Laptops

juggaloninjalee

I don't know much about laptops/computers. I'm wanting to get a laptop as right now I have a 6 year old HP desktop and think it is time for something new.

If I get the laptop I am really thinking about using it for the forums I visit, email, Microsoft Office, my ipod, and TEW primarily.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+17.3%22+Satellite+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Matrix+Graphite/4792267.p?id=1218529552081&skuId=4792267

That is the 1 I am looking at. Seems like it may be more than I need though. What are your thoughts and opinions? I will not spend more than $500 for a laptop though. Just can't justify it right now and probably won't be able to for awhile.

That's actually a pretty decent laptop. Generally, any Laptop with a dedicated graphics card (as opposed to onboard graphics) is going to be towards the upper end of things.

If the most demanding thing you're going to use it for is TEW, then that laptop is probably overkill. You could probably run some reasonably graphically-intensive games on that thing if you had a mind to. Probably not on 'high' detail, mind, but you'd probably get them running.

Bear in mind I have a dual-core laptop with 2GB RAM (so essentially half the spec of the one you're linked to) that I bought about three or four years ago, and it does all those things you want and plenty more on top.

On the other hand, it's the eternal dilemma of PC shopping - do you pay out a little more and get a high-end PC now that lasts you five years, or do you get a cheaper model now and need to upgrade it a little sooner? Personally, if you're able to afford the model you've linked to without hurting yourself financially, I'd go for it. A machine like that should easily last you the next 5-6 years barring any monstrous leaps forward in technology, so $450 now to last you five years is better than having to spend $250 now and needing to replace it with another $250 laptop in 2 years' time.

I got a DELL laptop from best buy just before christmas and it was the slowest and worst running computer I have ever bought. I returned it and got an ASUS laptop, it was the same price ($350) and it runs great. I don't really know much about computers either but I can tell you that I love my ASUS.

Mmhmm. I've also heard similarly horrible things about Dell laptops. Never used one myself, so can't comment too much, but folks whose opinions I trust have sworn never to buy Dell again.

One thing to note is that Laptops in particular tend to come bundled with an awful lot of crapware that strangles the system. If/when you do get a new machine, make sure you google and run a program called the 'decrapifier'. I always make it one of the VERY first things I do upon getting a new laptop out of the box - it goes through all the junk that manufacturers shovel onto the machine and gets rid of it.

I think that's too much computer, personally. For what you want to use it for, you could go with a $199 Wal-Mart special and accomplish that with some money left over to buy a real computer (read: a desktop). I have a Compaq laptop I got some years ago from a Best Buy/CompUSA/Circuit City (or somebody) $99 Black Friday dealie and it still does what I want it to do. I can even play EVE on medium settings on it (good for logging in and changing/updating skill training. I wouldn't PvP with it).

If money is an issue, I'd say look at something a bit more modest. Unless you see using this laptop as a primary gaming rig, there's really no reason to overspend for what amounts to an accessory. Do you own an iPad? Why not? The same reason you have for that could help with this decision. For the record, I have a Kindle Fire (and money isn't an issue) because I'm never far enough away from a (real) computer to really have use for the iPad's unique features (or justify its cost). Upgrading my existing Kindle though, was an easy decision.

Oh and in my opinion, prefab computers all suck. If you read the terms of your warranty (especially with Dell/Alienware), there is/used to be a clause that invalidated your warranty if you opened your case (and broke the seal they put in it). That was a ploy to keep you dependent on their "technicians" in Bangalore, reading from scripts to provide "technical support" (at how much per minute/session?). Nowadays, with custom builds so easy to do, there's really little reason to buy a prefab (that you're stuck with until you replace it). Heck, I have computers that are 8+ years old in some form (usually the case) but I just rotate stuff in and out and upgrade on the fly. Cheaper that way and I can customize it to exactly my specifications and needs.

I think that's too much computer, personally. For what you want to use it for, you could go with a $199 Wal-Mart special and accomplish that with some money left over to buy a real computer (read: a desktop). I have a Compaq laptop I got some years ago from a Best Buy/CompUSA/Circuit City (or somebody) $99 Black Friday dealie and it still does what I want it to do. I can even play EVE on medium settings on it (good for logging in and changing/updating skill training. I wouldn't PvP with it).

If money is an issue, I'd say look at something a bit more modest. Unless you see using this laptop as a primary gaming rig, there's really no reason to overspend for what amounts to an accessory. Do you own an iPad? Why not? The same reason you have for that could help with this decision. For the record, I have a Kindle Fire (and money isn't an issue) because I'm never far enough away from a (real) computer to really have use for the iPad's unique features (or justify its cost). Upgrading my existing Kindle though, was an easy decision.

I don't have an ipad. I have an 80gb ipod though. Don't use an e-reader. Kind of delaying the inevitable. Prefer to have the actual book in my hand usually.

I do more console games. Wouldn't mind playing that new Star Wars MMO. It looks like a fun game but probably wouldn't get too into many video games.

Money isn't an issue at all but I don't see the need to spend $500 for what I use computers for right now.

Archived