Coach 'Bulletproof': A Coach's Story

[I]This probably isn't the best time for me to be starting this as I'm leaving later this week to get married and will be out of town the week after Christmas but I wanted to get this started. So, here we go...[/I] PRESS RELEASE- The Purdue Boilermakers, looking to take their team to the next level, have release Coach Joe Tiller, paying him the remainder of his salary. The Boilermakers went on to stun fans, alumni, and news outlets alike by naming Purdue graduate Brad 'Bulletproof' Vest to take the reins of the team. Vest signed for a modest salary and a one year deal, leaving most to wonder if this is simply a temporary move in order for the team to chase a big name next season. Purdue President Martin Jischke gave a different explanation though. "We're excited to be having an alumnus heading up our team and we think that Coach Vest has what it takes to put this team over the top. Far too often in the last couple years, we've lost the big game. This isn't to say that Coach Tiller did a bad job, but we just need a nudge to take us to that next and highest level," said the President, fielding numerous questions. Following President Jischke, new head coach Brad Vest took the podium. "I am really happy and excited to be returning to Purdue. Over the last eight years I have watched our school make great strides and I hope to continue the winning tradition that Coach Tiller has put forth. These are big shoes to fill but I think that I can do it and I hope that none of the alumni or fans put my nickname to the test," Vest said. Vest has a brief but stellar coaching record, first winning back-to-back state titles in the Illinois High School Association and he followed that up with a stint with the Northern Illinois University Huskies as the team's offensive coordinator. This is Vest's first collegiate head coaching position. "I can't promise a National Title or even a Big Ten title, but I can promise that you will see a team build on pride, fundamentals, and a respect for football. Anyone that plays us, will face a challenge on any given Saturday," Vest concluded.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"I probably should have looked at the schedule before taking the position," I quipped to my offensive coordinator Bobby Gautt. My O.C. is a Wake Forest alum that I plucked off the sidelines of Steve Spurrier's South Carolina attack. He knows offense and can definitely scout an opponent. He'll balance out my weakness. I can develop players but he can read and prepare for an opponent. "Would it really have stopped you from taking the job," Bobby responded. And he was right, I would still be standing in the same place had I looked. Our strength of schedule this year is somewhere between 4'th and 7'th depending on the publication you look at. 2005 Schedule (by week) 1- Northern Illinois University (unranked) 2- Open 3- Tennessee (unranked) 4- @ Wisconsin (17'th) 5- @ Ohio State (12'th) 6- Northwestern (unranked) 7- Penn State 8- @ Minnesota (22'nd) 9- Notre Dame (15'th) 10- @ Michigan (1'st) 11- Michigan State (unranked) 12- Open 13- Open 14- Indiana We play five ranked teams, four of them on the road and in some of the toughest stadiums in the NCAA. Looking at it right now, we should start 2-0 but then it'll be a dogfight every Saturday. "Well Coach, I figure that a decent season with this schedule would be 7-4 and anything above that would be gravy," Bobby said, again reading my mind. "Yeah, I just can't get over it the way things currently stand. I have a feeling that the Big Ten is just going to be tearing each other apart every week which means that a team with two or maybe even three conference losses could conceivably win the Big Ten," I reply. And it's a good thing too because the John Purdue Club (the Alumni Association) has made it abundantly clear that I shouldn't finish lower than third in the conference. So much for a Coaching honeymoon! Walter Higgs, my defensive coordinator, walks in and joins the conversation. "Stop talking about two and three losses. Why can't we win out in conference" he asks, in his Marine drill instructor manner. Higgs is a real hard-ass but it seems like every D-Coordinator I've met is. He is all business all the time and I respect him for it. I can't be that serious but it helps to have someone around that is. His specialty is game plan development and he's a big proponent of a 4-2-5 D but we're going with the Big Ten's basic 4-3 here. He's a Cowboy from Oklahoma State and when I made him his offer he was the Defensive Coordinator for Southern Illinois University. It's a big step from the Salukis to the Boilermakers even though it isn't that many miles. I know that a lot of people would hate to hear a coach say that he is considering games he's going to lose but I'm a realist who may even be on the pessimistic side sometimes. I think deep down inside that every good coach is. If we weren't pessimistic than we wouldn't prepare as hard as we do for each game. "Well fellas, let's talk starters," I say, setting up the white board.

OFFENSIVE STARTERS- QB- Mike Scifres, SR- He's a true drop back passer with a cannon arm. He's helping to continue the recent tradition of stud QB's. We've gone through Billy Dickens, Drew Brees, and Kyle Orton these last few years and Scifres is the heir apparent in '05. RB- Ken Trapp, SO- He is slowly turning into a Big Man on Campus. He is a strong runner who specializes in short yardage but has the ability to become a game breaker. Trapp could one day turn us from a Vertical Passing Offense to a grind it out team. WR- Louis Douglas, JR, Kendall Sandoval, JR, Tyler Bouman, SO- This trio is going to be an amazing group a year from now. Today though, they'll be good, particularly with Scifres throwing to them. Bouman has the most upside while Douglas will probably compete for first team All-Big Ten. TE- Seth Harris, JR- I have never used a tight end much but that may have to change this year. I've watched guys like Charles Davis and Tim Stratton play well at Purdue recently, maybe Harris could be valuable. THE LINE- OTs Robert Solt, SR and Barrett Sharper, SO, OGs Walt Hunter, JR and B.J. Stovall, SO, and C Matt Bush, SR- Our line is really quite talented with four current players that we would rate at 4.0 or better. Our weakness is our right tackle Barrett Sharper, but he's a sophomore with HUGE upside and potential.

