J. Cole's "Disgusting" - After Listening To It A Couple Of Times

Killagy

Don't know if many of you have heard of him, but J. Cole is basically an up & coming artist under the tutelage of Jay-Z. He recently leaked this song titled "Disgusting" which turned a few heads and raised a few eyebrows, most not getting what exact route he was planning to go from it.

To hardcore fans who followed Cole from day one, this material was WAY below par, not even up to J. Cole's usual quality standards, and took it as a sign of him turning "Commercial" or becoming more "Mainstream" if you will.

But after listening to the song a couple of times, I mean, REALLY listening to it, and looking up his twitter updates prior to the leaking of the track, I have came to the conclusion: The whole song is sarcastic...its obviously a diss track.

"Hey, Oh NO Not another line about how life’s a ***** Well **** the world and enjoy it"

"Yeah they talk but they don’t know nothing ***** eat a dick we the **** no flushing ***** that’s disgusting, that’s disgusting, What is you discussing?"

He's mocking mainstream.... literally saying they know nothing, then going into a line that someone like Lil' Wayne would spit then asking the listeners why they like it.

"'Nuff of that bull**** cake rap With your childlike scriptures

I’m busting off ***** take that!

Don’t let the limelight get ya.

The hood said we ****** with you, Cole say.

And we gon’ ride right wit ya.

Yeah we know you got college degrees.

But we got prior’s like Richard"

Cole went to college and excelled in the classroom, emphasizes it in many of his songs. He's dissing rappers who brag about their crimes, especially the ones who are "industry G's".

"Need a barrage

Of freaky broads, to keep me hard

Like 3 Nicki Minaj’s, flow completely retarded

So I’m deeply regarded as one of the gods

And yes her *** clappin so that a round of applause

I guess."

Making fun of Nikki Minaj's different personas, implying she only hears applause because of her sex appeal, not her music.

If you follow @jcolenc on twitter...you would see he described this song as "rude and disrespectful" and claimed it is not a single, just before he leaked it.

Everything about this song is sarcastic, his voice and the lyrics, I think he is just playing around with the beat, but the lyrics and tone are 100% sarcasm...

Mainstream is disgusting, why we discussing it?

There is a problem with ironic tracks, as with anything ironic, and that is that nobody can ever be sure if you're serious or not, unless it's totally typical for you.

It's a gamble to release something that's purposefully toned down for the sake of making fun of noobs, so while I can see your point I'm not particularly sorry that they're taking it the wrong way either. Sometimes the dice come up snake eyes and you just gotta deal with it when it happens.

I thibk a lot of the backlash about his sarcasm against mainstream is because there are a LOT of fans of mainstream.

I like what I like, what right does some fool have to say someone is a sellout because they give their fans something they like?

I mean that's my take on it.

I like a wide verity of stuff, but I don't care for a lot of rap/hip hop because of the language, but I'm not going to put down those that do, nor would I agree with another artist that puts them down.

Just because this guys been in prison for murder, or this guys been shot five times doesn't make them a better rapper than the guy who was smart enough to pay attention in school.

From what I gather about this guy he was a good student in school, always had better than average grades in school. The problem is he's putting done a genre of music that many people like, including some of his own fans.

Alienating fans or other artists for the sake of money (because that's what it comes down too) will not get you very far.

Just my opinion.

I thibk a lot of the backlash about his sarcasm against mainstream is because there are a LOT of fans of mainstream.

I like what I like, what right does some fool have to say someone is a sellout because they give their fans something they like?

I mean that's my take on it.

I like a wide verity of stuff, but I don't care for a lot of rap/hip hop because of the language, but I'm not going to put down those that do, nor would I agree with another artist that puts them down.

Just because this guys been in prison for murder, or this guys been shot five times doesn't make them a better rapper than the guy who was smart enough to pay attention in school.

From what I gather about this guy he was a good student in school, always had better than average grades in school. The problem is he's putting done a genre of music that many people like, including some of his own fans.

