, "and that means I've got one thing on my mind – Dread. Now I know he's back there, preparing for his match, being all I am the human juggernaut, I am unstoppable, but I'm calling him out and I ain't leaving this ring until he comes out here."

Walker looks towards the stage, expectant, but all he gets is silence.

"Come on, Dready-boy," he says. "I know you're back there, and I know you aren't afraid of me. Get your lard-ass out here."

Still nothing.

"Don't make me come back there, Dread, I'll—"

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Dread.jpg

Walker's rant is cut off when Dread comes in over the guard rail, spearing the already-injured Tayler Morton into the ring apron. Morton folds in half in the aftermath, curling up to try and fight the pain, but Dread isn't done – he picks up the smaller man and slams him into the concrete floor.

Monty Walker chooses that moment to intervene, diving over the top rope to land a big splash. He brawls with Dread for a few minutes, but the Human Juggernaut finishes the fight with a brutal lariat.

Dread immediately calls for a microphone. "Get the clue, Walker," he snarls. "You and I, we're done."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/JoeyFlame.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TeddyFlame.jpg vs. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/LarryWood.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/AlysianScottsfield.jpg

The Wood Brothers are the aggressors in this one, a hungry tag-team with something to prove. It gets particularly ugly when they trap Teddy Flame in the wrong part of town, thrown into the corner, and subjected to a beat-down that ends with Larry Wood delivering a devastating facewash.

But the Flames are veterans and they're at their best when they're fighting back against the odds. Teddy escapes the mauling and dives for the corner, starting the come-back that eventually sees Larry Wood get crotched on the ropes when Joey Flame ducks the running big boot and Billy Wood get pinned when Teddy hits the Flame On and makes a cover.

The Blazing Flames defeated The Wood Brothers in 7:20 by pinfall.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/JoeyFlame.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TeddyFlame.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/ProfessorNero.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/DemonSpite.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/DemonAnger.jpg

The Blazing Flames trade celebratory high-fives, but the jubilation is short lived; the familiar tap of Professor Nero's cane on the steel stage gives a few seconds warning before the Demons appear, marching towards the ring while their manager collects a microphone on the stage.

The Flames spread out, anticipating an attack, while the Demons start circling the ring.

"Teddy and Joey, The Blazing Flames," Nero says. "One of the top tag-teams in Hollyweird, if you listen to the fans, and this is one of those rare instances where the idiot fans may be right. Multi-time champions, veterans of the sport, twenty-five years of experience as a team. Your presence in this company is an irritation we've been forced to endure.

"And now, I suspect, there are those who expect you to be next in line for a short at the tag-team championship. This too is an irritation, and one the Demons will not endure. Anger, Spite, if you'd care to do the honours…"

The Flames see the attack coming and do their thing, launching twin baseball slides against the Demons to prevent them climbing into the ring. It gives the red-haired brothers a momentary advantage, but also brings the fight to ringside…and ringside is the place where the Demons can do the most damage. Within a few seconds both Teddy and Joey have been choke-slammed into the concrete.

"Consider this a warning," Nero says. "The Demons of Rage should be champions - would be champions, were it not for the incompetence of Hollyweird officials - and we will eliminate all other competition until we're granted a rematch."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RickyDaleJohnson.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/DarkEagle.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/BrentHill.jpg

We go to the Coliseum car park, where Ricky Dale and Dark EAGLE are helping Brent Hill out of a taxi. The King of the Hill's in rough shape – he wears dark sunglasses to hide the damage to his eyes, and there's still the faint stain of the purple mist Ota used to blind him.

Ricky Dale notices the camera. "Two weeks," he says. "Two weeks since Ota used the mist to blind Brent Hill, and the man still can't see. Doctors say he may never see again, not one hundred percent, and that don't sit right with me. I tried to get some payback for him, to show Ota what happens when he messes with one of the Cowboy's friends, but mister fancy-pants ninja boy didn't want to fight.

"Well, Ota, that's tough luck, partner, 'cause me and Eagle, we're a posse looking for justice, and your ninja squad ain't got what it takes to stop us. We're going to hunt you down, partner, and we're going to get some payback for Brent."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Elctrico.jpg vs. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/PaulSteadyfast.jpg w/http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/WandaFish.jpg

Electrico vs. Paul Steadyfast w/Wanda Fish

Kyle Rhodes speculates that Wanda Fish picked Electrico for this match because he's a soft-target among the HGC Luchadors – young, relatively inexperienced, and underexposed. The young lucha wrestles like he's trying to prove the commentator wrong, but he lacks Mr Lucha's ability to pop a crowd with big moves or the raw charisma of a Superfly, and once it becomes apparent that Steadyfast's fortunes may be turning around the crowd switches off and takes the opportunity to replenish their popcorn. It's ends with Steadyfast applying a sleeper, then transitioning it into the Slingshot Suplex when Electrico tries to break free.

Paul Steadyfast defeated Eléctrico in 6:20 by pinfall.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/ActionJackson.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/CoachDickPangrazzio.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/LarryVessey.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/BryanVessey.jpg

The All-Star team crowds into the interview stage with Action Jackson. Jackson clears his throat before speaking. "I'm here with the All-Star team and the man who put Hollyweird's tag-teams into a tizzy last week when he announced the inaugural Tag-Team Stampede. Boys, I've got to ask you, with the Demons of Rage in your rear-view mirror, what—"

"HEY!" Pangrazzio's bellow drowns out the rest of Jackson's introduction. "Listen up, you muck-digger, who said we were done with the Demons of Rage? The Vessey Boys came to Hollyweird because it's the place where the world comes to wrestle, the place where they could find the best competition out there and prove the only thing worth proving – that they are the best damn tag-team in the world today.

"The Vessey's are fighting champions. You want a shot, step up and say the word, 'cause we're ready to take on all comers. This company is full of talent, known and unknown, and we welcome the opportunity to meet any team, from the Ontario Kings to the Kamiaze to the Tag-Team Specialist, right there in that ring.

"Only that can't happen 'til we put the Demons behind us, 'cause somehow they ain't got the message that they've been coming up second best. They're out there scaring off the competition, doing their best to kill teams who might be moving into title contention, and they angling for another shot

"Well, we ain't scared of the Demons, so I tell them to bring it on. And since Nero keeps flapping his mouth about the rules being used against him, lets make our next match as definitive as you can get - The Vessey Boys versus the Demons of Rage in a No Holds Barred streetfight at Where Angels Fear to Tread.

"The Vessey Boys are the Hollyweird World Tag-Team Champions. They are the All-Star Team of wrestling. And they aren't going down to a pair of palookas like the Demons of Rage, no matter how tough the fight may be."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Liberty.jpg

Cannonball hits and Liberty comes striding down to the ring, a fringe-lined jacket worn over his wrestling gear. He calls for a microphone after hitting the ring, and one of the ring crew throws it in.

"Usually I'm a laid-back kinda dude," he says, "but it seems people keep mistaking that for me being a sucker. First Eddie Chandler and his buddies pick a fight, now Fumihiro Ota's calling me out. Seems everyone wants to beat on Liberty to prove something to the world, all because Sam Strong and I hang from time to time.