DEFENSIVE STARTERS- DE- Dan Kramer, JR, Quinn Beebe, JR- This is a weakness and if any team runs outside, we could have problems. Kramer is rated a 3.0 and Beebe a 2.0 which seriously concerns me. DT- Chuck Pope, JR, Mark Edinger, JR- These guys balance out the line with some talent and can hopefully get pressure on opposing quarterbacks. Pope is one of our highest rated defensive players at 4.5 and he could be the key to a successful season defensively. MLB- Darrell Schey, JR- I've always considered MLB to be the most important position on the football field so Schey is going to be the most important player. He will control our defense and be an important tool for pass rushing, run stopping, and pass coverage. That's not too much to ask is it? OLB- Traveris Dove, SR, Darrell Bradshaw, SO- Dove is one of our few seniors on defense and that experience will be important. Skill-wise we rate him has highly as Schey which gives us a lot of hope in the middle of the field. Bradshaw is a solid third linebacker and has given us glimpses of a good future to come. CB- Lorenzo Walker, SR, Reuben Robb, JR- If our line can't get off the pass rush that we would like, Walker and Robb will be plenty busy. Both are quite skilled but still raw despite their experience levels. The previous regime was not known for producing outstanding cornerbacks and we're hoping we can make up ground fast with these two talented players. FS- Arnold Griese, JR- A famous last name at Purdue and a distant relative of the former quarterback. If the previous staff didn't do well with corners, it might be because they focused all their efforts on safety. Griese is a cover safety that will be our savior in the secondary. SS- Steve Smith, JR- He's got the basic skills but not a lot to take him beyond where he is now. He's not the big hitter that I would like see protecting our deep secondary but he'll have to do for now.

[b]Week One[/b] I didn't think I would be nervous but it is week one and hear we are, Ross-Ade Stadium, the stands are full, the Northern Illinois Huskies are in the house and my Boilermakers are ready (I hope!). The jog into the stadium from the athletic complex seemed long but I know it was fairly short. We're a twenty-four point favorite on a humid, overcast 86 degree day. Let's see if we can live up to our #9 Coaches' Ranking and #11 Media Ranking... The Huskies kicked off to us first and I was glad, offense is my specialty and this lets us control the game from the beginning. And after calling my first play, all the butterflies went away. An inside run immediately went for 26 yards from our 19 and I felt at home on the sideline of beautiful Ross-Ade Stadium. A few plays later and a decent drive and it came time for my first tough coaching decision. Fourth down and five at the thirty-two yard line of the Huskies. Chants of "Go, go, go" rained down from the stands and I decided to give them what they wanted as I had been unimpressed with our kicking game all week. I put the ball into the hands of our stud QB and hoped. Scifres completed his first pass under my direction, a twenty-one yard strike to Douglas for a first down at the NIU 11. My heart leapt up as the stands exploded. Unfortunately we would get no closer to the end zone than their 7 yard line and I took the safe route, field goal team to the line of scrimmage. Patrick Sams kicked it through and we had our first points, 3-0 Boilermakers after a five minute drive. Now we would get to see what the defense could do. . .

[b]Week One (continued)[/b] NIU got good position after a thirty-seven yard return left them on their own 39. Surprisingly the Huskies came out firing, throwing three straight passes. They completed the first for three yards, misfired on the second, and Griese defended the third. Their punt went forty-four yards and our returner Mike Porcher immediately brought it back forty-two of those yards to the Huskies' 42. Ken Trapp took the first carry twelve yards to raise his early numbers to 62 yards on just seven carries. Unfortunately Scifres wasn't doing quite as well and a few incompletions left us with 4'th and 11 at the Huskie 32. This time I figured I would let Sams use his leg. And he nailed it, 6-0 Boilers. Unfortunately he followed it up with a kick-off out of bounds. Unlike most coaches, I have some patience for kickers. I compare what they do to hitting a golf ball and I know how great or how bad I can be on the course. The Huskies would make it to our 44 before ultimately stalling out and punting on fourth and eight. We made slight progress starting at our 15 but we needed to find a way to get Scifres on track. After failing on a screen pass, he was 2-7 with 22 yards and left us with third and ten at our 27. I sent four receivers out hoping that Scifres would find his rhythm. He hit Sam Anthony over the middle twenty hards down field just before the linebacker found our receiver. The shot was huge but Anthony held on, first down. On a third and thirteen later, Scifres hit Anthony again for fourteen, bringing us to first and ten at the Huskies' 42 with :17 left in the first quarter. Gautt came on over my headset and said, "Let's take a shot." He called a play-action streak and Scifres came up firing...42 yards later it was a touchdown to Tyler Bouman, 13-0 Boilermakers as the first half came to a close.

