Is this game meant to be fun?

Just tried out the Wrestling Spirit 2 demo and feel that I may be missing something. Is this game supposed to be frustrating? Seriously, is that the goal of this game? I've tried it with various wrestlers with varying talents and in each match all I can do are the most basic moves. If I try any other moves (beyond forearm strike, headbutt, punch, etc) I am countered regardless of my momentum or how tired my opponent is. In one match my opponent was in danger, with 0% energy, and almost no momentum. I had 40% of my energy, medium overall energy and full momentum. However, I still couldn't hit anything beyond basic strikes, otherwise I would be countered, and eventually my basic strikes got countered too. I lost the match with high momentum and 25% of my energy, because my opponent hit his finisher. My skills were far superior to that of my opponent's, so why would this make sense and what is the point of this game?

Everything in the game is entirely based on probability and mathematics; it can be frustrating if luck is against you, but statistically speaking it should always even out over the long run.

From the sound of things you've experienced a combination of a run of bad luck in your first few goes and haven't read the accompanying help file (that's just a guess given that you never mentioned the frequency of the moves you were attempting, just the momentum and energy, so one of the basic concepts of the game is being ignored) which would mean you're probably guessing as to what moves to use rather than playing to your strengths.

As you can see from reading any of the diaries written using the game, once you understand how the game works you can win, and have back-and-forth battles.

I've determined that this game hates me! I've reread the instructions and just CANNOT win a single match. The last one I played I could not hit any move with less than a 62% frequency rate. However, I forearm struck my way to an 18% energy advantage at the end (when my opponent was at 0%) and full momentum when his was poor. Finishing him off proved impossible since I could never execute a finisher without being blocked or countered. Luckily for my opponent, his first attempt at his finisher was successful. Good for him. I don't know if I'm addicted to this game or the anger it produces in me, but despite 10 vows to never play another match I keep picking it back up.

Aside from 'cheating' and making yourself unbeatable (See my "fastest matches" topic)...

I pound the hell out of the other guy. If I'm looking for a win (i.e. not a fast match or crazily exciting), I might only do "Low" moves until he's in range for "High" moves. Then I move on to "Medium".

If he's in 'Danger' status (or 'Vulnerable'...might need to check that), then some 'Medium' moves like a DDT can lead to a 10% pin attempt. I go for it. Since match rating is mechanically useless, those 10% chances are fantastic.

They can't reverse a pin. If they kickout, fine, I DDT them again. And pin. If they kickout, I DDT them again. Etc.

If they're dead and my momentum is awesome, sure I'll try a finisher. And when I don't stick to my plan, I'll spam my finisher until it hits.

*shrug*

I have streaks of easy wins, and streaks of crappy losses.

• 3 weeks later...

Biggest problem with this game is it's unpredictability. I just gave up on my second save, because my guy can't raise some of his stats over 39%. It really frustrates me. There should be a save game editor or something to get rid of these stupid restrictions. I love to spend my time on this game, carefully planning my finances, just to find out that my guy can only have really low stats.

I have to start all over again and hope that this time, there won't be these limitations. First save got scrapped out of weirdness of the DOTT-mod. In my game, wrestlemania 3 was seen by about 4000 fans live. It just became too unrealistic, since all the top guys (Hogan, Flair etc.) were in Japan and their shows drew 70,000 fans, while nothing happened in the US.

Now, that I did some database editing (love those tools) and created a new wrestler, I find out that he's a midcarder for life. Feel so frustrated, had some great moments in the first save (tag match with my guy and Lou Thesz vs. Andre & Greg Valentine), but now, starting over again, I just think I'll give up.

Is there a way to edit saved games, so I don't have to start over AGAIN?

Well, there's no such thing as a "midcarder for life" as popularity can't be capped, only stats, so it really depends on what you're trying to edit. I can consider manually altering stats caps if there's a specific long term game you don't want to abandon.

Archived