"It sucks, but that's life, yeah? And it's not like Liberty turns down a challenge. Ota, get out here, let's get this done."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TroyTornado.jpg

theme song plays across the arena, but the man who emerges isn't Ota – instead Ronin walks out onto the stage, kendo stick in one hand, microphone in the other.

"This honoured one has been sent forth to speak for Master Ota," he says, "who wishes to correct your misunderstanding about the nature of tonight's match. He doesn't challenge you because he wants to make a name, nor because he feels the need to compete. That is not the way of the ninja, for our path is the path of shadows.

"We aren't wrestlers. We don't do this for pride, or for victory. We are shinobi - assassins and mercenaries. We do what is necessary because that's what we were trained for…what we were paid for…"

"First up," Liberty says, "dude, I gotta give it to you, that mesh shirt is styling. Who knew secret ninja socieities listened to so much Trent Reznor?"

The taunt earns a scowl from Ronin, although it draws some laughter from the crowd.

"Secondly," Liberty says, "if all that's true, why in hell would you come out here and tell me? It doesn't seem terribly sneaky to tell someone you've been paid to take them out."

"Ah," Ronin says, "I see you misunderstand my purpose also."

"Along with your fashion sense," Liberty says. "So tell me, Ronin, what exactly are you here for?"

"Misdirection." Ronin holds his kendo stick aloft, and it seems to serve as a signal.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/FumihiroOta.jpg

It works. No-one notices Ota in the ring until the ninja plants a kick into the back of Liberty's knees, following it up with a strike to the kidneys and a elbow strike to the shoulder. Liberty drops to the canvas, instinctively rolling away from the attack, and Ota signals to the referee to start the match.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Liberty.jpg vs. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/FumihiroOta.jpg

Liberty vs. Fuhihiro Ota

It's the biggest match of Ota's HGC tenure, and despite the advantages he enjoys in the opening it seems he finds himself a little rattled by the experience. The initial flurry of offense is cut off when Liberty makes it to the ropes, pulling himself upright while the referee pushes Ota off, then launching his own flurry of offense while continuing to sell the injuries inflicted by the initial assault.

The roar of the crowd seems to throw Ota off his game, which means he occasionally lets Liberty's offense roll a move or two longer than he should before cutting it off, taking the bigger man down with a series of nerve strikes and kicks. Eventually the ninja latches in the Ninja Lock, but Liberty makes it to the ropes to break the hold. When that tactic fails, Ota launches a series of spinning kicks, one of which "accidentally" catches referee Eugene Williams.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TroyTornado.jpg

Ronin's the first man in the ring, snapping the kendo stick into Liberty's back twice. Liberty takes the beating, turns, and catches the American ninja with a spinebuster.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/YosukeNarita_alt.jpg

Awesome Thunder does slightly better, charging into the ring to pepper Liberty with a series of stiff kicks, but Liberty eventually rebounds off the ropes and takes him down with a clotheline.

The finish comes when Liberty ducks a Ninja Strike and hits Ota with the Liberation Slam.

Liberty defeated Fumihiro Ota in 9:32 by pinfall.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RomeoHeartthrob.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Java.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TribalWarrior.jpg

The camera cuts to the interview stage where Romeo Heartthrob is waiting, both members of Savage Fury at his side.

"Tom Gilmore wants to make his name, I can't fault the man for that," Heartthrob says. "His only mistake lies in trying to bite off more than he can chew. He did it when he assaulted the World Champion, only Rip Chord is smart enough to ignore him.

"According to Sam Strong, I don't have that option, but Tom Gilmore isn't the only man in this company looking to prove what he can do. My friends Java and Warrior may not be as refined as Tom Gilmore, nor as well-trained, but I'm betting they've get reserves of anger that Tom Gilmore can barely imagine and I have no compunctions about using that anger to my own ends.

"I'm a lover, not a fighter, and it breaks my heart to make threats.

"But Tom Gilmore, if you come near me again, you'll find out just how furious the Savage Fury can be."

Sam Strong sits in his office backstage, running through some paperwork while the monitor on his desk runs through highlights from the last match. He's interrupted by someone kicking open his door.

Strong rises a tough to fast, winces as pain shoots down his neck. "Peter? Brother, what the hell? I just--"

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/PeterValentine.jpg

"Shut. Your. Mouth." Peter Valentine darts into the room, planting both sets of knuckles on the desk-top as he leans in to glare at Strong. "Who do you think you are, Sam? I just heard you went out there last week and made me look like a punk--"

"Brother, I just---"

"LIKE. A. PUNK," Valentine roars. "What, you think I'm afraid of Dusty Streets? You think I'm not willing to put my career on the line, just like he is? Maybe he's right about your ego, Sam, but I don't want you're coddling. Peter Valentine fights his own battles."

Strong raises an eyebrow. "You done?"

"Not even close," Valentine says. "Listen up…buddy.

"You're going to sign that match with Streets, you're going to agree to his ridiculous stipulation, and you're going to stay out of things from that point forward. Me and him, we can't be in the same company any longer, Sam. At Where Angels Fear to Tread, I'm going to make Dusty Streets quit and I'm personally going to escort him out of the building."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RichardBlood.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/JimmyCox.jpg w/http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/AprilAppleseed.jpg

vs.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/JoelBryant.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RobertOxford.jpg w/http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/WandaFish.jpg

The Wild Americans w/Victoria Corbett vs. The Tag-Team Specialists w/Wanda Fish

A solid tag-team bout, given who is involved; the Wild Americans have made numerous appearances in our dark match bouts, but this is their main-show debut and they're eager to acquit themselves well against the veteran Specialists. And once again the commentary revolves around the fact that both teams have registered their interest in the Tag-Team Stampede and its rich winners purse.

The real story here, however, is the new aggression with which the Specialists attack their foes while Wanda Fish is in their corner. The young woman gives orders, honing the already lethal Specialist's attack, and it's obvious Fish knows her wrestling. Despite this, the Americans keep coming back from the brink, a fact Azaria attributes to the teams hunger and Jimmy Cox's experience wrestling in Japan.

For a few short minutes it appears the Tag-Team Specialists' loosing streak seems like it's going to continue, but in the final moments Bryant distracts the referee while Fish hands Robert Oxford a knee pad. Oxford straps the knee-pad on before hitting a running knee lift on Jimmy Cox – one that hits with devastating impact and drops him for good.

The Tag Team Specialists defeated The Wild Americans in 5:59 by pinfall.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/WandaFish.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/JoelBryant.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RobertOxford.jpg

Fish climbs into the ring with her clients, raising their hands into the air. She then calls for a microphone. "Start tracking the scorecards," Fish says, "because the Untouchables are two-and-oh tonight, and that's only going to get better in the weeks to come. There's a new Era beginning for Paul Steadyfast and the Specialist, and it begins with two things: winning the Tag-Team Stampede and walking away with the prize money, and eliminating the Luchadors from Hollyweird competition.

"If you doubt we can do it, then you're welcome to stand in our way."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/ActionJackson.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RipChord.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/CharlieThatcher.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RickSanders.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TheIdahoPunisher.jpg

The camera cuts to the interview stage, where Action Jackson is waiting alongside Rip Chord and his offsiders.

