Coach 'Bulletproof': A Coach's Story

[b]Week Four[/b] #8 Purdue (2-0) @ #9 Wisconsin (3-0) We come in as a four point favorite on a warm autumn day. Things started badly with Wisconsin coming out with a forty-seven yard kickoff return that put them on our 43 yard line with first and ten. Damn, they're going to be testing our defense right away. Their first play was a one yard run. The second was like a page out of our own playbook, a playaction pass to burn the D, touchdown Wisconsin on the forty-two yard pass, 7-0 Wisconsin. We haven't been losing all year, time to see how our team responds. It is these situations that I was hired for. The knock on Coach Tiller was that once his teams got down, they were done, particularly in big games. Time to put up or shut-up. We got a first down on our first possession but were forced to punt three plays later. Wisconsin wasted no time taking just nine plays to move sixty-seven yards and they put up another seven, 14-0 Wisconsin. I grabbed the offense as our special teams returned the kick and got in their faces. "You guys can sit back and watch them pile on points or you can help our defense out by moving the damn ball. Do you want to win or get embarrassed? If you want to win, you have to make it happen now." Scifres responded by hooking up with Douglas for sixteen yards on our first play, first and ten on the 42. Bryant then slipped through a paper-thin opening and grabbed a quick fifteen yards to cross mid-field. First and ten at the Wisconsin 43. A short run and then a penalty left us with second and thirteen at the Wisconsin 46. Scifres dropped back and hit Bouman for eleven, bringing up thirt and two. Bryant picked it up with a five yard run moving us to the Wisconsin 30. Two plays that went nowhere left us sitting ugly with third and ten at the 30. We set-up in the shotgun, sending Douglas deep and with our TE Harris and off receiver Sandoval running in routes. Seconds after Scifres took the snap, Harris broke open over the middle of the field, made a textbook grab and tore off for the endzone. Thirty yards later, 14-7 Wisconsin. We huddled the defense together, Coach Griggs and I, during the kick-off and got into their faces. "Alright, the offense did their jobs and are trying to dig you guys out of a hole, now it is your time to pull your own weight. Can you do it? CAN YOU DO IT?!? Then show us you can!" And our defense went out to face the Wisconsin offense at their own 37 yard line. Right off the bat we took a pass interference penalty for eight yards and a first down by Robb but I have to say, I didn't hate it. He leveled the Wisconsin receiver a split second before the ball got there but it was a hit that sends a message. Let's see if the rest of the guys can be this aggressive. Unfortunately we couldn't and just a handful of plays later and sixty-eight yards and it was another Wisconsin td, 21-7 and we can't stop them. And the first quarter wound down with us having to punt down by two scores...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[b]Week Four (continued)[/b] We finally kept them out of the endzone on their fourth possession but they still scored. The field goal made it 24-7 Wisconsin. We started on our own 7 and didn't move from there, punting again and we're giving our punter Collins quite a workout today. Aided by a clipping penalty, Collins at least put them on our 40. It wouldn't matter though as they jumped our defense yet again for big plays, this time a thirty yard pass and then a fade for the touchdown, 31-7 Wisconsin and we're getting embarrassed. We finally looked to get on track as Scifres connected with Douglas on a long out-and-up pattern but Douglas coughed up the ball on the Wisconsin 19, turnover. The turnover led to a successful forty-eight yard field goal for Wisconsin making the score 34-7 with just over a minute to go in the first half. We started on our 45 after a nice return and Scifres struck quickly with a twenty-eight yard completion to Harris to put us on their 27 with 0:50 to play in the half. We need these points badly. We stayed there and ended up settling for a field goal as the half drew to a close, 34-10 Wisconsin.

[b]Week Four (continued)[/b] Halftime Numbers- Purdue- 10 Scifres, QB- 8/14 for 152 yards, 1 td Bryant, RB- 13 carries, 40 yards Douglas, WR- 4 catches, 58 yards, 1 fumble Harris, TE- 2 catches, 58 yards, 1 td Sandoval, WR- 1 catch, 24 yards Bryant, RB- 1 catch, 12 yards TOTAL YARDS: 194, 1 turnover Wisconsin- 34 Smith, QB- 17/21, 284 yards, 4 tds Booker, RB- 12 carries, 66 yards Robinson, RB- 5 carries, 37 yards Grayson, WR- 4 catches, 96 yards Paulson, WR- 2 catches, 59 yards, 1 td Montgomery, WR- 4 catches, 51 yards, 2 tds Terrell, WR- 4 catches, 50 yards Edmunds, TE- 2 catches, 18 yards, 1 td Robinson, RB- 1 catch, 10 yards TOTAL YARDS: 383 The ESPN sideline reporter caught me coming out of the tunnel and asked me, "what do you have to do to turn this game around." I regret it now but my answer at the time came off sarcastic when I said, "I don't know, outscore them maybe."

