Coach 'Bulletproof': A Coach's Story

[b]Week Nine[/b] HALFTIME NUMBERS Purdue- 14 Scifres, QB- 11/14, 172 yards, 2 tds Bryant, RB- 9 carries, 33 yards Trapp, RB- 3 carries, 3 yards Foster, WR- 3 catches, 69 yards Bouman, WR- 3 catches, 37 yards, 2 tds Harris, TE- 1 catch, 30 yards Sandoval, WR- 1 catch, 12 yards Anthony, WR- 1 catch, 9 yards TOTAL YARDS: 191 Notre Dame- 21 Voight, QB- 10/19, 190 yards, 2 tds, 1 int Sommer, HB- 13 carries, 70 yards, 1 td Walters, HB- 3 carries, 17 yards Garrett, WR- 3 catches, 79 yards, 1 td Harper, WR- 4 catches, 36 yards, 1 td Todd, WR- 1 catch, 31 yards Kitts, TE- 1 catch, 27 yards Sommer, RB- 1 catch, 17 yards TOTAL YARDS: 276, 1 turnover We need to control the game's tempo with our defense. If we can't, we lose. If we can, I guarantee victory.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[b]Week Nine[/b] Sams' kick is terrible and we probably won't be able to rely on him much at all today. ND starts on their own 42. Our defense held them to just four yards and forced the punt. The Irish downed the kick at our 19. Bryant ran for three on our first offensive play and Notre Dame's safety got badly injured. As cold-hearted as this sounds, time to attack them deep. And I was right as Scifres nails Seth Harris for a thirty-five yards gain. First and ten at the Irish 43. We took an illegal motion penatly, gained one on a short pass and on third and fourteen Scifres again found Harris, gain of fourteen. First and ten at the Irish 33. Scifres to Harris again but this time the D was ready. Clarence Rodgers unloaded on Harris BUT HE HELD ON, twenty-one yard gain to the 12! A five yard PI gave us first and goal at the 5. Scifres got three straight completions, the third finally getting us into the endzone on a five yard strike to Bouman again! Tie game, 21-21! Notre Dame took over at their own 17. We called a blitz, thinking the Irish were going to pass and we were right...but Voight got the ball off for a thirty-two yard gain. Burned. We finally halted the Irish on our 28. Their kicker, Tony Graham missed his attempt wide right, turnover on downs. We took a bad penalty and Scifres got crushed on second and long but he completed it. Third and nine and we had to take Scifres out, probably for the day. We gained just one on the screen and had to kick it away. Collins got some leg into it and we stuck ND at their 22. We knocked Notre Dame back to their 17 and they had to punt it back to us. The Irish downed it on our 40. A false start moved that back five. We ran for one and then for four and this became the controversial play of the day. Our back-up quarterback, Bob Jackson got creamed behind the play by ND's left outside linebacker and it dislocated his throwing shoulder. No flags from the refs anywhere and we're down to our third string qb. Tom O'Donnell's first pass went to Bouman for a gain of six but it wasn't enough, punting again. Collins knocked the punt out at the Irish 14 and our defense knows the game is on their shoulders now for sure. Can they live up to the responsibility? INTERCEPTION, INTERCEPTION!!! Inside linebacker Darrell Schey made a beautiful pick on first down and even brought it back sixteen yards to the Irish 40! Bryant gained five on his first carry. Gained one on the next, making it third and four at the Irish 34. Yet another sack allowed by the line, this one for six, left us punting from the Irish 40 and hoping Collins can come up with a big one here to start the fourth quarter.

[b]Week Nine[/b] An Irish bounce left the ball at their own 16, not bad, but not great. A false start made things a little better though, first and fifteen at their own 11. The Irish picked up four on first down to make it second and eleven at the 15. Voight then connected for twenty-nine yards to the 44. The Irish followed with a gain of fifteen in the air, and they are at our 41 now. We stopped the Irish on first and we're helped out by a big offensive holding penalty on second to make it second and twenty from their 49. We bit on the play-action but the pass skipped to the receiver, third and twenty. Defensive end Dan Kramer came up with a huge move off the snap, creamed the quarterback and knocked the Irish back to their 39. A long punt found us starting at our 11. We ran a slant route out of the shotgun but O'Donnell found nothing until he dumped it off to Harris who took off down the sideline. The video shows me running alongside him down our sideline, waving my arms like a madman. By the time the defensive back caught Harris, he was fifty-seven yards down field at the Irish 32. Correll Bryant ran for ten on the ensuing carry, first and ten at the Irish 22. He then took a pitch wide left for five to the 17. O'Donnell found Tony Foster, arced the ball out and just before taking a monsterous hit, Foster tucked the ball away for a gain of fourteen to the 3. First and goal, tie game, with 10:50 to play. O'Donnell hit Sandoval for a gain of one on first down. Second and goal at the 2 and I promised to give Bryant a shot at the endzone so here it is...TOUCHDOWN! 28-21 Purdue, first lead of the game! Patrick Sams made a big kick, putting the ball through the endzone for a touchback. First and ten for the Irish at their own 20. The first pass fell incomplete and the Irish running game lost three on second down. Third and thirteen at their own 17. Darrell Schey batted the pass away and Notre Dame had to punt. It traveled just thirty-three yards and we get good field position again, this time at the 50. A screen to Bryant went for three, making it second and seven at the Irish 47. Bryant ran for two, leaving us with five yards to go to a first down. O'Donnell dropped back, locked in on Harris, and the ND defense read it for a pick and a ten yard return. The Irish start at their 36. The first pass bounces incomplete and the defense seems aggressive and angry. We hurried Voight into another incompletion on second down and that gives the Irish third and long. A disguised blitz forces another quick throw and another incompletion. After a seven yard return, we took over at our own 22 with 5:38 to play. We talked to O'Donnell on the sideline, "nothing but safe passes," we told him. We started with a reverse to Sandoval for six. A toss left for Bryant went ten more to our 38 and a first down. Bryant picked up two on the next play and Gautt wanted to throw on second. I vetoed it, gunshy after the bad pick O'Donnell just threw. I called for another toss to Bryant. He picked up seven but we were flagged for illegal motion, second and thirteen at our 35. Gautt tells me we have no choice but to throw so we go play-action over the middle and remind O'Donnell to watch the linebackers getting sucked in. He hits an open Tyler Bouman but the ref calls a trap, no good. Third and long with 3:49 to play. I call for a run again, trying to set-up a good punt. Bryant gains one and we're kicking from our 36 with 3:28 to go. Collins boots it inside the Irish 20 and it comes to a final stop at their 18. Voight unbelievably threw incomplete on a wide open screen and for a second I think to myself, "we have him rattled." Voight throws with happy feet on second down, again incomplete. Third and ten at their own 18 with just 2:25 to play. Our defense needs this...but the Irish complete a screen for fifteen to the 33. Our blitz on first down forces another incompletion with 1:52 on the clock. A completion goes for seven on second down. Third and three and we go to a straight man defense...Chuck Pope breaks through the line as Voight sets up...SACK! Loss of five on the play, fourth and eight now from their 35 with 1:23 to go. A well-timed blitz forces another quick incompletion...TURNOVER ON DOWNS! A two yard carry by Bryant is finished with an Irish timeout. Second and eight, 1:05 to play, and we're at their 33. Bryant picks up ten on a sweep but is forced out of bounds with under a minute to go. He runs for no game and the Irish use their second timeout to stop the clock at 0:50. The Irish take their last timeout after a one yard carry to their 22 and just 0:42 left. Bryant picks up three on the run but the refs are quick re-stacking and there is 0:37 to play. Rather than run a play and hope we run out the clock, we line up in field goal formation and Sams seals the deal, 31-21 with fourteen seconds left!