[b]Week One (continued)[/b] After a stop and some more great running from Strapp, we found ourselves on the Huskies' forty-three yard line. "Again Coach, again," said Gautt into my headset. I gave him the go ahead and lo-and-behold, Scifres to Bouman again, this time for forty-three yards and another seven. 20-0 Boilermakers. Offensively, Northern has thrown us for a loop. To this point in the game, they had thrown ten times and run only six times. We had expected and prepared differently; luckily they were only 4-10 passing for 24 yards. Higgs and his defensive adjusted quickly though and as the Huskies took over with about seven minutes to go in the second quarter, it really showed. The Huskies were first and ten at their own 21. They called a streaks play but the D was ready and Mark Edinger got a big sack, pushing the Huskies back to their 11. Their next pass just missed the hands of our linebacker Schey for an incomplete pass. On third and twenty the Huskies hoped to catch us off-guard by running but Higgs was ready and we knocked them for a one yard loss. After getting the ball back, we marched down field efficiently, ending up with third and seven on the NIU 26. We sent in another play-action pass as we've burned them numerous times and Scifres connected again, this time for nineteen yards to Anthony. This gave us first and goal at the NIU 7 with 3:32 to go in the half. The first play was a two yard pass play to Bouman, moving us to the five. We ran a shotgun draw on second down but the Huskies were ready, stopping Trapp at the line of scrimmage. Third and five and what do you know, our tight end makes a play. Seth Harris catches the ball on an in route for five yards and a score, 27-0 Boilermakers. Some big mistakes and a roughing the passer penalty put NIU on our 34 with just :54 left in the first half. Can our defense stop them? It doesn't look good as we bite on a play-action that goes for twenty-six yards and the Huskies are first and goal now at our 8. Their first play was a one yard pass into the flank. The second play looked like a touchdown but the review called the play a trap. Thank God for replay! Third and goal from our 7 with just 0:33 to go. They completed a pass to their key wideout but it was a one yard gain and our defense has stepped up when we needed them most. NIU settled for the field goal and we would go in at half leading 27-3.

[b]Week One (continued)[/b] Halftime numbers Purdue- 27 Scifres, QB- 12-21, 184 yds, 3 tds Trapp, RB- 20 carries, 118 yards Bouman, WR- 3 catches, 87 yards, 2 tds Anthony, WR- 3 catches, 53 yards Douglas, WR- 4 catches, 37 yards Harris, TE- 1 catch, 5 yards, 1 td Trapp, RB- 1 catch, 2 yards Total yards- 298 Total yards allowed- 78 NIU-3 Scott, QB- 10-19, 70 yards Chandler, RB- 5 carries, 10 yards Faneca, RB- 1 carry, 6 yards Bielski, WR- 4 catches, 37 yards Barnes, WR- 1 catch, 14 yards Gent, WR- 1 catch, 12 yards Chandler, RB- 3 catches, 6 yards Richardson, WR- 1 catch, 1 yard

[b]Week One (continued)[/b] My worst fears were realized as we came out at halftime. I always worry about how my teams come out after the break and we looked tired. The kick-off return would leave the Huskies at our 33 to start things off. It took five plays but the Huskies found the endzone on an 8 yard pass and they came out to go for two. We stopped them, making the score 27-9. Trapp picked up where he left off though. He started with a 41 yard kick-off return and then we just started giving him the ball. The first carry went for three, the next for fourteen and then the third for nineteen. That quickly we made it to the 23 of NIU just like that. I knew it was coming and I like how he thinks. The voice came, "Alright coach, time for a play-action." It worked, but just for three yards as Scifres had to check down. A tripping penalty on the next play would make it second and twenty-two from the 35. Scifres took a sack on the next play rather than risk a bad throw and we found ourselves at third and twenty-seven and playing backwards down the field. An incompletion left us punting and Kurt Collins knocked it out at the 14. We're looking tired on both sides of the ball, time to wake up. We got a quick stop, a good punt return and worked our way down to the Huskies' 28 before stalling. Sams came out for his third field goal attempt and knocked it through, 30-9. NIU responded with an eleven play, fifty-eight yard touchdown drive against our worrisome defense. 30-16 Purdue, but we're slipping. A short kick and a big start by Trapp got us moving yet again. Two carries went for 22 yards and then he exploded for a big one, nineteen down the sideline. He tried to leap the last tackler but took a major shot, slamming into the turf. Our staff rushed out and Trapp was done for the day. Correll Bryant came in as the replacement on first and ten at the NIU 20. Scifres, not missing a beat with the loss of his running back, completed an eleven yard pass to give us first and goal at the NIU 9. Bryant ran for two, Scifres to Sandoval for six, and it became third and goal at the 1. Scifres ran a draw for no gain, fourth and goal. In retrospect, I should've kicked but we went for it, figuring Bryant could plunge it. I was wrong, Bryant never got out of the backfield, a three yard loss and change of possession.