[b]Week Four (continued)[/b] Things started beautifully for us after a touchback on the kick. We started on our twenty and Scifres his Sandoval for twenty yards...but wait, a flag. Ineligible receiver. CRAP! We move back to our fifteen and throw incomplete on first down. I tell Gautt to throw and keep throwing so he calls a play for Harris, our tight end. And he continues to amaze. Scifres hits him and Harris shakes two tackles and starts rumbling...he gets a block from Sandoval...one man to beat, their safety and...he bowls him over, TOUCHDOWN! Eight five yards and a td!!! 34-17 Wisconsin, could there be hope? Great special teams coverage puts Wisconsin on their own 7. Our defense could really turn this game around right now. We stop them deep and will start on the Wisconsin 48 after their punt. We start with a screen pass for eleven to move to the Wisconsin 37. We get stuck but decide to go for it on fourth and ten at the 37. Scifres looks for Douglas on a hook and hits him, gain of eighteen! First down at the Wisconsin 19! We only got two yards closer but the field goal split the uprights, 34-20 Wisconsin, we're creeping back. Wisconsin responded with a touchdown but our offense was starting to gain confidence, even if our defense had completely lost their's. Wisconsin missed the extra point, 40-20 Wisconsin leads. Our offense went three and out and I had to rely on the D again. And they let me down again, Wisconsin marched sixty-one yards for another td and that pretty much slammed the door on us, making the score 47-20. We got an interception on their next possession and ran it back to the Wisconsin 18. They stopped us completely and we went on fourth when we probably should have just taken the points, no luck, turnover on downs. Scifres would throw his first pick of the year but no damage from it. Late in the game, with about six minutes to play we started a drive on our own 4. Scifres started whipping the ball all over the stadium, making big plays left and right. We went ninety-six yards that ended with a touchdown pass to Sean Harris, the tight end. 47-27 Wisconsin. With 0:17 left we picked up another touchdown thanks to our aggressive passing attack to make the scoreboard look more respectable than it should. 47-34 Wisconsin and we figure we'll practice our on-side kick. We had a shot at it but didn't recover and Wisconsin took a knee to put us out of our misery, 47-34.

[b]Week Four (continued)[/b] FINAL NUMBERS Purdue- 34 Scifres, QB- 26/44, 434 yards, 4 tds, 1 int Bryant, RB- 18 carries, 46 yards Harris, TE- 5 catches, 186 yards, 3 tds (Hmmm, I think I'm learning here) Douglas, WR- 5 catches, 76 yards Bouman, WR- 4 catches, 66 yards, 1 td Sandoval, WR- 8 catches, 55 yards Bryant, RB- 2 catches, 23 yards Dean, WR- 1 catch, 15 yards McNair, FB- 1 catch, 12 yards TOTAL YARDS: 480 yards, 2 turnovers Wisconsin- 47 Smith, QB- 27-36, 383 yards, 4 tds, 1 int Booker, RB- 23 carries, 98 yards, 1 td Robinson, RB- 9 carries, 56 yards, 1 td Grayson, WR- 7 catches, 136 yards Montgomery, WR- 6 catches, 70 yards, 2 tds Terrell, TE- 6 catches, 69 yards Paulson, WR- 2 catches, 59 yards, 1 td Edmonds, WR- 3 catches, 30 yards, 1 td Robinson, RB- 1 catch, 10 yards Booker, RB- 2 catches, 9 yards TOTAL YARDS: 529 yards, 1 turnover I'm completely sickened and have only a bottle of Jack Daniels in my hotel room to look forward to.