[b]Week Nine[/b] FINAL NUMBERS Purdue- 31 Scifres, QB- 19/23, 263 yards, 3 tds O'Donnell, QB- 5/7, 81 yards, 1 int Jackson, QB- 1/1, 1 yard Bryant, RB- 27 carries, 92 yards, 1 td Sandoval, WR- 1 carry, 6 yards Trapp, RB- 3 carries, 3 yards Harris, TE- 6 catches, 156 yards Foster, WR- 4 catches, 83 yards Bouman, WR- 6 catches, 61 yards, 3 tds Bryant, RB- 4 catches, 19 yards Sandoval, WR- 5 catches, 11 yards Anthony, WR- 1 catch, 9 yards TOTAL YARDS: 423, 1 turnover Notre Dame- 21 Voight, QB- 18/43, 305 yards, 2 tds, 2 ints Sommer, RB- 15 carries, 77 yards, 1 td Walters, RB- 8 carries, 25 yards Harper, WR- 7 catches, 108 yards, 1 td Garrett, WR- 5 catches, 98 yards, 1 td Kitts, WR- 2 catches, 34 yards Todd, TE- 1 catch, 31 yards Sommer, RB- 1 catch, 17 yards Walters, RB- 2 catches, 17 yards TOTAL YARDS: 392, 2 turnovers And on this day, our defense gets the game ball for allowing zero second half points and allowing us to overcome a 21-7 deficit!

[b]Week Nine[/b] Vest- I guess the [i]Sports Illustrated[/i] jinx got us today. Scifres appears on the cover this week and goes down to a combination of hamstring and achilles tendon issues today. Luckily we're deep at quarterback, like we proved today, playing three and still winning. Ken Trapp continues to be hampered by injuries as well and we may have to seriously re-evaluate what we want to do with him the rest of the way. Media- Congratulations on beating the hated Irish, what was the key today? Vest- The defense made incredible adjustments at the half and that is shown in the final score. The defense worked hard to keep Notre Dame from threatening and they did. They played smart, they played controlled, and they never seemed to shy away from the opportunity to make big plays. This win was thanks to them. Media- Can your offense recover from today's injuries? Vest- Well, our training staff will likely announce tomorrow the status of our injured players but I think we can do well even in a worse case scenario. Look at O'Donnell's numbers today: 5 of 7 for 81 yards. Those numbers didn't come in garbage time, they came down the stretch of a vitally important ball game. If we need him to be our starter, I have faith in his abilities. We'll adjust our gameplan around him if the situation calls for it but I know that he can lead this team just like Michael Scifres or Bob Jackson. Media- Michigan is coming off of a 36-0 shutout of Illinois, can your team handle playing them and handle having to play them in the Big House? Vest- It'll be a challenge, no doubt about it and it might be a challenge that proves too great. But we won't know that until we try and I can say this, we will give it our all.

[b]Week Ten[/b] Coach's Notebook Our opponents now look like this- NIU (6-3) Tennessee (5-4) Wisconsin #8 (7-2) Ohio State (4-3) Northwestern (2-5) Penn State #24 (6-2) Minnesota (3-5) Notre Dame (5-4) Michigan #7 (7-1) Michigan State #9 (7-2) Indiana (2-6) We're ranked 19'th in the country right now in both bowls and are currently 17'th in the BCS. The computers are much kinder, putting us at 10'th. All in all, we're a solid top twenty team but I have to worry that losses these next two weeks could permenantly change that. I'm even more worried about tomorrow's injury report...