"Strong words against the Luchadors from Miss Fish," Jackson says, "but I'm here with a man eager to say a few things to say to Mister Lucha as well. Rip Chord, you've had a long and distinguished career, but tonight is the first time you'll ever wrestle a match under lucha libre rules. Now you're stepping into the ring with Spanish Superfly, a man whose mastery of lucha-libre has made him a champion in the both Mexico's largest wrestling companies…"

Chord removes his sunglasses and stares at Jackson. "Do you have a point?"

"Well," Jackson says, "I guess we're all wondering if you're worried about the match?"

"Worried? WORRIED?" Chord laughs and taps his hand against the World Title around his waist. "I'm Rip Chord, Action Jackson: The Great One; The Beginning of the Next Golden Age of wrestling; the World Heavyweight Champion. I am the pinnacle of pro-wrestling in this company and beyond, and you want to know if I'm worried."

Chord shakes his head, disgusted, and puts his sunglasses back on. He proceeds to ignore Action Jackson as he speaks directly to the camera.

"There are very few matches I haven't been in over the course of my career, but if there's one thing that makes me Rip Chord, it's my ability to rise and meet any challenge. Spanish Superfly is a dangerous competitor; I have no doubt of that. He's a champion in his homeland, that's something to be respected; he's the man hand-picked to be Mister Lucha's tag-team partner, that's something to be respected; he's a man more familiar with this kind of match, and he's a man with an enormous opportunity in front of him. If I beat Superfly, no-ones going to blink. If Superfly beats me, he's front-page news in every sports section and wrestling website within twenty-four hours.

"Of course I'm worried, Action Jackson. That's what it means to be a champion, to be at the peak of your sport. Every day you worry about someone coming along whose that little bit better for three short seconds, then you go out and you train and you work hard and you try to put that moment off for another match. You do it knowing that it will mean nothing, because the fans will still hate you, still spit on you, still curse your existence. You do it because there is no choice, because not doing it means you're a lesser man.

"And so we come to tonight's match. Superfly has his opportunity, but so do I, because tonight I take away one of the weapons Mister Lucha could have used against me at Where Angels Fear to Tread. I get a taste for what's coming before it arrives, a chance to hone my preparations before my belt is on the line.

"This is what you'd call a tactical error on Lucha's part, and I plan on making him pay for it. Because in two weeks I defend my World Heavyweight Championship, and I plan on walking out exactly the same way I walked in: Rip Chord, the Great One, your World Heavyweight Champion.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Vengeance.jpg vs. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Dread.jpg w/http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/EmmaChase.jpg

Vengeance vs. Dread w/Emma Chase

Vengeance and Dread are pitched as near equals, with Kyle Rhodes suggesting that it may have something to do with the inability to scout Vengeance due to the mystery that surrounds the skull-faced wrestler. They brawl, and there's no doubt that Dread is the better fighter, but Vengeance keeps absorbing punishment and coming back for more.

Finally, Dread gets Vengeance up for the Dread bomb. Vengeance fights back, firing punches at the Juggernaut's skull, and manages to get free. He tries to set up the Vengeance Drop, but Dread counters, leading to another stalemate.

Finally Dread rolls out of the ring, taking a moment of respite, and Sam Sparrow's attention remains focused on the juggernaut.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TysonBaine.jpg

And BLZ Bubb seizes the moment, hitting the ring with a length of chain wrapped around his fist. There's one punch delivered to the back of Vengeance skull before the Demon Seed rolls free of the ring, and even that isn't enough to stop him. Vengeance goes down on one knee, woozy and stunned, but he fights back to his feet.

And this time Dread is there. The Dread Bomb is locked in and he hammers Vengeance home, making the cover that ends the match.

Dread defeated Vengeance in 11:52 by pinfall.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TysonBaine.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Vengeance.jpg

BLZ Bubb climbs back into the ring after the match, nostrils flaring as he stands over Vengeance's body. One meaty hand reaches out and grabs the skull-faced warrior's head. "Bring. Her. Back."

Vengeance pushes BLZ Bubb away, fighting to his feet as he does so. BLZ Bubb charges in again, but Vengeance blocks the punch and grabs the Demon Seed by the throat. "She's gone, Tyson," the skull-faced warrior says, "she can't come back."

BLZ Bubb's face contorts with rage, both hands wrapping around Vengeance's throat as he does so. "Don't call me that."

For a moment the two men are locked together, hands on one another's throats, but slowly BLZ Bubb gets the upper hand.

"Tyson…" Vengeance says.

"SHUT UP."

"It's your name, Tyson," Vengeance squeaks. "You need to remember it."

"SHUT UP." BLZ Bubb squeezes, shoulders flexing, and Vengeance slowly sinks to his knees as the breath. Jason Azaria's selling the moment like someone's going to die, and the fans are right there with him as Vengeance's hand goes slack.

Then, at the very last minute, BLZ Bubb release his grip with a roar and backs away, clearly troubled by his inability to finish his tormentor off. Vengeance coughs and splutters, drawing in deep breathes, and manages to get to his knees.

"Tyson," he croaks in a small voice, so small the cameras barely pick it up, but it's enough.

BLZ Bubb screams "NO" and flees the ring, crashing through the host of security guards and medical officers making their way down to take control of the situation and get Vengeance medical help.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/MrLucha1977.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/SpanishSuperfly.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/MissMexico.jpg

The show returns from a commercial break, showing a backstage clip of Mister Lucha, Spanish Superfly, and Miss Mexico undergoing their usual pre-match ritual – all three are praying, and finish by making the sign of the cross. "If you've ever wondered why these two are called Los Santos de Lucha Libre," Rhodes says, "this should answer all your questions."

Superfly rises, bouncing on the balls of his feet, as Mr Lucha claps his friend on the shoulder.

"Superfly versus Rip Chord," Azaria says, "It's coming up next."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/SpanishSuperfly.jpg w/http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/MissMexico.jpg vs. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RipChord.jpg w/http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/CharlieThatcher.jpg

Spanish Superfly w/Miss Mexico vs. Rip Chord w/Charlie Thatcher

Lucha Libre Rules, Non-Title

The match starts with Superfly trying to meet Chord on the mat, although there's a noticeably quicker pace to the young Mexican's technical work. Chord digs into his considerable arsenal of counters, leading to a series of back-and-forth holds that quickly gets the crowd invested.

Chord works his opponents neck, looking to weaken Superfly's resistance to the Rip Chord DDT and take away the more impressive elements of Superfly's aerial game. Superfly responds with quick roll-ups and takedowns, coming at Chord in a different direction every time, and once again Chord's lack of familiarity with Lucha Libre traditions makes it difficult for him to predict what's coming. What's worse, his attempt to hit the Rip Chord DDT sees the referee pull him up short, prompting Jason Azaria to remind the fans of lucha libre's exclusion of attacks that target the top of the head. Chord is furious, robbed of one of his primary weapons, and suddenly the tenor of the match changes as the fans see how the rules can benefit both Superfly here and Lucha in the upcoming title match.