[b]Press Conference[/b] Vest- Well, I was hoping to put off my first losing press conference for awhile but what the hey, let's get it out of the way now. I'm disappointed, yes, particularly with our defense. There were some bright spots, such as Mike Scifres continuing to play wonderfully and Seth Harris becoming our best receiver. But for the most part, it was an ugly, ugly day. Media- How much did not having Trapp affect your game plan today? Vest- Not that we don't trust Bryant but it is tough to replace a guy like Ken Trapp. We did adjust our gameplan, quite a bit, and then the game situation made us move away from the run even more. Look, we're going to utilize the talents we have. Right now, offensively, we are strongest in the air. If that changes, we'll return to the run some more. Media- What did you think of Wisconsin's quarterback Todd Smith? Vest- Man, he's amazing and it is scary that had Hill not gotten hurt that he would be riding the pine. Smith was impressive and dangerous and it really worries me that he's a sophomore and we'll likely see him two more times. Media- Your team allowed 47 points against what is a very good offensive team, one of the best perhaps, so how critical of them can you be? Vest- Very actually, I understand giving up some points and yards but they ran us over. I believe they scored on their first five possessions and that set the tone for the rest of the game. We need to start getting at the quarterback and control the pace of the game defensively. Media- A lot of injuries in today's game, why and which are you most worried about? Vest- Big Ten football is rough and tumble football, we expected increased injuries. The ones that worry me the most are the three on the offensive line. Both starting guards and our center are injured. It looks like Bush, our center, and Stovall, one guard, will be out this week but should return next week. Media- So you've slipped to 22'nd and 23'rd in the polls and Wisconsin has propelled themselves up to #2 in both. Do you agree with these rankings? Vest- Yeah, we lost, what can I say. We need to stay ranked because it's hard to climb the ladder when you are on the outside. As for Wisconsin, I really do hope they are the second best team in the country because if there are more teams better than them than just one, this could be a long year. Thank you.

[b]Week Five[/b] "Well, we've got to avoid a repeat of last week. We showed how easily we can be exploited. What do you think we can do," I asked my D-Coordinator. "We need to get more aggressive, take some more chances. I know the risks are high but Ohio State has shown that they'll turn the ball over, I say we help them do it," Griggs responded confidently. We sat down and drew up a game plan that would hopefully force Ohio State into mistakes. We're going to use a variety of different blitzes and looks assuming that our guys can pick up all the plays this week. It's going to be like finals week, a whole lot of cramming going on. "Coach, you wanted to see me," came a voice from the hallway. "Yeah, come on in Tyler," I said. I decided after last week's talk that I would have to be a little more hands on with Bouman. The young man sat at the table and Coach Griggs excused himself. "So Tyler, what were your feelings about how we used you last week," I asked sincerely. "Coach, I didn't mean to-" he said until I cut him off. "I'm not being sarcastic, I really want to know. What did we do well, what can we improve on, both of us," I asked. "Well, I appreciate that you guys looked my way a lot more this week," he said. And we had, we threw it his way eight times with him making four catches, one drop, and one great catch on a td play. "Alright, but what can we do better," I asked, hoping for a certain answer. "Well Coach, I'm 6'6", is there any chance that I can run some streaks or deep middles," he asked. "Good, if you show me you have the guts and strength to bang for a deep pass, we'll put some in," I said, happy he was starting to see things the way we wanted him to. The meeting was successful and ended well. The next thing was a little harder. It's always hard talking to an injured player. I called Trapp at his apartment. "Kenny, how you doing," I asked, trying to sound optimistic. "Decent Coach, just wish we could've taken that one up in Wisconsin. I missed being there," he said, sounding dejected. "I know you did son. I have a favor to ask, and it won't be an easy one for you," I said. I outlined my plan of having him study film nightly with Cornell Bryant so that he could hopefully share his experience with his back-up. It's hard to ask though because Trapp knows he's coming back and I don't want him to think that by helping Bryant, he'll hurt his playing time. I shouldn't have worried though, Ken seemed very receptive. I retired to my office and finally got to sample some of that Jack Daniel's.

[b]Week 5[/b] Coach's Notebook Our opponents now look like this- NIU (2-2) Tennessee (2-2) Wisconsin #2 (4-0) Ohio State #25 (2-1) Northwestern (1-3) Penn State #18 (3-0) Minnesota (2-2) Notre Dame (2-2) Michigan #12 (3-0) Michigan State #9 (4-0) Indiana (1-3) Michigan beat Notre Dame which has moved Weiss' team down to .500 thus far but they are looking incredibly dangerous. We still have four more ranked teams to play the way it stands now and we're going to need to pull off an upset somewhere. Our offense moved up to 32'nd in the country while our defense tumbled to 35'th overall. Wisconsin destroyed us, but hopefully their offense is the best we'll see. I have a bad feeling that that is wishful thinking though. We continue to try and find new ways to get Seth Harris involved. Our specialties are Shotgun, Quads, and Trips which means he isn't on the field that much so we're starting to focus a lot more on singleback and shotgun formations. Let's see if we can go into the Horseshoe and get things righted.