[b]Week Ten[/b] And I did have a lot to worry about, here is this week's injury report: QB Bob Jackson is recovering from an injury to his Shoulder (Laceration). He seems to be progressing well and we recommend playing him this week. QB Michael Scifres is struggling with an injury to his Heel/Achilles (Strain). He is able to play this weekend, but I don't think he would be anywhere close to 100%. The smart move would be to let him sit and check again next week. RB Ken Trapp is really hampered by an injury to his Lower Leg (Torn Calf Muscle). He could play as an absolute last resort, but we would strongly advise against it. WR Louis Douglas is really hampered by an injury to his Ankle (Torn Tendon). He could play as an absolute last resort, but we would strongly advise against it. TE Gene Davenport is saddled with an injury to his Quadriceps (Strained). His performance would certainly suffer if you played him so we recommend letting have a little more time to get back closer to 100%. OT Barrett Sharper is saddled with an injury to his Shoulder (Torn Rotator Cuff). His performance would certainly suffer if you played him so we recommend letting have a little more time to get back closer to 100%. OG Ernie Carlson is trying to play through an injury to his Shoulder (Torn Tendon). He seems willing to give it a go, but we would recommend giving him another week to recover. OG B.J. Stovall will not be playing this week because of his Foot (Stress Fracture). We are making good progress, though, so keep monitoring him over the next few weeks. C Matt Bush is really hampered by an injury to his Foot (Stress Fracture). He could play as an absolute last resort, but we would strongly advise against it. DT Chuck Pope is saddled with an injury to his Wrist (Contusion). His performance would certainly suffer if you played him so we recommend letting have a little more time to get back closer to 100%. ILB Darrell Schey is recovering from an injury to his Foot (Fracture). He seems to be progressing well and we recommend playing him this week. OLB Travaris Dove is struggling with an injury to his Foot (Complete Ligament Tear). He is able to play this weekend, but I don't think he would be anywhere close to 100%. The smart move would be to let him sit and check again next week. CB Reuben Robb will not be playing this week because of his Shoulder (Frayed Labrum). We are making good progress, though, so keep monitoring him over the next few weeks.

[b]Week Ten[/b] "Coach, I'm here to tell you that I can and will play this Saturday," Michael Scifres told me before I could even offer a salutation. "Michael, I appreciate your determination but-" I started. "'but' nothing Coach, I want to play, I'm cleared to play, now get me back in there," he said. This was good news, at least I thought so. The problem though, wasn't apparent to me until that night. Our offensive line has been battered and has played brutally bad as a collection of subs and now we have to protect an already injured quarterback. We need to find a way to protect him. The good news that came out of this though was that Bob Jackson will be available in a back-up role IF Scifres gets hurt again. His injury turned out to be fairly minor and he's ready to roll. I got a phone call late that night, hmmm, maybe I should say super early in the morning since it was 2 a.m. I picked up and groggily said, "hello." "Coach, it's Coach Higgs, I think Michigan can be exploited by our offense..." and the voice began to launch into a lengthy discussion of short, high percentage passes. I rubbed my eyes and thought that either I'm drunk or he's drunk but I think the D-Coordinator is calling to give me offensive advice. "Coach, I know you think I'm crazy, but it is how Wisconsin blew them out two weeks ago. I think that once they try to adjust at halftime to the short passes that it will open up runs and the deeper ball. If the offense gets us 35 points, we will win, I promise you that Coach," Higgs concluded. "Alright, meet Coach Gautt and I tomorrow at 6:30 am for a run through of this strategy and maybe we will go with it," I said. "Coach, you have to trust me," he said.

[b]Week Ten[/b] We come into today's game only a seven point underdog which is quite surprising. If we can stop the Michigan rushing attack, that'll be the key. From there, we'll see if Coach Higgs' strategy will work for us offensively. Coach Gautt and I decided to give it a quarter and re-evaluate from there. 108,000 fans watch Ken Trapp take the opening kick to our own 20 to get things started. We try short passes on the first two plays and get nothing after a sack and an incompletion. Our third down pass play was incomplete as well, we punted away after just three plays. Our punt ended up at their 37. Their first run went for ten yards, a bad sign. Eight plays, sixty-three yards later and things were quickly 7-0 Michigan and we looked badly outclassed. We went to the ground this time, starting on our own 34. Trapp got us eleven and a first. On the first down play from our 45 Michael Scifres hit Tyler Bouman deep for twenty-seven yards and a first down. We got stuck at their 27 and I made the mistake of going for it on fourth and getting no gain, turnover on downs. The good news is that our offense stepped it up some. Our defense bounced back nicely and forced a Michigan three and out. We returned the favor offensively and we've strayed far, far away from the short pass concept and are just trying to make some plays. Michigan nailed us with a long bomb for a touchdown, fifty-four yards, a missed extra point, and 13-0 Wolverines. We responded with back-to-back broken plays, one in which Scifres was sacked and the other found him tackled just past the line of scrimmage. However, he came back on third down, hung in, and nailed Seth Harris for a gain of twenty-one to keep things alive. First and ten at our 44 would get us no further than the 50. Collins' punt was a beauty though and bounced out at the Michigan 6. A ten yard completion ended the quarter...

