WWE vs. TNA discussion thread #5,127,281.

fusionfreak

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Self" data-cite="Self" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31291" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> It really hurts me when I hear someone bitch about how a TNA PPV sucks because they're not pushing the X-Division, when for just $15 (less than a TNA PPV costs) they could watch a Dragon Gate USA iPPV, which is pretty much 100% X-Division style cruiserweight stuff.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> To be fair though, the indies suffer from two big problems when it comes to attracting TNA/WWE fans: Lack of mainstream wrestling names and production values, and a lack of visibility. The former seriously hurts the willingness of a mainstream wrestling fan to turn to the indies for his wrestling fix, while the latter hurts their ability to do so, as well as their knowledge of said indies and their ability to follow the storylines.</p>

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Hashasheen" data-cite="Hashasheen" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31291" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>To be fair though, the indies suffer from two big problems when it comes to attracting TNA/WWE fans: Lack of mainstream wrestling names and production values, and a lack of visibility. The former seriously hurts the willingness of a mainstream wrestling fan to turn to the indies for his wrestling fix, while the latter hurts their ability to do so, as well as their knowledge of said indies and their ability to follow the storylines.</div></blockquote><p> I agree only in a part. The lack of production values isn't that bad. The real issue is the lack of big stars and lack of visibility. You can have the most well produced show in the world, but if you have no stars and have no visibility, it means nothing. ECW had terrible production values, but they, at times, had stars and a fairly good visibility. </p><p> </p><p> When you don't have wrestlers that fans care about, and if you are easy to find in the first place, non-fans couldn't be bothered.</p>

Part of that is a reply to someone who said that WWE is more mature because of the G rating. I forgot who made the post on that originally. I should have quoted but it was a long reply to my first post I think.

Anyway, thanks for making my point. I'm not watching the stuff. As I said, I haven't watched WWE since 2007. Every now and then I read ewrestlingnews.com to see if anything has changed because I don't see WWE worth the time to find out. I didn't know it was suspose to be a variety show. When did they start having live bands, stand up comedians, a juggler, a guy to put swords down his throat and animals that do tricks. (I know, at wrestlemania live bands show up and a juggler might be a gimmick but it's not intended to be a talented, real juggler.)

The main point of this thread is that I don't understand why WWE has become so child like. Especially with ratings dropping so much. I understand ratings were good in the 90's and up to 2004 or 2005 (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm just trying to get an idea of how many folks here feel similar I do. It seems like a lot more than I thought.

I'm the one that said they grew up. I didn't mean any of the stuff you said though, so I didn't realise I was the one that got you going in the intellectual thing, or whatever.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. Ok, I'm in my mid 40's, been watching wrestling since well.... Late 60's early 70's off and on, and got into it pretty big right before Wrestlemania 1... which I had no idea would happen again at the time. I did go to Wrestlemania 1. I've been on and off wrestling watcher all this time. That's my history, so you know, as far as wrestling goes.

There have been other's here that pointed out to you that the product we are watching now, is almost identicle to the product pre-attitude era. They are correct. Mad as Piper got in his pit, he never really swore. I'd say everyone got the message pretty good though, without him ever having to swear. The swearing isn't needed, and I feel it's juvenile, intended on getting juvenile viewer's. This isn't a bad thing, as that's bassically what a Wrestling company wants... however, they want up to age 38 as well. After you have kids, and "grow" up as a person (and everyone does at some point, in some way or another), there comes a time when your particular about what you watch with your kids, and even with your parents. The example I gave was a movie called Porkies when I was a teenager. I loved it, but I don't think I could have enjoyed it half as much if my parents were sitting beside me while I watched it.

This isn't an Intelligence thing to me, but a mature issue. I loved The Rock, Austin, etc. I'm not putting any of that down. I'm just saying that to me the WWE has no reason to swear, put girls in jello match's, or whatever. These things don't have to happen to make someone successfull. How many kids actually want the CD that say's "Parental Guidance suggested"? On the other hand, which one are they going to play in front of their parents, or which one would their Parents buy?

I really can't think of anything else off the top of my head to get the actual point I want to make accross, but I really just want you to know that I'm not putting down the WWF Attitude days, nor am I even considering TNA or any other promotion one bit when talking about the "PG" Era of WWE. I'm solely talking about WWE and my opinion on it. Please don't be offended, as no offence is meant.

I can't stand TNA/Impact Wrestling me and my friends have always said that we want to like them but they make it impossible with what try to pass off as good wrestling or storylines. I tried to give TNA a chance when they moved their show to Monday Night but all they accomplished was getting me to watch WWE Raw because of their constant mentioning of it. I was really excited when TNA moved their show to Mondays because I thought here is a chance to relive the nineties and the greatness of The origional Monday Night War. However TNA quickly gave up because they knew that they didn't stand a chance against WWE on Mondays. Granted it was probably a good thing they moved otherwise we might not be having this conversation right now.

WWE isn't by all means perfect but its alot better than TNA in my opinion and I will continue to watch WWE and disregard TNA until they do something orgional.