[b]Week Five[/b] The offensive line is starting to look like a MASH unit with two back-ups now starting and another starter being a gametime call. This won't make things any easier on Cornell Bryant, who is starting to take some heat around campus for underperforming. Otherwise we look pretty healthy coming in. Trapp and Bryant have spent a ton of time together this week, including two all night film sessions. Ken tells me that he thinks Bryant's field vision and decision making should be much improved this week. That's good because we're going to try to control the clock a bit more this week. Every week now is a big game and the team was really focused. They seem pretty pissed off about last week's loss. Hopefully they can carry that chip into Ohio State and beat them. We're going to need this game if we are to put together the kind of season I hope for. Their defensive leader is appropriately named Slaughter and he has been a terror at linebacker this year. We need to make enough quick hits over the middle that Ohio State has no choice but to call off their blitzes. Hopefully some middle runs can catch him out of position as well. Their running back is a concern as well. Michaels just eats up yards and is averaging over 5 yards per carry and about 130 yards per game. We need to put the clamps on him and force their QB to throw. The Horseshoe is an incredible stadium and I actually find myself in awe as I walk from the tunnel...

[b]Week Five[/b] We're six point favorites on a sunny mid-70's day in Columbus and we're surrounded by over 104,000 fans. All I can say is, "wow." They break a twenty yard run on their first play but we stop them on third and three at their own 38 to get the ball back. A good start for the defense. Their punter boomed it and their coverage downed the kick at our 6. Nothing wrong with working with a long field, I have faith. Bryant picks up two yards on two carries, making it third and long. Scifres lofts one out to Bouman who I can tell is about to get rocked. The receiver jumps, latches on with two hands, and gets absolutely creamed. Amazingly enough, he held on, gain of thirteen, first down at our 21. We end up going to second and five at our 26 when we go to our bread and butter, the playaction pass. Scifres launches it out to Douglas who makes a great grab thirty-one yards down field. First and ten at the Buckeyes' 43. Bryant gets us a first down and then Bouman makes another catch putting us at the 25. We go with another playaction and Scifres hits Douglas again, this time in stride down the sideline...TOUCHDOWN! 7-0 Purdue. Eleven plays, ninety-four yards, just under 5:00 of possession. That's how you play football. Ohio State responds with a fifty-yard field goal, 7-3 Purdue. We got the ball back and ran an inside draw to Bryant. Slaughter came up and crushed him and the ball jarred loose, Ohio State ball after the pile up at our 29. We held them to another field goal, making it 7-6 Boilermakers. Mike Porcher takes the ensuing kick-off back forty-five yards to our 44. We wouldn't go anywhere and our punter would stick Ohio State at their own 8. As the first quarter ran out they connected on a twenty-seven yard pass, first and ten at their own 35 to start the second quarter.

[b]Week Five[/b] After we stopped them, their punter again left us inside our ten, at our own 6. A short pass and a big run by Bryant put us at our own 30. Unfortunately we stalled out shortly after than that and had to punt yet again. The Buckeyes put on a thirteen play, seventy-six yard drive for a touchdown and they're starting to push us all over the field. We need to make a statement with this next possession. Our statement was a two first down drive that ended in a punt, still 13-7 Ohio State. Ohio State got a late field goal to end the first half and we're now down 16-7 and our usually reliable offense isn't producing.

[b]Week Five (continued)[/b] HALFTIME NUMBERS Purdue- 7 Scifres, QB- 9/15, 111 yds, 1 td Bryant, RB- 13 carries, 37 yards Douglas, WR- 4 catches, 72 yards, 1 td Bouman, WR- 2 catches, 20 yards Sandoval, WR- 1 catch, 9 yards Bryant, RB- 1 catch, 5 yards Harris, TE- 1 catch, 5 yards TOTAL YARDS: 144, 1 turnover Ohio State- 16 Chester, QB- 15/22, 147 yards Michaels, RB- 14 carries, 87 yards, 1 td Satterwhite, WR- 3 catches, 49 yards Michaels, WR- 6 catches, 40 yards Beirne, WR- 3 catches, 35 yards Rogers, TE- 2 catches, 20 Florence, TE- 1 catch, 4 yards Lang, WR- 1 catch, 3 yards TOTAL YARDS: 243

[b]Week Five (continued)[/b] I know I'm beginning to sound apathetic but it feels like the whole season is starting to slip away. Offensively we die again and Ohio State gets a pick that ends up leading to another td. 23-7 Buckeyes. We got the ensuing kick-off at our own 19 yard line. I took over playcalling for this drive simply out of frustration and called for a deep play-action. As the ball was snapped, Sandoval took off, beating his man off the line with ease. Scifres lofted it deep and...TOUCHDOWN, eighty-one yard catch and run!!! 23-14 Ohio State! On their ensuing possession Chuck Pope hit their running back so hard that he coughed up the ball and Pope even recovered it himself. Purdue ball at the OSU 31. I love my play action and we're going back to it on first and ten. Too bad Scifres throws it until double coverage for a pick. They get the ball at their own 29. We forced a punt but again we got stuck deep, this time at our own 11. We picked up three yards on our first two plays and on third down, the play broke down completely. Scifres rolled outside and looked one last time upfield and caught a glimpse of Harris breaking free. He fired...thirty-five yard completion, first down at the 49. Harris then followed it up with yet another thirty-five yard reception to the 16 of OSU! Nothing on the first two plays so it'll be third and ten at the 16 when the fourth quarter starts...