[b]Week Ten[/b] First and ten for the Wolverines at their own 16. We would end up stopping them at their own 35 after some give and take, not a bad job by the defense with the exception of two big plays thus far. It took a while but we finally started our own march down field. Scifres hit a couple receivers and Trapp made a nice run or two and we moved from our 15 to our 40. Kendall Sandoval ran a slant route that he got a step or two on and Scifres hit him for what turned into a nice fifteen yard gain and we've crossed back into Michigan territory. A five yard illegal motion play put us back to the 50 but Ken Trapp broke a nice ten yard run to make it second and five at the 40. Correll Bryant made his first appearance and followed with his own nine yard run to the 31. Following an incomplete pass, Trapp broke another sweep, this one for eight. Third and two at the 23 of Michigan. Michigan stacked against the run and we were prepared. Scifres took a quick drop and fired to Bouman who gained nineteen, first and goal at the four. Correll Bryant gained one yard on his run but we also benefitted from a five yard facemask, half the distance. Second and goal at the 1. Correll Bryant got the next carry and...TOUCHDOWN!!! 13-7 Michigan. Michigan started on their 29 and made a big play to start, a thirty-three yard pass to quickly move up field. A nine yard play and then a ten yard play moved them down to our 19, first and ten. The vaunted Michigan aerial attack took over and drove in on three plays, 20-7 Wolverines. We started our drive on our 35 and a quick run from Trapp moved us to the 45. We need an answer and I'm hoping it's coming. Our only answer was back-to-back-to-back incompletions and a nice punt that went out at the 9. We stopped them and they gave us the ball back at our 45 with just 1:09 to play. We sent in our hurry up package, hoping to make something happen. A hold moved us back ten yards to the 35 and made it first and twenty. An intentional grounding cost us another eight, back to our 27. Scifres then had a deep pass intercepted at the Michigan 24, end of possession and end of half.

[b]Week Ten[/b] HALFTIME NUMBERS Purdue- 7 Scifres, QB- 6/20, 99 yards, 1 int Trapp, RB- 10 carries, 47 yards Bryant, RB- 3 carries, 11 yards, 1 td Bouman, WR- 2 catches, 46 yards Harris, WR- 2 catches, 32 yards Sandoval, WR- 2 catches, 21 yards TOTAL YARDS: 153, 1 turnover Michigan- 20 Wilcox, QB- 12/19, 167 yards, 2 tds Muhammed, RB- 11 carries, 78 yards, 1 td Nichols, WR- 3 catches, 50 yards Niland, WR- 4 catches, 47 yards Crawford, WR- 2 catches, 46 yards, 1 td Muhammed, RB- 2 catches, 13 yards, 1 td Muhammad, TE- 1 catch, 11 yards TOTAL YARDS: 258

[b]Week Ten[/b] Michigan's opening drive stopped at their 41 and our offense went back out. I decided at halftime that if Scifres started slowly, I would give the game over to Jackson to see what he could do. Put up or shut-up time for our Heisman candidate. Trapp gained one on a run and Scifres hit Sandoval for six to make it third and three at our 30. Scifres found Sandoval again, this time for thirty on a brilliant grab by the receiver. First and ten at the Michigan 40. Scifres scrambled for two on first down, Bryant ran for six on second, leaving us third and two at the Michigan 32. Sandoval ran a slant, fought off a pass interference, and gained thirteen to make it first and ten at the 19. I guess I won't be pulling Scifres. Scifres threw a screen out to Bryant, gain of thirteen, first and goal at the 6. First down was a no gain scramble on a broken pass play. Scifres hit Harris for four but more importantly, a roughing the passer penalty made it first and goal at the 1. We went nowhere on the first two plays and Bryant lost four on the third play, fourth and goal from the 5. We decided to go for it, knowing that the field goal still left us with two scores. Scifres hit Harris but it was stopped for a one yard gain, turnover on downs, and a heartbreaker. Michigan decided to put us out of our misery, moving ninety-six yards on thirteen plays for the back-breaking score, 26-7 Wolverines after a missed two point conversion. Mike Porcher took the kickoff back fourteen and got a fifteen yard unnecessary roughness call to give us possession at our 39. We gave it back after three incompletions, nothing doing. At the 11:00 mark on fourth and goal from the Michigan 11 Michael Scifres hooked up with Tyler Bouman for a score, 26-14 Michigan with 11:00 to play. At 6:42 left, we picked off a pass and returned it to our 44. Scifres hit Sandoval for a forty-six yard gain down to the Michigan 10 with 5:33 to play. Scifres immediately hit Bouman again...TOUCHDOWN! 26-21 Michigan with 5:00 to play. Sams drilled the ball into the endzone...touchback. First and ten for Michigan at their 20. Michigan ran for one yard on first down. On second down the Michigan quarterback threw another pick! First and ten at our 27 with 3:41 to play. Scifres completed a fifty-four yard pass to Sandoval for a HUGE first down and huge move down the field. First and ten at the Michigan 19 with 3:15 to go. After a loss of two on a run, Scifres hit Anthony for a twelve yard gain and first down at the Michigan 9. First and goal with just 2:32 to play. Seth Harris came up with a big catch over the middle and...TOUCHDOWN PURDUE!!! 27-26 pending the two point conversion. Correll Bryant, with the help of a blocker, converted the two, 29-26 Purdue! Sams' kickoff was two yards deep and our coverage was amazing, Michigan ball, first and ten at their own 14 with just 1:35 to play. Michigan completed for nine to their 23. Second and one...a screen pass for ten to their own 33. First and ten and 1:05 to play...another gain of ten, now at their 43. A fifteen yard gain moved the ball to our 44 with just 0:53 to play. However there was some good news, the Michigan QB Wilcox came up limping and left the game. First and ten...sacked for four yards! 0:38 to go, second and fourteen at our 48...incomplete. 0:31 to play, third and fourteen...completed for a gain of four. Fourth and ten, 0:24 to play and the ball at our 44...TOUCHDOWN Michigan on broken coverage. And like that, our collective hearts sank...33-29 Michigan.

