Game won't launch

I just bought the game after playing around with the demo. The demo worked fine but the full version won't launch. I get an icon in my task bar but no window appears. When I hover my mouse over the icon it shows an eLicense icon with "Fastbreak College Basketball 1.0"

I also tried unzipping the v2229 patch into the install folder but that did not help. I would really like to play the game I just bought... :(

The first thing is make sure you are running the game as an administrator. If you right click on the game icon you should see the option. Then try is disabling any antivirus you have running when you try and open the game. Then try this:

1. Right-click on "My Computer"

2. Select "Properties"

3. Click on the "Advanced" Tab.

4. Click on the Performance "Settings" Button

5. Click on the "Data Execution Prevention" Tab

6. Verify that "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" is selected. If it is not, select that option and click "APPLY" and then try and run the game.

Note: Even if you see that option checked already, go ahead and uncheck and then recheck it to ensure that its activated!

7. If the problem persists, go back and select the other option "turn on DEP for all windows programs and services EXCEPT those I select" and ADD the following files:

"runservice.exe" Will be found in C:\Windows

"FBCB2010.exe" Normally found in C:\Program Files\GDS\Fast Break College Basketball 2010

9. Click APPLY then Reboot and then relaunch the game.

Thanks for the response. I tried 1-6 and the DEP option was already selected. I unselected and reselected it as indicated and restarted as directed. Same result.

I also tried alternative step 7 without any luck. The icon for the game appears in the taskbar but no window shows up. Odd since the demo worked for me.

I am using Windows 7 and I have tried installing it in the default directory as well as my standard games directory. I am running it as administrator. Any chance my registery is mucked up from having the demo and now this game installed in different locations? Can you tell me what registry settings need to be removed so I can make sure I have a completely clean machine before trying again?

Like I mentioned before, when I hover over the icon in the taskbar, it displays the "e" eLicense logo in the hover text. I'm guessing it's dying on the eLicense software check during the game initialization. Is there a way for me to register the software outside of the game so maybe it will see the license and move on to the next step? I have the license key but have not been able to enter it into the game yet.

Trend Micro and Windows Firewall. I tried turning both off but that didn't fix the problem. I am running a few Wolverine apps with no problems and I have Bowl Bound installed as well which I think uses eLicense. Is there a way to regiter the eLicense outside of FBCB? I noticed there is an eLicense icon in my control panel but 2x clicking it doesn't do anything.

To the best of my knowledge there isn't a way to register the game manually. I'll have to ask Scott if he's got any ideas on this and we might have to get in touch with Elicense. The Elicense control is broken on your computer but that is pretty common on Vista and W7. I do know of people who have had to actually uninstall their antivirus to get it to work. Have you changed the antivirus at all since the last time you installed an Elicense game?

According to Scott, we need to create an exception for both FBCB2010.exe and runservice.exe in the firewall. This can be true even if the firewall is disabled. He's had a lot of emails lately that were caused by Windows Firewall. There is information here about how to create the exception:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/542-windows-firewall-add-remove-exception.html

It also may be necessary to create exceptions in the antivirus software as well. Could you tell me what version/suite of the Trend Micro antivirus software you are using?

Antivirus:

Trend Micro Titanium

Version: 3.1.1109

Type: Full Version

I added c:\windows\runservice.exe and c:\games\GDS\Fast Break College Basketball 2010\FBCB2010.exe (where I installed the game) to both the Firewall and Antivirus Exception list and then deactivated both programs with no luck. I have tried installing it in the default path with no luck as well, but not under most recent changes. I doubt it will change anything though.

I just downloaded the latest version of Trend Micro and tested the game with the programs in my exceptions list and it did not work.

Trend Micro Titanium 2012

Version: 5.0.1280 (Component versions)

Type: Full version

I have owned this game for two weeks now and have not been able to play it. :( I am very interested in this game and would rather we get it working than refund the cost. Any other suggestions, logs or debug flags I can try?

Nothing from Elicense but I did get some more tips from Scott:

First and foremost can they confirm that the LicCtrl service is running? (Goto the Control Panel, from there they can search for services and get into the list. They should then ensure that LicCtrl (c:\windows\runservice.exe ) is started and set to start automatically.

If this doesn't work they can try using safe mode with network support to see if the game will start up.