Also in my opinion TNA really does a great job disrepecting their fans by giving them crap storylines and matches (granted some are good) and trying to pass it off as something that has been done before. Granted in an industry where everything nowadays is recycled at least WWE tries to be origonal while TNA really doesn't seem to care.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="djthefunkchris" data-cite="djthefunkchris" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31291" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm the one that said they grew up. I didn't mean any of the stuff you said though, so I didn't realise I was the one that got you going in the intellectual thing, or whatever.<p> </p><p> Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. Ok, I'm in my mid 40's, been watching wrestling since well.... Late 60's early 70's off and on, and got into it pretty big right before Wrestlemania 1... which I had no idea would happen again at the time. I did go to Wrestlemania 1. I've been on and off wrestling watcher all this time. That's my history, so you know, as far as wrestling goes.</p><p> </p><p> There have been other's here that pointed out to you that the product we are watching now, is almost identicle to the product pre-attitude era. They are correct. Mad as Piper got in his pit, he never really swore. I'd say everyone got the message pretty good though, without him ever having to swear. The swearing isn't needed, and I feel it's juvenile, intended on getting juvenile viewer's. This isn't a bad thing, as that's bassically what a Wrestling company wants... however, they want up to age 38 as well. After you have kids, and "grow" up as a person (and everyone does at some point, in some way or another), there comes a time when your particular about what you watch with your kids, and even with your parents. The example I gave was a movie called Porkies when I was a teenager. I loved it, but I don't think I could have enjoyed it half as much if my parents were sitting beside me while I watched it.</p><p> </p><p> This isn't an Intelligence thing to me, but a mature issue. I loved The Rock, Austin, etc. I'm not putting any of that down. I'm just saying that to me the WWE has no reason to swear, put girls in jello match's, or whatever. These things don't have to happen to make someone successfull. How many kids actually want the CD that say's "Parental Guidance suggested"? On the other hand, which one are they going to play in front of their parents, or which one would their Parents buy? </p><p> </p><p> I really can't think of anything else off the top of my head to get the actual point I want to make accross, but I really just want you to know that I'm not putting down the WWF Attitude days, nor am I even considering TNA or any other promotion one bit when talking about the "PG" Era of WWE. I'm solely talking about WWE and my opinion on it. Please don't be offended, as no offence is meant.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Well, I tend to associate maturity with intellegence and wisdom. I know its all 3 different things but usually they accompany each other.</p><p> </p><p> No, I totally understood what you were saying and I was never offended. I just don't think that a person liking the additude era over the current product has anything to do with maturity, intellegence or wisdom. I also think wrestling should never be associated with intellegence, wisdom or maturity. Really, I'd never want my kids to be influenced at all from wrestling; pre-additude or current product or any era. For most adults though, it takes a little more than the current product to entertain and I mean nothing bad by that either. I also understand not wanting kids younger than 10, 11 or 12 to watch additude era type wrestling. For me though, If it's marketed for kids then it offers me nothing. I'm not saying that TNA is much better for adults but it is a little. I just really feel like I don't have any great option. I could watch other promotions online I guess but it seems to be to much trouble to do that. I'd like to see a massive DVD set that shows every Raw, Smackdown, Nitro and Thunder from 1990 to 2005 and have the PPV's for people like me who missed the whole additude era and the Monday night wars. I know that would be huge and probably expensive to buy. Maybe if it was sold on a year by year basis. I realize it will never happen but I'd watch it way before I'd watch the current product.</p><p> </p><p> I'm sad because I missed a lot of wrestling history and a product that I'd actually like. LOL.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="fusionfreak" data-cite="fusionfreak" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31291" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Well, I tend to associate maturity with intellegence and wisdom. I know its all 3 different things but usually they accompany each other.<p> </p><p> No, I totally understood what you were saying and I was never offended. I just don't think that a person liking the additude era over the current product has anything to do with maturity, intellegence or wisdom. I also think wrestling should never be associated with intellegence, wisdom or maturity. Really, I'd never want my kids to be influenced at all from wrestling; pre-additude or current product or any era. For most adults though, it takes a little more than the current product to entertain and I mean nothing bad by that either. I also understand not wanting kids younger than 10, 11 or 12 to watch additude era type wrestling. For me though, If it's marketed for kids then it offers me nothing. I'm not saying that TNA is much better for adults but it is a little. I just really feel like I don't have any great option. I could watch other promotions online I guess but it seems to be to much trouble to do that. I'd like to see a massive DVD set that shows every Raw, Smackdown, Nitro and Thunder from 1990 to 2005 and have the PPV's for people like me who missed the whole additude era and the Monday night wars. I know that would be huge and probably expensive to buy. Maybe if it was sold on a year by year basis. I realize it will never happen but I'd watch it way before I'd watch the current product.</p><p> </p><p> I'm sad because I missed a lot of wrestling history and a product that I'd actually like. LOL.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I wish they would release the Attitude era in a dvd/blu ray collection. However if they do this someday I think most people who watch and compare will realise they had a lot of low points back then as well.</p>

Archived