[b]Week Ten[/b] FINAL NUMBERS Purdue- 29 Scifres, QB- 23/46, 381 yards, 3 tds, 1 int Trapp, RB- 11 carries, 46 yards Bryant, RB- 9 carries, 15 yards, 1 td Sandoval, WR- 7 catches, 170 yards Bouman, WR- 5 catches, 84 yards, 2 tds Harris, TE- 7 catches, 71 yards, 1 td Anthony, WR- 2 catches, 37 yards Bryant, RB- 2 catches, 19 yards TOTAL YARDS: 438, 1 turnover Michigan- 33 Wilcox, QB- 26/40, 333 yards, 3 tds, 2 ints Rehberg, QB- 2/3, 48 yards, 1 td Muhammad, RB- 23 carries, 142 yards, 1 td Barton, FB- 7 carries, 31 yards Nichols, WR- 7 catches, 168 yards, 1 td Crawford, WR- 4 catches, 56 yards, 1 td Niland, WR- 5 catches, 56 yards Allen, WR- 6 catches, 56 yards, 1 td Muhammad, RB- 3 catches, 30 yards Muhammad, TE- 2 catches, 13 yards, 1 td Harrison, RB- 1 catch, 2 yards TOTAL YARDS: 552, 2 turnovers I'm completely crushed by this loss...

[b]Week Ten[/b] PRESS CONFERENCE Vest- What can I say, this was a truly heartbreaking loss. We were out of it, then we clawed our way back in to take a lead, and then we snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with a breakdown in the secondary. Brutal way to lose a game. I think that a forty point loss might have felt better. Media- What do you take away from this game to use next week against an even more dangerous Michigan State? Vest- I think we leave here knowing that we can hang with and potentially beat these upper echelon teams. Our defense, while giving up a high number of yards, did an outstanding job. Earlier this week, our D-Coordinator told me that if our offense could put up thirty-five that he could guarantee victory. He was exactly right, but our offense couldn't do it. Media- Do you blame the change in offensive philosophy for the loss? Vest- Not at all, had we been able to complete at higher than 50%, this could've been a very different outcome. I don't blame Michael Scifres though, he played through a tough injury and of course it was going to effect his performance. I probably should have gone with O'Donnell but how do you like a Heisman candidate and the team's leader in the eyes and say, "you can't play against Michigan?" Media- What are you going to do with the running game, it seems to need some consistency. Vest- Yes, it does and that is a very astute observation, want a job? Anyway, we'll probably be naming Correll Bryant our starting running back and allow Ken Trapp to recover while just getting a couple carries here and there. I think we, and by 'we' I mean I, pushed him too hard, too fast. Media- You worked a lot earlier in the season with Tyler Bouman. How do you feel about his performance in the last five games. His numbers are 30 catches, 433 yards, 7 touchdowns, and just 2 dropped passes. Vest- He's a very viable weapon and as he continues to improve, he'll only become more dangerous. I see Tyler becoming our number 1 receiver next year if he can keep this up. Media- Seth Harris has been shut down, sort of, these last couple weeks, why? Vest- Shut down?! Man, I wish we were all "shut down" like him! He has 13 catches and 227 yards in the two weeks you claim he was "shut down." I know what you mean though, he set the bar very high in his three game stretch against Northwestern, Penn State, and Minnesota but we're now playing Notre Dame, Michigan, and next week Michigan State, it is a difference of caliber of opponent. Plus, teams are focusing on him which has helped free up our receivers. As they produce, he'll find himself open more and more. Media- Can your defense win a game for you? Vest- I have gone back and forth about this all year and I tell you right now, yes, yes they can. It will take a dedicated and focused effort, but they can and they almost did today. Michigan State better be ready for a fired up Purdue defense.

[b]Week Eleven[/b] Coach's Notebook Our opponents now look like this- NIU (7-3) Tennessee (6-4) Wisconsin #8 (8-2) Ohio State (5-3) Northwestern (3-5) Penn State #22 (7-2) Minnesota (3-6) Notre Dame (6-4) Michigan #6 (8-1) Michigan State #12 (7-2) Indiana (2-7) We've slipped to 23'rd which isn't too bad considering the quality of our last opponent but a loss to Michigan State would almost surely knock us from the polls. And while we should win the last game, I doubt that a victory over 2-7 Indiana would propel us back into the top 25. The game against the Spartans will be vitally important. BCS rankings currently show us at 21 with our strength of schedule currently at 8'th in the nation. Man, I hate to see the schedules of those other schools that are ahead of us. There are currently three undefeateds in the country, LSU at number 1, Oklahoma at 2, and Florida State at 3. Will the BCS be able to sort this out?

[b]Week Eleven[/b] "Ken, I need you to sit down. We need to talk about the rest of this season," I started. I had spent the last two days with the team's medical staff trying to figure out what we should do with Ken Trapp. One doctor recommended sitting him the rest of the way while two others thought that getting back to the field would do him no harm and may help to improve his spirits. It was a tough decision to make because the team needs him and he needs to play. "I hate to break it to you, but we're going to bump you down on the depth chart and shut you down at least until the Indiana game in three weeks," I said, hoping he would take it well. "But Coach, come on, this is my chance. I need the exposure of the MSU game," he replied. "I understand that Ken, but your health and the team come before personal exposure. We are going to sit you, both on one doctor's advice and more importantly, my own decision," I said, finalizing the discussion. Trapp left without saying anything else and I could tell that he was fuming. I hoped it would blow over but before I could think too much about it, another storm blew in. "Coach, you're moving me back to the third wide receiver!" shouted Tyler Bouman. "Well Tyler, we-" I began. "Didn't I do well? Didn't I do everything you asked? I played better Coach, please don't take me out of the starting lineup," he pleaded, reaching for any reason to keep his playing time. "Look Tyler, you've done amazingly well but with Louis Douglas back from injury, he deserves his spot back, don't you think," I asked, appealing to Tyler's rational side. "Well, yeah," he admitted, "but can you please keep me out on the field, I want to play." I reminded Tyler that having Douglas back is both good for the team and will help him get open even more and he left satisfied. Again, because nothing is ever finished, the phone rang. "Coach Vest, this is Rodney White from the campus security. We wanted to let you know that Ken Trapp has damaged a couple of vending machines in the athletic building," the voice on the phone said. "We'll take care of it," I told the campus cop.