Nothing from Elicense but I did get some more tips from Scott:

First and foremost can they confirm that the LicCtrl service is running? (Goto the Control Panel, from there they can search for services and get into the list. They should then ensure that LicCtrl (c:\windows\runservice.exe ) is started and set to start automatically.

If this doesn't work they can try using safe mode with network support to see if the game will start up.

The services is set to start automatically and was listed as started. I also tried restarting the service and then running the app. As a final test I stopped the service and ran the app, that caused the service to start again, but still nothing came up.

I tried rebooting in safe mode with network support and noted the service did not start automatically. I tried starting it and got a message that the service could not be started in safe mode. Does it run in safe mode for you?

Hmmm, you are correct. It won't start in safe mode for me either. Let's try this:

In the windows search box in the start menu, type msconfig and hit enter. It should open the system configuration utility. Make note of what your current startup selection on the general tab is and then set it to selective startup. Uncheck the box that says "Load startup items". Then go to the Services tab and uncheck the box for Windows Firewall and the one for Trend Micro Solution Platform if you have it. Click apply then ok and it will ask you to reboot. Let the computer reboot and then try running the game. If it does not run verify that the LicCtrl service is running and then try again.

A couple more options:

Have you ever ran your computer with multiple monitors that you don't have now? Or at a larger resolution than now? My theory here is that the Elicense window is opening off the screen. Select the FBCB program window in the taskbar then hit Alt+Space then M. Now you can use the arrow keys to move the window back onto the visible displays. In this case I would try moving it to the left and see if it appears on the screen. My theory here is based on the fact that it was my understanding that the other elicense games likely shouldn't run even if they are already licensed when there is a issue with the licensing service. It should be an all or nothing situation.

Alternatively, try downloading TEW2007 and running it. Does it act the same as FBCB or no? I'd like to rule out something I've done due to the fact that other games work.

http://72.29.67.246/GDS/TEW2007setup.exe

A couple more options:

Have you ever ran your computer with multiple monitors that you don't have now? Or at a larger resolution than now? My theory here is that the Elicense window is opening off the screen. Select the FBCB program window in the taskbar then hit Alt+Space then M. Now you can use the arrow keys to move the window back onto the visible displays. In this case I would try moving it to the left and see if it appears on the screen. My theory here is based on the fact that it was my understanding that the other elicense games likely shouldn't run even if they are already licensed when there is a issue with the licensing service. It should be an all or nothing situation.

Alternatively, try downloading TEW2007 and running it. Does it act the same as FBCB or no? I'd like to rule out something I've done due to the fact that other games work.

http://72.29.67.246/GDS/TEW2007setup.exe

I do have a dual monitor setup. I tried your Alt+Space solution (never knew about that, very cool!). Unfortunately, either that wasn't the problem or I was unable to get it moved onto the screen. I tried your TEW2007 download and when I run the app it says "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application." I tried re-downloading the file and installing again but the same thing happened.

For grins, I decided to run Bowl Bound (it's been a while since I played it), got the same error as above. I then ran DDS:CB2, it worked fine. I think it uses eLicense as well, but I could be wrong. I'm going to reboot and try again just in case there is a file locked or something right now.

I just rebooted and tried Bowl Bound and TEW 2007 again, same error. Bowl Bound is already register with eLicense and has worked on this computer in the past. I checked my save games and the last save game I have for Bowl Bound is from last February. I tried running bowl bound from the start menu and I tried right clicking and choosing run as administrator from the install directory.

OK, since we know that Bowl Bound doesn't work and TEW2007 doesn't work that proves that the elicense component isn't working. DDS:CB2 doesn't use elicense so that is why it runs with no issues here. Everything I can find research wise is still pointing back to the Windows DEP settings. With the antivirus still uninstalled and while using the selective startup with Windows Firewall disabled, I'd like to try it again. According to my research on other sites, it may take multiple times before the exception works properly. You may need to "Delete" the exceptions you have added and then re-add them. Once you have done that, reboot and try the game again once you've booted back up. If the game still doesn't launch try deleting the exceptions one more time and re-adding them again (and again, rebooting to have the settings take effect).

There is a discussion of the process here:

http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=62&nav=0,2

I had "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:" with the two you told me to add to the list. I switched it to "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" and Bowl Bound began to work again (which makes sense). Fast Break still does not work though.

Archived