Negatives of using smaller game world?

I'm trying to get into TEW, but as a complete newb to the series I am finding the sheer amount of data, companies, wrestlers, etc. in the default data overwhelming.

That being said, I'm thinking of playing a game with a limited amount of game regions turned on (probably just America/Canada).

Is there any negative from playing the game that way? Aside from less depth and some companies not being represented in game?

What happens to all wrestlers who normally fight in game regions you have turned off? Are they just all 'free agents' or do they just not appear in the game?

Anyway, I figure I'd give it a shot like that... Let me know if there's any specific benefits or negatives ...

I'm trying to get into TEW, but as a complete newb to the series I am finding the sheer amount of data, companies, wrestlers, etc. in the default data overwhelming.

That being said, I'm thinking of playing a game with a limited amount of game regions turned on (probably just America/Canada).

Is there any negative from playing the game that way? Aside from less depth and some companies not being represented in game?

What happens to all wrestlers who normally fight in game regions you have turned off? Are they just all 'free agents' or do they just not appear in the game?

Anyway, I figure I'd give it a shot like that... Let me know if there's any specific benefits or negatives ...

I have never played the game like that before, but I do believe that none of the fighters that are exclusive to a region will be in your game. Meaning that if a wrestler only fights in Japan, said worker will not be in your data if you click Japan off the regions you want in your save. However, if a wrestler is able to work in say Japan and the U.S. said worker will still be in your game.

Any companies based in areas outside the areas you have active will no longer exist in your save. Any workers who aren't set to be available in the areas you have active will also be removed when you start the game too. It'll have a knock on effect of some workers being available to you more often, for example a lot of workers will tour with Japanese promotions normally would no longer be able to do so. EDIT: A better way of phrasing things might be to say that if you have only the UK active then anyone who can be active in the UK will still be active in your game, but everyone else would be removed. This will free up some workers who are working on written deals elsewhere just now (Tommy Cornell, Dark Angel, Jack Giedroyc, who are pretty much the UK's top 3) but remove most of the gameworld. You can still run shows elsewhere and gain popularity there, there just won't be any active workers or promotions in those areas.

But broadly speaking, there probably aren't many benefits to removing game areas when you start up. Unless your computer is running the game extremely slowly then a potential speed boost is about the only benefit I can think of. For learning about the Cornellverse you're probably best jumping in headfirst rather than dippin a toe in. You can always filter to help you find approproate workers/promotions, but it's best to just poke around at everything at your own pace. It's easy to ignore things if you don't care about them, impossible to add them back into a game once you get going. :)

Yea, I would say a better approach if you're intimidated by the size of the game world is to keep all areas on, but play as a smaller promotion. Less shows to book, less guys to keep track of right off the bat, and you can watch the game world develop at a slower pace. You'll probably be hiring/replacing guys more frequently, so you can kind of get a feel for the game world from the bottom up.

ripwalk, I felt a bit like you. So I started over and pretty much did what MNCyGuy is saying...started a little local (typically only need 12 wrestlers) in a region with no direct competition (like Great Lakes), hired very cheap wrestlers and put on one show a month to get my footing. It has helped, I'm a small promo now still putting on some stinking shows :) think my high show rating is a 40. But honestly it has helped with learning to put together a good match, angles and a lot of the basics. Eidenhoek's "Let's Play NYCW 101" was a big help too (besides being one of the funniest learn to plays I've ever read). I didn't know you could jack ticket prices up right off without hurting attendance. He forgot to do it in his first show (lol) but mentioned to do it which I'd never seen anywhere on the forum. Those kind of easy things can really help when diving in.

Archived