converting png to gif

Damn. I have Ifranview but have always used Gimp for this. How does it work in Ifranview? It doesn't seem to include transparancy?

In Gimp:

Use 'positioned' when converting to indexed for the least amount of quality loss. Renders are 'decent' then.

Damn. I have Ifranview but have always used Gimp for this. How does it work in Ifranview? It doesn't seem to include transparancy?

In Gimp:

Use 'positioned' when converting to indexed for the least amount of quality loss. Renders are 'decent' then.

Thanks, I have gimp. How do I do 'positioned'? I don't even know what that means. I tried to open it up with gimp and then save as gif but I lose alot of quality.

Thanks.

Thanks, I have gimp. How do I do 'positioned'? I don't even know what that means. I tried to open it up with gimp and then save as gif but I lose alot of quality.

Thanks.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I need step by step instructions on how to do it. Think png to gif conversion for dummies or complete idiots.

LoL.

Thanks.

The actual renderers can probably explain this WAY more, but for simple gif-conversion with transparant background you go:

Image -> Mode -> Indexed. Then, on the screen that appears when indexing, you select the 'positioned' for the color dithering.

This should convert them at reasonable quality. Though there must be a better way somewhere, I suppose.

Guest Asaemon

I'm using Paint.NET and i don't have a problem converting most pictures to .gif. I think the ones i have some problem with are probably made in Poser instead of in Daz, and might have to do with the background color the picture are rendered in.

What i usually do is to use the AAs Assistant (in Effect meny -> Object) with default values.

Then select save as .gif and maximize Dithering level and Transparency treshold before clicking ok.

This work alright for most pictures and you get rid of the ugly white marks around the picture.

On tougher ones with more hair hanging all over the place like Jake Humphreys i'll start by use the Outline object (in Effect meny -> Object). Outline color black, strength 2 and radius 2 for example. Then i'll continue with AAs Assistant and the rest. I will loose some detail, but the picture still looks ok and i'll get rid of the ugly white marks.

Since i've added a lot of effects to my program i'm not sure if all the above effects are in the software from the beginning or if it needs to be added manually. But both the software and effects are free to download.

I'm using Paint.NET and i don't have a problem converting most pictures to .gif. I think the ones i have some problem with are probably made in Poser instead of in Daz, and might have to do with the background color the picture are rendered in.

What i usually do is to use the AAs Assistant (in Effect meny -> Object) with default values.

Then select save as .gif and maximize Dithering level and Transparency treshold before clicking ok.

This work alright for most pictures and you get rid of the ugly white marks around the picture.

On tougher ones with more hair hanging all over the place like Jake Humphreys i'll start by use the Outline object (in Effect meny -> Object). Outline color black, strength 2 and radius 2 for example. Then i'll continue with AAs Assistant and the rest. I will loose some detail, but the picture still looks ok and i'll get rid of the ugly white marks.

Since i've added a lot of effects to my program i'm not sure if all the above effects are in the software from the beginning or if it needs to be added manually. But both the software and effects are free to download.

I use paint.net for pretty much everything. Has a great chromakey plug-in you can download too.

The actual renderers can probably explain this WAY more, but for simple gif-conversion with transparant background you go:

Image -> Mode -> Indexed. Then, on the screen that appears when indexing, you select the 'positioned' for the color dithering.

This should convert them at reasonable quality. Though there must be a better way somewhere, I suppose.

Thanks, this helped and it's easy.

Technically it's not actually possible to convert from PNG to GIF "without losing the picture quality". (Well, you could, but your image would have to be very simple.) Reason being that gif only does a maximum of 256 colors and it doesn't support partial transparency (transparency is either "off" or "on", nothing in between).

That doesn't really help solve anything I know, but I felt it my duty to clarify that anyway, just in case you were wondering why no matter what you do it still may not look as good as your original picture. It's just an inherent part of the GIF technology :/

Archived