[b]Week Eleven[/b] John Smith called my office this morning to tell me that my team had put "quite a shock into his" with our performance against Michigan. He was worried that his team would come out flat after having last weekend off. I told him I could only wish. The final line for the game was an amazing surprise, we're fifteen point favorites at home against a much better ranked team. Maybe I'm too concerned about MSU. We received the opening kick-off and Mike Porcher ran it back thirty-seven yards to our own 48. Quite a place to start. Michael Scifres' first two passes fell incomplete and were complemented by a five yard delay of game penalty. On third and fifteen though he stepped up and drilled one to Kendall Sandoval who made an amazing grab for eighteen. Cornerback Dwayne Bouman made the tackle and it was at this point that I realized why Tyler Bouman wanted to play so badly, his brother is a corner for the Spartans. First and ten at their 39. Bryant ran off tackle for one yard. Scifres then hit Bryant on a screen for twelve to the Spartans' 26. Bryant took his next two carries for a combined ten yards and a first down at the 16. Louis Douglas made his first play of the day hauling in a ten yard pass. First and goal at the 6 now. Scifres hit Seth Harris on a swing pass and...he dives...TOUCHDOWN! Purdue 7-0. We experienced a major special teams breakdown and MSU got a fifty-five yard return to our own 45. Thank goodness for Patrick Sams, our kicker, making a tackle. Michigan State ran the ball on first down for three, on second for five, and on third...LOSS OF TWO! YE--- OH ****, FLAG ON THE PLAY. The ref stepped out and signaled...Unnecessary Roughness on...Michigan State! We forced a punt after giving up great field position. Mike Porcher, against all better judgement, fielded the punt at the four and immediately bolted up field, eluding tackler after tackler until he was finally brought down at their 48. Bryant got two carries but struggled to gain three yards. Third and seven from the MSU 45. We called a deep pass, hoping Scifres could make a great throw. He made a good throw but Louis Douglas made a tremendous acrobatic catch for a catch and run of forty-three yards!!! The Spartans stuffed us on our first two runs but then Scifres dropped back and found Harris in the back of the endzone, TOUCHDOWN! Purdue 14-0. The special teams did better, not great, but better, this time stopping the return at the 28. An eight yard run and an eighteen yard play-action pass moved the Spartans past the fifty and to our 46. Another completion, this one for eleven, moved them much closer. The Spartans got a huge completion at our 20 but when the receiver turned to run upfield he was lit up and the ball shook loose. We recovered immediately and ran it back to our 24. The review upheld the ruling...PURDUE BALL! Bryant took his first carry left for eight, but Louis Douglas got hurt on the play. They stopped Bryant on a sweep for nothing but he burst through for eight more on third down. First and ten at our 40. We went incomplete on a play-action, Bryant picked up two on a run that left our center Matt Bush hurt again. Third and eight and a new center. The shotgun snap came out okay and Scifres quickly hit Bouman in front of his brother for a gain of fourteen to the MSU 44. Scifres took the next snap, held the ball to set-up the screen, and found Bryant who rumbled for fourteen more yards to the 30. Scifres got sacked as a linebacker drove through the middle of our line. Second and sixteen at the 36. Scifres threw incomplete on second down missing an open receiver completely. But on third and sixteen he avoided a tackle and spotted Sam Anthony across the middle...gain of eighteen, first down! In a quickly growing theme, our first two carries went for just three yards. Third and seven at the MSU 15. Kendall Sandoval caught the pass on a slant but was dragged down just short of the first. On fourth and one we decided to kick the field goal to go up by three scores. Sams hit the twenty-seven yarder to end the first quarter; Purdue 17-0.

[b]Week Eleven[/b] MSU returned the ball to their own 33 and our defense went out looking for a big stop. The Spartans ran a screen that we read fairly well, gain of five. A sweep only gained a yard as our defense expected it. A flag came out early on third down a sure sign of holding but the pass landed incomplete and we declined the eventual penalty. The punt bounced out of bounds at our 7, leaving us deep in our own territory. We tried a play-action to move upfield big on one play but Scifres over shot the nearest receiver but a good margin. Seth Harris got open on second down but again Scifres over threw. Tyler Bouman came up big on third down, gaining seventeen on the catch to our 24. We ran back to back off-tackles, the first going for one but Bryant broke loose on the second one for ten. First down at our 35. An incomplete pass and another one yard run left it third and nine. Sam Anthony withstood a tremendous hit to hang on to the pass for a ten yard gain and another first down. Tyler Bouman beat his brother again, this time for twenty-two to the MSU 32. We started with yet another first down incompletion which Bryant followed with a three yard run. Third and seven and we really need to start giving ourselves shorter tries. Harris made the catch for only three yards and we're kicking again, this time from the 26. Sams knocked the forty-four yarder through, Purdue 20-0. Sams finally forced a touchback and the Spartans are starting at their own 20. The Spartans ran three straight plays for four yards each, first down at their 32. We held them there by stuffing two runs and forcing an incomplete on third down. Their punter nailed the kick fifty-seven yards but Mike Porcher again helped us recover, this time returning it twenty-five yards to our 36. Bryant ran for four until he was stopped by Spartans safety Tee Martin, no relation to the former Tennessee QB. Seth Harris caught a short pass for four and now we have a manageable third and two at our 44. We called a play-action curl and MSU was looking run all the way. Kendall Sandoval ended up gaining twelve on his catch to the MSU 44. Bryant took a screen to the strong side, came around the corner and took off! He was off to the races...but the ref said he went out of bounds, gain of seventeen to the MSU 27. We tried the same play the other way but Bryant got creamed for a six yard loss. A reverse to Bouman only gained one yard. Third and fifteen, yuck! Scifres hit Anthony again but only for seven yards, leaving us well short. Patrick Sams gets the call again, this time on a forty-three yard field goal and...wide right! Purdue 20-0 still. THe Spartans moved twenty-five yards on five plays to the 50 and a first down. A defensive hold cost us ten and another first. They completed a pass for thirty over our D and it is first and ten at our 10 with 0:54 to play. The first pass fell incomplete, second down with 0:48 to go. A corner blitz on second down forced a bad throw, another incompletion, now with just 0:42 to play. The Spartans caught us off guard with a screen for a touchdown, Purdue 20-7. We made plans to run out the clock but Mike Porcher brought the ball back to the 45 with 0:28 to play and all our timeouts. We got nowhere and Scifres had a jump ball picked to end the half.