The first pinfall occurs ten minutes when Chord falls back on a familiar tactic - cheating. Superfly gets a burst of offense, building to a trip to the top rope where he sets up the Moonsault, and Chord distracts the referee while Thatcher pushes the young luchador off the top rope. Rip Chord immediately makes the cover, putting Superfly one fall down.

Pinfall #1: Rip Chord

Miss Mexico immediately responds to Thatcher's interference, showing no fear as she launches herself off the ring apron to catch the Insurance Policy with a tope con hilo. Thatcher collects himself and responds, slamming Miss Mexico into the mat, and he's immediately thrown out by Sam Sparrow, much to the crowd's amusement.

After that the cameras go back to the ring, where Superfly and Chord are once again locking up and trying to outwrestle one another. Superfly is obviously hurting now, but the young luchador shows heart and refuses to give in, holding on for another eight minutes before Chord catches him with the figure four to force a submission and end the match.

Final Pinfall: Rip Chord

Rip Chord defeated Spanish Superfly in 18:19 by two straight falls.

Overall: B-

OoC show notes:

- Thanks to everyone who predicted. I'm fairly sure that four responses is something of a record for one of my dynasties :)

- At this point, seven of my ten best matches involve Rip Chord.

- Of those seven matches, the worst of them is the one that involves another talent who autopushes as a main event level talent (Liberty). Two of them involved talent who autopushed as a lower-midcarder at the time (Superfly and Dark EAGLE). I fully expect that my next A rated match will be some throw-away involving Chord and a mid-card cruiserweight.

- I've actually caught up to the parts of the dynasty I'd pre-written, so I'm writing as I go from here on. Hopefully this shouldn't slow things down.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/JoelBryant.jpg

"The core of the new booking philosophy was simple," Bryant says. "Funny don't draw.

"Not that we were pushing a lot of comedy gimmicks at the time, but there were elements there that didn't need to be. Kyle Rhodes was trying to crack jokes on colour, for example, 'cause the conventional wisdom said that's what colour guys do. Anyone whose heard Rhodes talk knows he'll never be a stand-up comic, but the guy has enormous passion for the wrestling business and once you free him up to start talking about the psychology of sports, he's a goddamn font of information.

"And there were guys working in CPW – guys Sam had scouted and signed up – who were destined to be comedy underneath guys when they showed up. The hillbillies were there, for example, making their first real run as a tag-team. Panda Mask too, which is one of those gimmicks that only works in wrestling when the fans are in on the joke, letting everyone admit that wrestling is fixed and we’re all pretending otherwise.

"And we are, of course we are, but you don't need to point it out to everyone. DaVE went that way, and it drew a fanatical fan base because of it, but in a lot of ways fanatical is just another word for small but loyal. Nothing wrong with loyal, but small is a problem when you're trying to appeal to a national TV audience.

"So Rip got the booking committee together and we started looking at gimmicks, and we started asking questions about the way we could present guys who leant to towards the absurd without making them seem like a joke.

"Because there is a place for comedy in wrestling – I'd never say there wasn't – but at its core you want it to be about two guys struggling for dominance. One guy wins, one guy loses.

"Funny don't draw, no matter what people say. You can point to examples of goofy gimmicks that have gone over huge, guys like Chris Rockwell headlining Supreme TV while wearing a lobster suit, but there isn't a booker alive who saw Chris work on the indies back in '97 who seriously believes they wouldn't make more money by letting him ditch the latex and go out there to <i>wrestle</i>.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/ProfessorNero.jpg

"When Sam ran the book, there were a lot voices on the committee," Nero says. "Rip Chord went the other direction, stripping the team down to five men as the weeks went by. He ran things, picked the direction we were running in, wrote the major angles and put together the main events.

"He usually handed things off to Dundee, Oxford, and Bryant once that was done, trusting the three of them to fill in the blanks. Bryant had the instincts, even back then, and Oxford's a eye for up-and-coming talent proved beneficial. Dundee retained his spot because Rip was smart enough to recognise he had a relationship with Stallings, and Rip planned on using that in a way Sam Strong never did.

"The three of them – Dundee, Oxford, and Bryant - got along, but there was never enough time – Joel still worked his Japanese commitments, despite the fact that Oxford had come aboard full-time – and that meant Dundee and Oxford did most of the work at house shows, faxing details back to the main office. Both of them worked on Chord to give Joel a full-time contract, I know that. I'm not sure why he didn't have one, given his position, but I imagine it came down to convincing Stallings it was worth it.

"And Rip was saving his cache with Stallings for someone. He pressed me early to go full-time, and when I refused he convinced Stallings I was worth flying in once a week to serve as a consultant when they were writing TV – something that earned me an extra couple of hundred every week. I could have earned more going full-time, but I wasn't really interested in touring anymore than I had to."

HGC Hollyweird TV

- Episode 20 Preview -

There's five days to go until Where Angels Fear to Tread and everyone on the HGC roster is looking for some momentum before the next pay-per-view, none more-so than the two teams in our opening match when Spanish Superfly and Super Lucha take on Rip Chord's protégés, The Dallas Wrecking Crew, and The Insurance Police, Charlie Thatcher.

It's followed up by cruiserweight action between two of the West Coast's best when Tayler Morton meets Fumihiro Ota in the ring. Morton earned his spot in the company thanks to his friendship with Monty Walker, but he needs victories to secure his spot on the main show. Ota is there to make sure that doesn't happen, looking for a win to carry him into Where Angels Fear to Tread and a match against Cowboy Ricky Dale.

Next up is Dusty Streets and Romeo Heartthrob, two veteran presences on the Hollyweird roster who are heading into big matches at the PPV. Both men know how important victory is at this stage of the game, and neither will be pleased with a loss.

Then it's eight-man action as four of the tag-teams vying for a spot in May's $100,000 stampede meet in a four-way fray. One pinfall takes the victory and a step closer to the Stampede match when The Ontario Kings, the Black Rebel Fight Club, the British Knights, and the Wood Brothers clash.

In our semi-main event Peter Valentine faces a daunting opponent when he wrestles the Skull-Faced Warrior, Vengeance. Valentine's walking into Angels with his career on the line, but it'd be a mistake to look past Vengeance given the big man's power and skill.

Finally, in our main event, Mr Lucha faces an opponent hand-picked and paid for by Rip Chord himself –Japanese legend and Shadow Clan member, Awesome Thunder. The Shadow Clan have already eliminated one man from Hollyweird competition when they blinded Brent Hill, and you can bet Chord is hoping they'll do the same here after discovering he'll be without the DDT in his arsenal in his Lucha Rules match come Sunday.

Mr Lucha vs. Awesome Thunder

Vengeance vs. Peter Valentine

The Ontario Kings vs. Black Rebel Fight Club vs. The British Knights vs. The Wood Brothers

Dusty Streets vs. Romeo Heartthrob

Tayler Morton vs. Fumihiro Ota

Spanish Superfly & Super Lucha vs. Charlie Thatcher & The Dallas Wrecking Crew

The Ontario Kings vs. Black Rebel Fight Club vs. The British Knights vs. The Wood Brothers

As much as I really do not like Peter Valentine (Yes I am not a fan of a fictional character) I do think he needs a win here going into Where Angels Fear to Tread.