[b]Week One (continued)[/b] On second and ten from the Huskies' four yard line, their quarterback tossed one to the sideline. At the last second, our corner Kramer snagged it and darted into the endzone for a touchdown, 37-16. The ensuing kick-off was fumbled back to us at the NIU 27 and it was time for us to put things away. A twelve yard pass and a roughing the passer penalty put us first and goal at the NIU 7 with a shot at ending this thing. Bryant gained three on a pitch. A play-action pass went for another three and here I am again, third and goal on the 1. Bryant went over the right guard for a touchdown plunge, 44-16 Boilermakers. NIU could only respond with a field goal, cutting our lead to twenty-five at 44-19. With 6:01 to play, we would be going to the ground a lot trying to run off some time. Our drive went for 5:19, 61 yards, and resulted in a field goal, 47-19 Boilermakers. This would be the final. FINAL NUMBERS Purdue- 47 Scifres- 20-33, 256 yards, 3 tds Trapp- 28 carries, 192 yds Bryant- 13 carries, 32 yds, 1 td Bouman- 3 catches, 87 yds, 2 tds Total yds- 473 NIU- 19 Scott- 19-34, 151 yds, 1 td, 1 int Chandler- 17 carries, 68 yds, 1 td Bielski- 6 catches, 59 yds Total yds- 228 And with that, I'm 1-0 in my Division 1-A career.

[b]Press Conference[/b] Vest: Well, what a way to start things off. I would like to thank students and alumni for all their support since I came to West Lafayette; it has been easier than expected. As for the game, I'm satisfied with where we are at although I think NIU exposed some weaknesses. I'm glad to have the off week before we face Tennessee because we're going to need it. Media- Coach, you say you had some weaknesses exposed, what are they? Vest- First and foremost, our team was extremely vulnerable in the third quarter. We were outscored 13-3 and just looked bad. NIU moved the ball with ease in the third and we couldn't move it. Furthermore, we need to work on our special teams. On eight kickoffs we allowed 238 yards in returns. Media- Coach, what is Ken Trapp's status? Vest- Ken took a hard fall on his shoulder but should be back to 100% against Tennesse. Us holding him out was more of just a precaution. His numbers were huge with 192 yards rushing, 5 receiving, and 52 on kick-off returns. He bailed us out when we needed it most. Media- How have you rated Scifres' performance? Vest- He started out 2-8 and then went 18-25 the rest of the way, that's impressive. It's impressive particularly given that NIU's secondary is considered to be an above average one. I think he did a great job managing the game, limiting mistakes, and moving the ball. Overall, we've graded him out at an A- for the day. Media- You seem frustrated with your defense, any particular reason given that they only allowed 67 rushing yards and 161 passing yards? Vest- I am and I think it is because the Huskies caught us off-guard with so much passing. We adjusted well but in times that I felt like we needed to play big, we failed. The good news is that we didn't blow a lot of tackles or coverages, we just seemed to be a step too slow. Media- How do you react to the new polls that have Purdue ranked 5'th and 10'th? Vest- I'm not sure how to read it. I mean, I love the media's poll putting us at 5 but I have to wonder why we dropped in the coaches' poll. To be completely honest though, it is nice seeing us in the top 10 in both polls. It feels like we have a team that should be a top ten team and now it is up to us to play to that level. I look forward to Tennessee and then the Big Ten season. Thank you.

[b]Week 2[/b] [i]Coach's Notebook[/i] Our opponents now look like this- NIU (0-1) Tennessee (0-1) Wisconsin #15 (1-0) Ohio State #12 (1-0) Northwestern (0-1) Penn State (0-0) Minnesota (0-1) Notre Dame(0-1) Michigan #1 (0-0) Michigan State #20 (1-0) Indiana (1-0) I know that a lot of coaches love the off week but I'm not one of them, at least when it is this early in the season. I would much rather have one around week eight or nine but we play from week 3 through week 11 without a break. The bye week really doesn't help us this week since we had no injuries of any significance. Trapp was probably our worst but things are looking good for him. I think from our upcoming opponents, the Michigan State upset of Notre Dame surprised me the most. They aren't a bad team but the 42-36 barn burner was a great one to watch on film. I just assumed Notre Dame would come out of the gate hot in their new era. I guess the Tennessee loss surprised me as well. Colorado destroyed them 41-21. I'm not huge on having Tennessee on the schedule because Phil Fulmer and company are extremely dangerous, no matter how down they may be. I think it will be fun playing them though, given the program's history and prestige. Our most valuable player this week may not have been a player. I think that Bobby Gautt did an amazing job calling the game. We really seemed to be on the same page much of the day and it was nice to see all the times he was successful. In fact, looking back, I think there were only two play calls we differed on. His play-action calls were almost always perfect and he really put together a nice game plan. We're going to have to do some defensive work as we try to get used to coaching the Big Ten's standard 4-3 defense. We looked good at times but we looked like we were running in sand at other times. 19 points allowed is respectable against an NIU but we gave 16 second half points. I know I've said this a few times but the fans and alumni were great this weekend. Even in a light rain storm, we packed the place. I liked the way Joe Tiller had his teams honor the crowd by singing the fight song with them so we've kept it going. I have to admit, I'm kind of nervous because after the off week our academic eligibility reports come out and we have some guys that will be close, including back-up running back Cornell Bryant. This is the one problem with coaching at a university that boasts a high level of education, the classes are harder. I know that the NCAA standards of a 2.00 are the same across the board but a class here is much harder than one at say Florida State, Miami, or USC. Anyway, for all you poll voters out there, vote Purdue! See you in a couple weeks when we play Tennessee.