Alienating fans or other artists for the sake of money (because that's what it comes down too) will not get you very far.

Just my opinion.

The problem isn't necessarily with the artist. Mainstream = pop = inane and formulaic, there's no denying that. The problem is, most artists who aren't established are often forced to record at least one track "for radio", regardless of genre. Want examples? Pink's first album. Sound anything like the ones after it? Once you've established yourself, you have more freedom to do what you want. Unless you're with a label that doesn't need radio airplay to move units (and there are very few of those around).

There will always be a backlash against what "everyone" likes (read: mainstream). And your last line is refuted by history. Beefs sell records. All the way back to UTFO and Roxanne to the present, beefs move units. If they didn't, no one would still be starting them. :) Well, not in all genres. Ask the Dixie Chicks.

My opinion is refuted by history? :eek:

Again that was MY opinion..

I've never understood the problem with mainstream. There is a lot I don't like, but whatever you like is your opinion not mine.

Now if you are talking about the line before that...still my opinion. I dislike a lot of music. I have a hard time listening to music about drugs. (mentioned in many many songs over most genres), nor do I like songs where females are nothing but whores and bitches.

Now my comment about putting down fans. That's my point. Most of your musicians do this coz it's cool, unless they really do hate females. You tell e? They do it to sell albums. They aren't giving them away for free so they do it for the money.

Again you can argue back with whatever, but this is MY opinion on how I feel about a lot of music in general from the mainstream to the underground stuff.

[snip] Well, not in all genres. Ask the Dixie Chicks.

That's because their "beef" was with a president who was very popular with the same demographic that listens to country music. And the Dixie Chicks were... like... country musicians. Sorta. Pop-country.

My opinion is refuted by history? :eek:

Again that was MY opinion..

I've never understood the problem with mainstream. There is a lot I don't like, but whatever you like is your opinion not mine.

Now if you are talking about the line before that...still my opinion. I dislike a lot of music. I have a hard time listening to music about drugs. (mentioned in many many songs over most genres), nor do I like songs where females are nothing but whores and bitches.

Now my comment about putting down fans. That's my point. Most of your musicians do this coz it's cool, unless they really do hate females. You tell e? They do it to sell albums. They aren't giving them away for free so they do it for the money.

Again you can argue back with whatever, but this is MY opinion on how I feel about a lot of music in general from the mainstream to the underground stuff.

It's because "mainstream" is perceived to lack genuine qualities. For instance, I have a concept for an album. I'm not much of a songwriter and I don't have a band, but here's the concept: I sing about stuff that makes me happy and being happy. Not weird twee stuff, but for instance I have one song that I work on from time to time about how I wish I could learn to surf. It's a weird concept that I'm not sure would ever really interest anyone to speak of, but wanting to surf is something that I think about a lot. Everyone is not the same, deep down. They have similar elements, but to try to be accessible to everyone means that you don't bring up your desire to surf despite hating going outside, or for a song that's not just in my head, blowing your brains out so you never have to be burdened by other peoples' problems.

Some people don't want to surf, and don't think about suicide. Those people aren't going to "get" those songs. A lot of people really into music, I understand, do drugs, and that's why it's a common subject. I don't do drugs personally, and I don't get it when it's the subject of a song, same as you.

But it's also nice to see into people's worlds. For instance, one album I've heard is just a baker's dozen songs about the singer's relationship with his abusive step-father. I can't sympathize with abusive parents. I don't know that I've ever met one. But it gives me a sort of window into the life of someone. But it'd be darn hard to get that album by the suits because most people really don't know what abuse is like, and can't sympathize, like I can't sympathize.

I'm not putting the music down or saying it's irrelevant. I personally don't like it. :)

Dixie Chicks are crappy plain and simple. Never liked them never will. Just my opinion again. :)

It baffles my mind to listen to some music and go, REALLY? What was this person thinking when they wrote this or agreed to sing it?

I understand drugs are out there and they are more common then most people think, but personally I don't want to listen to it.

With that I'm done hijacking the thread. :)

Archived