[b]Week Five (continued)[/b] So here we are, big play, big down. Scifres needs to make something happen. He is forced to check down due to great coverage and takes the easy completion for four yards to get us to the 12. Sams goes in for the field goal...23-17 Ohio State. We stop Ohio State in three plays and they punt it back to us with 13:00 to play. Porcher gets a seventeen yard return on the booming kick and as he is on the bottom of the pile, a fight breaks out and, of all people, their punter is called for unnecessary roughness! First and ten at the OSU 46. Our first pass goes incomplete but Bryant takes a pitch fourteen yards upfield to the 32. On third and eight we complete a pass for seven, fourth and one at the OSU 25. Big decision time...and I decide to play it safe and kick the field goal. Sams nails it with 11:00 to play, 23-20 Ohio State. They start at their own 40 but back-to-back big penalties hands them twenty-five yards to our 35. The D is aggressive but they need to play smart now. Some big plays made it fourth and twenty and OSU had to punt to us. We take over at our own 14 with 7:36 to play. We run a screen for six. Second and four. No gain on a Bryant run. Third and four..incomplete pass and we're stuck punting. Ohio State starts now at their own 41 with 6:12 to play. They pick up four in the air, eleven on the ground, and then we finally stop them for no gain on our 44. The back runs for six to the 38 and a big third and four now with 5:00 to go. Ohio State gets a thirty-eight yard catch and run for a td...FLAG!!! FLAG!!! The only thing that can salvage this game and yes, YES, holding!!! We move them back, third and fourteen from the 48 and they run but the play breaks down, loss of eight! They're punting with 4:22 on the clock. Forty-three yard punt and an eighteen yard return by Porcher puts us on our 31 with 3:42 and all our timeouts. Our first two passes are incomplete but our next one is caught for thirteen to the 44. First and ten with 3:01. We go play-action next and Scifres lofts a deep ball to Bouman...he leaps...and needs all 6'6" of himself as he pulls in the pass for a gain of thirty-two to the OSU 24! 2:45 to play and we're feeling pretty good. An incomplete pass and then a run for nothing leave us in the same spot on third down. Time to be smart and try and use Harris. The line breaks down and Scifres scrambles just to get to the line of scrimmage. Fourth down and a field goal coming with 1:49...BLOCKED, DAMN!!! They run, loss of two, timeout called. Their back breaks through for forty-seven though and that looks like the end. OSU takes a knee and that is that, our second straight loss and we drop to 2-2 and likely out of the polls.

[b]Week Five (continued)[/b] FINAL NUMBERS Purdue- 20 Scifres, QB- 19/39, 356 yards, 2 tds, 2 ints Bryant, RB- 20 carries, 60 yards Sandoval, WR- 5 catches, 114 yards, 1 td Douglas, WR- 5 catches, 81 yards, 1 td Harris, TE- 3 catches, 75 yards Bouman, WR- 3 catches, 52 yards Anthony, WR- 1 catch, 23 yards Bryant, RB- 2 catches, 11 yards TOTAL YARDS: 414, 3 turnovers Ohio State- 23 Chester, QB- 20/31, 208 yards Michaels, RB- 30 carries, 106 yards, 2 tds Lang, RB- 4 carries, 61 yards Brown, FB- 3 carries, 35 yards Satterwhite, WR- 5 catches, 84 yards Michaels, RB- 7 catches, 50 yards Beirne, WR- 4 catches, 47 yards Rogers, WR- 2 catches, 20 yards Florence, TE- 2 catches, 8 yards Lang, RB- 1 catch, 3 yards TOTAL YARDS: 403, 1 turnover We fall to .500 despite a pretty decent performance and the team showing some heart. The road games are killing us.