[b]Week Two[/b] "Hey Coach, good luck next week." "Go get 'em Coach." "Great win last week, do it again." I love walking around campus and hearing the students. It is really nice to hear positive things on a Monday. Unfortunately, I know that there will be days ahead when things aren't as nice. But for now, I'll soak it up. I decided to head to Triple X (no, not a porn store) for a nice greasy breakfast to start my week. I sat at the counter alone but know that that rarely lasts. Over the course of the next forty minutes, I chatted with a steady stream of fans, hungover college kids, and even a player who I was pretty sure was supposed to be in class. We'll see how long he stays eligible. There were a couple of messages waiting for me as I made it back to my office. "Coach, congrats on your win Saturday. My wife and I will be pledging $500,000 to the program next year if you can do that another six times," said the voice of one of our wealthier boosters. This is the part of the job that is hardest. I didn't have to deal with it much at SIU but now that I'm at Purdue, it's all alums, all the time. I hate kissing up to people, sometimes I would rather just tell them to take their money and shove it. But then of course, we also need it so I'll end up kissing up later. "How-do Coach? This is Coach Fulmer from Tennessee, just wanted to call you to wish you luck this coming Saturday, we look forward to coming up and look even more forward to you guys coming down next year." I love Home-and-Aways, it really allows two big time schools to put together a set of games that everyone wants to see, coaches, players, and fans alike. Nobody really wants to see a Purdue run up the score against an NIU or Southcentral Eastern State Community College. And then the last message would be the one that would ruin my day. "Coach, this is Johnson Caffey at Sports Information Services and we need you to get ahold of us ASAP as some of your recent comments have started a bit of a controversy." I hung up on the voicemail and immediately dialed Caffey's number. The University has a media relations group that helps players and staff alike when it comes to addressing the media. I couldn't imagine what I had done but I was hoping that these people could help. "Coach, glad you called. We've received calls from two athletic directors already this morning who are expecting or demanding an apology for your comments about their schools," Calley said. I still didn't know who I would've pissed off. "What schools?" I asked, hoping that it wouldn't be anyone that could use it as bulletin board fodder. "Well, I've already talked to Coach Bowden and the A.D. at Florida State and they've promised that their President will be calling later. And the A.D. at Miami chimed in as well. None of them appreciated that you made it sound as though their academic programs are a joke," Calley responded. Crap, I didn't necessarily comment on the quality of their programs except to say that they aren't on the same level as our's but it has been badly misconstrued. This wasn't the best way to start things off as a new Division 1 head coach, piss off both Bobby Bowden and Larry Coker. Great...

[b]Week Three[/b] The academic suspension report came in and thankfully we've only got two guys out, one is a reserve. The other, Walt Hunter, is our starting right guard so this makes the right side of our line our weak spot. Looks like we'll be going left a lot. I have to admit, I'm not surprised about Hunter. He's smart, but lazy. And of course, it just so happens that one is Walt Hunter, the young man I ran into at Triple X when he was supposed to be in class. The firestorm of my comments blew over once I issued an apology and in which I gave credit to various academic branches of FSU, Miami, and USC. I have to say, I was kind of hoping that I could've talked to Coach Bowden but no such luck. Maybe I'll say something else derogatory to see if he'll call me. Our week of preparation went well, this game will rest solely with our cornerbacks as they attempt to shut down the Vols' stud receivers Mike McDonald and Steve Barnes. This will be a tough one but maybe all the passing that NIU did will help us be game ready. Offensively, we changed our focus a bit this week. We worked on a lot of quick, short passes for the aerial attack and inside runs for our backs. But don't worry, we still have the long, exciting play-actions ready to go. 86 degrees and sunny at Ross-Ade Stadium, full house that is rocking, Purdue is ranked 7'th at 1-0 and we're a five point favorite against the 1-1 Tennessee Vols. Time for the kick...

[b]Week Three[/b] Our first drive was nice, a nine play, forty-eight yard march before we stalled out on the Vols' 24. Patrick Sams started us off with a forty-two yard field goal and the Boilers are on the board, 3-0. Our special teams committed a face mask on their return, allowing Tennessee to start at their own 32 yard line. On the second play, McDonald beat us for nineteen on a play action and they crossed the 50. We finally halted them at our 44 and they punted it back, not a bad start defensively. Our short passing game was complimenting our solid run game early. But then Trapp got blown up on a pass blocking assignment and went down again. The trainers are tell me he is done for the day so it is a good thing that our tutors kept Cornell Bryant eligible because he's going to be carrying the ball A LOT. We exchanged punts a couple of times and then we decided we had to use Bryant as though he were Trapp. He ran twice, picking up seven. We called a short pass on third and three and hit him for a gain of eight. Three plays, fifteen yards out of Bryant, not bad. The injuries start to pile up on the offensive side of the ball though as we lose our number four receiver Anthony. We find ourselves punting again and what should be an offensive show-down seems to be stuck at 3-0 as the first quarters winds down.