Religious Luchadores, Masked Ninjas, Awesomeness Oh my!

Another big guy, could go either way match

Just more going for these guys

Could go either way with a Gilmore or Valentine interference

Seriously who is Morton I haven't had a chance to download the 97 database yet

They have the talent and this side needs a win.

Seriously who is Morton I haven't had a chance to download the 97 database yet

It's not a huge secret, but I do have an angle planned (albeit a long way from now) that revolves around Morton adopting his 2005 onwards identity so I'm shying away from mentioning it in-thread.

At the same time, its in my rough plan for Year Three of the dynasty and that's a long ways off given my current pace, so I'll compromise and white the details out in case there's anyone who'd rather not know. Anyone who does can just highlight the following: it's a very young, very green, in-his-first-year-of-the-business Acid.

HGC Hollyweird TV

Tuesday, Week 4, April 1997

Connecticut Symphony Hall (New England) – 7,886 people

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Liberty.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/UltimatePhoenix.jpg

The show starts with Liberty in the ring, Ultimate Phoenix at his side.

"Seven weeks ago this Canadian punk came out here and told me he and his friends were taking my spot," Liberty says, "and for seven weeks those same three guys have been dogging me, running their mouths and interfering in matches, somehow ignoring the fact that they don't exactly have the best win-loss record against me.

"The way I see it, it goes something like this: I stepped into the ring with Eddie Chandler, and I beat him. I've stepped into the ring with Jack Dundee twice, and I've beaten him both times. I've fought the Backbreakers with my man Phoenix here, and my memory may be shaky here, but how'd that end, P"

Phoenix leans close to the microphone. "We kicked their asses, man."

"Damn straight," Liberty says. "Now I hear that Chandler and his boys are making noises backstage, asking Sam Strong for another match, and—"

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/EddieChandler.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/GraceHarper_alt1.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/EricTyler.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/BooSmithson.jpg

"Liberty, Liberty, Liberty." Eddie Chandler walks out onto the Hollyweird stage, the Backbreakers and Grace Harper at his side. "I know you're a free spirit, kid, but that doesn't mean you come out here and lie to these people.

"The way I remember it, my debut match in this promotion was a sacrifice to the future. A disqualification loss that saw me walk away from the ring, and you carried out in a stretcher. Your matches against Dundee? I've seen the tapes, Lib, and both times you limped away from this ring nursing injuries. As for your tag match, you cheated your way to victory there. Ultimate Phoenix was the legal man when you made that cover, and we all know it.

"So what exactly are you claiming here, kid? Who are you trying to convince of your in-ring superiority?"

Liberty just smiles. "I'm not convincing anyone, kemosabe," he says. "Unlike some people out here at the moment, I'm not trying to talk a better game than I actually played."

Dundee bristles at that, ready to charge the ring, but he's held back by Grace Harper and Chandler. Eric Tyler collects the microphone, walking a little way down the ramp. "You don't want to talk, junior" he snarls, "then we won't talk. We came out here to offer a chance to show respect, but it seems your just as bad as the man you've chosen as a mentor, spitting on the traditions that made this sport great.

"Well, that's fine with me. There's nothing I enjoy more than whipping respect into those that need it, and the way I see it, you still haven't got anyone on your dance-card Sunday night. Lets set aside the talking, junior, and let some actions speak for a change."

Liberty raises an eyebrow. "That your way of asking for a match, Tyler? Well, if you want some, dude, then come get some. I'm ready to rumble whenever you are."

Tyler nods, satisfied. "Sunday?"

"Sunday."

"Fair enough." Tyler turns and walks past his stablemates, heading backstage. Chandler and Dundee both follow, shooting angry glares at Liberty as they leave.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/SpanishSuperfly.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Elctrico.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/ElBandido.jpg

vs.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/CharlieThatcher.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RickSanders.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TheIdahoPunisher.jpg

It's a more sedate match than many are expecting, especially with the fevered anticipation surrounding Chord versus Lucha on Sunday night. The fans are expecting a brawl peppered with plenty of lucha high-spots, but what they get is more measured and focused on matwork, robbing the match of its heat.

There are moments, of course: Charlie Thatcher clothes-lining El Bandido over the top rope, sparking a ringside brawl; Electrico's spectacular over-the-top rope plancha that takes out both members of the Wrecking Crew; The Punisher powering Superfly into the turnbuckles in an ugly, devastating variant on the slingshot powerbomb.

But these are rare moments of passion between the exchanges, hints at what could have been, and by the time Bandido picks up the victory with the Higjack Suplex on Punisher the teams have lost much of the crowd's interest.

El Bandido, Eléctrico and Spanish Superfly defeated The Punisher, Rick Sanders and Charlie Thatcher in 8:24 by pinfall.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/LarryWood.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/AlysianScottsfield.jpg

The Silver Screen fires up, showing Larry Wood and his brother standing in the middle of nowhere. Trees loom, branches clawing at the sky. Billy Wood is crouched low, examining the ground, while Larry Wood glares directly at the camera. "Right now we're in Canada," he says, "but take three steps that way and we're in a whole different world, crossing the border into America.

"America," Wood says. "Huh."

"Let me tell you about Amerrica. Every time we come down to that godforsaken country, we get the same things over and over. Americans making fun of the way we talk, eh? Americans asking us to say about. Americans thinking we're so polite and funny.

"The Flames thought it was funny went they came out here and made fun of me and my brother. They thought it was funny when they beat us last week, even if they were feeling that match the entire day that followed.

"Well Joey, Teddy, you get your laughs, boys, because the jokes are over. The next time we come to America, the next time we take those three little steps across the border, there's not going to be anything funny about what happens. We're coming to America to maim someone. We plan on doing things in the ring so unspeakable that no-one will mistake us for polite men ever again.

"There's just three little steps between us and America. Three little steps between the Wood Boys and bloodshed.

'"Three little steps," Wood says, waving a hand at the empty woods, "and not a damn person here to stop us from taking them."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/ActionJackson.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/MrLucha1977.jpg

We come back from a break and the camera is focused on the interview stage where Action Jackson is waiting with Mr Lucha.

"Welcome back, Hollyweird fans. This is Action Jackson backstage, getting you all the scoops, and I'm here with the man whose facing Rip Chord in a lucha libre match for the World Heavyweight Title on Sunday – Mr Lucha.

"Lucha, it's a big night for you Sunday, no doubt, but it seems like Chord's arranged a challenge for you in tonight's main event where you face Awesome Thunder."

Lucha bows his head, eyes closed, as he contemplates his answer. "There are many in America who don't know the name Awesome Thunder," he says, "but in Mexico we know of him and we know, esse, how dangerous he can be. He's a warrior, a champion, and…yes, si, an assassin. He has fought and unmasked many men, robbed others of their hair. We have fought before in tag-team matches, and I've always respected his ability.

"But tonight he's a man wrestling for money, while I am wrestling for something greater, esse. Tonight I wrestle for the pride of the Mexican people, a prize that matters more than any title. And on Sunday, when I meet Rip Chord, we wrestle in the tradition of lucha libre, best two out of three falls, and I know I can beat him. With the spirit of Mexico behind me, esse, there is nothing I will not do to earn the World Title."

