Names Mod

I am doing a names mod in case anybody is interested in having different names in the game. I am going to get rid of some of the names that are more or less repeats (Fergerson, Ferguson) and some that should be one-use-only names (Biakabutuka, Fuamatu-Ma'afala). Most of the hyphenated names will be removed as will others that just somehow rub me the wrong way (Arlie,:D Bobbie, DeAndrew, DeLawrence, DeQuincy, etc.). (No offense to anybody with those names). In the place of those names I will adding others that will make the pool of names more ethnically diverse and interesting. I am planning to add more African, Asian, Hispanic, and “Ethnic” names to the pool as well as what I call “flavor” names (Diesel, Crunch, X, etc.) So if you want to have a linebacker named Axel Crunch, a QB named Screech Martinez, or a kicker named Seven Costanza, stay tuned. I have pretty much decided on the names I am going to use but it is going to take me a day or so to change the database. I am also not sure where I will host the file when I finish it but that can be worked out later...

Sounds great! I would gladly take some different names instead of some of the same old names. In one of my seasons I landed a recruit that was a kicker and his name was Lyle Butkus. The only thing that I could think of was is he playing the wrong position or is he the son of Dick?

[QUOTE=Roger Kaputnik]I am doing a names mod in case anybody is interested in having different names in the game. I am going to get rid of some of the names that are more or less repeats (Fergerson, Ferguson) and some that should be one-use-only names (Biakabutuka, Fuamatu-Ma'afala).[/QUOTE] good idea! [QUOTE=Roger Kaputnik]Most of the hyphenated names will be removed as will others that just somehow rub me the wrong way (Arlie,:D Bobbie, DeAndrew, DeLawrence, DeQuincy, etc.). (No offense to anybody with those names). In the place of those names I will adding others that will make the pool of names more ethnically diverse and interesting. I am planning to add more African, Asian, Hispanic, and “Ethnic” names to the pool as well as what I call “flavor” names (Diesel, Crunch, X, etc.) So if you want to have a linebacker named Axel Crunch, a QB named Screech Martinez, or a kicker named Seven Costanza, stay tuned. I have pretty much decided on the names I am going to use but it is going to take me a day or so to change the database. I am also not sure where I will host the file when I finish it but that can be worked out later[/QUOTE] Bad Idea! I think I'm in this for realism and this isn't real... taking out names that rub you the wrong way is halfway retarded and having players named Axel Crunch and Screech Martinez is anything but cool... (just givin ya a hard time, dont mean to rub you the wrong way I just would really like a names database that aimed for realism)

Could you please explain how to add names? I found the empty (except for "Rahn") names file. Just add the names and frequencies in there? If that's what you do, do the names you add append to those already in the game, or do you have to start all over with a full pool of names and frequencies? Thanks.

Thanks for asking, but actually it's not. Either: (a) this can't be done w/o Access (which I don't have) until "player edit" is added to the game or, (b) I am too stupid to understand what people have told me to do. If you have anything to add, it would be appreciated.

This is what he sent me: "I play a lot of text sims and I've been working on a universal name generator for some time now. I have weighted lists of 1.1 million last names and 37,000 first names, and an algorithm that also generates middle initials, hyphenated surnames, and suffixes (Jr/III) in appropriate numbers. I need to get the GDS products (I just wandered in here today), figure out where the name lists are stored in the data files, and write a program that will create a new list each season from my much larger list. I did this for Arlie Rahn's 400 games TPF and TDCB and it worked like a charm."

Yes, I am working on a mod as I described in my private message to Roger. I'm waiting for Version 1.1 before I purchase the game, though. I'm still playing with the demo. One negative note: IIRC in another thread it was pointed out that the player names are linked to values in a name table. In the player record, instead of FirstName = "Fred" it is FirstName = "11789" and then the game pulls first name #11789 from the First Names table. If so, this will be a major hindrance to name list modification. Altering the name list would alter the names of existing players, which of course I don't want. In TPF and TDCB, games, the name lists were used only for generation. Once the players were generated, the lists could edited to provide a set of new names for next year's class. I really hope it still works like that, or that the name list can be edited in some way that will affect future incoming players only. Does anyone know if the data structure is the same in the demo as in the purchased game?

Archived