[b]Week Three (continued)[/b] We started the second quarter on our own 20 after a Tennessee punt found the endzone. Correll Bryant took his first carry up the sideline for twenty-seven yards and the offense is starting to believe in him...and so am I. We moved forward and backwards over the next two plays thanks to penalties. On third and ten from our own 47 Scifres dropped back to throw. The pocket collapsed and our not-so-fleet-footed QB took off down field. He juked one guy but was dragged down from behind six yards later but a yellow flag floated to the ground...PERSONAL FOUL FACEMASK. First down Purdue at the Tennessee 32. We got a first down on the Tennessee 22 when Bryant went off. His first carry went for nine yards on a draw and he took the very next play and two tacklers into the endzone to put us up 10-0. This kid can play. Maurice McDonald came back and quickly torched us for forty yards on a beautifully performed pass play. That gave Tennessee first and ten at our 34. The pressure is on the D, can they answer the call this week? Three straight runs gained nine yards, fourth and one at our 25. They decided to go and their running back slipped through our D for eleven. First and ten at our 14 and I'm looking for something, anything from our defense. And they stepped it up, giving up just two yards on three carries and forcing Tennessee to kick, 10-3 Purdue. We started on our 16 and the offense was ready to rally around the D. We decided to take a deep shot on a play action, Bryant had been running well, maybe they would bite. Scifres took the snap, facked the hand off and the entire defense froze. He looked deep to Douglas on an out-and-up route and nailed it. Eighty-four yards later and we put up another seven, 17-3 Purdue. With two minutes to go, we punted out of bounds at their 4 yard line. We stopped them on three straight plays and the Vols punted out of their own endzone. The kick was good, landing at our 40 but Mike Porcher took off with it, finally being brought down at their 25 with 1:00 to play in the first half. We ran once for a loss of one, a pass play broke down on second down and Scifres gained a yard. Third and ten from the 25 and Tyler Bouman was open on an inside crossing pattern, Scifres fired, hit him for a gain of twenty-two down to the Tennessee 3 with 0:32 seconds to play. We came out in shotgun and ran a slants play that opened up Kelvin Sandoval for the score, 24-3 Purdue going in at the half.

[b]Week Three[/b] HALFTIME NUMBERS Purdue- 24 Scifres, QB- 10/16 for 172 yards and 2 tds Bryant, RB- 10 carries, 62 yds, 1 td Trapp, RB- 8 carries, 32 yds Douglas, WR- 3 catches, 99 yds, 1 td Sandoval, WR- 3 catches, 26 yds, 1 td Bouman, WR- 1 catch, 22 yds Harris, TE- 2 catches, 18 yds Bryant, RB- 1 catch, 7 yds TOTAL YARDS: 269 Tennessee- 3 Bishop, QB- 6/17 for 95 yards Nott, RB- 6 carries, 29 yds Cross, FB- 7 carries, 21 yds McDonald, WR- 2 catches, 59 yds Foster, WR- 3 catches, 25 yds Crowell, TE- 1 catch, 11 yds TOTAL YARDS: 144 I didn't realize it until the ESPN reporter interviewed me going in at half but Tennessee's QB is a relative of former Kansas State star Michael Bishop. I have to say that the elder Bishop is the better, at least so far.

[b]Week Three (continued)[/b] And here I am again, hating halftime. Tennessee runs three straight times, the last of which springs the free for a fifty-nine yard touchdown, 24-9 Purdue after we blocked the point after. Griggs needs to get his defense ready during halftime, they come out way too flat. And on our first play from scrimmage, at our thirty-seven, Bryant shoots through a gap, gets popped and gives up the ball. Tennessee ball at our 40. The defense damn well better show some pride here. Four more plays, eighteen yards, and a five yard penalty put the Vols on our 17 with first and ten. Finally, they man up and give us a stop, making it fourth and three at our 10. I look across at Phil Fulmer and hope that he'll kick and he does. 24-12 Purdue. We respond with three plays that go nowhere and a delay of game penalty before we punt it back. It becomes a punting game, back and forth. We start to put together a drive that puts us on the 44 of Tennessee. A sweep to Bryant springs him open for a forty-four yard TD...BUT tripping against Purdue, touchdown called back. On first and twenty-five from their 49 Scifres drops back and nails our tightend Harris for thirty-three yards! We have worked hard to make Harris a part of our game plan and so far it has worked brilliantly. He has four catches for fifty-seven yards with 1:36 to play in the third quarter. First and ten at the Vols' 26 yard line. We give to Bryant for eight but get stuffed for no gain on the next play. Third and two at the Vols' 18, big play and I want Scifres to have the ball in his hands. We thought we might catch the Vols off-guard with a screen here but no such luck as the ball sails just over Bryant's hands. Time for a field goal. Sams nailed it to make it 27-12, up by fifteen as we near the fourth quarter.

