New PC

bestbitter

Looking at getting a new desktop, here are the specs:

Case: Xigmatek Midgard Case

Power Supply: Corsair HX750 750W Modular Power Supply

Processor: Core i5 2500K 6MB Cache Socket 1155

CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Scorpion HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler

Graphics Card 1: nVidia GeForce GTX 460 1024MB GDDR5 PCI Express

Memory: 4GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz C9 Dual Channel Memory Kit (2 x 2GB)

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Intel P67 (Socket 1155) Motherboard

Hard Disk Drive One: Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 32MB Cache SATA 300

Optical Drive One: DVD-RW 22x

Sound Card: Onboard HD 7.1 Audio

What do people think of this setup? Is there anything else I should be looking at? How well will this perform?

Advice please, many thanks. :D

I just built a rig with some fairly similar components. I have the same processor, but a different ASUS board (the Sabertooth P67), 8GB Ram, and an AMD card. My runs beautifully. Overclocked to 4.3 GHz with one click and it barely tops over 50c under full load. So yeah, you should expect some really solid performance out of it.

Nothing major I would change. Small recommendation would be to maybe look at a faster drive for the OS and maybe some primary programs. The Samsung Spinpoints are nice drives (have 2 of them) but not the fastest. Whether you jumped to a smaller SSD or even just a faster smaller drive, you might see a performance increase.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, What do people think of this setup, Many Thanks.

Processor (CPU):

AMD AM3 PhenomII X6 1055T 9MB Cache

STANDARD 2.8Ghz Per Core = 16.8Ghz Total Power

OVERCLOCKED To 3.5Ghz Per Core = 21Ghz Total Power*

Stable 25% Overclock For Performance

Motherboard:

GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 Featuring AMD 770 Chipset

With 16 x PCI-E, 2 X PCI & 16GB DDR3 RAM Support & NEW USB3.0 Ports

Memory:

CRUCIAL 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz PC10600

Premium Performance Branded Ram

Hard Drive:

SAMSUNG 2 x 500GB SATA2, 7200 RPM & 16MB Cache

SET UP IN RAID0 FOR PERFORMANCE = 1TB

Optical Drive:

SONY 24XDVD+/-RW Lightscribe With Dual Layer/Format

Graphics Card:

GIGABYTE ATI Radeon 5850 1024MB

Direct X11 & Pixel Shader 5 With DUAL DVI & HDMI Outputs

Case:

CoolerMaster Scout Gaming Case With 750W PSU

Connections:

12 x USB2.0 & 2 x USB3.0, Gigabite LAN 10/100/1000

7.1 HD Audio & 1 x Firewire & Mini Firewire Ports

1 x Coaxial & 1 x Optical S/PDIF Out connector

It really depends on what you're using it for. I have my own preferences that fit my tendencies. I typically go with the biggest power supply I can because it's not unusual for me to stack a ton of stuff onto the base config of a rig (high end video cards in SLI, more USB slots, additional drives, ridiculous cooling, etc). Personally, I wouldn't touch an ATi card due to their uneven performance with their drivers (fool me thrice....) but it's fine for normal use.

I just ordered the following beast. Should get it after Easter. AU$4000 but well worth it for watching movies and gaming. It'll be the first time my new PC won't be 2 years out of date already.

Intel Core i5 2500 Processor, 3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket LGA1155

Asus P8P67 EVO M/B, Socket 1155, Intel P67 Chipset

2x ASUS GTX570 1280mb, PCIE

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3-1600

Alienware OptX AW2310 23" 3ms 1920x1080 Full HD 120Hz 3D WideScreen LCD Monitor

850W "Corsair" AX-850 ATX Power Supply

CoolerMaster HAF RC-932 Tower Case

OCZ Vertex2 120GB SSD 285/275 R/W/MB

Western Digital Caviar Black SATA2/SATA 3 (1TB ) 7200RPM/64MB Cache

Pioneer BDR-206BKRP 12X Blu-Ray Writer Drive, SATA

ASUS Xonar DX PCI Express 7.1 Audio Card

Logitech Z623 2.1 Speakers

Microsoft SideWinder X4 Keyboard

Microsoft Sidewinder X5 Gaming Mouse

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (OEM)

NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit

What I want to do with it is mainly play games. Mainly things like TEW, WMMA and CBH (when it comes out!), also would play games like Football Manager (on high settings preferably) and possibly things like Dawn of War II etc. Would also use it for storing my music collection (which is rather large), photos etc. Thanks to everybody who has given me advice thus far, but I only have a limited budget so the cheaper the better and would'nt want to/be able to upgrade for a while with two kids and a house to redecorate! So once again sorry to keep banging on about it but I want to make sure I get as much impartial advice as possible as I am not very tech savvy!

What I want to do with it is mainly play games. Mainly things like TEW, WMMA and CBH (when it comes out!), also would play games like Football Manager (on high settings preferably) and possibly things like Dawn of War II etc. Would also use it for storing my music collection (which is rather large), photos etc.

The games you mention don't require that kind of rig. Heck, you won't even see much of an improvement with TEW and WMMA (since they're designed to be played on FAR lesser rigs). Music and photos = hard drive, so if you plan to keep this rig for a couple years (or up to half a decade), get the biggest single drive you possibly can. I would say get two, set up in a master-slave RAID configuration, but that would break your budget. Speed is great for gaming but if that speed is largely wasted on the games you plan to play, size trumps the speed (since more drive space is universally useful). Plus, the fastest drives are often the most expensive so if you don't have a burning need for that extra speed, it's a waste.

Again, the only advice I'd give is to ditch the ATi card and replace it with an nVidia. The reason being, ATi is somewhat notorious in the gaming community for releasing poor drivers. For the non-tech savvy folks who wouldn't know where to get 3rd party drivers that work, that could be an issue. Also, in my experience, the cards most likely to have issues with many current games, are those made by ATi. Don't take my word for it. Go to the forums for any game you play or have considered playing and look through their tech support forum. Make a note of how many times you see an ATi user post versus how many nVidia users. Also look at the threads stickied to the top of the forum. This isn't ATi hate since, on paper, Radeons beat the pants off GeForce cards in bang for your buck performance. But that's on paper. When I stick my $350 Radeon (HD 5870) into my computer and, after updating the driver, get a Blue Screen of FAIL within minutes of logging in to a game, that's a problem for me.

Processor

Intel® CoreTM i7 2600 (3.4GHz/8MB cache)

Operating System

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Memory1

6GB1 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz

Hard Drive

1000GB2 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)

Video Card

1024MB AMD RadeonTM HD6670

Optical Drive

DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD) with Roxio and DVD Burn software

Again thoughts please?:)

Archived