Sorkin versus Villar - My WMMA 3 story

I have started a Fight League Brazil save game and am really enjoying it. One of the great things about the game is how the characters really come alive and you grow an attachement to them. I recently had a situation play out that I found really entertaining and I wanted to write a little story to go with it. Please feel free to leave comments and feedback, thanks!

----

Although Fight League Brazil had been consistently putting on top-notch shows amongst the best in the world, the burgeoning mixed martial arts organization had a big problem.

Their lightheavyweight champion and face of the organization, Affonso “Cyborg” Villar, was on his way out of the promotion. To the dismay of many Brazilian fans, Villar (25-2) hadn’t been able to come to terms with management on a new contract and it was widely reported that his title fight at FLB 24 in December 1998 would be his last with the organization.

The problem, of course, is the hit in credibility an up-and-coming organization would take if it wasn’t able to keep one of its champions signed. The problem is compounded even further when it’s a homegrown star like Villar, who calls Curitiba, Brazil his hometown.

There was certainly no reason to think Villar would be knocked off his lightheavyweight throne anytime soon, either. He had blasted through Roberto Aldez, Pedro Sousa and Carlos dos Santos in successive convincing title defences and was rated by Blurcat as the second-best lightheavyweight in the world, behind Zvonimir Asanovic of Alpha-1.

Villar’s opponent on this night would be the brash up-and-comer Toby “The Judoka Who’lll Choke Ya” Sorkin (6-0). Sorkin, known as much for his obnoxious attitude and trash talk as he is for his world class judo, had instantly made himself known to Brazilian fans upon signing with FLB.

“Fighting in America or fighting in Brazil, it makes no difference what country I’m in. Put a guy across the cage from me and I’ll beat his ass, simple as that,” Sorkin told Blurcat.com after signing on to fight in FLB. “They might speak a different language down there but my language is beating people up and choking them out until they black out and I think that’s pretty universal.”

Sorkin had backed up his trash talk. He used an arm triangle submission to beat Kleber Pereira in his organization debut and continued that momentum when he stopped Euclydes Filho and Nilton Fantoni in one night, to win the four-man tournament to determine the next title contender.

Despite the challenger's talents, Villar would no doubt be the favourite to win the fight and subsequently leave the FLB with the belt still strapped around his waist. In fact, he was listed as a big favourite by Vegas odds makers, at -340.

That certainly didn’t derail Sorkin’s confidence leading into the fight.

“All anyone can talk about is how big a problem it’s going to be when Villar leaves FLB with the title,” Sorkin said at the pre-fight press conference. “Well I’ve got news for you all, I’m not only going to take the title from him, but I’ll solve the FLB’s problem by putting such a big beating on Villar that he’ll never be relevant in any lightheavyweight division again.”

Villar, for his part, refused to discuss his contract situation leading into the fight and also wasn’t drawn into any pre-fight trash talk, simply choosing to do what he’s always done – do his talking in the cage.

The stage was set and in the early going the fight looked like all of Villar’s other bouts. The champion’s superior striking was giving him an edge while his strong base kept the challenger’s takedown attempts at bay.

Sorkin was tagged heavily twice in the first round with big flurries that sent him down to the mat. Villar pushed the pace looking for a finish, but Sorkin valiantly fought through and got to the end of the first round, albeit taking a lot of punishment along the way in what was likely a 10-8 round.

The second round started out the exactly the same way, as Villar landed a heavy

right that knocked Sorkin down. Instead of engaging Sorkin on the ground, Villar waved the challenger back to his feet. “Cyborg” smelled blood in the water. Sorkin quite simply couldn’t take him down and the champion was the far superior striker. It was only a matter of time until Villar scored the knockout.

But someone forgot to tell Toby Sorkin.

Although he had no luck scoring a takedown, Sorkin was able to get in close and perhaps unexpectedly, he pulled guard. While many MMA pundits would think pulling the bigger, stronger Villar on top of him where he could unleash vicious ground and pound would be a death wish, for Sorkin it was his only option and his route to becoming champion.

Just as quickly as Sorkin had pulled guard, he deftly wrapped his legs around the champion’s neck and sunk in a deep triangle that sent a gasp over the capacity crowd in Brazil and forced the seemingly invincible Villar to tap out, ending the fight and his tenure in FLB at the same time.

Sorkin, perhaps to prove a point, held onto the choke for an extra few seconds and had to be physically pulled off by the referee.

On the mic after the bout, the newly-crowned champion continued his verbal tirade against the now fallen Villar.

“I’ve got the belt and Affonso is out of a job, so while I keep bringing in the fame and fortune he can walk his ass out onto the unemployment line and hope there’s a promotion that wants a fighter who can’t even defend a basic submission.”

Of course, unlike Sorkin’s prediction, Villar is still very much relevant in the worldwide lightheavyweight division and will likely soon be signed to a lucrative new contract with either GAMMA or Alpha-1.

On the other hand, FLB has a new top dog anti-hero in Sorkin, who talks the talk and walks the walk.

“Who is going to beat me? There’s not a fighter in the world at 205 pounds that I can’t get to the ground and choke out,” Sorkin said.

While both of these fighters will no doubt go on to great success in their respective lives, it will be interesting to follow their career paths and, if MMA fans are lucky, hopefully one day see a rematch.

I'm planning diaries for all 3 game series'. I have one set for Rachel Noir, NYCW (and hopefully expand to each promotion after completing chapters), and the history of WMMA3 using a modified Default Redone database (still waiting on Bantam/Fly packs) which will start with GAMMA and go through the history until the present day and I'll go from there. Not to mention potential diaries for the 9000 database, WOTI and also a UFC diary which will monitor real events and go the same path which will make different twists and turns depending on who loses fights they actually win in real life, I'm really excited about that actually.

Just taking a lot of time to figure out what I want to do and stuff because I don't want it to fail and I have high interest in this, and I'm not just doing it so people will read it, I don't really mind either way. People have better things to do, its cool.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I don't think I'll be doing a diary as I like to move pretty quickly in my games and slowing down to write about it would slow things up. I just wanted to point out this one cool thing that happened in my game.

I've put Villar on my watch list though and am hoping to sign him back after a year or so ...

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I don't think I'll be doing a diary as I like to move pretty quickly in my games and slowing down to write about it would slow things up. I just wanted to point out this one cool thing that happened in my game.

I've put Villar on my watch list though and am hoping to sign him back after a year or so ...

You could always do something a little different than just show to show. Check out my latest diary attempt (I have a lot lol)

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514275

I'm two years in and just creating some dvd's and magazine articles to fill the reader in on what's going on in my diary. I just put up the first show, it not the greatest but it's based on the first year so there isn't much back story or history for the fighters yet.

Archived