[b]Week Three (continued)[/b] We force a quick punt out of the Vols and it looks like Foster, their receiver, may even be done for the day. Porcher gets a twenty-one yard return on the kick for us and we'll be starting at our 48 with 12:47 to play. We call a short pass on first and ten with a deep option to the TE Harris. The pocket collapses around Scifres but he stands in and fires deep, Harris makes a great grab and rumbles a few more yards for a total of thirty-three on the play. Man, oh man, I wish I had known how great tight ends could be years ago! First and ten at their 19 now and we can put this thing away perhaps. We give to Bryant for five and then for three and then for one, making it fourth and one at the Tennessee 10 yard line. The field goal would make it a three score game so I tune out the chants of "go, go, go" this week and make the smart choice. Sams lines up the kick and splits them, 30-12 with 10:49 to play. Tennessee would add a field goal with 3:44 to play and we're in clock-killing mode with the score 30-15 Purdue. Actually, this is a benefit as it gives Bryant a chance to gain a ton of game time carries quickly. Bryant tops one hundred yards on a four yard carry but we're still left with third and four at the Vols' 44 yard line and 2:44 to play. We call a play action curl from the sideline, Scifres fakes it and quickly fires out to Harris who makes a great catch and breaks up field for a gain of nineteen yards. Who knew, tight ends, huh?!? We move the rest of the way on nothing but runs as Tennessee starts using timeouts. With just forty seconds to go and from the Vols' two yard line, Bryant plunges ahead for the touchdown, 36-15 Purdue as Sams shanks it and that'll be the final.

[b]Week Three (continued)[/b] FINAL STATS Purdue- 36 Scifres, QB- 16/27 for 273 yards and 2 touchdowns Bryant, RB- 26 carries for 108 yards, 2 tds Trapp, RB- 8 carries for 32 yards Harris, TE- 6 catches, 109 yards Douglas, WR- 3 catches, 99 yards, 1 td Sandoval, WR- 5 catches, 36 yards, 1 td Bouman, WR- 1 catch, 22 yards TOTAL YARDS: 419 Tennessee- 15 Bishop, QB- 10/32, 164 yards Cross, RB- 20 carries, 118 yards, 1 td McDonald, WR- 4 catches, 75 yards (THEY THREW TO HIM 15 TIMES!) Foster, WR- 3 catches, 25 yards TOTAL YARDS: 310 I look at two lines here and I find myself amazed. First, Seth Harris gets a gameball, what an amazing job he did. Everytime we needed a big catch, there he was. Wow, he left me stunned and we definitely need to revisit our playcalling. Secondly, Maurice McDonald had fifteen passes thrown his way and we only allowed him to catch four?!?! Incredible! The secondary deserves a game ball and perhaps a little less criticism from me.

[b]Week Three (continued)[/b] PRESS CONFERENCE Vest- This was a terrific effort by two great programs. Coach Fulmer's team came out and worked hard against us. Maurice McDonald is an amazing talent and we spent all day focused on him, luckily it paid off. Again, we weren't perfect but we were good. 2-0 as we enter the Big Ten schedule is exactly where we wanted to be. Media- Coach, what was most satisfying for you this week after the controvery with FSU and Miami? Vest- It was nice to get back on the sideline and away from microphones. Actually, the most satisfying thing had to be the performance of Seth Harris. That young man truly stepped it up and made an impact on today's game. He never found the endzone but he helped us get there. Media- Coach, word from the locker room is that Tyler Bouman is very unhappy with how he is being used. How do you respond? Vest- I haven't heard anything yet but the young wide receiver is rapidly developing into a threat. He had a bad day today, having five thrown his way and only pulling in one, but he looks to have a great future here at Purdue. Media- Talk to us about Michael Scifres and what he means to this team. Vest- He's the heart and soul of our offense. It is his arm that sets up our running game and he has been solid thus far. We've faced two pretty good secondaries and he has come through pretty clean with no bad decisions. It'll be a crime if he doesn't get some sort of award consideration the way things are going. Media- You were disappointed last week with the polls, how about now that your team is ranked 8'th and 10'th? Vest- We're in a tough situation, moving up doesn't just mean winning, it also means somebody has to lose. We'll settle for where we are now but next week's game against #9 Wisconsin could really shake things up. Media- Trapp got hurt again, any word? Vest- We'll release medical information as it becomes available but it looks like either a strain or tear of his lower calf muscle on his left leg. The early indications are that he'll miss a month or more. Media- Does this make Bryant your starter? Vest- Definitely, Cornell Bryant is ready and able to fill in until Trapp can make his return. Bryant will get the benefit of additional reps in practice this week and we look for a great performance at Wisconsin this coming Saturday. Thank you.