[b]Week Six[/b] "Coach Vest, we think you are doing a fine job but a 2-2 start is not quite what we had in mind when you were brought aboard. There is a good deal of donation money riding on this season but it is going to take a lot of work given the schedule you have ahead," said Rodney Ladden, the John Purdue Club President. "I like how you present it as a donation when it is really a bonus for-" I started to say. "It's a donation that depends upon a job well done. If football shows that the money doesn't want it, there are plenty of other programs on campus that could use the funds. We just want to make sure that you realize that success is very important here," he said, with emphasis on the "make sure you realize" part. "You know, that never really occured to me. I thought we would just go out each week, toss the ball around, maybe run some, and if we win, we win, and if not, oh well. 'Cause it's all about having fun and everyone being safe. Is THAT what you thought my approach was?" I asked sarcastically. "We're not doubting your intentions, just your results," he replied, leaving the statement hanging in the air. I really want to respond as though I'm Herm Edwards and yell back, "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!" but I don't. I sit for a moment and formulate a mature, restrained response. "Well I can certainly understand that and let me reassure you that we are doing all we can to make this a successful campaign. And while I appreciate your time, I really should be getting back to game preparation or else, who knows, maybe we'll lose again," I said. Well, at least I wasn't sarcastic the whole way through. With that out of the way, I had another visit from Tyler Bouman to look forward to. This time we made arrangements for Mike Scifres to join us as well. The duo entered together and we proceeded to break down the routes that Bouman ran and we looked at it from Mike's perspective so that we can evaluate when he is and isn't open. At 6'6", a well placed ball means Bouman is open when a shorter receiver may not be. The session went well and both players are starting to click, which is important because one day Bouman may have to be our top guy.

Week 6 Coach's Notebook Our opponents now look like this- NIU (3-2) Tennessee (3-2) Wisconsin #11 (4-1) Ohio State #24 (3-1) Northwestern (1-3) Penn State #14 (4-0) Minnesota (2-3) Notre Dame (2-3) Michigan #12 (4-0) Michigan State #3 (5-0) Indiana (1-4) Well, I'm not looking forward to the Michigan/Michigan State gauntlet that we have to go through towards the end of our schedule. The way things are going, we may need to win one of those games just to get bowl eligible. And the way the alumni association is making it sound, a bowl could mean my job. Our offense continues to rank in the mid-30's in the country, 34'th right now. Our defense seems to be in a free fall now though, this time slipping to 43'rd. We did not anticipate having to play a bunch of shoot-outs this year but we may have to seriously sit down and re-evaluate our overall attack if our defense can't stop anyone. If the season continues as is and we only win games in which we are favored, our final record would be 6-5 with wins coming against Northwestern, Minnesota, Notre Dame, and Indiana with losses to Penn State, Michigan, and Michigan State. We really want to find a way to win 7 though, so we're going to be working extra hard to go 5-2 the rest of the way, always hard in the Big Ten but also doable.

[b]Week Six[/b] Our offensive line continues to be diminished by injuries with two players out now for four or more weeks. We have decent substitutes but it will continue to affect the quality of the carries that Bryant will get. Otherwise most of our injuries are negligible as we'll have a lot of guys on the field who won't be 100%. This is a game that we have to be ready to make a statement in. We have to win this ballgame and we should win this ballgame. Northwestern is a tough team but not a great team, nowhere near as talented as Ohio State, Wisconsin, or even Tennessee. Maybe this will be the week things get fixed. Their running attack has been our focus all week. We'll let Northwestern try to attack our secondary in the air because their quarterbacks aren't that talented. We will focus seven or eight men on almost every play on Nic Bortz, one of the Big Ten's best running backs. If we stop their rushing attack, we will stop Northwestern. This week is a chance for the offense to hopefully work on achieving balance and yet still maintaining explosiveness. We're hoping to put together an attack that resembles the Tennessee and NIU games rather than the one dimensional performances against Wisconsin and Ohio State. Right now, if a team takes away our run, we seem to fall apart. We're unranked and I can't stand it. This week, we find a way back into the Top 25.