[b]Week Eleven[/b] HALFTIME NUMBERS Purdue-20 Scifres, QB- 17/28, 218 yards, 2 tds, 1 int Bryant, RB- 16 carries, 63 yards Douglas, WR- 2 catches, 53 yards Bouman, WR- 3 catches, 53 yards Sandoval, WR- 3 catches, 36 yards Anthony, WR- 3 catches, 35 yards Bryant, RB- 2 catches, 25 yards Harris, TE- 4 catches, 15 yards, 2 tds TOTAL YARDS: 278, 1 turnover Michigan State- 7 Buckley, QB- 10/18, 119 yards, 1 td Dupard, RB- 5 carries, 16 yards Blakley, RB- 3 carries, 5 yards Manning, WR- 4 catches, 60 yards Cheek, WR- 3 catches, 36 yards Dupard, RB- 2 catches, 15 yards, 1 td Tucker, TE- 1 catch, 8 yards TOTAL YARDS: 144, 1 turnover

[b]Week Eleven[/b] The Spartans started their drive at their 41 after more special teams snafus. The Spartans started with a fourteen yard completion to Manning to cross the 50. We finally stalled their offense at our 29 and forced the field goal attempt...good. Purdue 20-10. We got stuffed on first down, loss of two. Incomplete on second down and we've got yet another third and long. Gautt called for a deep pass from upstairs and I waited and hoped. Scifres lofted a deep ball down the near sideline that looked overthrown...but Tyler Bouman came from out of nowhere to make a brilliant grab before stepping out. Gain of forty-three yards! First and ten at the MSU 39! Gautt thought he had the MSU defense read so he called for a screen pass against what he thought was a sure blitz and...he was right! Bryant rolled, with blockers, thirty-eight yards down field until he was shoved out. First and goal at the 1. First down we ran a QB sneak...no gain. On the second play we handed to McNair, our back-up runner...no gain. Third down brought a passing opportunity for Scifres and...touchdown to Sandoval! Purdue 27-10. We finally got good special teams coverage and dropped the return man at his own 14. So far, the Spartans have passed twenty-one times to just twelve runs. We decided to put out a pass defense twice as often as usual to see if we can force them to use the ground. They ran on first down against the nickel package for three but we kept them out there and forced two straight incomplete passes. Porcher returned a deep punt back to our 37 for first and ten. After a short run, Scifres went with a deep play-action and...interception! MSU takes over at our 40. We read their first play perfectly, a screen that gained just one yard. Their back ran for nine on second down though and they got a new set of downs at our 30. Their back gained eight on first down and we started wondering whether we really did want them to run. On second down we got a small sack, leaving the Spartans with third and five on our 25. Our defense held and forced a bad throw. Field goal time again. Their kicker knocked in the forty-three yarder, Purdue 27-13 and MSU just won't go away. Mike Porcher returned the kick-off to our 26 and we need something big to happen. We decided to run up the middle to set-up a play-action on second down. Bryant got the ball, slid past the blitz and...PAST EVERYBODY! Bryant took off down the middle of the field into a footrace with the MSU safeties...20...15...10...TOUCHDOWN!!! Purdue 34-13 on the seventy-four yard sprint. MSU's return team brought the ball back to the 36 and Patrick Sams, our freakin' kicker, picked up a bad fifteen yard facemask! First and ten for the Spartans at our 49 and Sams continues to work his way onto my bad side. Michigan State took two runs for fourteen yards and now we've decided to switch back to our traditional defensive style. We stopped their run on first for nothing but bit on a play-action on second for a long score. Purdue 34-20. A touchback put us at our 20. Bryant ran for two and then for four, making it third and four at our 26. Scifres hit Sandoval on a post for nine...first down at the 35. A first down play-action got Bouman wide open on a post route for seventeen but the ball squirted loose, FUMBLE! Michael Scifres, in true team leader fashion was hustling down field after the pass, and recovered it, a miracle! First and ten after the scare at the Spartans' 48. Bryant loses three on the run to end the quarter.