[b]Week Four[/b] "Come on, this is crap," Gautt said, throwing the sports page on the table, "8'th and 10'th? We're better than that and we're getting no respect." I agreed with him but didn't want to start a long conversation about why we are being ignored. I took it a different route instead. "Talk about respect, what gives Bouman the right to complain to the press about his playing time but not come and talk to us," I ask rhetorically. "We should set-up a meeting with him and get to the bottom of this," Gautt replied. "I'm not so sure about that. I want him coming to us. Do me a favor, tell Scifres to leak the word that the coaches aren't happy with him airing team business in the press and we'll see what happens," I said, closing my eyes and relaxing for the first time in who knows how long. Three hours later and I found myself sitting in one of our film rooms with my O.C. Gautt and an apologetic Tyler Bouman. "Coach, I just want to play and do good. The more I get the ball, the more I can help the team," the young receiver said. "Tyler, we agree, but you have to understand, you are our third receiver. That means two veterans are ahead of you," Gautt said. "Scifres has more of a history with those guys, you'll slowly start to find your place in the offense," I offered. "But Coach-" he started, until I cut him off. "We've met in the film room for a reason Tyler, I want you to see how you played against Tennessee. You had the ball thrown your way five times, which is how many times we threw it to our #1 guy. However, where he made three catches, you made one. Twice you ran bad routes and on another one you dropped the ball," I explained, firing up the projector. We spent the next forty minutes demonstrating how Bouman should have played rather than how he did play. Maybe it'll help against Wisconsin but when it comes to Bouman, I'm thinking more long term. He could grow into a great receiver one day and I just hope I'm here to see it.

[b]Week 4[/b] Coach's Notebook Our opponents now look like this- NIU (1-2) Tennessee (1-2) Wisconsin #9 (3-0) Ohio State #21 (2-1) Northwestern (0-3) Penn State #22 (2-0) Minnesota (2-1) Notre Dame #25 (2-1) Michigan #3 (2-0) Michigan State #19 (3-0) Indiana (1-2) Well, our strength of schedule will definitely give us the opportunity to rise or fall quickly in the polls. As I said before, the Big Ten looks very tough this year. Our first big test is going into Wisconsin and hopefully getting a win. Our offense is currently ranked 42 in the country while our defense is an impressive 5'th overall. I guess I should go easier on them! Of course, they'll be in for a major challenge this week as we face the country's fifth best offense at Wisconsin. No controversial statements this week, no problems other than the Bouman issue. He's been working hard in practice and we shall see. Cornell Bryant better be ready to shoulder the load. Wisconsin has been great against the run and are a top 10 defense as well.

[b]Week Four[/b] ESPN Radio, Mike and Mike in the Morning Golic- Please welcome the coach of the 8'th ranked Purdue Boilermakers, Coach Brad 'Bulletproof' Vest. Vest- Thanks guys, I appreciate the invitation today. Golic, how many bear claws have you had this morning? Greenie- That's right Coach, you should see him here, wolfing down bear claws, donuts, Hell, he almost ate my arm a few minutes ago. Golic- Wow, you guys don't play nice. So Coach, since I'm sure you aren't here to talk about my dietary habits, let's talk Purdue football. What do you think of your team? Vest- I think I'm lucky to have walked into such a great situation. We have a ton of talent and a defense that will return almost everyone next year which means we could be great for a couple seasons before we have to reload. On the flip side, I wish our schedule was a bit more friendly. Greenie- Yeah, the schedule is brutal Coach. Is there any game that you are particularly concerned about? Vest- Ummmm, yeah, we can start with tomorrow's! I haven't even had time to worry about the rest of the schedule because it seems like every week the challenge gets higher and higher. Golic- Maybe so but you're 2-0 after wins against Northern Illinois and Tennessee, neither of which are true cupcakes. Do you feel ready for the big test that Wisconsin brings? Vest- I hope; our kids have practiced hard this week and we look sharp. I have to say though, this is a really rough early season test and not the way that I would have chosen to start the Big Ten season. Greenie- I know you were a fan of Coach Tiller, do you have any regrets at being the man tabbed to replace him? Vest- At first it was hard but I realized that somebody had to take over and I will at least attempt to continue what he started. You'll see echoes of Coach Tiller's offense and defense in everything we do. I was just glad to see Joe land on his feet, signing on as an Offensive Coordinator in the NFL. Golic- Coach, last question, when you are in the locker room before kick-off on Saturday in Wisconsin, what are you going to say to your team? Vest- Play with pride, heart, and lean on each other when things get tough. We can win, but we have to do it together. Greenie- Thanks Coach, good luck.

[b]Week Four[/b] We've got three injuries of concern. First and foremost, we've lost our starting running back which means we'll be turning the ball over to Cornell Bryant. Our star offensive lineman Matt Bush is playing with a nagging injury but he'll be in there. Also probably for the game is our #2 cornerback Reuben Robb. Word of Bouman's discontent has spread around campus and local media and it has been the issue du jour. I think he's got his head right and I think we've even looked at adapting how we use him. I look for a break-out day from him as our #3 receiver. Our preparation was about average this week. The guys seem to realize this is a big game but there was still a fair amount of joking and screwing around. I don't know if the guys realize it but if they aren't focused, Wisconsin will ram the ball down our throat. Their running back Roger Booker scares me so our front four are going to have to be ready. Their star on defense is linebacker Bill Sayers but I think their secondary can be exploited. Coach Gautt agrees and we focused on some mid-range to deep passes. This should also help open things up for Bryant. Camp Randall Stadium is an amazing and daunting place to be, ESPN is broadcasting their College Gameday special from here, and the fans are out in force...

Archived