[b]Week Six[/b] We're twenty-five point favorites at home and frankly I'm amazed that we're more than a one score favorite. I guess the whole gambling portion of the country is expecting our defense to shut down Nic Bortz. And in the light rain we stopped the Wild Cats' rushing attack early, seven yards on three plays. Let's see what the offense can do against the worst defensive team we've seen all year. And our ever-potent offense started out with a run that was stuffed at the line. On second down Scifres dropped back and nailed Seth Harris over the middle, gain of twenty-nine up to our 45. We stalled out there but a good punt left Northwestern on their 7. Bortz took a screen for twenty yards but we stopped them after that and our defense was looking sharp. Another punt, this time we took over at our 29. Time to go to the air. We were incomplete on a deep play-action, a disappointment as Douglas broke open. We returned to the ground on second down and Bryant took off to the endzone, celebration time! Except there was a review from above... "The runner stepped out twenty-one yards down field, first down Purdue." We got first and ten at our 50 but I couldn't but feel that we lost six points. We got a short completion and a dropped pass, making it third and seven. Scifres aired one out to Douglas, beautifully lofted spiral, right over the shoulder and Douglas hauled it in for a gain of twenty-seven to the Wild Cats' 20. We picked up a yard on second down on a run, and we're facing another long third down. Scifres dropped back, fired over the middle to Harris and the tight end got yet another touchdown! Boilermakers 7-0. Northwestern responded with a short drive but we stopped them dead at our 42. Their punter Preston Ephraim knocked the punt out at our 3, putting us behind the eight ball. Correll Bryant's first two carries moved us thirteen yards down field to our 16. We have some room so we can take a chance or two now. Tyler Bouman broke free on a middle streak and Scifres hit him for a twenty-nine yard gain to the 45. Bryant ran outside the left tackle, shook off a defender and rolled fourteen yards down field, first down at the NW 41. Scifres hit Bryant for a twenty-one yard gain on a screen pass and we're back to the red zone hoping to strike quickly. Sandoval ran a hook route and camped out just past the goal line. Scifres looked up and made an NFL-caliber throw and Sandoval hauled it in for another score, 14-0 Boilermakers. Northwestern ended the first quarter at their own 38 following a three yard run. So far we've held them to just thirty-two passing yards and twenty-eight rushing yards. Can we keep it up?

[b]Week Six (continued)[/b] The Wild Cats gave it to their fullback to start the second quarter and Traverius Dove rocked his world and the ball fell to the earth. MLB Darrell Schey pounced on it, turnover at the Northwestern 41. Bryant is really looking good today and maybe his work with Trapp is starting to pay off. He takes a toss for ten yards to start things off and put us on the 31. A two yard pass, one yard run and a fifteen yard facemask really move us close. A sack bumped us back to the 19 but a four yard pass almost made up for it. Third and eleven at the 15...Scifres takes the snap and looks to the endzone...Douglas breaks open briefly...and the pass goes off the fingertips, fourth down. Patrick Sams and his great leg came out and 17-0 Purdue. Northwestern coughs it up on the kick-off and we recover at their 24 and now we're looking dangerous. Bryant runs for nothing, takes a screen for one, and now we're third and long yet again, it's a bad theme for the day. Scifres looked to Douglas again and again no luck. Sams gets the call again to make things 20-0 Purdue. A couple huge plays by the Northwestern passing game of all things and it's third and two at our 13. Bortz beats our eight man stack and breaks through for ten, first and goal at our 3. The first play was incomplete...the second was a gain of one on the ground...third down run for a loss of two and we've held. Except Randy Walker surprises me by going for it on fourth. They run a short out that is incomplete, turnover on downs. The first play from our 4 went for sixteen on a pass to Douglas, first and ten at the 20. Bryant followed with a ten yard run thanks to some outstanding blocking. Bryant takes three more carries for fourteen yards, first and ten at our 44. We get stuffed and end up looking third and eleven when Scifres nails Sandoval for twenty-seven yards to the Northwestern 30 with 1:50 to play. Bouman makes a five yard catch and stays in bounds to keep the clock moving. On third and five we complete a pass for six to the 19. We lose four on a run but complete a pass for eight, third and six at the 15. We need six yards and get it on a slant pass to the 9. 0:34 to play and now we can be creative. We run the same hook that worked earlier and gain four with Douglas dancing out of bounds with 0:26 to play at the 5. We go to a fade for Seth Harris and he catches it at the 2 and runs over a corner for the score!!! Purdue 27-0. The Northwestern QB takes a knee and that is the first half...

[b]Week Six (continued)[/b] HALFTIME NUMBERS Purdue- 27 Scifres, QB- 19/28 for 233, 3 tds Bryant, RB- 15 carries, 89 yards Bouman, WR- 5 catches, 54 yards Harris, TE- 3 catches, 53 yards, 2 tds Sandoval, WR- 4 catches, 52 yards, 1 td Douglas, WR- 4 catches, 51 yards Bryant, RB- 3 catches, 23 yards TOTAL YARDS: 313 Northwestern- 0 Dingle, QB- 4/11, 81 yards Bortz, RB- 10 carries, 42 yards Beach, RB- 6 carries, 11 yards Thomas, FB- 1 carry, 3 yards Dingle, QB- 3 carries, 2 yards Brookshier, WR- 1 catch, 43 yards Bortz, RB- 1 catch, 20 yards Pitts, WR- 1 catch, 12 yards Stoops, WR- 1 catch, 6 yards TOTAL YARDS: 139, 2 turnovers No fun halftime interview on the field in this local telecast.