[b]Week Eleven[/b] Second and thirteen from our own 49 to start the fourth. Scifres can't connect with a receiver on second or third down and we're stuck punting. The only good news is that maybe we'll pin them deep. But the Spartans had other ideas and their return man, A.J. Manning broke back on the return for a score! Purdue 34-27 and momentum has completely turned as the Spartans continue to claw back. We start on our 20 after another touchback. A draw to Bryant goes for a lot of yards, twenty-two before he is caught and dragged down on what turns out to be a five yard facemask. First and ten at our 47 and maybe I was wrong about the momentum. Scifres gained three on a sneak to put the ball at the 50. Again, Coach Gautt read blitz and called a screen, this one for a ten yard gain to the 40. Bryant took the next two carries on sweeps for a total of three yards to the MSU 37. Third and a long seven to go. Scifres drops back and spots Harris on a middle route for a big gain, twenty-three yards to the MSU 14. After a run for nothing, Scifres hit Bouman for five to the 9. Scifres threw incomplete on third and I sent Sams out hoping to go up by two scores. This time he hit the field goal, really just a chip shot, to make it Purdue 37-27. We got good kick-off coverage after the ass-chewing I gave the special teams and stopped the Spartans at their 15. They began with a long pass for thirty-five to move immediately up to the 50 with less than ten minutes to play. The Spartans threw deep but incomplete thanks to tight coverage. Their line collapsed on second down and gave up a two yard sack moving them back to their 48. Third and twelve, big play for both teams. We forced an incompletion and John Smith and company had no choice but to punt. The ball just rolled into the endzone for a touchback and we take over with 8:22 to play. Bryant ran up the middle, hit the hole, and accelerated for eighteen. We tried another reverse but lost three on first down. Bryant recovered two of those on second down and left us a long third and eleven. A play-action freed up Tyler Bouman who made a big fifteen yard catch. Seth Harris is still on the sideline with an injury so we've lost our sure hands guy. That leaves me Bouman and Sandoval after Douglas went down earlier, the rest of our receivers are deep depth chart guys. Bryant took a sweep from their 48 up to the 35 for a first down with just 6:29 to go. Another perfectly timed screen beat a blitz, now for eleven and a first at the 24. Bryant and Battaglia went nowhere on back-to-back carries, third and long yet again. We went conservative, throwing a short pass to Sandoval to set-up an important field goal. He made the catch for five to the MSU 19. I sent Sams out and in the pit of my stomach I got a bad feeling...but he hit it, Purdue 40-27. Michigan State fumbled the kick return at their 35, had it roll back to the 32 but they recovered it with 4:13 left. A delay of game moved them back five more to the 27. The Spartans threw incomplete on a screen to bring up second down. All of a sudden though, against our deep zone, A.J. Manning broke free deep, caught the ball in stride and took off for seventy-three yards and seven points, Purdue 40-34. We start at our 20 with 3:29 to go and a six point lead. Bryant runs for eight yards to the outside and tops two hundred rushing yards. We ran for no gain on second down, bringing up an important third down play. Their D was ready though and stopped Bryant for nothing again and we have to punt from our 28 with 2:09 to play. MSU starts out at their own 35 with less than two minutes to go. We send a middle blitz and MSU is passing...before Darrell Schey can get their though they get the pass off. The ball comes out slow and wobbly and our linebacker Kevin Barwegen is all over it...INTERCEPTION at the MSU 41!!! Bryant gained one yard to move us to the 40 and the clock down to 1:17. He gained six on second down but a tripping call nulled it and moved us back. Second and twenty-four at our 45. A screen pass went for three and no more as the clock runs down to 0:42. Third down and twenty-one at our 48. Scifres took the snap and caught a glimpse of Tony Foster running free in the secondary...he stepped into the throw...the secondary reacts...but Foster comes up with it, twenty-four yard gain, first down! 0:36 to play, first and ten at the MSU 28. Bryant runs for one and MSU calls their first timeout. Battaglia gains nothing and MSU uses another. 0:14 to go, third and nine at the MSU 27. Bryant gains one and MSU takes their last timeout with 0:06 to play. We decide to try to run it all out on a fourth down sweep...and we do! GAME OVER!!! Purdue 40-34 pulling off a big upset!

[b]Week Eleven[/b] FINAL NUMBERS Purdue- 40 Scifres, QB- 30/47, 424 yards, 3 tds, 2 ints Bryant, RB- 34 carries, 209 yards, 1 td Bouman, WR- 7 catches, 133 yards Bryant, RB- 6 catches, 88 yards Sandoval, WR- 6 catches, 53 yards, 1 td Douglas, WR- 2 catches, 53 yards Harris, TE- 5 catches, 38 yards, 2 tds Anthony, WR- 3 catches, 35 yards Foster, WR- 1 catch, 24 yards TOTAL YARDS: 629, 2 turnovers Michigan State- 34 Buckey, QB- 16/32, 283 yards, 3 tds, 1 int Dupard, RB- 9 carries, 42 yards Blakley, RB- 7 carries, 19 yards Manning, WR- 6 catches, 147 yards, 1 td Cheek, WR- 5 catches, 106 yards, 1 td Dupard, RB- 3 catches, 16 yards, 1 td Tucker, WR- 2 catches, 14 yards TOTAL YARDS: 347, 2 turnovers

[b]Week Eleven[/b] PRESS CONFERENCE Vest- I stood there on the sideline and felt like I was in the Twilight Zone; it became week 10 all over again. I kept waiting for MSU to get the big pass at the end but our defense proved that they learned from last week's mistakes. What a tremendous game and finish, although we should never have let them back into the game. We'll take the upset though, this gives us a 7-3 record with just Indiana to go. Media- You have two weeks off, how will your team spend them? Vest- We'll take the next two days off and then get right back at it. We'll then give the kids next Sunday and Monday off. My goal is to have a full-out scrimmage this coming Saturday so that we don't get complacent. The following Saturday will be a day for watching film and live games. Media- Ken Trapp had some legal trouble, any comment? Vest- It is being dealt with currently, that is all I will say about it. Media- Correll Bryant had a great game, is the starting spot officially his going into next season? Vest- Yes, definitely so, he has been a huge boost to our offense during Trapp's struggles. Another young man that can look for more playing time is Tyler Bouman who, no matter how hard we may try, we can't seem to keep him off the field. Look out for that duo. Media- Your team will likely finish 8-3, is this enough for you to keep your job? Vest- I would like to think so but right now, we're 7-3, not 8-3. We have one, hopefully two, more games to win and then I'll start to think about that. We're ranked 22'nd which is a bit of a disappointment after the upset but maybe the next couple weeks we can get some upsets and find our ways up the polls before the IU game. See you in a couple weeks gentlemen.

Archived