"What about Chord's friends, the Wrecking Crew? And his bodyguard, Charlie Thatcher? Do you have a plan to counter their presence in the ring."

"An honourable man fights his own battles," Lucha says, "but a wise man finds friends to help him on his way."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TaylerMorton_alt1.jpg vs. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/FumihiroOta.jpg

Morton has the slight advantage when it comes to speed, handily eluding many of Ota's attempts to ground him, and it slowly forces the ninja into an aerial contest. Ota's no slouch in the air, but Azaria notes that the ninja's training tends towards submission holds and aikido moves, which means any match based on high-spots is going to favour the more athletic Morton.

Yet for all his advantages Morton lacks experience, and in the end it's this that costs him. The two wrestlers clinch and Ota positions their backs towards the referee, allowing him to plant a heel in Morton's groin. Morton doubles over in pain, and a Ninja Strike to the skull ends the match.

Fumihiro Ota defeated Tayler Morton in 4:32 by pinfall.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/FumihiroOta.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RickyDaleJohnson.jpg

Ota has his hand raised, signalling his victory, but the celebration is short-lived. Cowboy Ricky Dale hits the ring, starting his assault with a boot to the stomach and a series of clubbing blows. Ota scrambles for the ropes, trying to get away, but Ricky Dale stays on him and raises him for a powerslam.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TroyTornado.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/YosukeNarita_alt.jpg

It doesn't land. Ronin and Awesome Thunder charge the ring, leaping on Ricky Dale to halt the beat-down, and it isn't long before the Cowboy is being pummelled with kendo strikes from Ronin and stiff kicks from both Thunder and Ota.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/DarkEagle.jpg

The three cruiserweights get Ricky Dale down on one knee, but that's when Dark EAGLE comes tearing into the ring to make the save. EAGLE unleashes a series of chops, forcing the Shadow Clan to scatter, and helps Ricky Dale regain his feet.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/DustyStreets.jpg

The camera cuts to Dusty Streets locker room, where the veteran is working out with a punching bag. He leads with his left hand, firing off jabs, before the big right-hand haymaker snaps against the canvas.

"Nice Punch." The camera pans, revealing Sam Strong standing in the doorway, absently rubbing at his injured neck as he observes the workout.

Dusty immediately halts, grabbing a towel from the nearby bench. "What do you want, Strong?"

"Sunday, brother," Strong says. "This match you've scheduled with Peter…"

Dusty towels off, shaking his head. "it's going to happen, Sam. I don't agree with Rip Chord, I don't think you're operating a conspiracy, but you play favourites, brother. You overlook traits in your friends that would drive you crazy in an enemy. It's one of the reasons we never got on, you and me. I couldn't stand your…hypocrisy."

To his credit, Strong doesn't rise to the bait. "I'll admit Pete's not perfect, brother, but the man's a friend and you're threatening to kill his career."

"It's not a threat," Dusty says. "If I win, his career is over. I don't want to make him quit the company, brother, I want him to quit this business. I want him hurt so bad he doesn't ever want to step into a wrestling ring again.

"And he wants to do the same to me, brother. You can't pretend he doesn't.

"This match is happening, Sam. Deal with it, live with it, because there's nothing you can do to stop it."

Strong's face goes cold. "If that's true, brother…"

Dusty meets the anger stare. "Yeah?"

For a moment neither man says anything. Then Strong turns away. "No," he says, "no threats. Pete doesn't want my help on Sunday, I'm not going to step in. But I'm warning you, Streets, if you're the one whose still here next Tuesday, I'm going to do everything I can to make sure you regret it."

Dusty and Strong trade a long stare.

"You done?" Dusty asks.

Strong nods.

"Good," Dusty says, "because I've got a match."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/DustyStreets.jpg vs. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RomeoHeartthrob.jpg

There's a real old-school vibe to this one. The two start out wrestling, going hold for hold. Streets gets the upper hand, and Heartthrob resorts to heelish tactics. There's a litany of eye-rakes and cheap shots taken, and before long things have degenerated into a brawl as Streets loses his cool. "If there's one thing Heartthrob's good at," Rhodes notes, "it's getting beneath someone's skin and taking advantage of their anger."

For a few minutes it seems like that's exactly what's going to happen, especially when the Cupid Clutch is applied in the centre of the ring and Streets drops to one knee as he's choked. The referee holds up his arm once…twice…thre—

No! Dusty fights back, feeding on the cheers of the crowd, and reverses into the corner to knock Romeo loose. From there he makes a short come-back, hammering Heartthrob with offense, before finishing the match with the Dust-Off.

Dusty Streets defeated Romeo Heartthrob in 7:06 by pinfall.

Rating: C

The Silver Screen fires up, showing a series of promo spots that have been cut together into a single montage, backed by the steady rhythm of the Prodigy's Breathe. Everything's filmed in grainy black-and-white, and it starts with footage of Tom Gilmore seated in an alleyway, dressed down in jeans and flannel shirt.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/AngryGilmore.jpg

"Romeo," Gilmore snarls, "there's no sense denying it. You got inside my head. You found yourself some back-up. You tricked me good, man, no doubt.

"And the Savage Fury are big. The Savage Fury are tough and brutal and they hit hard as hell.

"But I'm Tom Gilmore, you son-of-a-bitch. I will not die, I will not be stopped...

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/EdMonton.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/BobCasey.jpg

The camera pulls back, showing Ed Monton and Bob Casey loitering in the alley with Gilmore. Monton doesn't acknowledge the camera, but Bob Casey delivers an eager grin as he pounds a fist into his palm.

Gilmore smiles, looking at the camera for the first time. "…And I've got a couple of friends to watch my back too."

Rating: E

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/WandaFish.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/PaulSteadyfast.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/JoelBryant.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RobertOxford.jpg

The footage cuts to Untouchable's locker room, where Paul Steadyfast is popping a bottle champagne. He pours a glass and hands it to Wanda Fish. "To the beginning a successful partnership," he says. "Two-and-oh."

"Two-and-oh," she agrees.

"No." All eyes turn to Robert Oxford, whose sitting in the corner with his perpetual scowl. "One week isn't a change of fortunes, kid. It doesn't make us untouchable."

He stands, looming over Fish. "Me and Joel," he says, "the tag-team stampede. You'll make it happen?"

Wanda Fish sips her champagne and offers him a dazzling smile. "Robbie, it's why you hired me."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/JoeyFlame.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TeddyFlame.jpg

Another cut. This time the Blazing Flames are seated on a Florida beach, soaking up some rays.

"We fought the Nation of Filth," Teddy says. "We fought them and we lost, but it was one of the most brutal matches in Hollyweird to date. A match so brutal they banned the Filth from the ring for thirty days."

"We fought the Filth," Joey says, "but we're still standing. We're still standing, and we're looking for more. "

"People say we're getting on," Teddy says, "that we don't have what it takes to hold our own in a match like the Tag-Team Stampede."

"Those people are wrong," Joey says. "We fought the Filth, and we're still standing. We found the Vesseys, and we're still standing. We're ten-time champions, the benchmark that every team in this company uses."