[b]Week Six (continued)[/b] Bryant starts by carrying twice for ten from our 18 and sets up the deep play-action perfectly. Scifres drops back and throws a deep jump ball to Bouman...CAUGHT! Thirty-eight yards on the play to the Northwestern 34. We call a perfectly timed run off left guard and Bryant goes for ten more, first and ten at the 24. A holding call moved us back ten but Scifres to Harris happened again, this time for thirty four and a score! 34-0 Purdue. Northwestern marched sixteen plays downfield for eighty yards and a touchdown but it is definitely too little too late...I hope. Purdue 34-7. We marched downfield all the way to the Northwestern 1 where they stopped us dead, turnover on downs. I guess I got greedy but I really wanted to put this thing away once and for all. Fourth quarter coming up...

[b]Week Six (continued)[/b] We stopped the Wild Cats and got a punt. From our 30, Bryant took another carry for ten and I can't help but wonder how the Hell we couldn't score with two straight runs from the 1 last quarter. We didn't get too aggressive and punted it back with 12:38 to play. We ended up getting the ball and going on a twelve play, sixty yard drive that culminated in another Seth Harris touchdown reception, his fourth of the day!!! Purdue 41-7. With 0:50 seconds to go Reuben Robb made a pick and put together a nice twenty-three yard return to take it to the Northwestern 17. We pick up twelve on a pass to the 5 and Walker calls a timeout for Northwestern. I'm not trying to run it up but I'm also not going to stop calling plays as we need the work. Scifres hits our third string receiver Anthony for a td for seven, 48-7 Purdue!

[b]Week Six (continued)[/b] FINAL NUMBERS Purdue- 48 Scifres, QB- 38/50, 470 yards, 6 tds Bryant, RB- 30 carries, 180 yards Sandoval, WR- 8 catches, 109 yards, 1 td Bouman, WR- 8 catches, 95 yards Harris, TE- 8 catches, 90 yards, 4 tds (Big fan of the tight end now) Bryant, RB- 7 catches, 76 yards Douglas, WR- 4 catches, 51 yards Foster, WR- 3 catches, 35 yards Anthony, WR- 1 catch, 5 yards, 1 td TOTAL YARDS: 628 Northwestern- 7 Dingle, QB- 8/22, 113 yards, 1 td Williams, QB- 0/2, 0 yards, 1 int Bortz, RB- 17 carries, 78 yards Beach, RB- 13 carries, 28 yards Dingle, QB- 5 carries, 9 yards Thomas, FB- 1 carry, 3 yards Bortz, RB- 4 catches, 46 yards, 1 td Brookshier, WR-, 1 catch, 43 yards Pitts, WR- 2 catches, 18 yards Still, WR- 1 catch, 6 yards TOTAL YARDS: 219, 3 turnovers

[b]Week Six (continued)[/b] PRESS CONFERENCE Vest- This is what I've been looking for from this team over the last couple weeks. The defense faced a challenge today in Nic Bortz and we shut him down for the most part. Offensively, I guess I've had to go back on my initial thoughts and I must say that I love having a tight end. Hmmm, that could be a weird soundbite, make sure you give it context! Media- Tell us your thoughts on Michael Scifres' performance to date. Vest- He's been amazing thus far. He's second in the country in passing yards, touchdowns, touchdown to interception ratio, and fourth in the NCAA in passer rating. He's been incredible and, as is expected, there is a lot of NFL talk. He's the guy that has taken the team on his back and carried us through both the good and the bad. Media- Seth Harris second to Scifres in your team MVP hunt? Vest- God yeah, who knew!?! He's top five in receptions by a tight end, second in yards receiving, and first in tds scored. What more can the guy do?! Media- Okay, enough of the positives, what do you make of Correll Bryant? Vest- He put together a tremendous game but the test will be whether or not he can do it week in and week out. I think Ken Trapp has helped him a ton and I think we've started to learn how to utilize him. Furthermore, our offensive line, mostly made up of back-ups now, has done a nice job of blocking for him. Media- Penn State is looking very tough this week, can your team beat them? Vest- Never count anybody out, particularly us. We're a cornered animal right now because we can't afford to lose much more. Don't be surprised if we strike out and lay the smack down on one of these ranked teams. Media- Coach Walker is complaining that you ran up the score, any comments? Vest- Yeah, Coach Walker needs to not call timeouts when his team is down by thirty-four with under a minute to go. If he has a complaint, let him call me and we'll figure it out. Thank you.

Archived