"If anyone out there wants that hundred grand prize," Teddy finishes, "then they have to go through us."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/ThomasMorgan.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/BryanHolmes.jpg

Morgan and Holmes stand in the interview stage, two guys in ring gear and leather vests. Morgan's the man with the mic.

"We are the Ontario Kings," he says. "Canadian made and House of Stone trained. Where we come from, wrestling is a sport involving grace, speed, and a mastery of technique. We're here to face the best in the world, and we plan on doing just that…by earning our way into the Tag-Team Stampede and winning ourselves one hundred thousand dollars."

Rating: E

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RomeoHeartthrob.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Java.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TribalWarrior.jpg

Another cut, the music hitting its crescendo. Romeo Heartthrob is seated in an empty arena, Tribal Warrior and Java in the seats beside him. "Me and Tom Gilmore," he says, "one more time in the ring. Only this time he thinks he's got an advantage, because this time he's got himself some backup to counter the Fury.

"There's only one problem, Tom – I'm already in your head. I know you, kid, I've studied you, and there's nothing you can do to surprise me. Bring whatever you've got on Sunday, bring whoever you want to act as your seconds.

"It isn't going to help you, Tom. We've wrestled this match already, up here –" Heartthrob taps his head with a forefinger "- and I hate to break it to you, Tom, but you've already lost."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/ThomasMorgan.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/BryanHolmes.jpg vs. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/JackMarlowe.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/FreddieDatsun.jpg vs.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/UKDragon.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/JohnnyStones.jpg vs. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/LarryWood.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/AlysianScottsfield.jpg

It's chaos in the ring, but the frenetic pace makes up for the lack of big names, buying the crowd's interest with a series of big spots and double-teams.

The Kings get an early two-count after Bryan Holmes catches UK Dragon with a Cyclone Shock Kick, but the cover is broken up by both Billy Wood and Freddie Datsun darting into the ring. Other pinfalls suffer a similar fate, and it’s the Wood Brothers who realise that winning the four-way requires taking out all three opposing teams in order to make the cover uninterrupted.

And so the big Canadians go to work, their brutal style quickly forcing both members of the Kings and the Fight Club out of the ring where Billy Wood promptly bloodies Bryan Holmes by smashing him headfirst into the ring post. Larry Wood, refusing to be outdone, fires Freddie Datsun into the ring apron and promptly follows it up with a running boot that crunches Datsun's head against the steel posts.

UK Dragon makes the mistake of trying to capitalise on the cluster of bodies at ringside, launching a picture perfect moonsault from the turnbuckles to the floor, and while the spectacular move earns the masked Brit some applause from the crowd it spells the end of the match. For a moment there's a lull, but then the Wood boys are on their feet. Larry stays outside, thinning the herd with the quick application of opponents skulls against the concrete floor. Billy Wood climbs back into the ring, holding a bloodied hand to the crowd, and wrestles the one man still within the confines of the ropes – Johnny Stones.

It doesn't take long. Billy catches Rolling Johnny Stones with a double-arm DDT and makes the cover. Jack Marlowe scrambles for the ring, looking to break the cover, but he's caught by Larry Wood and yanked back to ringside. Eugene Williams counts off the three and the Wood Brothers are declared the winner.

The Wood Brothers defeated Black Rebel Fight Club, The British Knights and The Ontario Kings in 10:24 by pinfall.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/DemonSpite.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/DemonAnger.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/ProfessorNero.jpg

The Demons arrive, barrelling towards the ring filled with tag-team targets, Professor Nero limping along in their wake. The big monsters have lead pipes in hand and obviously intend to do some damage.

"HEY!"

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/CoachDickPangrazzio.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/LarryVessey.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/BryanVessey.jpg

The three men are halfway down the ring when they turn to face Pangrazzio. The Coach is on the main stage, megaphone in hand, the Vesseys by his side.

"We already said there's no need for this, Nero," Pangrazzio shouts. "You want a match, you got a match, all you gotta do is agree to the stipulation."

Nero limps to ringside and collect a microphone. "No holds barred?" he sneers. "A no disqualification street fight? Forgive me, Pangrazzio, but that doesn't seem your style. I thought you trained wrestlers, or…athletes."

"I do," Pangrazzio says, "but I also train winners, Nero, and these boys are the finest team I've seen in thirty years. If they can't beat your Demons to your satisfaction on Sunday, then they don't have any business calling themselves the best team on the planet. The offer's legit, Nero, all you and the Demons have to do is sign the contracts."

Nero raises a finger to his chin, pondering the situation. He looks to the demons, to the Vesseys, and to the ring full of tag-teams who have slowly retreated while the Demons are distracted.

"Very well," Nero says, "we accept your challenge. We'll let the weak members of the herd survive another day, confident in the knowledge that we'll savage them soon enough.

"Because they will come for those titles, Pangrazzio, once they're in our possession. And without the incompetence of Hollyweird's officials to stop us, there is no doubt we'll be walking away World Tag-Team Champions."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/EmmaChase.jpg

Emma Chase is backstage, waiting beside one of the exists that leads out to the car park. She's got a travel bag beside her and a backpack slung over one shoulder. It's the first times Hollyweird fans have seen her dressed down, and there's an argument to be made that Chase is even hotter in jeans and a white t-shirt rahter than the low-cut outfits she wears to ringside.

"Been stood up?"

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/MontyWalker_alt.jpg

Chase starts and turns towards Monty Walker, who lopes down the corridor towards her. Her face grows stony as he approaches.

"That," she says, "is none of your business."

"No, I suppose it isn't," Walker says. "And lets be honest, I don't really care. I may have liked you, Emma, once upon a time, but those feelings went away when you let Dread give me a concussion. Some things…some things you don't forgive, babe, no matter how hot a girl might be."

"I'm not a girl, Walker, I'm a woman." Emma adjusts her grip on the backpack slung over her shoulder. "If you'd understood that, maybe I wouldn't have tried to push you. Maybe—"

"Right," Walker says. "I forgot. You did it for my own good."

"No," Chase says, "I did it because—"

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Dread.jpg

The Human Juggernaut steps into shot. He ignores Chase completely, staring down at Walker.

"I thought I told you we were done," Dread says.

Walker shrugs. "You did. I ignored you," he says. "Fortunately, so did Sam Strong. You and me, Dready-boy, we got another go-around this Sunday."

Dread smirks. "You really that eager to end you career?"

"No," Walker says, "I'm eager to end yours. I'll leave you two to your evening, whatever you got planned, but I suggest you head off and do more of that vaunted 'preparation' that makes you such an unstoppable monster.

"Cause me, Dread, I had whole weeks laid up on the injured list, and all I did that entire time was study your matches.

"And trust me, big man, you're much easier to scout than I am. Call it one of the advantages of being a little guy starting out in the business." Walker grins and throws a look at Emma Chase. "No-one really knows what you're truly capable of yet."

The red-haired wrestler turns and lopes away, leaving behind a vaguely amused Dread and an irritated Emma Chase.

"Okay," Dread says, "I've changed my mind.

Chase looks surprised. "About what?"

"Walker." Dread breaks out into an evil grin. "Breaking him is going to be fun."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/Vengeance.jpg vs. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/PeterValentine.jpg

It's a disappointing match, but then, it's a match involving Peter Valentine. Vengeance is a big, dangerous man whose rapidly getting over with the HGC fans, but he's not exactly a ring general and being in the ring with Valentine quickly exposes his limitations. It's a solid brawl, but not a great one.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TysonBaine.jpg

It ends when BLZ Bubb makes his appearance, the Demon Seed barrelling down to the ring with a chair in his hand. The crowd roars, responding to the big man's appearance far stronger than anything that's happened in the match, and Vengeance turns as soon as he hears the cries of the fans...

…and immediately receives a chair shot to the skull for his trouble. He goes down and Eugene Williams promptly calls for the DQ over the protests of Peter Valentine.

Vengeance defeated Peter Valentine in 7:21 when Peter Valentine was disqualified.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TroyTornado.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/FumihiroOta.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/YosukeNarita_alt.jpg

The camera cuts to the interview stage where the Shadow Clan has gathered. Ronin has the microphone. "This humble one is honored to speak on behalf of the clan," he says, "and deliver a message to you, Ricky Dale.

"You have interfered in affairs that were none of your business, taken personally those acts we have performed as the silent hand of another. This has become unacceptable to us. We will no longer tolerate your interference in Clan affairs, so we make this challenge.

"Step forth at Where Angels Fear to Tread and fight the one known as Awesome Thunder. Leave behind your ally, Eagle, and the clan promises no interference will take place in your match."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RipChord.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/CharlieThatcher.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/RickSanders.jpghttp://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/TheIdahoPunisher.jpg

There's a fanfare as Rip Chord emerges onto the stage, his coterie trailing behind him.

"I wanted to take a moment," Chord says, "to appreciate my forthcoming opponent.

"It's been years since I've done something new in the wrestling ring, years since I was challenged by an unfamiliar experience. When you've travelled as far as I have, done the things I've done, you start taking the complexities of this sport for granted.

"But Lucha went and found something, and it was simpler than I thought.

"Who'd have thought that heading south of the border was all that was needed to find new experiences? Who'd have thought it was any different to wrestling best two-out-of-three falls. Then I started wrestling luchadors, discovered first-hand how different their style is. Then I wrestled my first lucha-libre match and discovered the subtleties I wasn't expecting.

"No martinetes. I used to think that just meant you couldn't piledrive a Mexican, but apparently it's a ban that extends to the move I made famous, the Rip Chord DDT. Apparently the Mexican wrestlers are too delicate to get spiked on their heads, so they made their lives easier by making sure it never happened.

"And maybe, for an ordinary wrestler, that would be a problem.

"But I'm Rip Chord, the dawn of a new golden age, and I've forgotten more wrestling moves than anyone on this roster can name. I adapt, I evolve, I rise to the occasion. If I can't use my DDT, then I'll try something else.

'"My only concern is that half-second, the one it'll take to overwrite instinct when the opportunity is there. Against an ordinary opponent, I wouldn't worry, but Lucha is good. He's damn good, and he's in his element. All it takes is a moments hesitation and he can turn a match around.

"So Bravo, Lucha, you've done what few men have. You've put Rip Chord on the back foot when there's a title on the line.

"Now all you've got to do is bring your A game on Sunday night and hope I give you that fraction of a second to make all your dreams come true."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/MrLucha1977.jpg vs. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/YosukeNarita_alt.jpg

It's starts slowly, the two cruiserweights testing the waters as they gauge the responses of their opponent. There are lock-ups, counters, exchanges of strikes, but they're brief and the match quickly returns to both men circling, looking for an opening.

It picks up. The two men in the ring are veteran high-flyers, among the very best in the world, and as the pace mounts the high-spots get increasingly dangerous. The spot of the match – the one that really got the crowds attention – came from Lucha about eight minutes in. Thunder retreated to the ringside area, looking for a breather, and Lucha sprinted to the turnbuckles and launched himself off, getting a good sixteen feet of air before hitting a hurricanrana that sent Thunder headfirst into the guard rail.

Thunder claws his way back into the match. A botched moonsault from Lucha creates an opening and the Shadow Clan ninja takes it, beginning a long stretch where he works on Lucha's right knee, hammering it with kicks and holds. Lucha is visibly limping by the fifteen minute mark, although he continues to hang on and gamely keeps on fighting, even after Thunder applies a leg-hold through the ropes and bends Lucha's knee at an angle that's decided wrong.

The rest of the match is hampered somewhat by Lucha selling the injury throughout his comeback, although the crowd visibly exhales in disappointment when the first attempt at the Master Drop fails courtesy of the injured knee giving out.

Thunder goes back to work on the injury, but it's not enough – Lucha fires him into the corner, follows it up with a splash, then hits a moonsault from the top rope to secure the victory. "Lucha may have won," Kyle Rhodes says, "but looking at the way he's limping out of here, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who didn't think Chord got his moneys worth tonight."

Mr Lucha defeated Awesome Thunder in 17:56 by pinfall.

Overall: C+

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/JoelBryant.jpg

"In some ways it's obvious booking ," Bryant says. "We had the best high-flyer in the world, a veteran legend of lucha-libre who was still young enough to really go, and we had the rising star of Japan's super-junior scene, the guy who, lets be honest, rated right up there with Optimus and both Elementals who were active at the time. What idiot wouldn't put them in the ring together and let them go for it?

"Hell, brother, what kind of idiot would you have to be to lose the opportunity to build an entire program around them?

"We all knew they were going to work together eventually, once they were both established with the fans, especially after Thunder agreed to come work for Hollyweird full-time. But no-one expected that first meeting – eighteen minutes in the main event, Thunder still a guy the audience barely cared about – and on the night we booked it the whole team just kind of sat there hoping like hell it wouldn't fall apart, that the fans wouldn't s—t on it because its two smaller guys in the ring wrestling a style most American fans had never seen."

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x15/arwink/MrLucha2000.jpg

"Part of me still expected it to all go away." Manuel Preito shakes his head, offering a camera a wry smile. "They'd put me in the main event, lived up to that first promise. Then they'd pushed me onto the pay-per-view, let me wrestle for the World Title. I knew I could do it, there wasn't any doubt about that, but to see a booking committee get behind me like that…to wrestle Rip Chord and say the things I wanted to say…

"I love Mexico. I love the fans, I love the people I've worked for, I loved going out there and entertaining everyone. But there was a larger world out there, and there were a handful of names that had gotten to perform at that level. Luis Montero was arguably the best wrestler who ever lived, Mexican or otherwise, and even he was barely recognised outside of California.

"And now I was already better known in the USA than I was back home, better known in Canada. I was headlining pay-per-views and making more money in one night than I'd usually make in a month. But I looked at the men I wrestled with, Dread and Rip Chord and Sam Strong, and told myself that the fans cheered them instead of me.

"Wrestling Narita-san made it real. We knew each other, fought over titles in Premier, and that was the match where it was my job to carry things, where I was the fans knew and cheered for and it was my job to make sure Narita-san walked out in a better place than he'd come in."

Archived